Options

They’re pictures that move, so we call them [movies]

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Thanks! I'll catch it sometime later this week

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Aw damn.

Seymour Cassel died.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    In Shazam do they ever go into the whole Wisdom of Solomon power or whatever? Like does he ace his exams or something?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Nah. The whole Wisdom of Solomon thing never really comes up.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    AJR wrote: »

Eh...
    Recognizing the 6 sins that did come out to fight, correctly identifying the 7th and then effortlessly antagonizing it to the point that it finally emerged and made all of them vulnerable didn't feel like something Billy would have pulled off on his own.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    He also forgets he can (Shazam spoilers):
    shoot lighting from his hands during all the fights too. Only the one who gets that power bothers doing it.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Deadline has finalized the list of the biggest bombs of 2018

#1 - The Mortal Engines, -$175m loss
    #2 - A Wrinkle In Time, -$130m
    #3 - Robin Hood, -$84m
    #4 - Solo: A Star Wars Story, -$77m
    #5 - The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, -$67m

Disney had 3 of the biggest bombs of the year and still probably came out several billion in the black

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    AJR wrote: »

Eh...
    Recognizing the 6 sins that did come out to fight, correctly identifying the 7th and then effortlessly antagonizing it to the point that it finally emerged and made all of them vulnerable didn't feel like something Billy would have pulled off on his own.
    I don't really think it took that much wisdom to pull that off, it was pretty clearly established that Thaddeus would lose his powers after all the sins left his body. Recognising that Envy was the last sin inside Thaddeus and could be tricked into leaving required a bit of clever thinking, but not to the extent that it would require superhuman intelligence. It definitely didn't feel to me like that's what they were going for, anyway.

And Billy is introduced as someone who outsmarted police officers while on the search for his mother. He's pretty resourceful and clever. I never got the sense that his intelligence ever went up as Shazam, if anything he's a bit more of a goofball.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    That's hilarious, all they needed to do was not spend money making Solo twice and it would merely have been disappointing

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

#3 - Robin Hood, -$84m

Disney had 3 of the biggest bombs of the year and still probably came out several billion in the black

Man I knew Mortal Engines did bad but woof

Though having also seen it, it didn't exactly deserve to make money either

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think Peter Jackson might be done.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

I kinda feel like his overall style really suits certain kinds of projects supremely well, but then not so much for other kinds of projects.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

#3 - Robin Hood, -$84m

Wow I knew they were struggling but I had no idea A Wrinkle in Time and Solo actually lost money! Oof. I'm particularly sad to hear about Wrinkle.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Zonugal wrote: »

Huh? He did write and produce The Mortal Engines (with his usual partners), but he didn't direct it.

The only movie he's directed since The Hobbit is They Shall Not Grow Old, which is pretty much universally praised.

I don't want to see Peter Jackson on another epic blockbuster any time soon, but I welcome more small films from him.

Ketar on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I have heard that PJ was a very hands on producer.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

#3 - Robin Hood, -$84m

Man I knew Mortal Engines did bad but woof

Though having also seen it, it didn't exactly deserve to make money either

I just saw it about a week ago. It was ... okay? The premise was interesting if goofy and it had some nice visuals. It definitely had the feel of an attempt to stuff every damn thing from the book into a movie-length production with middling success. Entire characters and locations were introduced and just as casually disposed of 5-10 minutes later with the implications that I SHOULD care about them. I also had to question the level of affection they gave NotChina. It was practically Utopian in an otherwise bleak post-apocalyptic setting.

Still, it was far from the worst 2018 release that I saw. I can see people having some ironic love for it the way that people have for, say, Jupiter Ascending.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

#3 - Robin Hood, -$84m

Wow I knew they were struggling but I had no idea A Wrinkle in Time and Solo actually lost money! Oof. I'm particularly sad to hear about Wrinkle.
    The bad reviews certainly didn't help, I think it's not a coincidence that both Wrinkle and Nutcracker are kid's movies you would struggle to summarize in one sentence.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    You can't say for certain that piranha scarabs have never existed in real life

Of course I can! I already did! Just because I can't prove a negative doesn't mean I won't tell a kid that they don't exist because I'd like him to be able to sleep.

• Options
    They Shall Not Grow Old has grossed more than Mortal Engines did

It’s also pretty universally acclaimed as one of the greatest achievements in documentary production

Peter Jackson is still probably one of the most recognized directors in the world, so he can probably do whatever he wants forever

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I say this about almost all big directors who have a body of small, interesting work, but with Jackson I especially mean it.

That guy should make some low to mid budget movies again. He used to be so much fun.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dear Peter Jackson,

Please make more low budget horror movies.

Your friend,

Steve

• Options
    say what you will about what he's done with it, but I really appreciate that a guy like M. Night Shyamalan actually sat down and went "I need to start making limited-budget projects with actual stakes again, cause this studio shit ain't working for me"

I can't think of many directors who rose to the level he did that actually settle for a financial humbling

now granted that resulted from him getting his ass kicked for like a decade, but he still did it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You gotta hand it to him. That dude is persistent.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I hand him nothing

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Ah man, Criterion Channel doesn’t have any Lubitsch movies.

That’s probably for the best. Otherwise I’d just watch Design For Living every day.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I say this about almost all big directors who have a body of small, interesting work, but with Jackson I especially mean it.

That guy should make some low to mid budget movies again. He used to be so much fun.

He seemed so sad and exhausted in the behind the scenes stuff of The Hobbit.

• Options
    Plot synopsis for the Akira remake got posted on Production Weekly
    When a young man’s telekinesis is discovered by the military, he is taken in to be turned into a super weapon and his brother must race to save him before Manhattan is destroyed by his powers. Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother Tetsuo is abducted by Government agents lead by the Colonel. Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join Ky Reed and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City 30 years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous, but after facing his brother again is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers. Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy. Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo’s mind, Kaneda clashes with the Colonel’s troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira, but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island as he did thirty years ago.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019

#3 - Robin Hood, -$84m

Damn, Disney made about half a bil each off Infinity War, Black Panther, and Incredibles 2 for #1, 2, and 3 most successful. Like, just one of those offset 3 of the biggest bombs of the year and then some.

The first two winners were obvious but I’m really shocked that Incredibles was as high up on the list of successes as it was. I knew it made money but not that much money.

rhylith on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Alright watched Yojimbo last night and then started Sanjuro and gotdamn Toshirô Mifune is such a badass and also dreamy af

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Damn, Criterion Channel isn't on XB1 or PS4 yet. I think my TV is a Roku TV, so I might try to actually set that up. I wonder how long until they get it on consoles

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    When a young man’s telekinesis is discovered by the military, he is taken in to be turned into a super weapon and his brother must race to save him before Manhattan is destroyed by his powers. Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother Tetsuo is abducted by Government agents lead by the Colonel. Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join Ky Reed and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City 30 years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous, but after facing his brother again is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers. Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy. Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo’s mind, Kaneda clashes with the Colonel’s troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira, but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island as he did thirty years ago.

I don't know much about Production Weekly but are their items usually written like Wikipedia entries with no proofreading?

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Is this coming from a reliable source?

Moving the events away from the country that felt the affects of atomic bombs and moving it to the country that deployed said bombs seems like a Bad Idea considering what Akira is about

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Damn, Criterion Channel isn't on XB1 or PS4 yet. I think my TV is a Roku TV, so I might try to actually set that up. I wonder how long until they get it on consoles

Filmstruck said they were working on a PS4 app since they launched and it never happened, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

But they also said the same thing about coming to Canada and never delivered, and Criterion Channel launched here so who knows.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The only movie Mori and I plan to take our kids to see this year is Detective Pikachu

They hated The Incredibles 2 and chastised us for taking them out to see it.
    They told us not to take them to see Wreck it Ralph 2 because it looked boring and scary.
    After Into the Spider-Verse ended they initially said they liked it, but five minutes later in the car they decided it had been too scary and I should never show it to them again.

(Mind you, Niko can watch all the Jurassic Park/World movies and not flinch, so...)

Darn kids. They’re excited for Detective Pikachu, though!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Moving the events away from the country that felt the affects of atomic bombs and moving it to the country that deployed said bombs seems like a Bad Idea considering what Akira is about

I think it was confirmed that they were indeed changing the location of the movie, probably so they can justify casting a largely white cast.

• Options
    edited April 2019

Production Weekly is very reliable yes, it's a trade publication for people in the industry and it lets crew workers know availability (filming location and contact info for the studio) and production start dates when projects are just getting started/in the works. It's how everyone found out Blumhouse was making a remake of The Craft a week or two ago for example

I hope The Craft remake is good :/ I don't know who the director (Zoe Lister-Jones) is but I really like the original

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

I think it was confirmed that they were indeed changing the location of the movie, probably so they can justify casting a largely white cast.

Sounds promising!!!

Hey what does a concussion taste like

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's like drinking a glass of water that someone just dropped three recently bleached pennies and a couple of diced habanero in

• Options
    Uh oh

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I get why that is the immediate assumption but if Waititi stays on board I would be surprised if its a white washed affair

Dude understands the importance of representation

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.