As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    There's no reason the PS1 catalogue shouldn't be compatible. Emulation was trivial years ago.

There's no reason the PS1 catalog shouldn't be compatible with the PS4, but it is. I mean, shit, it was playable on a PSP and yet somehow not on a PS4?

PS4 needed a chip that the PS1 had in order to run the discs. The Xbox series X is going to be backwards compatible with every xbox game, but Sony isn't aiming for the same.

Also, see ps1 classic mini.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    All your digital PS4, PS3, PSP and PSVita games are tied to your PSN account, so there shouldn't be any problems in the back end. So, in theory, it should work such that any supported PS4 game will simply appear in your PS5's owned game library.

Ps1 too

Since I had a PSP Go I have an absolute ton of digital ps1 and psp titles as well as my entire vita library. I’d love if thatbstuff became compatible, but I’m not holding my breath or anything

It depends on what parts of the marketplace are contiguous.

Normally, this wouldn't be so much of an issue, but this is Sony, the company that launched a console with backwards compatibility, then eventually removed it ("It only does everything!") and added a marketplace to purchase digital re-releases of some of the same games on said console.

This isn't the worse thing that can happen. It'd be worse if you couldn't play the games at all. But it wouldn't really be that surprising if they'd expect you to re-purchase games in the catalog older than the last console generation for the new Playstation 5. Not guaranteed by any means, just not surprising.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    There's no reason the PS1 catalogue shouldn't be compatible. Emulation was trivial years ago.

There's no reason the PS1 catalog shouldn't be compatible with the PS4, but it is. I mean, shit, it was playable on a PSP and yet somehow not on a PS4?

I was somewhat surprised when my PS4 Pro literally couldn't recognise a CD of any kind when popped into the drive.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
  • Options

I agree--I think in a year, we won't be talking about memory bandwidth and custom SSD storage solutions either.

Unless the console launches are delayed. :bigfrown:

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Not to be a negative Nancy, but what exactly is so revolutionary about it? It's just newer, more advanced tech is it not? There has been playstations that supported VR, there's been always online playstations, playstations with dedicated storage, wireless controllers as standard, etc. I haven't been following things closely, but what does the PS5 (or the new Xbox for that matter) offer that isn't just a better version of what's been done or at least attempted before?

That's not to say it won't be a great system, or a big jump forward, just that Pessino's statement there seems overwrought for what I've seen about it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Not to be a negative Nancy, but what exactly is so revolutionary about it? It's just newer, more advanced tech is it not? There has been playstations that supported VR, there's been always online playstations, playstations with dedicated storage, etc. I haven't been following things very closely, but what does the PS5 (or the new Xbox for that matter) offer that isn't just a better version of what's been done/attempted before?

It's very fast. Especially compared to the last generation, but in general (and even compared to PC NVMe storage, like my Sabrent 1 TB Rocket).

Don't bet on load times going away. Especially for a developer who weighs load times behind other criteria (and personally, load times are not the highest criteria I have for evaluating every game either). But used properly, they will be much shorter.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I guess I just don't consider "like before, but with way more power" to be "revolutionary" or "inspired".

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I guess I just don't consider "like before, but with way more power" to be "revolutionary" or "inspired".

Not power. Speed.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    In 6 months if logistics for a lot of things aren't figured out it's going to be like living in mad max/fallout. A ton of people are out of work, and it's only going to get worse. People might have money for food and some stuff in the back of their cupboard they haven't got around to making for food. But once that runs out people are going to resort to stealing and looting. Less than moral landlords will start kicking people out for not paying rent. Everyone is talking about hoarding toilet paper, but me and my wife went to Academy and got ammo for our .40 and AR-15. I already live in Tulsa so it's bordering on that almost every day in some parts of town.

SSD and badnwidth may not be the problem then. Though if everyone does get a $1000 check I could still see myself getting a ps5. They gotta come out with something sweet though, not some god of war 12 or other uninspired sequel. If i want to just play sequels ill get a switch and play pokemon, smash, and fire emblem.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Not power. Speed.

Seriously, you're going to split hairs to that degree? Improved performance by using newer parts, updated architecture, firmware, or software.

Contrast adding new functionality, like Sega CD being able to support multi-disc games, or the first console with removable storage like memory cards.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Not to be a negative Nancy, but what exactly is so revolutionary about it? It's just newer, more advanced tech is it not? There has been playstations that supported VR, there's been always online playstations, playstations with dedicated storage, etc. I haven't been following things very closely, but what does the PS5 (or the new Xbox for that matter) offer that isn't just a better version of what's been done/attempted before?

It's very fast. Especially compared to the last generation, but in general (and even compared to PC NVMe storage, like my Sabrent 1 TB Rocket).

Don't bet on load times going away. Especially for a developer who weighs load times behind other criteria (and personally, load times are not the highest criteria I have for evaluating every game either). But used properly, they will be much shorter.

And it's significantly faster than the Xbox SSD, too?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

Well it should be quieter, has modern sound (3d sound), super responsive thanks to the SSD, has HDMI 2.1 for VRR and other tech, and the controller has hapic feedback vs rumble. Along with a traditional leap in graphics, could make it a bigger jump than the PS3 to PS4, PS2 to PS3, and such. Revolutionary is over the top unless it's going to plug into my head lol.

I'm really interested to see what developers can do with all the extra stuff in this generations architecture.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options

Perhaps it's not, but in general, even generational upgrades are usual iterative and evolutionary rather than "revolutionary" (whether or not that is "inspired" is a wholly separate matter).

If you want something revolutionary, look at the move from catridge-based ROM chip storage to optical storage in a gaming console--that's revolutionary, I'd say. And ironically, it set up a new normal expectation where video game load times grew substantially in most cases, because it allowed games to grow in size by an order of magnitude.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Not power. Speed.

Seriously, you're going to split hairs to that degree? Improved performance by using newer parts, updated architecture, firmware, or software.

I'm not splitting hairs, I'm correcting you. Xbox Series X has beefier stats on paper, but developers are all in love with the PS5 because of its ridiculous data transfer speeds.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not dissing the PS5, I'm being critical of that one tweet's choice of superlatives.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Not power. Speed.

I'm not splitting hairs, I'm correcting you. Xbox Series X has beefier stats on paper, but developers are all in love with the PS5 because of its ridiculous data transfer speeds.

You are nitpicking, because what you are correcting is irrelevant to the point I was making. Improved performance (of one sort or another) is not what I would consider revolutionary, no matter how large the margin of increase.

Adding all new features like the evolution of controllers from generations 1-5, or adding data storage to systems, or 4 player couch co-op, or VR, or online gameplay, or motion controls. That's the kind of changes I'd call revolutionary.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Hey maybe developers will start including local co-op again.

Ah who am I kidding.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Ah who am I kidding.

You know what that would do to load times? Nothing good, that much is certain.

If anything, expect even fewer co-op games. You don't divide your memory bandwidth and storage between two players simultaneously. That's what another console is for.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Super fast SSDs being standardized is actually pretty revolutionary; think of how much time you spend on loading screens, or riding annoyingly long elevators, or walking through twisty hallways. With efficient SSD streaming, load times won't just be faster, there won't be any loading at all. That's an insane boost in freedom for game design in general.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yeah, for me it's definitely revolutionary because we are no longer limiting content to just how fast can a console stream it. I don't see anything grand happening initially, but I do think that we will eventually have developers really find new things to do with it.

Even PC games have been made with slower HDDs in mind, with the advantage of SSD being used mostly for lower load times or higher quality content streaming (e.g. GTAV or The Division) only. I'm not creative enough to think of something, but this kind of bandwidth should really improve games much more beyond nicer graphics and shorter load times.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't need blazing fast load times. Depending on the game and the nature of the load, I'm not against looking at a black screen. I'm just pulling numbers out my ass, but something like 10-15 seconds on an initial boot of a game, and 5-7 seconds in game when transitioning between major sections. You might be able to tweak those numbers a little higher if you give me something interesting to look at during the screen, but don't push it. Even just a loading bar can help, although they're notorious liars. Obviously nobody wants the 30+ second load times. But I'm ok with small ones. Long enough that I can maybe take my hand off the controller and take a sip of water.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Ah who am I kidding.

That's just crazy talk.

"Local co-op is a last-last-gen feature" - Kaz Hirai (probably)

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I don't need blazing fast load times. Depending on the game and the nature of the load, I'm not against looking at a black screen. I'm just pulling numbers out my ass, but something like 10-15 seconds on an initial boot of a game, and 5-7 seconds in game when transitioning between major sections. You might be able to tweak those numbers a little higher if you give me something interesting to look at during the screen, but don't push it. Even just a loading bar can help, although they're notorious liars. Obviously nobody wants the 30+ second load times. But I'm ok with small ones. Long enough that I can maybe take my hand off the controller and take a sip of water.

Better load times also mean being able to do loadless big open world games better with more content and depth. Your Zelda: BotWs and Horizon: Zero Dawns and for one of the earliest examples Jak & Daxter.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Better load times also mean being able to do loadless big open world games better with more content and depth. Your Zelda: BotWs and Horizon: Zero Dawns and for one of the earliest examples Jak & Daxter.

Yeah, they even used Jak 2 as an example of the kind of level design they had to use to get around load screens. Lots of winding corridors and whatnot.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya the ps5's ssd isn't just supposed to be fast, but according to that comparison infographic going around its roughly twice as quick as the series x. That's insane and will be interesting to see how it affects exclusive games that don't need to design around both consoles.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    As somebody who dies a lot in games, I like the idea of shorter loading times

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah and for non-open world games, I'd assume it'll allow even larger higher resolution textures to be used.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I guess super fast loading times were revolutionary like in 1985. Or was it earlier?

It's pretty funny. Sony "revolutionized" the industry with CD-roms (ps1), which introduced loading times. Now they are saying they are doing it again by reversing what they did so many years ago? Oh good lord, I'm not biting.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I guess super fast loading times were revolutionary like in 1985. Or was it earlier?

It's pretty funny. Sony "revolutionized" the industry with CD-roms (ps1), which introduced loading times. Now they are saying they are doing it again by reversing what they did so many years ago? Oh good lord, I'm not biting.

I feel like that's misrepresenting what they did; The real innovation was being able to store ten times the data of an N64 cartridge on Nintendo's best days(while also being magnitudes cheaper to print). The loading times were simply an unfortunate but necessary consequence of optical media rather than a New Coke style marketing stunt set up for them to capitalize on 25 years later.

With current hard drive/memory card capacities/speeds and mandatory install sizes being what they are now, yeah it's becoming less of an excuse to still have optical media nowadays(it's feeling more and more phased out with each passing year anyways), but at the time it really was an innovation despite the drawback and you don't even need to do a whole lot more than an at-a-glance comparison between many N64/PS1 games to see the difference. (despite the PS1 being a 'mere' 32-bits.. scoff)

The load times nowadays however are more often attributed to massive install sizes than running off of optical media. If you can nearly eliminate read/load times on some 50GB behemoth of an installation on a console, yeah I'd call that an impressive feat.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I don't remember in any PS1 marketing material seeing optical media as some load time boon. It was always about game size, allowing games to have nicer textures, bigger worlds, better music, voice acting, etc. Load times were absolutely a consequence of upping game fidelity, not the advertised goal. Flash media as we know it today didn't exist back then so to get the kind of data density they needed for the next jump in fidelity optical media was the only obvious choice.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I think a decent way to think about it is that a number like teraflops tells you the amount of calculations on a short series of frames.
    How good can 1 second of this game look. What particle effects, aliasing, retracing texture quality.

But this change in load times makes it so the short term variety of assets that can appear are incredibly increased.

Cerny said that the balance between available memory and SSD speed is such that they expect to be able to only worry about assets within 1 second of it needing to appear.
    That means you are changing level design, encounter design. You can do very fast changing sequences. No hidden loads behind snaky corridors or walk n talks.

The caveat here is that such tech is not as advanced in PCs or suspected XBX, which means it will be more limited in implementation on PS5 on non-exclusives.

Could well end up with "loads 10% faster on PS5, slightly better fps on XBX"

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Boy I don’t understand all of this negativity about faster load times. I play Destiny 2 on PC (where I have a pretty slow SATA SSD) and on PS4 Pro, and the load times are shockingly bad on the console. It’s crazy how much that makes me happier when I’m back on PC.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The caveat here is that such tech is not as advanced in PCs or suspected XBX, which means it will be more limited in implementation on PS5 on non-exclusives.

If Sony ends up doing as well next generation as this one, its possible that 3rd parties target PS5 and making everyone else deal with hitching or lower quality textures. Sort of like how some games just fall apart on Xbone S these days.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    SanderJK wrote: »

If Sony ends up doing as well next generation as this one, its possible that 3rd parties target PS5 and making everyone else deal with hitching or lower quality textures. Sort of like how some games just fall apart on Xbone S these days.

Some games run worse on PS4 than Xbox One for whatever reason until they're patched--look at Borderlands 3, Control, or Red Dead Redemption 2. Despite it being the more popular platform. Given what we know about the Playstation 5's GPU and the Xbox Series X's GPU, I'm rather dubious about "lower quality textures", and it sounds like the reverse is more likely.

"Hitching" sounds more believable, I suppose.
    Roe wrote: »

PS4 needed a chip that the PS1 had in order to run the discs. The Xbox series X is going to be backwards compatible with every xbox game, but Sony isn't aiming for the same.

Well, every Xbox One game, anyway. And about 600 Xbox 360 games and 40 original Xbox games (which is kind of lame, considering there were apparently around one thousand original Xbox releases). It's just the sum up of the Xbox One's BC program going forward, because that's part of the Xbox One's complete library. So you can't just pop in any Xbox disc from the last +15 years and expect it to work.

The surprise is that the Playstation 4 library isn't uniformly arriving on Playstation 5, "just" the top 100 titles. I don't think they've said anything about Playstation 3, 2, and 1 games (considering how the PS3 worked out, that sounds like a dead end)?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Some games run worse on PS4 than Xbox One for whatever reason until they're patched--look at Borderlands 3, Control, or Red Dead Redemption 2. Despite it being the more popular platform. Given what we know about the Playstation 5's GPU and the Xbox Series X's GPU, I'm rather dubious about "lower quality textures", and it sounds like the reverse is more likely.

Sony's SSD is fast enough they can be loading textures mid-scene. Like not for the next area, like for use in that very scene. Cerny mentioned around a 1 second buffer. That's the kind of revolutionary stuff devs might drool over. They have the same overall memory and Sony's is fully unified, so they should have the advantage here. Of course they are probably rendering at lower resolution on PS5 so that could be a moot advantage, but...

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    It could very well be that I'm the minority here - but PS4 bc only is perfectly fine for me. I skipped this gen of consoles, so "just" having the 100 most played games on ps4 in my bc backlog is more than enough for me.

That said, i can totally understand the value offered by MS to those who have an extensive oxbox/360/one libray to play in between big new shiny releases for X.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Let's be honest, we haven't really gotten a widespread revolution in gaming hardware since the online era of the 360/PS3/Wii. And even then, the oXbox did that first (if not hugely popularized). Since then we haven't really gotten any games that haven't been possible before (Wii/VR/Kinect/other accessory weirdness aside), and graphical improvement has been increasingly less noticeable compared to previous generational leaps. Yes, there's still infinite room for improvement. Just like there's an infinite number of possible hues between very very very very very very light blue and very very very very very very very light blue.

That said shorter load times will be nice.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Yeah I'm excited to see where Sony's first-party console exclusives will go with it, but I don't see the future being substantially differentiated between the two consoles for multiplatforms. For those games the PS5 might have the edge on a comfortable overhead with streaming in textures or loading etc. but otherwise I'm banking on the different versions behaving very similarly based off their strengths and limitations (of which I'm sure both consoles will hit some sort of technical bottleneck at some point)

We're heading into a generation where both major manufacturers have invested exorbitant amounts of time, thought and technical know-how for the next generation of hardware to set at least a substantial improvement over the current hardware, and with mid-generation refresh platforms now a possibility across all manufacturers any power or speed gaps won't mean much in the long run to begin with.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, Naughty Dog twitched about how excited they are to be working with the ps5. Specifically the leap in data transfer speed from the SSD Sony is using.

oHw5R0V.jpg
This discussion has been closed.