As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    LMAO at the Coming Soon for the digital edition. Eat my ass Best Buy.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    6 hours from now (which is 4am for me so I'll catch up over breakfast later)

And then I woke up and pre-ordered a console at 6am before watching it.

The PS+ Collection will be great for my brother in law, he's been team Xbox the last few gens but he and his wife have both really enjoyed playing VR at ours so he was planning to go PS5.

It really seems like both MS and Sony want backwards compatibility to help people stay in their ecosystem, while making it really easy for those wanting to jump ship.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Try again i just added one to my cart.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

Try again i just added one to my cart.

I had to keep refreshing and clicking the ADD TO CART button before it switched to COMING SOON. Now playing CHECKOUT ROULETTE.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Yeah, I can't get to checkout.

I'm trapped AT checkout. The pain... it's right there... in my cart... just waiting..

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. I can't bring myself to buy one. I already got too much games.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Good work Sony, nice organization. Gonna be real frustrated if I just can't get one because apparently you don't even know when your own preorders are supposed to go live.

Anyway according to the Washington Post in an interview today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/
    Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console.

So it sounds like backwards compatibility is just fine.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Good work Sony, nice organization. Gonna be real frustrated if I just can't get one because apparently you don't even know when your own preorders are supposed to go live.

Anyway according to the Washington Post in an interview today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/
    Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console.

That's not on Sony. That's on the vendors. Sony isn't flipping the switch for them.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Got my disc edition preordered at GS.

I think I've settled on Spider-Man Ult. Edition, Demon's Souls, Avengers, and Cyberpunk (at least the PS4 edition on BC until the next gen updates hit). oh and Bugsnax.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    This is so fucking frustrating. EVERY GODDAMNED TIME a new console comes out, this happens. Can't anything ever be easy?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Well guess I'm not getting a PS5. Local GameStop is already sold out on pre-orders, and that was the only way I was willing to get one. I'm not paying full price for a PS5, I'll trade-in my PS4 Pro and a bunch of old games for a significant discount towards the PS5, which is generally what GameStop does with new console launches. This Pre-order rollout was a total shitshow, way to go Sony. I have to give credit where credit is due but Facebook did it right just a few hours earlier. They announce the Quest 2, give you details about the system, tell you the price and release date, and then end by saying, "Available for pre-order now". Perfect. Sony was like, 30 minutes of gameplay footage, end on price and release date, and then don't say a word while retailers scramble to start setting up pre-orders on their own terms.

If anybody notices any news blurb or article leading up to launch mentioning more pre-orders coming available in-store for GameStop let me know.

Edit: Quick question if anybody knows. Can you return online purchases in store? And if so, can you then turn around and re-purchase that same item or are unopened returns like that not allowed to be immediately resold? I ask because if more become available on the website I could always just go into a GameStop as soon as it ships to me and return it, then re-buy it with trade-ins to take advantage of whatever deals they have going on.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

That's not on Sony. That's on the vendors. Sony isn't flipping the switch for them.

Ehh, Sony put out a statement that said "preorders starting tomorrow!" Does each vendor control their own site? Yeah, sure, but Sony was definitely involved in the conversation. I would have been more vigilant if the original messaging was in any way true.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah if I can't get one at launch I'm just going to wait. Ironically the only reason I want one is so I can play my PS4 games with reduced loading times lol.

But of course I figured "preorders live tomorrow" meant tomorrow for me, not at 8pm so I wasn't watching my email.

• Options
    You guys may be shocked to find:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=playstation+5&_sacat=0

A ton of the pre-orders up on Ebay!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Fuck everything about this.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    You guys may be shocked to find:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=playstation+5&_sacat=0

A ton of the pre-orders up on Ebay!

So you’d actually be preordering someone else’s preorder ?

For only double the price !

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    This is the first time a new console has released that I actually wanted and I had plenty of cash to pre-order but nooope unless some oddball "select retailer" actually opens them up tomorrow instead of tonight. I was all ready to go hog wild and order an extra controller, charger, headset, and a couple of games. Oh well.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, this feels like breaking street date by the stores.

• Options
    Well after a long time of spamming the Best Buy website it now returns Out of Stock even though you can still add it to your cart. So I guess I'll give up on that.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's frustrating because it's always like this, and I'm hoping it doesn't repeat with the Xbox launch next week. I locked in my PS4 500 Million edition only by coordinating several people to all try at once on several different sites, all which went live at different times. Same thing for the Animal Crossing switch.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    This is the first time a new console has released that I actually wanted and I had plenty of cash to pre-order but nooope unless some oddball "select retailer" actually opens them up tomorrow instead of tonight. I was all ready to go hog wild and order an extra controller, charger, headset, and a couple of games. Oh well.

It doesn't look like Amazon has opened orders yet so there should be a big chunk available there.

Here I was feeling unsure about Target being all 13th to 18th based on shipping and wondering if I should find someplace else to try and pick one up. That probably isn't a viable plan with how these seem to be selling.

I guess I save 25 bucks from Target.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The nice thing is Amazon, GameStop.com and Walmart haven't put them up, and Amazon likely has a fuck load of stock. And Walmart's site is ass so it could work in your favor (or not!) Anyone still trying I do recommend going into GameStop tomorrow morning to try to lock in one if they manage to have stock left.

• Options
    I can't remember if Amazon and Sony are currently fighting over something or other. Amazon seems to do that with major retailers every now and then.

• Options
    I tried hitting Gamestops website and it was on fire too.

• Options
    I tried hitting Gamestops website and it was on fire too.

Hmm maybe it did go up, or people are just chomping at the bit in case it does

• Options
    The nice thing is Amazon, GameStop.com and Walmart haven't put them up, and Amazon likely has a fuck load of stock. And Walmart's site is ass so it could work in your favor (or not!) Anyone still trying I do recommend going into GameStop tomorrow morning to try to lock in one if they manage to have stock left.

I'm not sure about Gamestop but Walmart did put up the with-disk edition but have already sold out. According to the interwebs Walmart will have more pre-orders available on the 22nd. Why that should be the case I have no idea. I assume every retailer has said, "Yes, all of them" when asked how many consoles they want so unless Sony is slowly doling out how many to expect I'd think they just have them available.

• Options
    Gamestop went up and sold out. So did Walmart. Yeah, they're going that quickly.

Really the only major website left is Amazon.

• Options
    edited September 2020

I'm not sure about Gamestop but Walmart did put up the with-disk edition but have already sold out. According to the interwebs Walmart will have more pre-orders available on the 22nd. Why that should be the case I have no idea. I assume every retailer has said, "Yes, all of them" when asked how many consoles they want so unless Sony is slowly doling out how many to expect I'd think they just have them available.

Sony is flying stuff over. Being generous figure a week for that. Not all the consoles that are going to be shipping on launch day are made yet. Heck, they probably still have at least one ocean shipment left for the US. They may not be certain how many they have to sell. They absolutely have an estimate but they're spinning up the production lines and would be operating with conservative numbers on that.

Edit: That's just talking manufacturing/logistic stuff. They could be deciding where to award the second wave based on which retailers have pleased them via their advertising on Sony's behalf and what not.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ended up putting in a pre-order for the Digital version from walmart.ca. The Canadian pricing, with tax, ends up being $525 which is cheaper than the USD pricing after conversion (which is weird).

at this point though I'm primarily a PC gamer, especially with Gamepass Ultimate, so I'm like 50% on keeping the order. I do enjoy the exclusive PS games (2 a year or so) but is it really worth it to buy on launch for demon's souls remake, miles moralis, and that's it? (Especially since Miles is hitting PS4 as is Horizon 2)

edit - what I would LOVE to know is will my digital PS4 games all play on the PS5? and if so will they play better, especially at 1080? Cause if i could snag ghosts of sushi on the cheap and have it run amazing on my PS5, that's a reason to keep the order.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Ended up putting in a pre-order for the Digital version from walmart.ca. The Canadian pricing, with tax, ends up being $525 which is cheaper than the USD pricing (which is weird).

at this point though I'm primarily a PC gamer, especially with Gamepass Ultimate, so I'm like 50% on keeping the order. I do enjoy the exclusive PS games (2 a year or so) but is it really worth it to buy on launch for demon's souls remake, miles moralis, and that's it? (Especially since Miles is hitting PS4 as is Horizon 2)

I mean, probably not. It's dropping in November and I'd imagine any game developer who can get a game out the door before the end of the year will be pushing to get it out the door for launch, so would have had it in that preview reel. If you aren't jonesing for any of those before year's end and you don't have the $525 to blow...

I want a launch box for several of the games (spiderman, sackboy, and whatever the sci-fi shooter is called at launch; most of the 'coming soon' ones) and for totally ancillary reasons - faster load times in Destiny 2, hopefully an end to the weird 'periodic black screen for a few seconds' issue I've had with my PS4 Pro, having an extra PS in the house so I can put the 4pro on another TV, and I really want a better (and wireless) headset but I don't want to buy the PS4 platinum one since it's not forward compatible.

...If you, uh, don't wanna keep that pre-order... Edit: nevermind, saw you said digital edition. I wants me a disk drive.
    edit - what I would LOVE to know is will my digital PS4 games all play on the PS5? and if so will they play better, especially at 1080? Cause if i could snag ghosts of sushi on the cheap and have it run amazing on my PS5, that's a reason to keep the order.

Non-physical media back-compat is via a new edition of the game. Some companies are guaranteeing a PS5 version of your purchase if you own a digital version of their PS4 game (Cyberpunk 2077 and Destiny: Beyond Light are the ones that come to mind). Others haven't said and the assumption is you'll probably either have to re-buy the game as a PS5 edition or pay for an upgrade. I don't know which camp Ghosts of Tsushima is in.

As for running better... the load times will definitely be shorter. Texture resolution or model detail aren't going to magically increase. If the PS4 game had its framerate locked to 30fps then it's probably not going to jump to 60, if you care about that, but you probably won't get slowdowns when there's a lot of particles and lights on screen either.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Non-physical media back-compat is via a new edition of the game. Some companies are guaranteeing a PS5 version of your purchase if you own a digital version of their PS4 game (Cyberpunk 2077 and Destiny: Beyond Light are the ones that come to mind). Others haven't said and the assumption is you'll probably either have to re-buy the game as a PS5 edition or pay for an upgrade. I don't know which camp Ghosts of Tsushima is in.

As for running better... the load times will definitely be shorter. Texture resolution or model detail aren't going to magically increase. If the PS4 game had its framerate locked to 30fps then it's probably not going to jump to 60, if you care about that, but you probably won't get slowdowns when there's a lot of particles and lights on screen either.
    i'm not even talking about upgraded visuals, i have a host of PS4 games digitally from the past 7 years or however long it has been. will they load faster and more stable just out of the box or do they need bullshit patches? etc
    hell will they even all run?
    nobody knows!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

i'm not even talking about upgraded visuals, i have a host of PS4 games digitally from the past 7 years or however long it has been. will they load faster and more stable just out of the box or do they need bullshit patches? etc
    nobody knows!

Neither of the base PS4 models have SSDs in them, much less the secret sauce thing that they've got going on in the PS5. I'd imagine you'd see some upgrade even on old games.

Of course, the recent not great ports of Crystal Chronicles and Amalur both managed to have impressive load times for 20/10 year old games...

• Options

nobody knows!

Faster load-times will happen for anything that runs just due to hardware. The only really special upgrade in the PS5 vs. the PS4 Pro (like that isn't just making a number bigger on RAM or whatnot) is that they got special, extra-fast-access SSD drives made. They're supposed to dramatically improve load times even compared to a PS4 with an off-the-shelf SSD or the load times on a PC with an SSD for games with a PC release.

But will things be allowed to run at all without paying for a patch? Unless the publisher has said so, no way of knowing so far.

Quick googling indicates that Ghosts is PS5 compatible, so there will be some way to play it, but the publisher hasn't said one way or another if you'll need to pay to upgrade and the cynic in my assumes that means there'll be a fee involved.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I have to ask, is anyone really surprised by pre-order scarcity in this current environment? Especially given how over the last week or so in Sony news they announced to investors they were downscaling projections for hardware availability at launch and spending additional dollarydoos to air freight in order to meet the launch window

Like yeah it's a shitshow all around but it's not a shitshow people couldn't foresee

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    I have to ask, is anyone really surprised by pre-order scarcity in this current environment? Especially given how over the last week or so in Sony news they announced to investors they were downscaling projections for hardware availability at launch and spending additional dollarydoos to air freight in order to meet the launch window

Like yeah it's a shitshow all around but it's not a shitshow people couldn't foresee
    I assumed it would be a shit-show based purely on 40 years of video game and console launches always being a shit-show to one degree or another.

I was hoping the whole air freight thing might mean it was less of a shit-show.

• Options
    Yeah we're day 1 into this and it's become a shit show. I wish people couldn't flip the product on eBay. There are too many ways to buy things and flip them online.

But there's no way to do that.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Sorry, just to clarify, digital purchases aren't going to be backwards compatible?

• Options
    The real issue was Sony messing up the messaging. Plenty of people went to sleep tonight thinking pre-orders would be up tomorrow AM, now it's mostly gone already. People are saying it's retailers fault but Sony probably could have coordinated them better

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah we're day 1 into this and it's become a shit show. I wish people couldn't flip the product on eBay. There are too many ways to buy things and flip them online.

But there's no way to do that.

I wish there was an easier way to report all the eBay listings for pre-orders since re-selling pre-orders on eBay is both against their TOS as well as a violation of federal law.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
This discussion has been closed.