Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Orvillainy

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Orvillainy

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here


Unknown User on

Posts

  • Options
    XoanderXoander Registered User new member
    No transporters must be hard to get things moved around it's a shame there are no teleporters.

  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Saw this drawn live, it was lovely.

    The hot dog fairy is gold because
    they were holding it hostage, had him in a little cage on the table and he was only gonna be released if they hit a certain Child's Play donation goal, which they forgot to mention for the first 20 minutes. It was trucking along alright for a while and then someone donated over $10,000 outta nowhere.

    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    It's a really good show. It doesn't bother to hide the star trek influences but avoids being a parody (of star trek or sci-fi in general).

    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    I wanted to like Orville, but it was too frustrating for me to watch. It had potential for sure, and there were difinately elements of it I enjoyed, but it was just too full of poorly conceived notions and overt stupidity from its characters that just broke my ability to suspend disbelief. Bortus in particular just started grating on me like a cheese grater. It felt like every other episode he was utterly derailing the ships mission to deal with his issues. When he almost got the ship destroyed from a virus because of his porn addiction in the same episode he drove his mate to murder, just an episode after making the ship take a side trip to take a piss, just a few episodes after making them litigate a court case for his kids gender.... it was just a bridge too far for me and I had to stop watching. It made me sad, because as I said, the serries had so much potential, but it felt too often squandered, and could have been made so much better if there was just someone giving things a 2nd pass - it felt like it needed an editor.

  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    yeah that donation was ridiculous. it was really something to feel the joy, panic, and then joy wash through the room while we saw the donation come in, wondered if it was for real, and then ultimately saw the PA staff confirm it. they even had to adjust the little donation tracker thing to have enough spaces to hold all the numbers without getting cut off.

    kudos to whoever donated.

  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Thanatosia wrote: »
    I wanted to like Orville, but it was too frustrating for me to watch. It had potential for sure, and there were difinately elements of it I enjoyed, but it was just too full of poorly conceived notions and overt stupidity from its characters that just broke my ability to suspend disbelief. Bortus in particular just started grating on me like a cheese grater. It felt like every other episode he was utterly derailing the ships mission to deal with his issues. When he almost got the ship destroyed from a virus because of his porn addiction in the same episode he drove his mate to murder, just an episode after making the ship take a side trip to take a piss, just a few episodes after making them litigate a court case for his kids gender.... it was just a bridge too far for me and I had to stop watching. It made me sad, because as I said, the serries had so much potential, but it felt too often squandered, and could have been made so much better if there was just someone giving things a 2nd pass - it felt like it needed an editor.

    I don't mind the Bortus-focused episodes that much because it's basically an exploration of how dealing with cultures of other species would be like... obviously exaggerated because it's a comedy but the idea that there would be cultural clashes in such a scenario. And in the end it is a comedy, so things like a porn virus nearly destroying the ship has to be viewed in that light... kind of how like the 90s Street Fighter you have to remember that it was meant to be an action/comedy and not straight up action. They do rely on Bortus too much for those plot hooks, I'll concede, but I think by now they'll be focusing more on the Krill.

    The way they do it, in a serious space opera? Yeah, porn virus destroying a military ship and everyone being more or less okay with it wouldn't fly. But it's not 100% serious.

    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    The 2 episodes I've seen had to do with the virus and peeing excursion. I think I would like the show more if they just released that Bortus out of the airlock.

  • Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Seems like "Orville" would be a pretty terrible name for a spaceship, as he's best known for being unable to fly.

  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    bsctgod wrote: »
    The 2 episodes I've seen had to do with the virus and peeing excursion. I think I would like the show more if they just released that Bortus out of the airlock.

    Season 2 has heavily overdone Moclan stories with Bortus, but they've had two really good ones among it - in one he had a holodeck porn addiction that not only endangered his marriage but downloaded malware into the ship's network. In another he learned about tobacco and every scene about it was a welcome laugh to offset an incredibly creepy and uncomfortable A plot with Gordon and his make believe waifu.

  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »
    Seems like "Orville" would be a pretty terrible name for a spaceship, as he's best known for being unable to fly.

    That’s definitely where my mind first went, but I feel like to an American the connotation is one of the Wright Brothers

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »
    Seems like "Orville" would be a pretty terrible name for a spaceship, as he's best known for being unable to fly.

    That’s definitely where my mind first went, but I feel like to an American the connotation is one of the Wright Brothers
    This is correct.

    Popcorn is a close second, though.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    My number one problem with any tv serial is when they make a character hold the stupid ball. Lucifer really went downhill as a result.

    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    My number one problem with any tv serial is when they make a character hold the stupid ball. Lucifer really went downhill as a result.

    It's best when the characters switch off who's the idiot/crazy person and who's the straight-man/voice of reason based on context (one of the strengths of PA).

    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    My number one problem with any tv serial is when they make a character hold the stupid ball. Lucifer really went downhill as a result.

    It's best when the characters switch off who's the idiot/crazy person and who's the straight-man/voice of reason based on context (one of the strengths of PA).

    Orville generally does a decent job of this. Gordon's always an idiot, but depending on the situation and who's on the away team sometimes it's LaMarr or Bortus filling in as the designated stupid person for an episode. Isaac also does a great "stupid smart guy" routine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g43Ijp0HsCI

    Hevach on
  • Options
    vanner11vanner11 Registered User regular
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Homage. It does things it's own way, even has several episodes that feel like they're calling out Star Trek for stupid Prime Directive shit, particularly with the Union's policies on first contact and extinction.

    It's even a little better on the single trait species thing. It's got those certainly, but the three aliens in the main cast were all fake outs in that way, seemingly one Trekish architype and then being revealed either slowly or abruptly in Isaac's case to be something entirely different. The show's Vulcan knockoff was abruptly revealed to be the Borg like three episodes ago.

    Hevach on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hevach wrote: »
    Homage. It does things it's own way, even has several episodes that feel like they're calling out Star Trek for stupid Prime Directive shit, particularly with the Union's policies on first contact and extinction.

    Wait, isn't that "parody" rather than "homage"?

    dennis on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    dennis wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Homage. It does things it's own way, even has several episodes that feel like they're calling out Star Trek for stupid Prime Directive shit, particularly with the Union's policies on first contact and extinction./quote]

    Wait, isn't that "parody" rather than "homage"?

    I think the distinction is that an homage pays respect, while parody is mocking. So, as far as I know (having never watched The Orville), it is both.

    YoungFrey on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I expected this comic to be about popcorn.

  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Homage. It does things it's own way, even has several episodes that feel like they're calling out Star Trek for stupid Prime Directive shit, particularly with the Union's policies on first contact and extinction./quote]

    Wait, isn't that "parody" rather than "homage"?

    I think the distinction is that an homage pays respect, while parody is mocking. So, as far as I know (having never watched The Orville), it is both.
    It is both, but it's more homage than parody since MacFarlane actually loves Star Trek.

    sig.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Homage. It does things it's own way, even has several episodes that feel like they're calling out Star Trek for stupid Prime Directive shit, particularly with the Union's policies on first contact and extinction./quote]

    Wait, isn't that "parody" rather than "homage"?

    I think the distinction is that an homage pays respect, while parody is mocking. So, as far as I know (having never watched The Orville), it is both.
    It is both, but it's more homage than parody since MacFarlane actually loves Star Trek.

    He must be jazzed every time a ST alum agrees to a cameo (Robert Picardo in 2 eps, Marina Sirtis in the most recent). Even though her role in DS9 was secondary at best, having Penny Johnson as a main crew regular still makes me happy.

  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Frakes has directed for the show, too.

    sig.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.