As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tom Clancy's [The Division] 2: The Division x Resident Evil Crossover Feb 2 - 15

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Well, only the strongholds of world tier 1 left, and i went and did the dark zone opening quests.
    I look at the walls, at the stone cubes each side the height of a man, the steel gates, the broken bridges outside, the fallen airplanes, the roads overgrown with plants, and i am left with questions.
    Just what the fuck happened?
    How long ago did the city fall?
    How long did the fall take?
    How did the nation come to a point that not only were the dark zones built, but that there was time to build them in the middle of fucking DC.
    Why are there SAM sites next to capitol?
    Is USA still a thing?
    How could it be a thing?
    And where do we keep getting fuel to those choppers?

Like, those walls were not built within days, they took weeks, if not months, from decision to build, to planning, to acquiring the damn stones and other materials.
    And that damage to the city did not happen within weeks, or even months, unless someone went and bombed it, and somehow managed to miss most of the windows, that place has been empty for a year atleast, or more.
    I have no idea about the lore behind the game, but this world was a very different place, and not just in the secret police with their AI watches and satellite networks way, to the real world.

And why are there hyenas just hanging out in random trucks within a dark zone before the place is even opened?

Hah! I can shed light on some things.

USA is a still a thing. Rural/middle America is relatively fine. Military stills exists and have secured Nuclear Power plants and other important strategic sites. The Govt abandoned several major cities, put them under quarantine and activated the Division largely because the sheer amount of manpower and resources required to pacify those areas is too great a cost at the moment. Govt is effectively reorganizing itself elsewhere, probably the Midwest.

There are SAM sites all over DC in the real world and have been there for quite some time. And I don't mean on the outskirts, I mean like in the city. Much like all the oil rigs all over LA you just need to know what to look for.

As to everything else? Pffft, who knows?

Regarding the dark zones, you'll eventually find the echos and recordings kind of explaining what went down (Especially in those contaminated mission buildings) but it essentially boiled down to this:

-Oh shit! Green poison is infecting everyone! What do we do?
    -Well we have this pretty much untested chemical that appears to counteract the poison! We should use it right away!
    -Wait, did you say untested? We can't deploy it, who knows what will happen?!?
    -Clearly you hate america. We are going to deploy this chemical agent to save us from the green poison and not for some totally sinister reason that's never really explained in the game!
    -OHNOES! DC-62 apparently turns hella toxic when it gets cold! Who could have predicted this!?
    -Quick! Go chernobyl on these areas where DC-62 got applied too liberally around here. Don't ask questions just more concrete blocks!

And no one ate dinner that night, or ever again.

Also I think the timeline in DC has been 8 months since the outbreak which was black friday if I recall correctly?

As for the sam sites, due to the pullback of the military forces, a lot of folks (ie true sons mainly) have mostly commandeered the vast majority of the material and sort of repurposed it for their own uses. I mean hell, their headquarters had a fucking GAU-8 set up on the capitol steps, so I guess we're taking the suspension of disbelief route a bit hard on that front.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    IIRC, the quarantine walls went up before the DC-62. This is why...
    The DC-62 was super effective in killing the rich people who walled themselves off from the poors and decided to prioritize their getting the "cure" first

edit: also, one got walled off because of a leak, and the other because of a flood

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Sam sites in DC, sure, in the capitol lawn though?
    I guess they might have expected an invasion or something, those were trucks afterall.

Major cities fall, midwest and rural america fine(ish?), hard not to see a political message in a game with Tom Clancy's name attached to it (especially when the original virus was created by an enviromentalist, now there's a callback to novels), but i doubt that's intentional.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    IIRC, the quarantine walls went up before the DC-62. This is why...
    The DC-62 was super effective in killing the rich people who walled themselves off from the poors and decided to prioritize their getting the "cure" first

edit: also, one got walled off because of a leak, and the other because of a flood

Oh yeah forgot about that specific one. That I think was the only dark zone were the DC-62 actually got fully deployed right?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I think it was like, the first and only place it got deployed intentionally. The rest is all just "oops" and weather.

Also, the midwest and rural America aren't "fine" at all in the Division series. They are almost entirely lawless (as far as the federal/state governments being functional entities go), and while they have more food and resources, transportation and infrastructure is virtually nonexistent. Like, people traveling by rivers because it's safer, etc.

edit: The books suggest people tend to gather where ever what's left of the JTF go, but that's about the only national power structure that exists and is barely holding up.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    So national power structure now consists basicly of the military and the secret police?
    Well shit.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    So national power structure now consists basicly of the military and the secret police?
    Well shit.

Pretty much from what I gather. JTF is in tatters, the current prez is
    pretty much confirmed working with the Black Tusk fuckers to some degree, or is being puppeted into working with them to install some NGO or something
    , local ems services are basically gone and the military has more or less retreated from major population centers to consolidate their forces and prevent them from getting infected by the green poison.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Reports from PTS seems to indicate that Ballistic Shields are even worse than before with a longer cooldown.

So from useless garbage to... Super useless garbage? I mean current shields last 5 seconds of damage from a single red mob and PTS shields apparently last 3 seconds...?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Reports from PTS seems to indicate that Ballistic Shields are even worse than before with a longer cooldown.

So from useless garbage to... Super useless garbage? I mean current shields last 5 seconds of damage from a single red mob and PTS shields apparently last 3 seconds...?

"But, we keep making shield melee kills part of every set of weekly challenges, why aren't people using it!"

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    New exotic rifle looks pretty cool on paper. Will have to see how it actually works (how does the random work? Is it instant? Is it always on? If there's one enemy, are they permanently the target?).

The snake design is goofy as shit though.

New lmg base weapon type had 200 rounds before mods lol

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Best part of the Diamondback rifle is that the weird toy looking snake they wrapped around it... Isnt even a Diamondback.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I finally got a Black Market M60 with Unhinged and Allegro, which should be the LMG meta hot shit. I tried putting together a build around it, and... holy fuck. How do people use these things? LMGs are inaccurate as shit to begin with, but Unhinged makes it downright awful. It took half a mag (belt?) to down a guy just because of the inaccuracy and kick, and I just gave up on hitting anything more then 10-20 yd out.

Is this a mouse-only PC thing? Because it feels completely unusable on consoles.

• Options
    edited July 2019

The TU5 PTS is in phases, and the first (current) phase doesn't have all the new skill changes in place. People are supposed to be testing some new expeditions or something, but are instead messing around with builds that don't reflect the planned changes. Massive has confirmed this.

07hh7gn8er731.jpg

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    rndmhero wrote: »

The TU5 PTS is in phases, and the first (current) phase doesn't have all the new skill changes in place. People are supposed to be testing some new expeditions or something, but are instead messing around with builds that don't reflect the planned changes. Massive has confirmed this.

Yeah, I was just about to post quotes from the reddit where they state this.

edit: Rndmhero is the hero we deserve for posting the image for it.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I finally got a Black Market M60 with Unhinged and Allegro, which should be the LMG meta hot shit. I tried putting together a build around it, and... holy fuck. How do people use these things? LMGs are inaccurate as shit to begin with, but Unhinged makes it downright awful. It took half a mag (belt?) to down a guy just because of the inaccuracy and kick, and I just gave up on hitting anything more then 10-20 yd out.

Is this a mouse-only PC thing? Because it feels completely unusable on consoles.

Yeah the consensus is that unhinged LMG build pretty much works only when you can make the fine adjustments on a mouse. I'm currently running it right now and the wobblyness definitely is a bit of a struggle, but I manage by only engaging targets in close to medium range and keeping a marksman rifle on hand for the longer stuff or an assault rifle for the medium-long ranges.

For the the weapon type I just can't seem to figure out are SMGs. Yeah you get generally faster firing rates with the +crit, but they just don't seem to hold a candle damage wise compared to comparable assault rifles. You get better range, and if you're running the 416 or ACR, comparable fire rates and they seem to just melt armor way more effectively than SMGs ever can.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Yeah the consensus is that unhinged LMG build pretty much works only when you can make the fine adjustments on a mouse. I'm currently running it right now and the wobblyness definitely is a bit of a struggle, but I manage by only engaging targets in close to medium range and keeping a marksman rifle on hand for the longer stuff or an assault rifle for the medium-long ranges.

For the the weapon type I just can't seem to figure out are SMGs. Yeah you get generally faster firing rates with the +crit, but they just don't seem to hold a candle damage wise compared to comparable assault rifles. You get better range, and if you're running the 416 or ACR, comparable fire rates and they seem to just melt armor way more effectively than SMGs ever can.

Yea love it on PC, couldnt imagine using it with a controller, but is it ever sweet with the mouse/kb.

Been using it with the exotic holster and liberty, dumping two LMGs sporting the +50 ammo mod then a quick pistol swap and both are full again. So good. My build is making use of bloodsucker (11 shield ability) with compensated a LMG boost armor piece and a +10% LMG stat boost and 2 more 4% LMG mods. Works pretty great, good survivability and enough bullets to chew down goons. Trying to tweak it more to see if I can get enough skill points to get on the ropes in there but I dont think its doable. Maybe ill see if I can get a mask with spotter for an additional 20%

As for SMG, its usually a variation of the old Clutch, builds. You want to cap your crit change at 60%, wear bezerker armor and then just buff your health so its super high. So if you do lose armor you are covered while the crits proc clutch heals. Make sure you have chatterbox as well for the ROF buff. I have one I use that I swap between it and the LMG. Both shred dudes.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

Yea love it on PC, couldnt imagine using it with a controller, but is it ever sweet with the mouse/kb.

Been using it with the exotic holster and liberty, dumping two LMGs sporting the +50 ammo mod then a quick pistol swap and both are full again. So good. My build is making use of bloodsucker (11 shield ability) with compensated a LMG boost armor piece and a +10% LMG stat boost and 2 more 4% LMG mods. Works pretty great, good survivability and enough bullets to chew down goons. Trying to tweak it more to see if I can get enough skill points to get on the ropes in there but I dont think its doable. Maybe ill see if I can get a mask with spotter for an additional 20%

As for SMG, its usually a variation of the old Clutch, builds. You want to cap your crit change at 60%, wear bezerker armor and then just buff your health so its super high. So if you do lose armor you are covered while the crits proc clutch heals. Make sure you have chatterbox as well for the ROF buff. I have one I use that I swap between it and the LMG. Both shred dudes.

Holy hell there's a +50 Ammo pouch blueprint!?!? I've only found the +35 round pouch and coupled with the 20% extra ammo perk I try to roll with I can get my '60 up to 162 rounds. But +50 sounds freaking sweet!

• Options
    The LMG +50 pouch is locked to the Gunner specialization IIRC.

• Options
    Ah balls. :( Well that's unfortunate. I suppose I can try slogging through unlocking stuff for it I guess. It's just so damn clunky compared to demo, just really soured me on the experience. Might just unlock it just for the buffs.

• Options
    Ah balls. :( Well that's unfortunate. I suppose I can try slogging through unlocking stuff for it I guess. It's just so damn clunky compared to demo, just really soured me on the experience. Might just unlock it just for the buffs.

I’d say it’s one of the best specs in game. The minigun itself is alright but it’s the rest of the abilities that shine.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

I’d say it’s one of the best specs in game. The minigun itself is alright but it’s the rest of the abilities that shine.

Sounds like I have some grinding to do then! Plus the appeal of Dual LMGs does sounds very nice. Just need to finish that exotic holster quest and find a liberty and I'll be a happy camper.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Today's SotG:
    -some sort of discovery difficulty for the Dark Hours raid plus a fucking raid finder!
    -Shotguns getting a PvE buff
    -They cut the cooldown timers on skills by half or even more depending on the skill
    -crafting changes, items made at max level, can recalibrate crafted items now

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The role of a Division Agent isn't without precedent in American history. They're function isn't too dissimilar to the role US Marshals played in the Old West. That is, being the Law and the Govt in territories that otherwise lacked both those things. Some of the exploits of the US Marshals during this time would make even a Division Agent stare in awe.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Today's SotG:
    -some sort of discovery difficulty for the Dark Hours raid plus a fucking raid finder!
    -Shotguns getting a PvE buff
    -They cut the cooldown timers on skills by half or even more depending on the skill
    -crafting changes, items made at max level, can recalibrate crafted items now

Is the lfg for raid still going to be locked to just “discovery” difficulty?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    The role of a Division Agent isn't without precedent in American history. They're function isn't too dissimilar to the role US Marshals played in the Old West. That is, being the Law and the Govt in territories that otherwise lacked both those things. Some of the exploits of the US Marshals during this time would make even a Division Agent stare in awe.

In both good and bad things, yeah they are kind of similar.

• Options
    Also kinda forgot since I've never respecc'd out of Demo really and it's been a while. What's the fastest way to earn spec' points? Just doing the challenge missions over and over again?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Also kinda forgot since I've never respecc'd out of Demo really and it's been a while. What's the fastest way to earn spec' points? Just doing the challenge missions over and over again?

you get 5 points per mission for doing the weekly invaded missions, I think 1-3 points for the daily ones, and you sometimes get points when you earn enough xp to get a cache. But yea basically dailies and weeklies.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I was doing some data entry while listening so I might have missed some of the finer details of that SotG.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

you get 5 points per mission for doing the weekly invaded missions, I think 1-3 points for the daily ones, and you sometimes get points when you earn enough xp to get a cache. But yea basically dailies and weeklies.

Bounties! 3 points a pop and really really fast, not every one, just mainly the chain ones and one or two others I find but it really adds up quickly

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I was doing some data entry while listening so I might have missed some of the finer details of that SotG.

As far as I can tell, still will be the "story mode" of the Raid that will allow matchmaking, which I guess will do for now if you want to at least check out the bosses and mechanics first. Sadly no set pieces or exotics will drop from that mode

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

Bounties! 3 points a pop and really really fast, not every one, just mainly the chain ones and one or two others I find but it really adds up quickly

Cheers, time to slowly grind the points! Also, let it be known that the RPK LMG sucks chonky-donkies, even compared to the brutal recoil of the M60. Good lord that muzzle climb is insane. I figured it'd be a good 2ndary LMG to run with, but I think I might switch to an MG5 for that delicious rapid-fire lazer beam action, especially once I get the +50 pouch from the gunner specialization.

• Options

As far as I can tell, still will be the "story mode" of the Raid that will allow matchmaking, which I guess will do for now if you want to at least check out the bosses and mechanics first. Sadly no set pieces or exotics will drop from that mode

It's nice that they're implementing a way for more of the player base to see the raid, but it seems like a miss to have no sets or exotics. A raid without loot is... not going to do well.

• Options
    I’ll at least appreciate if I can get the achievement from the Story mode raid because I dont have 8 people who’ll bother sludging through this raid for a miniscule chance of anything remotely useful.

• Options

It's nice that they're implementing a way for more of the player base to see the raid, but it seems like a miss to have no sets or exotics. A raid without loot is... not going to do well.

though I think it might work as a work around to matchmake for the actual raid, get your 8 people, one person says ok, join on me in a sec, cancel the story raid, start a real raid.

Had a classy dude gift me a Merciless drop last night, running Jefferson for the umpteenth time, one dropped. I said to the guy "Hey congrats on the Merciless" then "Have seen then drop more than a few times but never had got one myself"

luckily for me the guy already had one. Will certainly pay that forward if I get one to drop.

Just have a Sweetdreams, Pestilence and whatever that Raid Exotic AR is called to get, though I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just made Nemesis! Can’t fucking use it worth a shit. I’m thinking I need that extra control from sharpshooter to have a chance with how much it sways.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    One just dropped for me and I'm kinda meh on it. I can't figure out how to rapidly fire the binary trigger fast enough and that primer feature it has doesn't seem to work on a semi auto gun. I do like how it randomly deals explosion damage so that's good, but not being able to attach any mods to it is kinda a bummer.

Though hot damn that exotic holster is AMAZING. running around with insta reload LMGs makes my life nice and tidy.

• Options
    One just dropped for me and I'm kinda meh on it. I can't figure out how to rapidly fire the binary trigger fast enough and that primer feature it has doesn't seem to work on a semi auto gun. I do like how it randomly deals explosion damage so that's good, but not being able to attach any mods to it is kinda a bummer.

Though hot damn that exotic holster is AMAZING. running around with insta reload LMGs makes my life nice and tidy.

Its not as crazy as it used to be, folks were taking out the big armored guys in like 2 hits or something like that. If you can stack the primers on a guy it still packs a wallop when you hit with a detonator

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Getting the hang of the Nemisis while in Demo spec. Had some fun in the DZ taking a landmark using it. Was nice getting a 1.5mil shot off.

Now then, on to newbie question again. How does one actually attain a piece of gear with decent stats? I hear about the large numbers possible but I’ve only seen one 32% number so far. Do I need to craft? Or DZ? Or just Rngesus hates me?

Edit: Ya, got a Pestilence!!! Boo got ganked before I could get it out of the dark zone :-1:

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

Its not as crazy as it used to be, folks were taking out the big armored guys in like 2 hits or something like that. If you can stack the primers on a guy it still packs a wallop when you hit with a detonator

Yeah the whole stacking primer thing doesn't make sense. Like, it's a semi auto gun, so that means when I let my finger off the trigger to fire the 2nd shot, I've already detonated the primer...is it one of those things that gets better if you're in a group with multiple pestilences stacking primers or something? because otherwise I can't see how that feature would work.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Yeah the whole stacking primer thing doesn't make sense. Like, it's a semi auto gun, so that means when I let my finger off the trigger to fire the 2nd shot, I've already detonated the primer...is it one of those things that gets better if you're in a group with multiple pestilences stacking primers or something? because otherwise I can't see how that feature would work.

You have to learn how to use it. You fire, deviate aim for the detonator, get back on target. You can whiff entirely or use the second bullet to hurt someone else, but pull, release. Pull, release.

You don't have to pull the trigger down entirely to use the duplex.

edit: burning armored guys down basically meant fire, veer, fire, veer to kill them (which I would understand the nerf for) , or 5-stack popping them (which the nerf was dumb for)

tastydonuts on