Options

They’re pictures that move, so we call them [movies]

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    he has a giant coat goggles and a big dumb moustache

Kinda doesnt feel great that they slimmed him down.

I'm pretty sure that if they hadn't we wouldn't be nodding in approval and saying "yes, this villain is appropriately obese"

Yeah I guess. I dont know Im admittedly knew to this issue. I cant deny that if he were fat it wouls have ended in shotty fat jokes. Is in better to just not have a fat character then? Im honestly asking cause it all feels bad to me.

I think its kinda similar to how its usually bad to have gay coded villains

Because usually what you're doing is saying "being gay is evil"

It has to be handled really carefully

The sonic movie would not do that with its fat villain

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    what does "cowardly designed" mean

That it feels like they looked at Robotnik, went "that's too silly to have in the entire movie" and tried to make him look at realistic and boring as possible, which is bizarre given they got Jim Carrey to play him. Like, he has a slightly goofy mustache and that's it.

Which you could argue that they're trying to do a real world thing, but that brings it back to my original point of the "sonic in the real world" plot is absolutely not what I'm looking for with a Sonic movie.

We have a shot of him looking like this:
    jim-carrey-doctor-eggman-web-590x340.jpg

That looks like a pretty accurate adaptation of Robotnik...

That's cool. Why doesn't he look like that for the entire movie though?

Because he doesn't have to?

I feel like you are demanding this Sonic movie be hyper accurate to the games.

And a bunch of us are communicating that it doesn't? I don't care if Robotnik starts off semi-"Realistic"

All I care about is if the movie is entertaining.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Maybe Robotnik should be swole as fuck.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    that looks good, I wish they were using that as the main design rather than the "end of the movie tease of now they look like they're supposed to"
    it was lame when Batman v. Superman did that with Lex Luthor as well

That's fair & understandable, but I'm currently watching a Superman show where Lex Luthor has a full head of hair and it's the best live-action Lex Luthor I have ever seen.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I guess the possibility exists that Jim Carrey will elevate the role to the point that he supplants the old Robotnik character design and going forward all Robotniks in all media will resemble this portrayal

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Personally, ever since Sonic kissed a realistic human woman, it's been extremely cowardly that they've avoided making a realistic Robotnik

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Personally, ever since Sonic kissed a realistic human woman, it's been extremely cowardly that they've avoided making a realistic Robotnik

yeah when are sonic and robotnik going to kiss

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    For me it's like the last 30 odd years of the official, canon Sonic The Hedgehog have been all about the stewards of the franchise kicking the absolute shit out of anything I recognise as the Sonic of my youth. It's been essentially unrecognisable for years and years and any nostalgia I had for it is subsequently dead. That's why I look at this movie and go "sure, yeah, fine". Any "it's not faithful to Sonic" is something I can empathise with but my counterpoint is "Sonic has been incomprehensible garbage for a quarter of a century"

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Logically I'm aware otherwise. But I'm always shocked to be reminded that Sonic exists in any other format than that show where he eats chili dogs and like the first two genesis games.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I wish Carey had played it straight as Eggman.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

yeah when are sonic and robotnik going to kiss
    A gay sonic!?!?

Maybe if he’s really good at video games.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Adaptations can and should change things from their source material. Trying to remain perfectly "true" to the source will actually make things worse than if you diverge in small ways - it's almost like an uncanny valley sort of thing.

That said, there are always going to be changes that people find unforgivable. Personally, visual design is rarely one of them for me - I love reinterpretations of characters and fashion design, and am generally not a fan of, in this instance, video game aesthetic sensibilities. I'm sure there is some piece of media out there where changing the visuals would be a bridge too far for me, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

That said, I've also had a history of being reactionary about changes when things I love are adapted, so I get where this is coming from to an extent. My own criteria for looking at these things is to ask myself three questions:
    - Do I dislike this just because it is different?
    - Do I dislike this because I am assuming it is indicative of other creative changes that will be made?
    - Do I dislike this because I consider it to be a betrayal of something core to the characters or narrative?

If I answer yes to either of the first two, then I'll tell myself to cut it out and stop being dumb. Things being changed are good, and even if I think that the changes are indicative in some way, that's all based on my own supposition, and what the heck do I know? Maybe one or both of those will mean that I don't end up liking the final product, but that becomes more of a personal taste matter than like, I think something is essentially wrong with it.

If I say yes to the third, then, well, yeah, maybe I'm on to something. And that does still happen! My answer to that question is part of why I dislike, for instance, Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula or Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet, two movies that are generally well liked around these parts, at very least.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    what does "cowardly designed" mean

That it feels like they looked at Robotnik, went "that's too silly to have in the entire movie" and tried to make him look at realistic and boring as possible, which is bizarre given they got Jim Carrey to play him. Like, he has a slightly goofy mustache and that's it.

Which you could argue that they're trying to do a real world thing, but that brings it back to my original point of the "sonic in the real world" plot is absolutely not what I'm looking for with a Sonic movie.

We have a shot of him looking like this:
    jim-carrey-doctor-eggman-web-590x340.jpg

That looks like a pretty accurate adaptation of Robotnik...

That's cool. Why doesn't he look like that for the entire movie though?

Because he doesn't have to?

I feel like you are demanding this Sonic movie be hyper accurate to the games.

And a bunch of us are communicating that it doesn't? I don't care if Robotnik starts off semi-"Realistic"

All I care about is if the movie is entertaining.

I don't need it to be 100% accurate, I just want it to be in the spirit of the games, which this trailer is not giving me the vibes of.

Fine, I should have phrased it as an opinion, rather than a question. I would have preferred if they had made Robotnik like that for the entire movie.

Also, I feel like you guys are strangely focusing on this and not anything else I complained about. :)

• Options
    I think the tone and spirit of sonic is COMPLETELY nailed in that trailer, its damned near perfect

Sonic is goofy, lame, enjoyable corniness that aims for "cool" and misses, hard

I think this is exactly that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Sonic is Poochy and this movie seems accurate on that

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I think the tone and spirit of sonic is COMPLETELY nailed in that trailer, its damned near perfect

Eh, maybe I just associate Sonic with the old genesis games to much.

• Options
    edited May 2019

I think he was already corny in those games

In sonic 3 the start screen is him with crossed arms waggling his finger at you and tapping his foot

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    if anything, i think the trailer rubs people wrong because it captures the tone of the games too accurately

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

I think he was already corny in those games

Eh, he had tude, but he never really spoke enough to be corny.

Also there was a strong environmentalism theme I appreciated.

• Options
    I was a stupid kid. But I liked Sonic because he was like Mario but like cool and mom's might not approve. And he was fast.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I don’t care about this IP. I guess what I do care about is a failure to learn the lessons of good adaptations and the insistence that ‘realistic’ CGI is better than stylised CGI or traditional looking animation. Plus nostalgia fuelled cash grabs of any IP twenty years after their peak annoys me.

This is like the worst of the early 90’s cinema and now.

Also the cop is portrayed as heroic. By the guy who played the same character in that Easter bunny movie.

It’s the schools of thought I’m disgusted at, I’m not particularly bothered by a piece of Sonic media being bad. In fact, I agree with the above comments that it’s in line with 90% of Sonic stuff since the short lived hay-day of ‘Sonic & Knuckles’.

I fear a backslide of cinema being embarrassed by the thing it’s adapting to the big screen. That’s my grievance.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I guess it was too expensive to make a live action Sonic Mania.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The only bad thing about Carrey's Eggman is that I'm already seeing people on the internet horny for Carrey's Eggman

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

Real talk I don't have any investment in Sonic the Hedgehog but I think the reason why it's been able to get away with just absolutely garbage media for the last 25 years is due in large part on the strength of the designs. Sonic is one of the most immediately recognizable characters out there. Hes a big goofy blue hedgehog with way too big feet who goes fast while X-treme butt rock plays in the background. You take away that design and make him look, and I cannot stress this enough, goddamned horrifying what the shit holy God why and suddenly everything that's charming about it becomes obnoxious and unsettling.

Like, really all they had to do was not give him human teeth and the supple gams of an athlete and it kinda works. But they did that. They did that and now we must live with it.

• Options
    The only bad thing about Carrey's Eggman is that I'm already seeing people on the internet horny for Carrey's Eggman

That's just a result of Jim Carrey though.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    people can and will be horny for anything

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

He's the next Onceler

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Huh

Before this moment I never once considered someone might be horny for Jim Carrey

I think maybe its cause I hate the faces hes always making in his movies

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Meanwhile nobody is horny for movie Sonic.

That was a joke. Please don't link to any counter-evidence.

• Options
    I feel like we should have placed the stewardship of Sonic The Hedgehog where it belongs: in the sticky hands of unfathomable perverts.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Huh

Before this moment I never once considered someone might be horny for Jim Carrey

I think maybe its cause I hate the faces hes always making in his movies

Jim Carrey has dated a lot of very beautiful people.

He's funny! It's a desired trait!

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    if they call him eggman, to me it will be like being punched in the face

does sonic have any quills or a strong clay putty and lots of fur

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I feel like we should have placed the stewardship of Sonic The Hedgehog where it belongs: in the sticky hands of unfathomable perverts.

i'm glad you've entrusted me with this great responsibility, I promise I won't let you-

...oh no I've put my dick in it again

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

i'm glad you've entrusted me with this great responsibility, I promise I won't let you-

...oh no I've put my dick in it again

Good.

Good.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

He's the next Onceler

Are we truly be able to understand the changes made to Robotnik with this live action adaptation before we have seen him in flagrante delicto with the game incarnation in graphic detail?

• Options

Believe me I can fathom it

• Options
    I

uh

hmm

• Options

Believe me I can fathom it

Honestly we should probably 6,033 fathom it

• Options
    I will not ask follow-up questions

I will not ask follow-up questions

• Options
    i've never been happier to not understand the context

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.