As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Given the wacky architecture BC for PS3 games would be a titanic pain in the ass. Minor bummer, but yeah, not surprising.

I'd say I can give them a pass, but I've seen some impressive PS3 emulation online and while it's demanding, it's not that hard. And given Sony's history just taking a well known PS1 emulator and plopping it on the classic, well they coooould just use one of those.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    ...Is this supposed to be surprising? I was taking that as the base assumption unless Sony said anything to indicate otherwise.

Lot of pie-in-the-sky speculation about every single PlayStation generation being playable on PS5, which... Yeah. That'd be a really cool bullet point in an E3 presentation, but ultimately, I don't think it matters at all. I think it would be a fraction of a fraction of the playerbase that would be interested in playing PS1 or PS2 games natively on new hardware.

The best course now would be to make games from all generations playable via PS Now, etc. It's super dumb that you need a PS3 or a Vita to play PS1 and PS2 Classics, for example.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Not to mention the PS2 emulator they use for most Classics titles is a joke. The Jack and Daxter ports are mangled.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Given the wacky architecture BC for PS3 games would be a titanic pain in the ass. Minor bummer, but yeah, not surprising.

I'd say I can give them a pass, but I've seen some impressive PS3 emulation online and while it's demanding, it's not that hard. And given Sony's history just taking a well known PS1 emulator and plopping it on the classic, well they coooould just use one of those.

I can't remember how that lawsuit ended up. It would be a smart move for Sony to just roll up with a reasonable sized of cash and buy the console rights to one of the better functioning emulators.

Of course, there is negative money involved in that as it means no more reselling old games.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya I honestly didn't expect anything earlier than PS4. It wasn't until this gen that Playstation started to use a more traditional computer architecture. The PS1, 2, and 3 all had their own propriety stuff going on that makes emulation way harder compared to the PS4, which uses a x86 architecture like the PS5.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    ...Is this supposed to be surprising? I was taking that as the base assumption unless Sony said anything to indicate otherwise.

It really isn't. The "surprising"--and good--bit was when Sony adjusted their PS4 BC projected support from "the majority of the top 100 titles" to "most of the +4000 titles in the Playstation 4 library", which...admittedly aren't conflicting statements to begin with. I don't think Sony even coyly hinted there might be something for the PS3 in the works, considering it's completely absent on the PS4 after seven years, or for that matter PS2. Digital re-distributions/remasters are your BC, and that's it. I don't know how people were getting their hopes up if they paid even a little attention.

Since the PS4 did completely terminate BC at launch (as oppose to the PS3, which just mostly terminated it early-ish in its lifetime), PSNow is...now...pulling double-duty as the venue for whatever Playstation's backwards compatibility initiatives will look like. Which, if you're like me and see streaming gaming as kind of a meh prospect for a variety of reasons, is a bad sign because, unlike backwards compatibility support, the streaming aspect isn't going anywhere.

(Also because Sony killed PSNow on more than half the platforms it supported, including its own tech, 3 years ago for business reasons. Or something.)

Obviously, if you're looking for compatibility with existing PS3, PS2, and most notably PS1 libraries (since Sony has kept BC support all the way through the PS3's life, since a 20-year-old laptop can accurately emulate Playstation 1-hardware), you're not getting it anymore than you got it on PS4. Possibly less, if you include redistribution of digital-only titles. That initiative is dead. But I presume what most people are looking for is support for their PS4 libraries--that program lives on, it would seem.

The real question: will it play Super Robot Wars V?

79xjaobldo7g.jpg

EDIT: To clarify, I'm the hand holding the Magic 8-Ball in this scenario. I'm not the Magic 8-Ball. I don't have sources.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I learned my lesson early on, when my PS2 managed to not perfectly emulate some of my PS1 games.
    So I have my PS2 and 3 in a cupboard, and will probably be putting the PS4 in there soon. I'm sure as hell not selling them for a fraction of their value just to get a tiny discount on a PS5.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I learned my lesson early on, when my PS2 managed to not perfectly emulate some of my PS1 games.
    So I have my PS2 and 3 in a cupboard, and will probably be putting the PS4 in there soon. I'm sure as hell not selling them for a fraction of their value just to get a tiny discount on a PS5.

It is possible Gamestop will give a large amount for the trade-in. When the new version of the Switch came out, they offered $200 or something ridiculous for the old version which meant upgrading was only $100. If they offer $300 for the PS4, it might be worth getting rid of it.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

I can't remember how that lawsuit ended up. It would be a smart move for Sony to just roll up with a reasonable sized of cash and buy the console rights to one of the better functioning emulators.

Of course, there is negative money involved in that as it means no more reselling old games.

None of the PS3 emulators out there are anywhere near ready for prime time.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options

I wish my PS3 wasn't dying, because using a PS2 today kind of sucks in a very understandable way.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Yeah, the unofficial emulation is up to 60% compatibility so far. But I don't want to undersell that, especially when it's reverse engineering instead of you know, being at Sony themselves with all the design knowledge and specs.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I think the takeaway is that they're probably capable of doing it for at least PS1 and PS2 games if they cared enough to put in the effort of reselling those games. But unless there are specifically some sort of licensing issues stopping them that they haven't talked about, they don't, probably as some matter of principle, and probably won't given it's easier for them to encourage third parties to make more money by selling exclusive remakes and remasters.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    shadowane wrote: »

It is possible Gamestop will give a large amount for the trade-in. When the new version of the Switch came out, they offered $200 or something ridiculous for the old version which meant upgrading was only $100. If they offer $300 for the PS4, it might be worth getting rid of it.

Given that they’re offering under $100 for PS4s at the moment, that would strike me as spectacularly unlikely even if that retail chain were in far better shape financially.

I’m good with the plan of hanging onto the original hardware. Even if, someday, I embark on a project of decluttering my living room via emulation, these systems don’t take up all that much room in a closet. Last time I took old clothes to donate, now THAT was a lot space saved.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

Given that they’re offering under $100 for PS4s at the moment, that would strike me as spectacularly unlikely even if that retail chain were in far better shape financially.

I’m good with the plan of hanging onto the original hardware. Even if, someday, I embark on a project of decluttering my living room via emulation, these systems don’t take up all that much room in a closet. Last time I took old clothes to donate, now THAT was a lot space saved.

Yeah, I don't see them offering huge $ for PS4 trade-ins. They're not in a good place financially and it would mean a lot of bonus credit compared to what they're offering right now.

I upgraded from a launch PS4 to a Pro because they were running a promotion that gave... I think it was $220 in credit? I remember paying under $200 for my Pro. I don't see that kind of thing happening again, but hey, maybe they're desperate for people to come back to the store and (they hope) buy a bunch of games with the console (not happening).

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Switch to Switch model 2 was different to PS4 to PS4 Pro or PS4/PS4 Pro to PS5 for a couple of reasons,

First, it wasn’t a hardware upgrade as much as a better efficiency upgrade. If parents bought their kid a used Switch rather than a model 2 then they’d only ever notice a lower handheld battery life.

Second, Switch’s are cheaper than Playstations and more popular with kids, making second hand Switch’s move better than second hand Playstations.

They could take a hit on offering more on a trade in due to the volume of second hand Switch’s they’d sell.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not to mention Switches are selling like crazy. Not to say PS4 isn't doing good, mind. But Switch is the hawt market.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Switch to Switch model 2 was different to PS4 to PS4 Pro or PS4/PS4 Pro to PS5 for a couple of reasons,

First, it wasn’t a hardware upgrade as much as a better efficiency upgrade. If parents bought their kid a used Switch rather than a model 2 then they’d only ever notice a lower handheld battery life.

Second, Switch’s are cheaper than Playstations and more popular with kids, making second hand Switch’s move better than second hand Playstations.

They could take a hit on offering more on a trade in due to the volume of second hand Switch’s they’d sell.

Does anyone remember what a new Playstation 4 console cost at the time of the Playstation 4 Pro's release in 2016? Out of an academic curiosity--the PSFro dropped quickly in price through second-hand sellers, probably just because of inventory. How much did a Switch cost at the time?

That being said, I don't think you're going to get more than $100 for a PS4 trade in either, and not much more for a PSFro.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Not to mention Switches are selling like crazy. Not to say PS4 isn't doing good, mind. But Switch is the hawt market.

i still think it's weird that they are selling like crazy when there is a fundamental problem with their controllers that they have even publicly admitted. like i want a switch, but ill wait until a new model fixes those issues or i just wont get one. i really only want to play fire emblem and pokemon anyway, and i personally like the games with sprite art better anyway.

i dont think ill be unplugging my ps4 when i get a ps5, probably a handful of games i like to play wont be BC. and if it runs fine on ps4 there isnt much reason to take up HD space on the ps5. i dont play a lot of the games that have insane load times, maybe monster hunter sometimes.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    'Fundamental problem' is a bit much. I've had one for years, use it regularly, haven't had a problem with it.

edit: and a new model isn't a solution unless you've got a Switch Lite. The solution is a new Joycon, not a new console. When they do that, they'll just replace them without any fanfare.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Everyone I know who owns a Switch has claimed to run into drift or more significant usually joystick-related problems (which they either replaced or ignored or did both), so I just assumed people got used to it. The Switch Lite was supposed to fix the issue, but I guess not? It still sells very well, people can forgive a lot.

EDIT: Pardon--Switch Go? Why did I think it was called that? Weird.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    The 360 had the infamous red ring of death problem, and it didn't seem to hamper its sales at all. At least Nintendo will cheerfully fix the issue for free if you run into it.

• Options
    The 360 had the infamous red ring of death problem, and it didn't seem to hamper its sales at all. At least Nintendo will cheerfully fix the issue for free if you run into it.

Yeah, cheerfully. :lol:

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Their status update emails to those affected by the problems are pretty upbeat, at least.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Their status update emails to those affected by the problems are pretty upbeat, at least.

You're probably not wrong, though it's hard to picture any company being that cheerful about retroactive refunds--but we're also discussing this in a Playstation thread, where more than one of us are legal beneficiaries in one or more of Sony's console-related class-action lawsuits. Cheerful compared to that, at least.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Two friends never got a reply from Nintendo regarding issues with their joycon issues, even though they said they'd be honoring them even if they aren't in the U.S.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I have a launch day Switch and have never had a joycon drift issue. *shrug*

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I've found if your house is at all dusty or if you have a pet, chances are greater that something can get into the controller/under the stick. It's usually not the stick itself drifting, but something that is down there messing with the contact itself. Doesn't help if you have kids, either 😅

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yeah I have a launch set of joycons and Pro Controller and they don't have issues. Though there are enough people out there that have a severe issue, so I'm not going to dismiss them because I don't have issues.

• Options
    Not to mention, that self repairing a Joycon is quite intimidating compared to a normal gamepad, they really stuffed a shit load of stuff in there with lots of tiny ribbons. And when you do take it apart, you can see exactly how easily stuff can fall into the controller. It's a great piece of tech the Joycon but if can't help but feel if they made it a hair wider they could have prevented a lot of these issues.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular

I've found if your house is at all dusty or if you have a pet, chances are greater that something can get into the controller/under the stick. It's usually not the stick itself drifting, but something that is down there messing with the contact itself. Doesn't help if you have kids, either 😅

What if I like cheetos?

• Options
    Trojan35 wrote: »

What if I like cheetos?

Easy, just wear gloves when you eat them

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Reusable chopsticks are the environmentally-friendly pro move

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, chopsticks are the only way I eat cheetos anymore. a) because using chopsticks is fun and b) because who wants that shit on your hands?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, chopsticks are the only way I eat cheetos anymore. a) because using chopsticks is fun and b) because who wants that shit on your hands?

If you use chopsticks, then you don't get to eat the concentrated cheese dust off your fingers like any self-respecting couch ape.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Do you pick them up individually with the sticks or spear them and eat them kebab style?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Do you pick them up individually with the sticks or spear them and eat them kebab style?

Pick them up individually.

If you use chopsticks, then you don't get to eat the concentrated cheese dust off your fingers like any self-respecting couch ape.

I don't need to, though, because I get all the concentrated cheese dust still on the cheeto :D

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I didn't know that eating cheetos or any kind of chip with chopsticks was a thing.

Admittedly, I use metal chopsticks to eat lunch at work ~95% of the time, so maybe that's why.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    http://wondermark.com/601/

Ever since 2010 apparently.

sig.gif
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I think I heard about it somewhere on these boards, and it was a like the peal of a bells that were also a thunderbolt striking a moment of clarity that was the reveal of a mystery movie.
    I'm saying it seemed like a good idea.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You could also use those mini tongs that are usually used for sugar cubes at fancy tea parties.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.