As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    We did have a real problem tho with certain Outlook add-ons, and we hit critical mass with the proliferation of add-ons

Phone system unified communications add-ons, Acrobat add-ons, CRM add-ons, etc

Disabling all but the critical ones improved end-user experience immensely

(So did getting the fuck off of Windows 7 32-bit)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't think I have deleted emails in 10 years, and I have the largest email inbox of my entire staff, get the largest flow of emails, and most of the staff share email accounts (reception/lab/etc). I am using about 2.5gb

How are people using more than 10gb? Are y'all sending ISOs via email?

Images.

In every fucking mail.

Fucking thiiiiissss. I worked for a payroll company doing IT work for them once that handled everything in securePDF formats. Back when exchange 2010 was the norm and the dreaded "If your mailbox exceeds 5gb in size, while running cached exchange mode, microsoft basically says, too-bad-so-sad, reduce the size of your mailbox or rebuild your local copy lol" problems.

The OST limit in Outlook 2010 + Exchange 2010 was 50GB.

(Though you could start having problems with the search index around 40GB.)

Interesting, I wonder whether the 5gig limit we were advised was to deal with slower computers we ran maybe? I just remember our MS rep and all of my senior IT managers parroted the line so much I took it as gospel.

I honestly don't know where they got 5GB.

The old ANSI format for OST had a 2GB limitation. The Unicode format that increased that to 20GB came around in Outlook 2007 (it might have been a 2003 service pack), but it wasn't the default for new OSTs. So if somebody did an in-place upgrade, they might still have a 2GB limitation. Then Outlook 2010 both made it the default and increased it to 50GB.

If they were saying that the limit was 2GB or 20GB, then sure I'd assume they learned that in the days of Outlook 2007 and just didn't know it'd increased. But I don't know where a 5GB number would have come from.

Maybe there was a backup system that couldn't do granular restores with a mailbox over 5GB? I dunno.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The #1 use case we have to account for at all times is video streaming, and UHD streaming is 25Mbps. You won't be doing anything else with your connection at that time, but you'll be doing that. We also run into a lot of houses with multiple simultaneous Netflix HD streams.

I do hear you guys on the steam downloads, but I also feel like they are easy to work around. I buy and install games on my PC by pushing a button in the steam app on my phone, stuff's already downloaded and installed and patched when I get home. This isn't to say you shouldn't grab higher capacities if they're available, but sometimes people attach weird value to it that's, IMO, not totally deserved.

Most ISPs, but CenturyLink especially, word their packages as "up to" for a reason. In the years where we were a reseller, I was constantly talking prospective customers out of packages that CenturyLink approved them for, but I knew wouldn't come close. However, that being said, if you are paying for service that is "Up to 1Gbps" and you are only getting 250 Mbps for $65/month, you're getting what you paid for. They are not going to cordon off 1Gbps of capacity for you at that price. 500 Mbps DIA service goes for $1800 for a reason. While I don't recommend sticking with CenturyLink, especially if you have better options, 250 Mbps during peak hours is still a steal at $65/month.

EDIT: Also, before someone says, "My friend has" or "Well I have", you maybe do, and maybe your friend does, but again if they're not paying for DIA service, which they absolutely are not because it is crazy expensive for both the customer and the provider (I tried with one customer and I ended up backing out because I realized how much I'd have to charge to make money on it), they are going to eventually be in the same position unless they are living in an Amish community.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I don't think I have deleted emails in 10 years, and I have the largest email inbox of my entire staff, get the largest flow of emails, and most of the staff share email accounts (reception/lab/etc). I am using about 2.5gb

How are people using more than 10gb? Are y'all sending ISOs via email?

Images.

In every fucking mail.

Fucking thiiiiissss. I worked for a payroll company doing IT work for them once that handled everything in securePDF formats. Back when exchange 2010 was the norm and the dreaded "If your mailbox exceeds 5gb in size, while running cached exchange mode, microsoft basically says, too-bad-so-sad, reduce the size of your mailbox or rebuild your local copy lol" problems.

The OST limit in Outlook 2010 + Exchange 2010 was 50GB.

(Though you could start having problems with the search index around 40GB.)

Interesting, I wonder whether the 5gig limit we were advised was to deal with slower computers we ran maybe? I just remember our MS rep and all of my senior IT managers parroted the line so much I took it as gospel.

I honestly don't know where they got 5GB.

The old ANSI format for OST had a 2GB limitation. The Unicode format that increased that to 20GB came around in Outlook 2007 (it might have been a 2003 service pack), but it wasn't the default for new OSTs. So if somebody did an in-place upgrade, they might still have a 2GB limitation. Then Outlook 2010 both made it the default and increased it to 50GB.

If they were saying that the limit was 2GB or 20GB, then sure I'd assume they learned that in the days of Outlook 2007 and just didn't know it'd increased. But I don't know where a 5GB number would have come from.

Maybe there was a backup system that couldn't do granular restores with a mailbox over 5GB? I dunno.

Not sure if relevant, but I do remember ancient versions of Exchange, back when I was a Windows guy, doing something funky with their virtual storage that limited them to like 40 GB for the entire enterprise.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Outlook most definitely had trouble with psts over 2 gigs even after it supported larger sizes. O365 hosted boxes don't have that kind of trouble though.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Honestly massive email inboxes wouldn't even be a thing if people had access to the proper integrated tools from the start to manage shared files. Entire fortunes have been made by jerry-rigging shitty solutions like Sharepoint to enable people to share their work when the easiest thing for them to do has always been to just send it as an attachment in an email.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I have so many engineers that refuse to use any of the collaboration tools. Won't use drop box, won't drop it in slack, won't put it up on confluence. Instead I get continued iterations of the same docx or pptx emailed around my team until the conversation is 50mb+. Oh, look some one tried to zip it and it got stripped so now they're resending it as a .piz to get around the email filter.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    My company solved that by hard limiting everyone's archive to 1gb and autodeleting emails with no retention policy after 90 days.
    They've since caved and upped to 2 gb, but people definitely use the heck out of sharing tools.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    We do so many mail server migrations that we bought a tool that automates a lot of the process. You basically just install it on both exchange servers, tell it what you want to migrate and kick off the transfer. It has error recovery, deduplication and a bunch of other snazzy features that the project team use to make the migration easier.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Shit my downloads from steam are 80mbit/sec if I open it full throttle (I'm on gigabit). 25mbit is what I'd expect form esoteric or rural broadband, or suburban broadband from 2012.

Thawmus works for a rural WISP, so that checks out.

100Mb/s feels pretty comfortable for my home internet. Comcast bumped me to 150 and I didn't even notice until I saw the free upgrade on my bill. I could probably do 50Mb/s without even feeling it.

Netflix HD uses roughly 7Mb/s. YouTube at 1080p is around 4Mb/s. Online games are generally pretty optimized so they use less than 1Mb/s.

So I could totally see a household of non-techies being happy on 25Mb/s. (Assuming you don't get some of the other limitations of wireless, like weather sensitivity or packet loss.)

Honestly, 75% of the time I could get by with 25 down on my home connection. if I had 50 down that would cover 95% of my daily use.

But I also said the same thing about 10 down a number of years ago.

right now I have 300 down and that's more than enough, and should be more than enough for the foreseeable future. What I really want, is more than 15 up. that's where a lot of ISP's are lagging. I can only get a max of 25 up, and that's on a plan with 600 down and would cost about 40% more than what I pay now.

GIVE ME MORE UPLOAD.

If I was living alone, 50 would be more than enough atm I think. But I also really like how when I'm downloading a game on steam at 80mbit/sec my entire system is still usable and I can stream on my TV while it happens without it looking like I'm watching a VHS from 1980.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Hey now, a VHS from 1980 would probably look a lot better on a similarly sized screen of the time. Back in the 80s they still made tape players with high quality parts. A brand new player with a brand new VHS copy of say Back to the Future, connected to a good TV via composite will look remarkably clear compared to the noisy low-quality mess that is a low bandwidth stream.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Shit my downloads from steam are 80mbit/sec if I open it full throttle (I'm on gigabit). 25mbit is what I'd expect form esoteric or rural broadband, or suburban broadband from 2012.

Thawmus works for a rural WISP, so that checks out.

100Mb/s feels pretty comfortable for my home internet. Comcast bumped me to 150 and I didn't even notice until I saw the free upgrade on my bill. I could probably do 50Mb/s without even feeling it.

Netflix HD uses roughly 7Mb/s. YouTube at 1080p is around 4Mb/s. Online games are generally pretty optimized so they use less than 1Mb/s.

So I could totally see a household of non-techies being happy on 25Mb/s. (Assuming you don't get some of the other limitations of wireless, like weather sensitivity or packet loss.)

Honestly, 75% of the time I could get by with 25 down on my home connection. if I had 50 down that would cover 95% of my daily use.

But I also said the same thing about 10 down a number of years ago.

right now I have 300 down and that's more than enough, and should be more than enough for the foreseeable future. What I really want, is more than 15 up. that's where a lot of ISP's are lagging. I can only get a max of 25 up, and that's on a plan with 600 down and would cost about 40% more than what I pay now.

GIVE ME MORE UPLOAD.

If I was living alone, 50 would be more than enough atm I think. But I also really like how when I'm downloading a game on steam at 80mbit/sec my entire system is still usable and I can stream on my TV while it happens without it looking like I'm watching a VHS from 1980.

The real sweet spot as an ISP is to have the burst available for your customers (Bowen wants to download a game and can do it at 80Mbps for like 10 minutes), but to always have enough breathing room for regular usage (streaming).

Having burst available on wireless is difficult because a lot of rural folks will stream video for 11+ hours a day (lots of retirees and stay-at-homes in rural America), and the technology is barely keeping up with video streaming demands. We pretty much got our customers up to 25 Mbps a year after UHD streaming was a thing, and many other WISP's still tell their customers they won't support UHD streaming, period.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have to regularly update runtime on a pump that pulls water from the local river for cooling (EPA requirements). I'm not sending an incremental Excel file via email when I can toss it on my SharePoint and tell the guy who needs the data to go get it.

The previous person who managed the logging used the email method and I shut that shit down.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Nope, not going to go through your computer and transfer over all your personal *cough* business files that you just dump on the C: drive because you're lazy. Have moving all that to your new computer.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    I'm on an implementation project. Let's call it Project Z. The project "manager" (I use the term loosely) has a deadline set for Project Z but the major SaaS vendor for Z is saying that they can't spin up a new company on their service in time for us to meet that deadline. They're adamant.

So the project manager keeps asking them "what if you do it this way?" and "but what if you do it that way?" but the vendor is adamant that spinning up a new company requires X amount of days at a minimum and there's no way to get past that. Yet he keeps asking as if there's a magic combination of words that will make the vendor suddenly go "oh, yeah, now we can do it!"

I'm embarrassed on our behalf.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    To those who work in or around the industry and maybe even do hiring. I have an interview next week for a networking/security gig. I am...very nervous and spending my days studying, but I was wondering what some of the things that people typically seem to miss or somehow not know that they should when starting or interviewing. I need to know what to look at beyond my basics.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    technical expertise is important.

personality and people skills are equally, if not more in some cases, important.

be confident. even your "I don't know, but here is how I would find out!" answer should be confident.

remember that "I don't know!" isn't a wrong answer. don't lie.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    To those who work in or around the industry and maybe even do hiring. I have an interview next week for a networking/security gig. I am...very nervous and spending my days studying, but I was wondering what some of the things that people typically seem to miss or somehow not know that they should when starting or interviewing. I need to know what to look at beyond my basics.

I've seen this one happen a few times.

When you get a question asking you to roleplay a troubleshoot, there is usually no right answer even if there is a right answer. Don't get stuck in a loop where they tell you "that didn't turn out to be it, what else will you try?" and you get stuck on what the problem usually is in the real world. They're asking you to show them all the tools in your toolbox, not solve a real problem.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Conversely, if a non-tech does that to you in an interview, you're just fucked.

Ask me how I know.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Got one of those once. They presented the problem and I started off by saying it sounded like a DNS issue "but lets start at the basics"

Of the two interviewers, one was happy that I knew the "correct" answer. The other (who didn't like me from the start) said something shitty like I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. :rotate:

Huh...
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    FF wrote: »
    Got one of those once. They presented the problem and I started off by saying it sounded like a DNS issue "but lets start at the basics"

Of the two interviewers, one was happy that I knew the "correct" answer. The other (who didn't like me from the start) said something shitty like I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. :rotate:

It's always dns.

• Options
    Yeah and DNS is something I had someone tell me I should brush up on "Its always a hot issue and a lot of people don't know much about it" which yeah, all I know from my experience about DNS is that its the Domain Name Server, it converts readable addresses (www.penny-arcade.com) into IP addresses. I know IPv4 uses A and IPv6 uses AAAA records and DNS tunneling is how Home Depot and Target got hit with their credit card stuff. Its also is how software stuff checks ID version.

Its weird that i learned so little about something so major. So yeah I'm spending the weekend in a DNS hole. Also brushing up on what you can do with Windows Group Policy Editor since I only messed with it a little bit.

• Options
    Learning how to properly use group policy is both a good thing and a fast ticket to being frustrated that nobody will listen to you or use it correctly.

• Options
    Learning how to properly use group policy is both a good thing and a fast ticket to being frustrated that nobody will listen to you or use it correctly.

As a Group Policy admin, a support this statement.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah and DNS is something I had someone tell me I should brush up on "Its always a hot issue and a lot of people don't know much about it" which yeah, all I know from my experience about DNS is that its the Domain Name Server, it converts readable addresses (www.penny-arcade.com) into IP addresses. I know IPv4 uses A and IPv6 uses AAAA records and DNS tunneling is how Home Depot and Target got hit with their credit card stuff. Its also is how software stuff checks ID version.

Its weird that i learned so little about something so major. So yeah I'm spending the weekend in a DNS hole. Also brushing up on what you can do with Windows Group Policy Editor since I only messed with it a little bit.

As unorthodox as the speaker is, I so, so highly recommend this person's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZtFk2dtqv0&t=4s

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    crosspoast
    This is a pretty milquetoast vulnerability but I appreciate Vanilla for taking it seriously.

Other companies have far worse situations all the time but don't treat it with the same urgency.

Thumbs-up to Vanilla for being ahead of the curve.

• Options

DNS is very easy.

A DNS server is a glorified database with IP addresses and hostnames (and record types).

You send a DNS query on UDP port 35 to a DNS server, usually that query contains a domain name and a record type (usually A record) and it responds with an IP address.

You send www.penny-arcade.com to a DNS server on UDP/35 and it responds with 34.98.75.234.

It gets a little more complicated than that in the real world but not much. Still nothing a reasonable smart person with two brain cells to rub together can't figure out.

• Options
    Different types of DNS records get a little more complicated. The basic type of DNS record is A. That takes a domain name (like www.penny-arcade.com) and translates it to an IP address (34.98.75.234).

Other record types are slightly weirder, but not much.

DNS is the foundation to so much stuff on the Internet, and it's so easy to understand on its own, that there's really no excuse for learning it top to bottom.

DTXfqJ7WkAAiTRC?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    ...is comic sans part of the joke?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Of the other entries, the most interesting is the SPF (then again Exchange administrator, so obviously my focus lies there). Simply said: you make a record in DNS that says which IP-adresses and DNS-entries are allowed to mail on behalf of your domain.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    SPF turns into its own special hell.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Look like I'll be moving to interview stage with the new company.

If this happens it's a big move for me.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

As unorthodox as the speaker is, I so, so highly recommend this person's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZtFk2dtqv0&t=4s

Wow, I've been watching these and A) I hate how good these are and B) the music at the end of the videos is the generic hold music from like Comcast and its bringing back bad memories

• Options
    Yeah, just based on the thumbnail, I'm going to have to take a HARD pass. I can't take anyone who dresses like that seriously.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's actually kind of sad because if you watch it, the content is very good. I think this guy is going after a thing that really doesn't have to be a thing. His content is legitimately good enough to stand on its own. I say this not knowing anything about the subject matter and only having watched 5 minutes of the linked video, but I found it very compelling and likely would watch all of them if it was my field.

• Options
    Yeah he talks about technology topics in a pretty frank and easy to understand way and starts on the bottom and builds up. He speaks well and is a good teacher. But for some reason he does them all dressed like a cat you would see if you dropped acid.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Or you could just take the information and not make such a big deal about how someone is dressed.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Seidkona wrote: »
    Or you could just take the information and not make such a big deal about how someone is dressed.

How you present information is also important. If that way is so distracting that the actual content is being ignored, missed, or forgotten then you are failing in your purpose of delivering your message. It's like listening to a presentation where their microphone is giving constant screeching feedback. You're going to focus more on that to the detriment of what they are saying.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    🤦‍♀️

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Today I'm pushing out a macos update for our sorely out of date machines. I warned people last week this was happening in person. I sent an email on Monday to remind them and give specific instructions. This morning I reminded them again.

I have had several people this morning say "but I need to use it during that time!"

I didn't expect otherwise, and I'm still disappointed.

This discussion has been closed.