As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people use their work email for all kinds of personal things such as house insurance or bank information.

Because firstname.lastname@company.com is much more professional looking than ponyfucker6969@aol.com

At my work, it is even more prevalent because we block personal email from the work network.
    Yeah, this is why I advocate for allowing access to webmail providers at work. Yeah yeah I know, data leakage and all that but maybe YOU can deal with the executive that set up a Facebook account for her daughter using her own work email address, and then later wants you to block Facebook emails at the spam filter because they started to annoy her. (She eventually tried calling Facebook support, which is a thing, I guess?)

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'll never understand why people use their work email for all kinds of personal things such as house insurance or bank information.

Because firstname.lastname@company.com is much more professional looking than ponyfucker6969@aol.com

At my work, it is even more prevalent because we block personal email from the work network.
    Yeah, this is why I advocate for allowing access to webmail providers at work. Yeah yeah I know, data leakage and all that but maybe YOU can deal with the executive that set up a Facebook account for her daughter using her own work email address, and then later wants you to block Facebook emails at the spam filter because they started to annoy her. (She eventually tried calling Facebook support, which is a thing, I guess?)

I agree except it's a different game when you're dealing with patient health information.

We explicitly don't block email on our guest network, so if you want to get your personal email you can, but you can't access hospital systems from the guest network so it eliminates the possibility that someone will send PHI over personal email due to ignorance.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular

I've run into some of those and had to ask the people if it's a real address cause I'm about to block it... they say yes and I'm just like "oh... :( "

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

I agree except it's a different game when you're dealing with patient health information.

We explicitly don't block email on our guest network, so if you want to get your personal email you can, but you can't access hospital systems from the guest network so it eliminates the possibility that someone will send PHI over personal email due to ignorance.
    Oh, totally, that’s a different kind of environment than ours. As of right now, we don’t allow employees on our contractor WiFi (my boss is nervous about filtering it for some reason even though all of the WiFi SSIDs are filtered now anyway). But all of that is a different game now that people have access to a cell phone to receive personal email on.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Seems like some big DNS issues worldwide right now... days after a major vulnerability in Windows DNS was found... mmm...

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Seems like some big DNS issues worldwide right now... days after a major vulnerability in Windows DNS was found... mmm...

I hope to Christ the major DNS providers aren't using Windows for their DNS servers.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    it still disconnects on logout, which is still way less than ideal, but at least it doesn't disconnect when it locks anymore.

But now Dell has more updates. Doesn't seem to be one of those things where Windows and Dell keep installing their own version of the driver (though I remember dealing with that a few years ago), but we'll see.

Bleh! I should just install Pop!OS and let god sort'em out.

By default, when first connecting to a network, PSK wifi profiles should be created as an "All User Profile". And if it is an all user wifi profile, it should stay connected even after logout. It's possible the wifi profile was instead saved only for the current user which would make it disconnect when logged out. Open a command prompt and run "netsh wlan show profiles" to check.

If you are using user account auth, then disconnecting when the account logs out is normal. In that case if you want pre-logon connectivity, you'd need to use machine certificate authentication so the computer can log into the wifi itself, not the user.

My EAP-TLS WiFi network is pushed out by Group Policy as a computer setting, which means it gets applied to the machine, not the user

:cool:

git gud my dudes

How do they get the initial policy?

Initial laptop imaging & provisioning is done over wired Ethernet.

Late edit: on a subnet specifically carved out for that purpose

at the moment, initial laptop provisioning still has to be done on-premises at our HQ. that probably isn't going to change even though our IT staff is mostly working from home (we make occasional visits to HQ when necessary... like when we need to provision a batch of laptops)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options

I hope to Christ the major DNS providers aren't using Windows for their DNS servers.

I very much doubt it, but god knows that there are multiple points between me and the root servers.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Major DNS providers probably not but they all get their records propagated from somewhere, and having Windows DNS is a thing at every company other than mine, so...

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Seems to have been Cloudflare:

Cloudflare Network and Resolver Issues
    Identified - The issue has been identified and a fix is being implemented.
    Jul 17, 21:46 UTC
    Investigating - Cloudflare is investigating issues with Cloudflare Resolver and our edge network in certain locations.

Customers using Cloudflare services in certain regions are impacted as requests might fail and/or errors may be displayed.

Data Centers impacted include: SJC, DFW, SEA, LAX, ORD, IAD, EWR, ATL, LHR, AMS, FRA, CDG
    Jul 17, 21:37 UTC

• Options
    Unofficial reports suggest that with Cloudflare being down, Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are getting hammered.

Not sure if that's true.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's all back up now. Cloudflare's statement was it was bad routes on a backbone router and definitely not an attack. Google may still have just been hammered enough to cause issues while 1.1.1.1 was fucked.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I took today off

I am a genius

• Options
    That almost seems unlikely because the traffic on 1.1.1.1 was probably 8.8.8.8 traffic two years ago.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Cloudflare blog post on the outage, ultimate cause was a one line config change.

If you click through to the replies the author spends some time answering questions.

• Options
    I don't know why anyone would marry a doctor.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Potential alimony?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Asking checksum programs one and all, let me give you a file to compute a sum across AND just a hash and tell me if they match, in a single invocation.

No one ever gives a full checksum file and you know the file name is going to have 8 different minor versions in it which is a pain in the ass to copy on my own.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Dell... stop... two servers in a row they have shipped without rail kits. This one was delayed by a month as they waited for a cable management unit. Finally arrived, pull it out of the box, no rails, also no cable management unit...

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Dell... stop... two servers in a row they have shipped without rail kits. This one was delayed by a month as they waited for a cable management unit. Finally arrived, pull it out of the box, no rails, also no cable management unit...

Just set it on top of the old server. It'll be fine

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    It's on top of the old SAN. That's about as much use as that thing will get once everything has been migrated.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »

My servers had two sets of rail kits come in different boxes, maybe someone misplaced them?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Bowen why are you stealing rail kits?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't have to answer these questions, I'm not under arrest

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sir can you please speak clearly into the microphone, and remember you are under oath*

*under oath to always find a way to blame a user in the end

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Anyone here manage a wiki or document management system?

Now that our rollout of monitoring is successful (or at least strong enough that we can build on it ), the next project in my crosshairs is Confluence. We're expanding it department wide, and using it to replace our help desk's KB system.

My first thoughts are turning to organization, but I'll probably ask our librarians about that.

but more than that, I'm curious about security models. Right now we're making 3 AD groups per space/collection -- Viewer, Member, and Owner. These then get tied into the space's permissions. Which is fine, I guess. I'm just wondering if there are other considerations I should think about.

Ideally we'd institute a model where you have to login to see most data, and some data would be even more locked down if it was sensitive or specific to a team. Then we'd have public/anonymous access to other pages, perhaps published from the team pages to "system" pages. Not sure.

Our immediate goal is to publish a service catalog and listing of applications / software the university offers. This is needed for the new school year, especially to help with online learning.

Then there's also the considerations of our web team. We have a custom web portal and a bunch of documentation out there, but management has to go through the web team. I want to make sure they are integrated and onboard as much as possible. And again, that gets down to security and content curation.

I guess I'm mainly just looking for other examples/best practices in this sphere.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    We had a new printer set up this week. When I saw the techs wheeling the old one onto the elevator, I literally cheered.

I almost asked them to give me 15 minutes with it in the back parking lot, with a baseball bat.

• Options
    Has anybody successfully set up password hash synchronization between MS365 and on-premises AD?

I've been beating my head against this on and off for weeks now and I can't get it to work.

• Options
    Has anybody successfully set up password hash synchronization between MS365 and on-premises AD?

I've been beating my head against this on and off for weeks now and I can't get it to work.

I'm actually in the middle of doing it, but we are a subcontractor and the serviceaccount has not the right permissions so currently waiting on several approvals and some domain admin to grant the permissions to the account.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Is "Password hash synchronization" and "Password writeback" turned on in your on-prem AAD Connect under "Customize synchronization options -> Optional Features"?

Is "Password Hash Synchronization" selected in "Change user sign-in -> User Sign In"?

Is AAD Connect otherwise successfully synchronizing on-prem user objects to Azure?

Does your AD service account used for the sync have "Read All Properties", "Write All Properties", and "Reset Password" permissions applied to "Descendant User Objects" at the root of your domain in ADUC?

Does your AD service account used for the sync have "Replicating Directory Changes", and "Replicating Directory Changes All" applied to "This Object Only" at the root of your domain in ADUC?

If you use the Troubleshooting Tool in your on-prem AAD Connect, what are the results of the tests it runs?

You could try the powershell scripts at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/how-to-connect-configure-ad-ds-connector-account to set up the service account permissions as well.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

Is "Password hash synchronization" and "Password writeback" turned on in your on-prem AAD Connect under "Customize synchronization options -> Optional Features"?

Is "Password Hash Synchronization" selected in "Change user sign-in -> User Sign In"?

Is AAD Connect otherwise successfully synchronizing on-prem user objects to Azure?

Yes to all of these.
    If you use the Troubleshooting Tool in your on-prem AAD Connect, what are the results of the tests it runs?
    ========================================================================
    =                                                                      =
    =            Password Hash Synchronization General Diagnostics         =
    =                                                                      =
    ========================================================================

AAD Tenant - contoso.onmicrosoft.com
    Password Hash Synchronization cloud configuration is enabled

AD Connector - contoso.com
    Password Hash Synchronization is enabled
    Latest Password Hash Synchronization heartbeat is detected at: 07/28/2020 18:22:49 UTC

Directory Partitions:
            =====================
            Directory Partition - contoso.com
            Last successful attempt to synchronize passwords from this directory partition started at: 7/28/2020 6:48:49 PM UTC and ended at: 7/28/2020 6:48:49 PM UTC

Only Use Preferred Domain Controllers: False
            Checking connectivity to the domain...
            Domain "contoso.com" is reachable

Did you find Password Hash Sync General Diagnostics helpful? [y/n]: y

Does your AD service account used for the sync have "Read All Properties", "Write All Properties", and "Reset Password" permissions applied to "Descendant User Objects" at the root of your domain in ADUC?

Does your AD service account used for the sync have "Replicating Directory Changes", and "Replicating Directory Changes All" applied to "This Object Only" at the root of your domain in ADUC?

You could try the powershell scripts at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/how-to-connect-configure-ad-ds-connector-account to set up the service account permissions as well.

Good call. I should double-check the permissions. Thank you.

• Options
    Strange. That troubleshooter seems to indicate your password sync is working as expected. It should have spit out an error if your service account permissions were incorrect. You might try running the "one object is not syncing passwords" troubleshooter as there are some additional tests for object connector space rules in there.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Strange. That troubleshooter seems to indicate your password sync is working as expected. It should have spit out an error if your service account permissions were incorrect. You might try running the "one object is not syncing passwords" troubleshooter as there are some additional tests for object connector space rules in there.

Well, that gets me somewhere. I think.
    ===========================================================================
    =                                                                         =
    =         Password Hash Synchronization Single Object Diagnostics         =
    =                                                                         =
    ===========================================================================

List of AD Connectors:
    ----------------------
    contoso.com
    Password Hash Synchronization is enabled for AD Connector - contoso.com

Please enter AD connector space object Distinguished Name: CN=Azure Test,OU=Contoso Users,DC=contoso,DC=com

The object is available in the AD connector space - contoso.com
    The object is a connector, it has a link to the metaverse
    The object is synced to the AAD connector space

Password Hash Synchronization rule is found for AD connector space object

Name                             Direction LinkType EnablePasswordSync
    ----                             --------- -------- ------------------
    In from AD - User AccountEnabled   Inbound     Join               True

There is no Password Hash Synchronization rule for target AAD connector space object
    Please check synchronization rules or see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=847233

Did you find Password Hash Sync Single Object Diagnostics helpful? [y/n]:

The weird thing is that I do have a Password Hash Synchronization rule that I think should match (called 'Out to AAD - User Join'). The only reference I can find in MS's documentation about an outbound rule is from this screenshot I found at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/tshoot-connect-password-hash-synchronization:

phssingleobjectgeneral.png

That 'Out to AAD - User Join' looks similar to the one I have in the sync rules editor.

Other than that, there's precious little in MS's documentation about troubleshooting sync rules.

Feral on

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    It's frustrating when someone outside of IT starts rattling off things they have no concept of to "solve"

"We can bond the lines and then we can get 5g from that."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    It's frustrating when someone outside of IT starts rattling off things they have no concept of to "solve"

"We can bond the lines and then we can get 5g from that."

Last week "mails we send through application X gets marked as spam, they didn't get marked as spam before you migrated to another spamfilter so the issue is with the spamfilter." "Header says SPF-fail. Your application is not authorized to send mail as our organisation." "They didn't get marked before." "Pretty sure that the old spamfilter also tagged SPF fails".

• Options
    And if the old spamfilter didn't give a shit about SPF fails then hey aren't you glad I put in a new spam filter motherfucker?

• Options
    God I am so tired of arguing with vendors that no I am not going to disable spf failure filtering FIX YOUR DAMN EMAIL.

• Options
    God I am so tired of arguing with vendors that no I am not going to disable spf failure filtering FIX YOUR DAMN EMAIL.

"Your own SPF record explicitly says these emails are fake, so why should I take your word that they're good?".

• Options
    CIO: "There's a former customer who owes us on their final bill, and they're sending abusive emails to our collections team. Can we forward their emails to a special inbox?"

Me: "Sure. I can do that easily."

CIO: "Cool. Can you also forward the emails to the Collections manager?"

Me: "Yeah no prob"

... two days later ...

The Collections manager hit "reply all" one of the abusive emails that were auto-forwarded to him, and his email signature on his phone includes his direct cell phone numbers.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What is the "sane" reason why Outlook keeps a delayed-send email in my local Outbox instead of on the server?

This discussion has been closed.