Options

[Education] - Where Silicon Valley Is What's The Matter With Kansas

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    This shit is so infuriating. Cambridge (MA) can't not be racist in how they pick kids for accelerated math classes, so the decision is to eliminate them because they're inequitable. Now you're violating special education law, not that anyone remembers that special education is supposed to account for kids ahead of grade level who are going to be bored out of their fucking mind.

... might be different in MA, since some states have programs and rules separate from federal IDEA. (My quick googling say MA doesn't, but I'm not spending more than two seconds checking up on that.) But no, that's not a part of federal law.

It will probably cause even more parents of means to go private, however, exacerbating inequality.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    This shit is so infuriating. Cambridge (MA) can't not be racist in how they pick kids for accelerated math classes, so the decision is to eliminate them because they're inequitable. Now you're violating special education law, not that anyone remembers that special education is supposed to account for kids ahead of grade level who are going to be bored out of their fucking mind.

... might be different in MA, since some states have programs and rules separate from federal IDEA. (My quick googling say MA doesn't, but I'm not spending more than two seconds checking up on that.) But no, that's not a part of federal law.

It will probably cause even more parents of means to go private, however, exacerbating inequality.

It's not IDEA, no. It's Title V of ESEA (I'm sure we're all shocked to learn that gifted kids got special programs before kids with disabilities).

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

It's not IDEA, no. It's Title V of ESEA (I'm sure we're all shocked to learn that gifted kids got special programs before kids with disabilities).

Can you point to a source on this? Because everything I'm reading says it's just a funding mechanism, not an educational right. I traced ESEA to ESSA to javits

https://usedulaw.com/352-jacob-k-javits-gifted-and-talented-students-education-act.html
    "Unlike the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the Javits Act does not protect the legal rights of gifted students. Therefore, the primary source of rights for gifted students is found in state laws, which vary widely in their approach to addressing Gifted Education. Every state has some type of existing program for serving gifted and talented students, but it is difficult to assess how many gifted students are being served in each state."

As a parent of 2E kids, I try to follow this as best I can

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Florida Education Standards: Slavery was good for slaves, actually:
    The new standards come after the state passed new legislation under Gov. Ron DeSantis that bars instruction in schools that suggests anyone is privileged or oppressed based on their race or skin color. DeSantis has used his fight against “wokeness” to boost his national profile amid a national discussion of how racism and history should be taught in schools.

The new standards require instruction for middle school students to include “how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit,” a document listing the standards and posted in the Florida Department of Education website said.

When high school students learn about events such as the 1920 Ocoee massacre, the new rules require that instruction include “acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans.” The massacre is considered the deadliest Election Day violence in US history and, according to several histories of the incident, it started when Moses Norman, a prominent Black landowner in the Ocoee, Florida, community, attempted to cast his ballot and was turned away by White poll workers.

Similar standards are noted for lessons about other massacres, including the Atlanta race massacre, the Tulsa race massacre and the Rosewood race massacre.

What the fuck does not go far enough.

I hope teachers go full-on "And here is the state-sponsored propaganda I am also required to teach you."

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Can you point to a source on this? Because everything I'm reading says it's just a funding mechanism, not an educational right. I traced ESEA to ESSA to javits

https://usedulaw.com/352-jacob-k-javits-gifted-and-talented-students-education-act.html
    "Unlike the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the Javits Act does not protect the legal rights of gifted students. Therefore, the primary source of rights for gifted students is found in state laws, which vary widely in their approach to addressing Gifted Education. Every state has some type of existing program for serving gifted and talented students, but it is difficult to assess how many gifted students are being served in each state."

As a parent of 2E kids, I try to follow this as best I can

I'd have to track down my syllabus again from grad school to find the source.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in What Fresh Hell Is This, Florida approves the PraegerU curriculum:
    PragerU, a conservative nonprofit often criticized for downplaying systemic racism and promoting anti-immigrant theories, announced today that Florida is "the first state to officially approve PragerU as an educational vendor."

A press release from group states, "This fall in schools across America, students will be watching PragerU videos in their classrooms as states officially make PragerU an approved educational resource."

Despite its name, PragerU is not an accredited academic institution, nor does it issue degrees.

The group claims it is partnering with as many states as possible to provide conservative lesson plans — touted as "PragerU Kids" — in response to requests from teachers who "are sick and tired of curriculum laced with radical political agendas."

That last line is a sick joke.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    If a racist system is producing racist results such that only the privileged kids are truly ready for accelerated math, what's the correct way for the middle schools to handle that situation? 'Cause, like, we don't want to heap privilege on privilege, but we also don't want to restrict everyone's opportunity for achievement to what the least privileged kids are able to attain. Or maybe we do?

Speaking very much from experience: that part isn't true. The problem is how we identify kids who are ready for accelerated math. Some combination of badly designed tests and implicit (or explicit) bias on the part of teachers who recommend kids is preventing access for kids who are not white or Asian (also, relatedly there are some white/Asian kids who should NOT be in accelerated but get put there anyway). We're really, really bad at doing this for immigrant kids who aren't white or Asian. Like holy shit have I seen some kids who were misplaced. Girl from Ghana in regular Algebra 1 as a high school freshman who missed I think 1.5 points all year and figured out factoring as an extra credit problem in like three minutes and gave a cogent written explanation on how to generalize the process for quadratics when a = 1. Got her to double dip accelerated classes the following year so she ended up in AP Calc and won a bunch of scholarships for coding, but yeah, whoooooooops.

Anyway the easiest policy change to reduce the gap is universal pre-K. The privileged kids get to kindergarten with an enormous head start because their parents can a) afford preschool and b) aren't working multiple jobs so they have time in the evenings to read to their kid (or whatever). And learning is like a turn based strategy game: it snowballs like a motherfucker. The more stuff you know the easier it is to learn because that's just how our brains work. So the earlier we make those interventions the better off everyone is (and yes, privileged kids will still have an advantage, but it would cut it significantly.

If you eliminate the accelerated program what's going to happen, 100% guaranteed is this:

Teachers will instinctively do the most efficient thing, which is teaching to the median student. With a wider mix that elevates the median student so you lose kids on the lower end because now you're teaching at a higher level than you were before because the median's suddenly been shot upward with this influx of really talented kids. But you're still teaching far below the level and pace that engages the high end students. So now they're bored. And bored teens act out, or if you're lucky, disengage entirely. So now you're losing more time to disruptions and you've lost some students entirely, who start hating school and that's no fun for anyone.

Meanwhile, administrations and parents will do what they always do, which is say that well, the solution to the problem is for the teacher to just do more. In this case, we should "differentiate" the lessons. Which means to give slightly alternate tasks/activities to students based on their ability level. So now, rather than having dedicated teachers with dedicated lesson plans for each level of student, each teacher is expected to prepare essentially three (or more, but typically it's low/middle/high) nested lesson plans within their lesson plan. In other words, you go from two preps to six magically. And we're still essentially creating the same system, just less efficiently and less systematically! It's so fucking dumb. So now your teachers either do more like they're expected to or they don't and get dinged on their evaluations. Either way, you increase teacher burnout during a teacher shortage.

One small thing that we should maybe do but I definitely don't want to for purely selfish reasons is that as things stand, the best and most experienced teachers get the accelerated classes. But those are often the easiest because most teachers are expert enough to know the material, but the hard part is...managing kids. Generally speaking the kids who end up in accelerated classes are the ones who know how to "do school" so they have the least management issues (though they do cheat rampantly, especially post-COVID).

EDIT: Yikes, sorry about the small wall of text, but I'm kind of passionate about this as someone who 1) teaches and 2) was bored out of his fucking mind before accelerated and AP classes became available to me in high school (outside of math, where that stuff started in 4th grade officially for me, and 3rd grade in effect because my 3rd grade teacher was a badass who did all that extra work I detailed above to better serve me and another kid who were multiple grades ahead AND had a separate program for three kids who were about a year ahead)

I feel like the answer is to not gate accelerated classes at all. Provide the placement test results and recommendations, but the opportunity shouldn't be closed off from anyone based on what will always be flawed measures.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Kids who do easily meet academic standards and thus who could be on an accelerated course load isn't a problem primarily because of 'boredom.' It's a problem because it stunts the development of critical skills for long term academic success. It's not the same kind of immediate issue that not meeting development goals is, but it's a serious ticking bomb. The more a kid is able to coast through their early education the worse it is, and older they get before being academically challenged the harder it is to course correct. College is not the best time to start developing time management skills, memorization/visualization aids, etc.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Kids who do easily meet academic standards and thus who could be on an accelerated course load isn't a problem primarily because of 'boredom.' It's a problem because it stunts the development of critical skills for long term academic success. It's not the same kind of immediate issue that not meeting development goals is, but it's a serious ticking bomb. The more a kid is able to coast through their early education the worse it is, and older they get before being academically challenged the harder it is to course correct. College is not the best time to start developing time management skills, memorization/visualization aids, etc.

High school was a huge breeze where i barely paid any attention and got As in everything. Freshman year engineering in college was a wakeup call, but it burned my biggest merit scholarship.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    PragerU, a conservative nonprofit often criticized for downplaying systemic racism and promoting anti-immigrant theories, announced today that Florida is "the first state to officially approve PragerU as an educational vendor."

A press release from group states, "This fall in schools across America, students will be watching PragerU videos in their classrooms as states officially make PragerU an approved educational resource."

Despite its name, PragerU is not an accredited academic institution, nor does it issue degrees.

The group claims it is partnering with as many states as possible to provide conservative lesson plans — touted as "PragerU Kids" — in response to requests from teachers who "are sick and tired of curriculum laced with radical political agendas."

This is fucking criminal. Figuratively. It is unfortunately not actually criminal.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Though the fuckers not being an accredited academic institution, probably does allow a lawsuit to get that shit shut the fuck down. Won't get anyone in jail, but would prevent the fascist, pig shit, conservatives from being able to indoctrinate kids to their shithead standards.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    This won’t stop their indoctrination campaign (or really just reversing the fixes in curriculum from the last few generations)

This was just low-hanging fruit to pull in existing content, trigger some libs, and siphon public funds to their donors

The interim goal for the GOP is to make public education so terrible that people just give up on it

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Florida is not so much climbing to the bottom and more letting go of the ladder and free falling.

Texas and Alabama are surely jealous at the rapid descent.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod

Yeah, I have a lot of friends who coasted through K-12 with the greatest of ease only to bomb out of university in the first year, or sometimes even the first semester. Part of that's them screwing up, sure, but part of it's also someone screwing up on their behalf in like sixth grade.

• Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular

this is just an Onion article come to life

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Yeah, I have a lot of friends who coasted through K-12 with the greatest of ease only to bomb out of university in the first year, or sometimes even the first semester. Part of that's them screwing up, sure, but part of it's also someone screwing up on their behalf in like sixth grade.

I'm still a burnout of wasted potential into my 30s even after graduating university! Well, at least I think wasted potential and not just me achieving my potential.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

I have to try? How does one .... study? Looks around at peers with index cards

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »

Don't forget the depression, nervous breakdowns and borderline suicidal ideations.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Don't forget the depression, nervous breakdowns and borderline suicidal ideations.

Check, Check, aaaand Check!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Been working on my mental health for 20+ years now and it only just now clicked how this exact thing contributed.

That's both depressing and enlightening, but may lead to some better outcomes down the road

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    "Fortunately," I want to a high school with a shitload of overachievers and lots of AP classes. So I managed to peak early.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

I wish I could just laugh and laugh at this, but seeing as my parents decided against putting me in accelerated classes because they decided they didn't want me growing up with the "gifted" mindset....

It's frustrating as an adult to know what it is your parents could have done better but also know that they're only human and can't do everything you think they should have.

But I think it's beyond telling that it took me a couple of years at college before I started to get the hang of it. I can only be thankful that my scholarships needed a mere 12 hours a semester to keep the money flowing...

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Will only say, I recognize how lucky I am in having loving parents willing to support me until I managed to push forward. Don't particulary feel comfortable talking about it.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »

Been working on my mental health for 20+ years now and it only just now clicked how this exact thing contributed.

That's both depressing and enlightening, but may lead to some better outcomes down the road

Gotta love that realization that stuff like the Standard Academic Nightmare is as standard as it is for a reason.

It's stunning how long some stuff hangs around when at the time it showed up it was almost invisible...

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited July 2023

*blink*....all of this explains so much. Fuck.

Akilae on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

...huh.

borderline?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, college for me was fine, except for the isolation and mental issues that stemmed from that. I was kind of opposite of everyone else, and it took a long time to progress past it.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I understand the logic of it, but the 'gifted kids need to be challenged' thing always felt weird to me after my own experiences. My ADHD wasn't treated after elementary school, so anything that challenged me just wasn't worth doing. I never found advanced coursework challenging, but it was always so tedious, because there would always be more homework involved; I didn't mind learning more advanced concepts or taking harder (in theory) tests, but I wasn't going to do homework, period, and that usually meant Ds at best even if I aced tests with every class giving a ton of homework and that being the bulk of every grade. Dunno if that was a TN thing or a time period thing or just how it is, even now.

I could have gone through college halfassing and doing well on tests too, but it turns out that untreated ADHD becomes a much bigger deal when you move out and get to choose whether or not you go to classes. Even then, I might have gone quite a while if the classes didn't auto fail on attendance, since I set the curve in one class that didn't actually keep up with attendance. But I flunked every other class I took on attendance and that was that.

All those bad grades and the ultimate failure in college took a real toll on my self-esteem, with the 'You're so gifted you should have perfect grades even in all the hardest classes even if you don't try' I got from everywhere. Really got drilled into my psyche that even if I were lazy to a normal degree I should have had exceptional accomplishments.

Kamar on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Senior year of high school. Aced AP English, straight up failed math. Math teacher was horrible. Not mean or anything, just incompetent and kinda barely there? I’m not judging why she was horrible, life can hit the best of us, and semi-rural Georgia schools are not well known for being environments of learning. For my part I just could not muster any fucks for it.

I got to do the graduation ceremony if I agreed to do summer school. Easy choice. Summer school was fantastic. Started later and ended earlier than regular school. Small class so the teacher could efficiently direct her efforts where needed. Spent the whole day on just math so we could focus. Teach a lesson, practice work, test, repeat, multiple times throughout the day. Teacher was aces, able to adjust her speed to the individual student. Put it all together and it was downright pleasant. Everyone was relaxed and focused. No discipline issues at all, even with kids who were “problems” during regular school. Lessons went fast but nobody was, and more importantly felt, left behind.

It was the first thing to open my mind to the idea that it wasn’t just me, it wasn’t that some kids are bad, maybe there’s something actually wrong with education. College, being a parent of a special needs child, and COVID ultimately enlightened me to the truth. The American education system is about breaking people down, making them into obedient workers, and daycare so parents can labor. I know teachers post here, and I don’t mean to denigrate them. They’re doing the lord’s work. But the system they work in is broken to it’s very foundations.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »

...huh.

borderline?

Yup! Though thanks to 10+ years of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) I actually no longer fit the criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder and am merely suffering from Major Depressive Disorder exacerbated by Type2 Diabetes (high blood sugar affects your brain, y'all!)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »

...huh.

borderline?

Yup! Though thanks to 10+ years of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) I actually no longer fit the criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder and am merely suffering from Major Depressive Disorder exacerbated by Type2 Diabetes (high blood sugar affects your brain, y'all!)

lol, that was more a

"huh, (so it's another one of those things where there's a ton of folks with the same issue)

Oh, your suicidal ideation was only borderline".

Working on the diabetes 2 thing too. fwiw

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    its only 7am and Ive already found the 'what the fuck is this statement' post of the year
    “Mental health care is health care Mr. President. That’s why it has NO place in public schools. #ParentalRights,” Moms for Liberty also posted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/moms-for-liberty-says-no-to-mental-health-care-in-schools-but-it-s-florida-law/ar-AA1eJgtX

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    First sentence. "yeah, ok, following so far."

Second sentence. "wait what"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

In MFL's reality that's completely consistent.

That organization was founded as an anti-public-health movement. As interest in the pandemic waned they branched into DeSantis' culture war in an attempt to stay relevant. Part of making that jump was deciding mental health care wasn't just public healthcare - which, again, is intrinsically bad to MFL - but also leftist coddling and is therefore woke CRT communism that reprograms kids into being trans or whatever this week's specific wharrgarbl is.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

That organization was founded as an anti-public-health movement. As interest in the pandemic waned they branched into DeSantis' culture war in an attempt to stay relevant. Part of making that jump was deciding mental health care wasn't just public healthcare - which, again, is intrinsically bad to MFL - but also leftist coddling and is therefore woke CRT communism that reprograms kids into being trans or whatever this week's specific wharrgarbl is.

its always still incredible to me that people could be that ghoulish (anti-public health, anti-mental health care), especially towards kids

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

its always still incredible to me that people could be that ghoulish (anti-public health, anti-mental health care), especially towards kids

It is a parent's right to let their children be a miserable pile of untreated issues, apparently.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

It is a parent's right to let their children be a miserable pile of untreated issues, apparently.

Sure is interesting how often the whole "children are my personal chattel, not people" mindset results in that kind of outcome...

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Especially when the first (and only) defence these fuckers have to school shootings is "It's not guns, it's mental health!".

Not only are they wanting to do nothing, they actively want to prohibit anyone else doing anything.

Fucking ghouls.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This seems very in line with their trans genocide agenda, given how mental health care is so tied into this

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Question that’s been bouncing around my head for those of you that are K-12 teachers: how does a student’s right to self defense work in that setting?

I read about zero tolerance policies in the news but I also presume (wrongly?) that everyone, including minors, has some minimum right self defense. I assume this is discussed in detail at the K-12 teacher level. Care to enlighten me?