As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Sartorium

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Sartorium

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Penney's. Or if you're feeling fancy, Jacques Penné.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Is that like calling target "tar che" to give it that parisian flavor?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    The joke's lost on me, mostly because we don't have J.C Penneys or REI's in the UK.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    T-Danger wrote: »
    The joke's lost on me, mostly because we don't have J.C Penneys or REI's in the UK.

I believe its based on Gabe/Mike not liking the loot in games like the division. Like that you'd do a mission and your reward is knee pads. Basically the mundanity of loot because its in theory based on real life stuff.

So the joke is loot is so boring the raid would be in a regular retail store.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My own opinion: turning something mundane into clever dungeon design (when done well) is a mark of brilliance.

To this day, one of my all time favorite dungeons in any video game is the Mega Mart in Fallout 3. They turned a supermarket/Walmart store into a scary place full of raiders. The level design there is amazing.

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My own opinion: turning something mundane into clever dungeon design (when done well) is a mark of brilliance.

To this day, one of my all time favorite dungeons in any video game is the Mega Mart in Fallout 3. They turned a supermarket/Walmart store into a scary place full of raiders. The level design there is amazing.

Indeed, I remember loving Dead Rising for the way they turned a Mall into an open world Zombie slaughter-fest.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Is that like calling target "tar che" to give it that parisian flavor?

Exactly! Or like taking the kids to Le Charles E Fromage

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    googles REI

....So, like Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World?

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    googles REI

Oh, my, no.

REI is just a store. Bass Pro Shop is an experience.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Bursar wrote: »
    googles REI

Oh, my, no.

I think of REI as more like a cult.

It's like Scientology, only more expensive.

dennis on
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Bursar wrote: »
    googles REI

Oh, my, no.

I mean, Bass Pro is my only frame of reference for outdoor things, because my uncle goes there for all his hunting stuff.

Like if I had told you about the short-lived South Florida electronics mini-mall Incredible Universe, you would likely liken it to Best Buy, to which I'd say "More or less."

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Someone else remembers Incredible Universe?

AMAZING.

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

It really was good design. You come across it early and it provides avenues to success with almost any skill set. You can barrel in guns blazing, sneak around killing people, hack a robot to defend you, pick locks to get around enemies unnoticed, etc.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Sorce wrote: »

AMAZING.

Did the one by you had a kids corner too? With a giant game boy that you controlled with a regular game boy?

OctoberRaven on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    A7WmJYy.png

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Inspired by Enlong, I did a thing.

0olh9t8bw3um.jpg

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

AMAZING.

Did the one by you had a kids corner too? With a giant game boy that you controlled with a regular game boy?
    It's been so long that I do not remember. That location was replaced with a Best Buy though, so for the longest time I thought it was just a name change.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ours became a warehouse or something. Kept the logo, changed the name to Incredible Perishables. It only lasted about a year. Lot was vacant for a while but I *think* there's a Home Depot there now.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    REI is the liberal co-op outdoor store. Bass Pro Shop trends the other way.

Which I think would place Division 2 squarely in the Bass Pro Shop or Dick's camp.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    REI is the liberal co-op outdoor store. Bass Pro Shop trends the other way.

Which I think would place Division 2 squarely in the Bass Pro Shop or Dick's camp.

Or a Cabela's.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    America! Where the fucking OUTDOORS is politically polarized!