As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Also: I'm mega-hyped for PS5 just because I love a shiny new machine, OS, etc., but... what the heck is going to be playable at launch? Right now, it seems like I'm going to be playing more of my PS4 backlog and Destiny 2 at 4K/60. Miles Morales is the only thing I think is confirmed for launch, and rumors abound that Demon's Souls might be ready by year-end and that Ratchet & Clank may be sooner than we think? Maybe GT7 will be ready this year? Just wish Sony had some compelling launch shit to tell me about.

Apparently, we're seeing R&C footage (gameplay demo) at Gamescom this week, so that's neat. Maybe I'll be playing Little Devil Inside and other indies this holiday season. I'm cool with that. But show me more!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    That’s why I’m not jumping on for at least a year. I did the launch PS4 thing and I didn’t have much to play on it for a long while. Maybe wait for the slim.

It’s not like I don’t have a mile long backlog.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, idk. Like, playing my PS4 games on a better console might be worth the upgrade in the meantime, I guess? There are games I know I'm gonna want to play on it within the first year and it's not like it's gonna get cheaper or go on any meaningful sort of sale in the first year anyway. I'll probably get one if there's stock on Amazon. And if it's sold out, no biggie, I can wait.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    This will probably be the first gen that I don't pre-order a console since the original Playstation. I had the PS2, PS3 and PS4 all at launch and was super happy about each of them, but there's nothing that makes me feel like I need this one on day 1.

I'll end up getting one at some point, but sometime in 2021 is looking way more likely than this year.

Ketar on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Im waiting to see how bloodborne plays.

I skipped the pro.

I need a new pc this year too so timing is bad.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I skipped the pro.

Yeah, I dunno if I wanna get a 3080 and a PS5 or just pick one :|

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Microsoft sounds like they want to abandon generations altogether and just keep rolling incremental upgrades with years of transitional first-party support.

I've got old gaming magazines from 2001 with editorials complaining about how Microsoft has no business selling consoles because they will fall back on what they know and PC-ify console gaming. Those doomsayers were only off by 2 decades ...

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Microsoft sounds like they want to abandon generations altogether and just keep rolling incremental upgrades with years of transitional first-party support.

I've got old gaming magazines from 2001 with editorials complaining about how Microsoft has no business selling consoles because they will fall back on what they know and PC-ify console gaming. Those doomsayers were only off by 2 decades ...

Legacy software support ruined personal computing, and now it's going to run consoles.

Little did you know, Sony was doing you a friend's favor for removing it from the Playstation 3 and 4. :winky:

I skipped the pro.

I do too. My Asus Z97-A is old enough that it's becoming problematic, and putting new equipment inside of it periodically isn't helping anyone.

Flight Simulator is probably the last "extremely high end" PC game I'm going to run on it. With the RTX 3000-series announcement-ish type thing, a new motherboard, an i7 of some kind, and basically replacing everything except for the hard drives, the thought makes me extremely anxious. On top of that, a woman in a Chevrolet SUV completely obliterated my sedan, and replacing it still cost a lot after the insurance payment. And I bought a new monitor, which was pretty much a prerequisite if I was going to buy a new PC.

I think I'm just going to buy one of the pricier editions with more aircraft and detailed airports when it comes to console. The equivalent replacement for my RTX 1080 Ti is going to cost more than a console by itself. :bigfrown:

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Is it me or is it getting kinda insane that they have not released the price yet?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Is it me or is it getting kinda insane that they have not released the price yet?

Yes. Sony has put up pre-preorders for the PS5 and still hasn't mentioned a price yet lmao

It's getting a little ridiculous

• Options

Yes. Sony has put up pre-preorders for the PS5 and still hasn't mentioned a price yet lmao

I'm going to be getting it regardless but would be sweet to know how much to budget

• Options

It's invitation only for that reason! :lol:

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    They should just announce the price as "$less than the Series X, we don't care how much it is, we've waited too long to blink now".

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    They should just announce the price as "$less than the Series X, we don't care how much it is, we've waited too long to blink now".

Then Xbox holds a press conference saying "Our price is literally 5 bucks less than theirs. Whatever their price is, minus 5 bucks."

Then they have a slap fight.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yep. Given price is always the main factor and there's more similarities between the two than there ever has been, this game of chicken probably has a while to go yet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yep. Given price is always the main factor and there's more similarities between the two than there ever has been, this game of chicken probably has a while to go yet.

I mean, they're suppose to come out this year, so... there's not much more room.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Have they given any kind of concrete date yet?
    The last I heard, Microsoft were saying November 2020 (so only five years away).
    If it really comes to it, they can just wait until Microsoft have to announce the price because they're releasing it, then come out a week later with a lower price.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I'm going to be getting it regardless but would be sweet to know how much to budget

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

As someone once said.

• Options
    Don't worry. Just get ready to collect on the sweet bounties Sony will put out on unsold systems in the wild.

Be armed.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    It must be September, right ?

I’m assuming, like Microsoft, they’ll want them in stores in November, so October would be leaving it very late for people wanting to know how much more cash they’re going to need with Christmas following on closely.

Overtime this weekend, daddy needs a shiny new console.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm guessing you aren't getting that invite from Sony to pre-order a PS5 unless you're an "influencer" or whatever.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm guessing you aren't getting that invite from Sony to pre-order a PS5 unless you're an "influencer" or whatever.

Those are handled separately and privately usually. So this sign is for regular folk, but they might still filter it in some way yeah.

• Options
    taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular

I have a buddy who's an everyday joe shmo, only plays COD barely anything else, he got an invite and I didn't. So idk how they're doing it

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    taco543 wrote: »

I have a buddy who's an everyday joe shmo, only plays COD barely anything else, he got an invite and I didn't. So idk how they're doing it

An invite to pre-order, or just the invite to submit your account ID to be considered for being allowed to pre-order?

I got the latter yesterday, and I've barely touched my PS4 over the last 4-5 months.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Eh, that Kotaku article is super misleading. They aren't "taking preorders" and asking anyone to commit before they disclose the price. All they're doing is gauging interest and using this to kick off a lottery whereby a lucky few will be able to preorder directly from Sony's new online store during a short window.

I just signed up, because I'm willing to preorder from Sony (free shipping for PS+ members!) and give that a shot. If I get selected, I'll hop on during the preorder window and place my preorder. If I don't get selected, I'll just go to Amazon (while supplies last).
    Yep I signed up as well, but for me it's going to come down to price. If it's under AUD$1000 I'm buying it. If not, I'll wait for the 'second printing' and buy from amazon (or try to import one from the US).

The main thing I'm looking forward to is faster load times. Destiny might be an outlier but I literally spend 15 minutes "getting ready" before I can play between the long load screen, dropping to the tower to pick up the daily Banshee bounties, flick over the Tangled Shore to buy a couple of Enchancement Cores and turn glimmer into planetary mats, then look at what is on my quest to-do list and spend a couple minutes getting my loadout set for whatever that is going to be, before I start loading into THAT activity.... and then I can actually start playing. And that's ignoring the several times per map that the whole thing frezzes up for 20 seconds while it is loading the next map segment. On the PC with a SSD it takes maybe two minutes to do all that setup. On the PS4Pro it takes that long just for the game to get to character select screen and a solid 15 minutes to work through the rest of that.

Yeah, having faster load times is going to be worth every dollar.

26904.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, the improved load times are the most alluring feature of the new hardware, for me. A close second, if devs make use of it, is the new architecture’s ability to apply updates more selectively and minimize duplication of game files. Some AAA releases are truly obscene, at the moment, with their install size, download size, and gigantic update files. Looking at you, Modern Warfare.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Updating game files without huge downloads is more on the games engine and the developers than on Sony and their firmware. You still get it outside of PS4 games, so it's likely not going anywhere.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Updating game files without huge downloads is more on the games engine and the developers than on Sony and their firmware. You still get it outside of PS4 games, so it's likely not going anywhere.
    AFAIK, it's Sony's hardware that requires that you have enough free space to double the game's size for an update.
    Which is great to make sure you have a clean copy to go back to if the update process breaks something, but means that you need to keep 100+GB available rather than use it for anything. So that's a firmware issue.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I know it's not super common, even in PC, but I really wish more devs would zip their updates and then let them be extracted once downloaded. I know it would increase install speeds but it would help tremendously with download speed, which is where I am severely limited.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

Those are handled separately and privately usually. So this sign is for regular folk, but they might still filter it in some way yeah.

I got an invite, and I influence nothing. I do have a Playstation credit card, however, so that probably played into it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    By invite are you talking about an email telling you to go to the site and put in your PSN ID and they’ll let you know when it’s ready?

Or do you mean AFTER doing that you’ve gotten messaged about actually ordering something.

• Options
    taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    taco543 wrote: »

An invite to pre-order, or just the invite to submit your account ID to be considered for being allowed to pre-order?

I got the latter yesterday, and I've barely touched my PS4 over the last 4-5 months.

oh, the latter, I didn't know there was different currently

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

As someone once said.

Thankfully, I'm 40 and my kid has moved out so I have this thing called "disposable income" ...

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

As someone once said.

Thankfully, I'm 40 and my kid has moved out so I have this thing called "disposable income" ...

I feel like phone upgrades have put the nearly-centennial tradition of a new console purchase in perspective.

I’m still hoping to see a price slightly above what hardware experts have estimated as their respective cost, from both companies. Neither the prospect of the games division at MS being run at a loss, and being commensurately low on corporate priorities, or of Sony bleeding out, would be good for consumers and gamers.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Quarantine is already massively boosting revenues on this "dying" gen, and it will ensure all these relevant companies do quite well in the next regardless of what system price they set.

• Options
    https://kotaku.com/ps5-will-only-be-backward-compatible-with-ps4-games-ac-1844905688
    Not sure how trustworthy Ubisoft really is these days so, grain of salt. But that's a bummer.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/ps5-will-only-be-backward-compatible-with-ps4-games-ac-1844905688
    Not sure how trustworthy Ubisoft really is these days so, grain of salt. But that's a bummer.

Yeah, it is.

I think after that tech presentation earlier in the year, it was clear this was the case, but still disappointing.

I have to remind myself that the simple fact that, despite having a PS3 and PS2 hooked up and ready to play, I haven't turned on either, intentionally, in several years; so it's kind of hard to blame Sony for not spending the time/money on trying to put that in the PS5. It would be 100% a fanservice (maybe not the right word? same idea at least) thing that would win them some points, but likely have no effect on profits, and the cost would most definitely never be recouped.

Particularly if they do intend (as the kotaku article theorizes) that PS1/2 games could come to PSNow at some point. There is probably more potential customers who would get that additional service for the old games, than there would be people who would use something built into every PS5, so from a business perspective, it makes sense.

I just really would like to clear some of these consoles off my shelves. I know, I know, I could just put them away; but it's a lot easier to hope someone else takes care of my problems! :lol:

Having said all that, it's still stupid as fuck that I can't play digital games I've bought (ps1/ps2) on the PS3, on the PS4, and unlikely will be able to on the PS5. But, then, that just opens up a big can of worms in why the same is true for the virtual console, and so on. :rotate:

Capitalism givith and capitalism taketh away.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Yeah I have a PS Classic hooked up right now that gets a lot more action than my PS4. Of course it's loaded with... Supplemental materials, but the point stands that people do wanna play those games. Just look at the steam page for any classic PC title and you'll find a dedicated playerbase.

Sometimes I don't really wanna care about licensing rights and all that jazz, and just wanna play Marvel Vs Capcom 2 with the boys

• Options
    edited August 2020
    ...Is this supposed to be surprising? I was taking that as the base assumption unless Sony said anything to indicate otherwise.

klemming on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Given the wacky architecture BC for PS3 games would be a titanic pain in the ass. Minor bummer, but yeah, not surprising.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.