As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    While I don't want to speak completely generally, both spiders and nydaks are exceedingly vulnerable to parries.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Most of the monsters that arent opened by parries give you an execute prompt if you parry the full combo.

Big spiders, nydak, and jotaz off the top of my head.

The human enemies, specifically purge troopers, chain parry will deplete their block bar.

• Options
    Oh shit, jotaz get a QTE? Okay, I hate them less suddenly.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh human enemies so far the game has been fine. I haven't run into anything egregious with the humans or droids.

i didn't know that about the Jortaz.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Basically if you parry an enemy and they launch right in to another attack, their is probably a pay off for chain parrying them

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The biggest problem I have is that they did a "We have a parry system but not really" ...
    Everything that isn't glowing red can be parried. It's the like the most important combat mechanic. Dodging is straight up not as good.

I started this game unable to beat a room. Literally. Then I beat a room, and I couldn't beat the second room. I kept playing because it was some Star Wars ass Star Wars. And then I could beat up until the first checkpoint. Then I had to do it all again. I kept doing that until I beat the first planet.

Then I went to
    Dathomir
    , got real fuckin' frustrated, and stormed off. And I had to do it all again, beat one room at a time until I could get to a checkpoint. Rinse, repeat.

Then I watched a video that explained if I wasn't parrying I was basically just slamming my dick in a drawer. So I practiced that. And slowly, things started to click more quickly. Then I was beating more and more of the game in one go. I'd stop entire sections, a feeling like Luke or Yoda or some shit. Then I'd come up against a new type of mini-boss and get wrecked for a little bit.

I don't remember where these things started popping up, but they're sort of sprinkled everywhere sometimes on respawn?
    those fucking BOUNTY HUNTERS
    But even those guys get fuckin' wrecked to parries.

Anyway it's amazing and I want more.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    This is partially correct, but dodging distinctly has a place, in that there are some enemies who don't stagger on the first parry, and will follow up faster than your parry animation (I am thinking of a certain dual-wielding asshole mob type for instance), meaning you eat the follow up hits if you try. Mixing parries and dodges as appropriate has struck me as absolutely critical, and precision dodges are a thing I wish I would have figured out much earlier in the game.

Edit: This is tangentially related, contains possible spoilers re: enemies, but is ever so satisfying.

dporowski on
  • Options
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    This game has made me realize that we (ie: devs) need to figure out a better way to handle dodging in these 3rd person action games. Whether it's this, Darksouls, Sekiro, Bloodborne, God of War, etc these games have put in so much effort to make fighting/dueling look super organic and cool but as soon as you need to dodge/roll it completely breaks the flow of combat.

I would love to see a system where you could dodge but your character doesn't go rolling across the room. It seems particularly relevant for a game like this where IRL people sword-fighting/lightsaber dueling can dodge and weave in place (think like a boxer) instead of constantly leaping all over. I feel like such a badass in this and Sekiro when I'm up close and dueling but as soon as I have to dodge it kind of breaks the illusion.

This game has multiple levels of dodge, and you can with circle-strafe many opponents if you don't feel like dodging?

It has two levels of dodge and both result in you diving out of combat. There's a more elegant way of doing it imo.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    This game has made me realize that we (ie: devs) need to figure out a better way to handle dodging in these 3rd person action games. Whether it's this, Darksouls, Sekiro, Bloodborne, God of War, etc these games have put in so much effort to make fighting/dueling look super organic and cool but as soon as you need to dodge/roll it completely breaks the flow of combat.

I would love to see a system where you could dodge but your character doesn't go rolling across the room. It seems particularly relevant for a game like this where IRL people sword-fighting/lightsaber dueling can dodge and weave in place (think like a boxer) instead of constantly leaping all over. I feel like such a badass in this and Sekiro when I'm up close and dueling but as soon as I have to dodge it kind of breaks the illusion.

This game has multiple levels of dodge, and you can with circle-strafe many opponents if you don't feel like dodging?

It has two level of dodge and both result in you diving out of combat. There's a more elegant way of doing it imo.

It's actually got 3. And no, it never actually tells you this. Stick + B: Quick hop in a direction. Stick + BB: Roll in a direction. Neutral stick/no input + B: In-place dodge where you basically Matrix out of the way of whatever.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So this exists:

https://youtu.be/LgvxwdFQb_8

And now I'll feel like a lesser person until I possess it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

It has two levels of dodge and both result in you diving out of combat. There's a more elegant way of doing it imo.

You should probably spend some more time inspecting and playing with a system before you try to critique the system. You can dodge in place with proper timing, as there are multiple levels of dodge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBd5UfLMSw

Pretty much the type of evasion you want.

edit: If you look at the styles of Floyd Mayweather or even Mike Tyson, they move in the ring while evading punches, etc. Rarely do they plant in one place because their opponents are also moving and there is momentum, etc.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Dodging in place isn't really an option in any fight involving large weapons or big monsters.

Dashing in and out is what's necessary when any part of a big arc of a swing making contact with your body will ruin your day.

Kamar on
  • Options
    If you're not parrying you're moving your body in part or in whole.

Also, multiple opponents at once.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Just picked this up, and ran through the intro and first planet last night. Very good and fun, and I picked the Jedi Master difficulty which seems to be the right amount of asskicking for me. Immediately made my saber green as soon as I was able, now I'm ready for anything.

Not gonna lie, in the intro when the Inquisitior appears and nearly slayed me, I had a stupid big grin on my face. I legit felt like I barely escaped with my life, it felt amazing to desperately parry someone clearly higher skill than me. I think I'm gonna kit into Defense first.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So in a true tale of "If you complain about it on the internet, it will happen"...

I was just talking to a couple friends in Discord. I said to them "Man, I really need to get my scomplink fixed."

Then I walked into literally the next room in the game and found the upgrade. Talk about uncanny timing.

Lucascraft on
  • Options

You should probably spend some more time inspecting and playing with a system before you try to critique the system. You can dodge in place with proper timing, as there are multiple levels of dodge.

edit: If you look at the styles of Floyd Mayweather or even Mike Tyson, they move in the ring while evading punches, etc. Rarely do they plant in one place because their opponents are also moving and there is momentum, etc.

Ok, ease up chief. I'm not criticizing the game. I'm just saying it would be interesting to see some further examination of evolving dodge mechanics in these games in a way similar to how we've seen combat evolve.
    I've beaten the game on the hardest difficulty and I'm well aware of all of the dodge mechanics. They still operate as static blocks of animation and I'm saying something more dynamic would be cool to see. Sorry if that offended you somehow. I still think this is a fantastic game and I really enjoy all elements of the combat.

• Options
    edited November 2019

Ok, ease up chief. I'm not criticizing the game. I'm just saying it would be interesting to see some further examination of evolving dodge mechanics in these games in a way similar to how we've seen combat evolve.
    I've beaten the game on the hardest difficulty and I'm well aware of all of the dodge mechanics. They still operate as static blocks of animation and I'm saying something more dynamic would be cool to see. Sorry if that offended you somehow. I still think this is a fantastic game and I really enjoy all elements of the combat.
    Criticism and critique carry two different connotations, and your post didn't make you seem informed on the mechanic you're commenting on. They "operate as static blocks of animation" and they "go rolling across the room/leaping all over" are also two different things, the latter of which demonstrably doesn't occur all the time in the game, should you use all the game's mechanics. There are several animations for precision evading that have the player character remain in the general vicinity of their position. Defensive boxers also move within the general vicinity of their position, particularly if an attack would cause them and their opponent to collide. Nearly every attack in the game by enemies is a forward motioning attack that ends in their occupying the space you were in, either because they hit you and knocked you back, or you left that space.
    And what does something "more dynamic" even mean in this context?
    As for criticism of the game, it's nothing special and it has several progress blocking bugs and oversights like the Dathomir square-peg (that should be fixed now). Though other bugs are still waiting to be fixed. It's an okay game.
    edit: also, if an enemy hits you with an attack that staggers you in the middle of an execution on another enemy, it won't register your kill because the animation never completed. This is particularly grating when it happens during a certain chain of long fights with no checkpoint between waves. There are some other things too that I could list off, but I don't see the point in doing so.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    It's probably my GotY, tied with FE3H. It's a little better than "okay."

It might have been mine, but Code Vein.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    For you, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order was GoTY 2019... for me, it was just one of dozens of games I played this year?
    I mean certainly I liked it, and would love to see more of it... but yeah. :P

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Kamar wrote: »

How's Code Vein? Looking for what to play next. Thinking about Disco Elysium, but am willing to be convinced.
    For you, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order was GoTY 2019... for me, it was just one of dozens of games I played this year?
    So what else did you play this year? I'm not sure I played dozens, but I'm pulling from a decent sample size.

jdarksun on
  • Options

Criticism and critique carry two different connotations, and your post didn't make you seem informed on the mechanic you're commenting on. They "operate as static blocks of animation" and they "go rolling across the room/leaping all over" are also two different things, the latter of which demonstrably doesn't occur all the time in the game, should you use all the game's mechanics. There are several animations for precision evading that have the player character remain in the general vicinity of their position. Defensive boxers also move within the general vicinity of their position, particularly if an attack would cause them and their opponent to collide. Nearly every attack in the game by enemies is a forward motioning attack that ends in their occupying the space you were in, either because they hit you and knocked you back, or you left that space.
    And what does something "more dynamic" even mean in this context?
    As for criticism of the game, it's nothing special and it has several progress blocking bugs and oversights like the Dathomir square-peg (that should be fixed now). Though other bugs are still waiting to be fixed. It's an okay game.
    edit: also, if an enemy hits you with an attack that staggers you in the middle of an execution on another enemy, it won't register your kill because the animation never completed. This is particularly grating when it happens during a certain chain of long fights with no checkpoint between waves. There are some other things too that I could list off, but I don't see the point in doing so.

You're being needlessly antagonistic about this and acting like there's some sort of arbitrary gate one needs to pass in order to have an opinion about something. I explained what I meant in my original post with regards to boxing. Of course boxers move around the ring. They also sometimes plant their feet and "stick and move". That's the kind of movement I'm referencing. In this game if you just press b to dodge your character steps backwards. There's nothing incredibly dynamic about it but it still works and doesn't negatively impact the combat.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    So what else did you play this year? I'm not sure I played dozens, but I'm pulling from a decent sample size.
    Jeez, Inquisitor jdarksun... I didn't say it was a bad game! :P
    According to TA, I've played the following games (it's sorted by TA ratio) We Happy Few, Smoke And Sacrifice, Starpoint Gemini 2, Defiance 2050, Warframe, Pizza Titan Ultra, Anthem, Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Subdivision Infinity DX, Remnant: From the Ashes, NieR: Automata BECOME AS GODS Edition, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Control, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rebel Galaxy, Refunct, Fallout Shelter, Dynasty Warriors 9, A.O.T. Wings of Freedom
    With betas (Bless Unleashed for one) and/or games that I've already completed not showing on that list, like TERA, Destiny 2 , and Ashen (Sissna just isn't fun for me, and they have that DLC with a 7 pointer)... there's a smattering of other games too. But yeah.

edit: To use arbitrary numbers: if I were to rate this game on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being "bad" and 5 being "good" and everything between being "okay", when taking into account my entire experience with the game-which still includes having to wait for a patch in order to complete its achievements-it's a 3.75 of 5?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Jeez, Inquisitor jdarksun... I didn't say it was a bad game! :P
    According to TA, I've played the following games (it's sorted by TA ratio) We Happy Few, Smoke And Sacrifice, Starpoint Gemini 2, Defiance 2050, Warframe, Pizza Titan Ultra, Anthem, Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Subdivision Infinity DX, Remnant: From the Ashes, NieR: Automata BECOME AS GODS Edition, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Control, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rebel Galaxy, Refunct, Fallout Shelter, Dynasty Warriors 9, A.O.T. Wings of Freedom
    With betas (Bless Unleashed for one) and/or games that I've already completed not showing on that list, like TERA, Destiny 2 , and Ashen (Sissna just isn't fun for me, and they have that DLC with a 7 pointer)... there's a smattering of other games too. But yeah.

edit: To use arbitrary numbers: if I were to rate this game on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being "bad" and 5 being "good" and everything between being "okay", when taking into account my entire experience with the game-which still includes having to wait for a patch in order to complete its achievements-it's a 3.75 of 5?
    I'm looking for more games to play and too impatient to wait for GotY lists to come out. :lol: Like, I hear you saying "SWJFO was okay," and I'm looking for "but have you tried $GAME?" Control was pretty cool but I drifted away from it. I don't think I've played any of the others on that list. What's TA?

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    It is definitely my GOTY and that's saying a lot because there was some stiff competition this year. In all honesty if it wasn't a Star Wars game it probably wouldn't be my GOTY, but alas, it is and it has an amazing story to go with the great gameplay.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Haha... I'm probably the worst person to ask for recommendations because I just mainline games for achievements or spend my time idle/grinding in others (warframe, etc), but in general I don't really have GOTYs. :P
    TA is trueachievements, an achievement tracking page. The TA ratio calculates players owned vs achievement completion, such that the more people own a game but don't complete it (or particular achievements in a game), the higher the ratio for it goes. For example. We Happy Few has a wide install base because it's on Game Pass, but not a lot of people have played it the whole way through, or its DLC. Not a bad game, had a rough start and drama related to its kickstarter conversion and gearbox, etc, which eroded perception.
    For me, what really hurt SWJFO is the bugs, particularly the chest/secret completion one, because I cannot 100% the game until it's patched. If it delivered the same experience without them, then yeah it'd be a high okay. Had I not found that they were aware of the bug on their forums and had a fix in the wings, I would have stopped playing and moved on.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2019

How's Code Vein? Looking for what to play next. Thinking about Disco Elysium, but am willing to be convinced.

It's the first Soulslike I've enjoyed on the same level as a proper Fromsoft Souls (I have maybe 3000 hours played across those?). Worldbuilding is neat, character stories and aesthetic are both anime as fuck, so that's a plus or a minus (plus for me). Some people loathe the area designs but they seemed fine to me. Character creator's great.

I think it controls better than Souls, layout-wise, though weapons still impact lighter than I'd like compared to Souls. Playing without the NPC partner, it's probably harder than a proper Souls in difficulty (I think Grandmaster in Fallen Order was harder than Souls too, for the record). There are plenty of weapon movesets and builds to try as long as you resist the temptation of the One True Build That Destroys Everything. Between OP abilities, weapon types being not particularly balanced, and NPC partners of varying competence you can sorta pick your difficulty.

Looks like it will have a decent tail end of DLC and free updates so there may not be much rush to play it just yet.

tl;dr Like Dark Souls? Good with anime? You'll probably like Code Vein, because it has that and enough of its own unique twists that it doesn't feel like just that. Unless the weapons-don't-have-enough-weight-or-impact thing ruins the whole thing for you.

Kamar on
  • Options

It's the first Soulslike I've enjoyed on the same level as a proper Fromsoft Souls (I have maybe 3000 hours played across those?). Worldbuilding is neat, character stories and aesthetic are both anime as fuck, so that's a plus or a minus (plus for me). Some people loathe the area designs but they seemed fine to me. Character creator's great.

I think it controls better than Souls, layout-wise, though weapons still impact lighter than I'd like compared to Souls. Playing without the NPC partner, it's probably harder than a proper Souls in difficulty (I think Grandmaster in Fallen Order was harder than Souls too, for the record). There are plenty of weapon movesets and builds to try as long as you resist the temptation of the One True Build That Destroys Everything. Between OP abilities, weapon types being not particularly balanced, and NPC partners of varying competence you can sorta pick your difficulty.

Looks like it will have a decent tail end of DLC and free updates so there may not be much rush to play it just yet.

tl;dr Like Dark Souls? Good with anime? You'll probably like Code Vein, because it has that and enough of its own unique twists that it doesn't feel like just that. Unless the weapons-don't-have-enough-weight-or-impact thing ruins the whole thing for you.
    Hm, OK. I'm a fan of anime, but SWJFO is the first Soulslike that I haven't bounced off of. I tried Demon's Souls and bounced off. Steam says I tried Dark Souls PtDE for two hours, but I don't remember it. I have access to Bloodborn and DS3. The story and Star Wars! of SWJFO is what caused me to stick with it until I got good and started enjoying it. Wondering if something like Code Vein would be catchy enough for me to stick with.

• Options
    Yeah I know how the games systems want to work. This is basically a wannabe Sekiro, which is a good thing for a game about Jedi to aspire to be.

I just keep expecting the timing on the parry to be tighter than it is. But even on Jedi Master it’s “block when the enemy animation has started” and not “block when it connects” which can’t be done anyway since Cals blocking animation has a start up to it.

So I’ve got all of this Sekiro muscle memory wanting me to tap block on each hit contact and not hold it down before the hit connects and keep it down until the parry is over.

And then you unlock the super dodge that gives back force back, slows the enemy, doesn’t have a start up to worry about, and can be used at the last second and it’s like why even parry?

I did have to on the last boss because they are so nuts you just don’t get a chance to lower their stamina by making them block.

But just when I started to enjoy the combat the story got real dumb and flubbed the landing in the end.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Viskod wrote: »

I just keep expecting the timing on the parry to be tighter than it is. But even on Jedi Master it’s “block when the enemy animation has started” and not “block when it connects” which can’t be done anyway since Cals blocking animation has a start up to it.

Man I'm sorry.. no offense meant but what game are you even playing? That is exactly how parry works. On Jedi Master if you block right when an enemy starts the attack animation not only will you not parry, but you'll probably take some damage for blocking too early as well. Yes there is a windup to Cal's blocking animation, it's like a fraction of a second. There is a sweet spot that you have to hit to parry effectively and the higher the difficulty is set the smaller that sweet spot is. That sweet spot exists right before the attack connects, just as you wanted.

If you actually are some kind of ninja master and it really is just too slow for you, try bumping it up to grand master. That will give you the shortest window to parry or block before the attack connects.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    I mean, I kind of agree with both of you here, because boy oh boy is this not as tight as Sekiro. I would love it if the combat got as crisp as in a From/Platinum game, though I'm fine with the adjustable difficulty.

That said, Sekiro's not Star Wars, and so I don't really want to go back to it.

• Options
    That’s not a criticism just a statement that the timing is different and I had to get used to blocking earlier than I instinctively want to.

Well until I got that upgraded dodge, then it was all dodging and force power shenanigans.

• Options
  • Options
    You basically matrix dodge without moving or rolling away, slow the enemy for a second and regain good amount of force.

Here’s an all bosses/grandmaster/no damage video and you can see it in use starting at 5:50 on the Ninth Sister.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CFNAv1c0M

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Side note: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was in development before Sekiro, and it was inspired by older From Software games, not Sekiro.
    edit: see Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Is "Very Similar" To Sekiro, Confirms Respawn

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    All right , downloading now. Seeing as how I love all three things ( respawn,Star Wars and souls like games) I am kinda excited.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I wonder how many possible places there are to find some of the upgrades.
    On Waypoint they were talking about the double-bladed lightsaber on Dathomir vs finding it on Kashyyyk much later. Though I found it on Bogano after obtaining the scomp link - so there’s at least three places for that one at least.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    This game has to have one of the strongest last half-hours that I can remember in a long time.