As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Alligator snapping turtles look really cool so I have to like them.

Alligators

Snapping turtles

Two things I would like VERY VERY MUCH not to be mashed together into one extremely large, extremely angry vertebrate capable of taking my whole damned hand off if it wanted to.

I present to you, the Alligator Snapping Turtle:

Per https://www.pestwiki.com/common-snapping-turtle-vs-alligator-snapping-turtle/:
    Alligator Snapping Turtles display the same omnivorous behavior as the Common Snapping Turtle. Thanks to their size and fearsome bite, Alligator Snapping Turtles have been known to consume other turtles, and also mammals such as muskrats, squirrels and even raccoons. For the Alligator Snapping Turtle, there isn’t much that isn’t on the menu. And while their favorite food might be fish, Alligator Snapping Turtles will eat almost anything they can find.

Fun videos:

Aw yeah, Coyote Peterson. Dude underestimated the snappers when he was in the cage and learned very quickly why that's a bad idea

I take karmic satisfaction from this, because it was driving me out of my mind how close he had his hands to the turtle's faces. That's not being instructive, that's being a dumbass showoff with little respect for the critters you're handling.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Alligator snapping turtles look really cool so I have to like them.

Alligators

Snapping turtles

Two things I would like VERY VERY MUCH not to be mashed together into one extremely large, extremely angry vertebrate capable of taking my whole damned hand off if it wanted to.

I present to you, the Alligator Snapping Turtle:

Per https://www.pestwiki.com/common-snapping-turtle-vs-alligator-snapping-turtle/:
    Alligator Snapping Turtles display the same omnivorous behavior as the Common Snapping Turtle. Thanks to their size and fearsome bite, Alligator Snapping Turtles have been known to consume other turtles, and also mammals such as muskrats, squirrels and even raccoons. For the Alligator Snapping Turtle, there isn’t much that isn’t on the menu. And while their favorite food might be fish, Alligator Snapping Turtles will eat almost anything they can find.

Fun videos:

Aw yeah, Coyote Peterson. Dude underestimated the snappers when he was in the cage and learned very quickly why that's a bad idea

I take karmic satisfaction from this, because it was driving me out of my mind how close he had his hands to the turtle's faces. That's not being instructive, that's being a dumbass showoff with little respect for the critters you're handling.

He has another video where he literally lets a snapper bite his arm so he can feel its bite strength for himself. Granted he was wearing a splint of sorts but it didn't exactly help much because that sucker chomped down hard

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I know it's not terribly nice to the animals but I like to see just how dangerous those creatures can be.

It's all well and good to be told kicking a wasps nest is a bad idea but when you get stung to shit it's a permanent lesson.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kicking a wasp nest may be a bad idea, but it's for a good cause. Those things are just total assholes. They're fucking evil with a butt needle full of hate and should die.

• Options
    Kicking a wasp nest may be a bad idea, but it's for a good cause. Those things are just total assholes. They're fucking evil with a butt needle full of hate and should die.

hah yeah I agree with you. Bad example.

Better example is my kids teasing the cat until it gets pissed off. No amount of me saying "He's gonna scratch you" will work as well as actually getting a good swipe.

Maybe that's an example of kids being stupid but I also think that regular people seeing that wild animals will fuck you up will make regular people avoid screwing with wild animals :)

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Don't kick wasp nests. Use a flamethrower. Fuck wasps.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Wear thick, layered clothing, ideally snakebite clothing, have a sprinkler handy in case you fuck up, and then use a flamethrower.

Also on yellowjackets. They are jerks.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    He has another video where he literally lets a snapper bite his arm so he can feel its bite strength for himself. Granted he was wearing a splint of sorts but it didn't exactly help much because that sucker chomped down hard

...that's just being a dumbass.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

There was one in my car door yesterday. It looked like it got fried so I knocked it out and went to work.

Once I got in after work a wasp in its death throes attempted to attack me.
    It couldn't move though so I booted it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    A friend of mine is from Mauritius, and when I visited the island with him in December I quickly noticed that there were hardly any wasps to be seen anywhere. "That's because we eat them," he said when I asked about it. Apparently when they find a wasp nest, they knock out the wasps with smoke, then take out the larvae, fry them with some garlic and oil, and eat them. Kids in particular love to look for wasp nests for this purpose.

As a lifelong wasp-hater I immediately added Mauritius to my shortlist of retirement destinations. And if the opportunity arises, I will eat their larvae as payback for the terror they have inflicted on me over the years.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is from Mauritius, and when I visited the island with him in December I quickly noticed that there were hardly any wasps to be seen anywhere. "That's because we eat them," he said when I asked about it. Apparently when they find a wasp nest, they knock out the wasps with smoke, then take out the larvae, fry them with some garlic and oil, and eat them. Kids in particular love to look for wasp nests for this purpose.

As a lifelong wasp-hater I immediately added Mauritius to my shortlist of retirement destinations. And if the opportunity arises, I will eat their larvae as payback for the terror they have inflicted on me over the years.

So, your retirement plan is to eat babies?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

Consider if you will a life long fear. One borne of an arguably reasonable reaction yet spun into a thirst for vengance. Bliss 101 is about to find out acting on those feeling will cross you over to

The outer limits

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Never had a problem with wasps, but Im surrounded by bakeries that are bee magnets, you go buy bread and you have to wait while theres a couple dozens of bees flying all around you.

Sometimes you take bees home with the pastries.

Gone right, no one seems to get stung

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Consider if you will a life long fear. One borne of an arguably reasonable reaction yet spun into a thirst for vengance. Bliss 101 is about to find out acting on those feeling will cross you over to

The outer limits

I think Bliss 101 is required to shout "From Hell's heart I stab at thee" when destroying a wasp nest.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

The outer limits

I think Bliss 101 is required to shout "From Hell's heart I stab at thee" when destroying a wasp nest.

Its just one of those really fun things to say. Another good one is "Once again you see there is nothing you can possess that I cannot take away." Great one for parenting.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Could have been worse, he was gonna stick his bare arm in but decided against it after he used a turkey leg in a test and the turtle destroyed it.

He's also the person who personally sought out the top ten most painful stings to feel them, including the tarantula hawk.

Granted he's not the most crazy Steve Irwin challenger, that one goes to the guy who decided to catch a beaver with his bare hands half naked

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Could have been worse, he was gonna stick his bare arm in but decided against it after he used a turkey leg in a test and the turtle destroyed it.

He's also the person who personally sought out the top ten most painful stings to feel them, including the tarantula hawk.

Granted he's not the most crazy Steve Irwin challenger, that one goes to the guy who decided to catch a beaver with his bare hands half naked

I would have guessed the most crazy challenger was the guy who tried to live with bears. To his credit though, he was successful at it a lot longer than you'd think.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I would have guessed the most crazy challenger was the guy who tried to live with bears. To his credit though, he was successful at it a lot longer than you'd think.

You cant just drop it like that in passing, what about the bear-dude? and for how long was he a bear-person?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

You cant just drop it like that in passing, what about the bear-dude? and for how long was he a bear-person?

For the rest of his life.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Lol I was thinking of making that exact joke too!

• Options

Lol I was thinking of making that exact joke too!

Thankfully for me, my lack of character and dark grey morality allowed me to make the joke first :)

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

This is good. This is very good.

You can infer a lot about his fate from the sentence 'Werner Herzog made a documentary about him'.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Pretty sure they ended up having to shoot the bears, didn't they?

So not only was the deluded asshole not content with fucking with wildlife until it killed him and his girlfriend, he ended up getting the wildlife killed as well.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Wear thick, layered clothing, ideally snakebite clothing, have a sprinkler handy in case you fuck up, and then use a flamethrower.

Also on yellowjackets. They are jerks.

Yellow jackets are just ground-nesting wasps, aren't they? I used to think they burrowed like ants, but it turns out they make the same kind of hanging nest as paper wasps do. They suspend them from roots, underground, instead of trees, hollowing out the necessary space as they go. Nature is weird.

I have read that paper wasps and yellow jackets will kill each other on sight, and so tend to act as a natural check on each other. And the wasps around here are pretty chill (for wasps) until the end of summer, when they start to get desperate for food. I still wouldn't shed a single tear if they all died, though.

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage in waiting until after dark to attack a nest, or do they just not give a fuck?

Calica on
  • Options
    If the night is cold, that might help. Wasps can generate body heat via their wing muscles, but they should be sluggish on a cold night until they warm up.

Alternatively, warm them up with fire before attacking, to give them a fighting chance.
    I mean set them on fucking fire in a surprise attack. Do not give them a fighting chance.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I watched some nature program recently that suggested there are thousands of species of wasp. I think they might have even said that ants are technically wasps.

• Options
    Ants are related to wasps and bees but they are not Wasps

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Yellow jackets are just ground-nesting wasps, aren't they? I used to think they burrowed like ants, but it turns out they make the same kind of hanging nest as paper wasps do. They suspend them from roots, underground, instead of trees, hollowing out the necessary space as they go. Nature is weird.

Some yellow jackets do produce above ground nests.

Anyway. Yall had some bad experiences with wasps. I guess i just have gotten lucky in that the wasps i grew up around were Mud Daubers which are... entirely not aggressive in the slightest. Walk within feet of their nest and they don't care. They also don't feed on fruit so they won't bother your picnics

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    In 1776 the idea of a spelling standard wasn't new, but people still spelled words like they wanted to (and there was a general consensus that spelling should imitate the spoken word, not the other way around). The dictionary that was to become the definitive version was barely 25 years old. It's not until 75 years later that spelling started to solidify into a standardized orthography

In his personal corrspondence, I believe Benjamin Franklin spelled 'wife' as 'yf.' Standardized spelling being a fairly modern invention is just one of those weird things most people don't realize

• Options
    Pretty sure modern ants are supposed to be descended from an ancient wasp variant, which is why ants share a similar body layout, have flight-capable queens and males, have an internal stinger, and are social. I think more primitive ant variants tend to be larger and have colonies with smaller populations, while also tending to be more aggressive than other ant species.

The difference is that wasps decided to class up by taking the "more anger" attribute, whereas ants went with the "working together while minding our own business" archetype. Oh, and I guess ants are also hugely reliant on smell to the point of many varieties of them being blind, whereas wasps are HUGELY oriented towards tracking things visually (which is why the evil little fuckers will track you with their head when you're too close, because they're definitely eying you to judge whether you're a danger or not).

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Pretty sure modern ants are supposed to be descended from an ancient wasp variant, which is why ants share a similar body layout, have flight-capable queens and males, have an internal stinger, and are social. I think more primitive ant variants tend to be larger and have colonies with smaller populations, while also tending to be more aggressive than other ant species.

The difference is that wasps decided to class up by taking the "more anger" attribute, whereas ants went with the "working together while minding our own business" archetype. Oh, and I guess ants are also hugely reliant on smell to the point of many varieties of them being blind, whereas wasps are HUGELY oriented towards tracking things visually (which is why the evil little fuckers will track you with their head when you're too close, because they're definitely eying you to judge whether you're a danger or not).

Ants are related to bees and muddauber wasps in particular, and split off roughly 140 million years ago. And there are certainly ant-types which have no shortage of anger. Of course australia gets the short end of the stick with Bulldog ants, a family of ants that are not only extremely aggressive but also have a nasty venom (painful, but also quite likely to cause an allergic reaction in humans).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

Ants are related to bees and muddauber wasps in particular, and split off roughly 140 million years ago. And there are certainly ant-types which have no shortage of anger. Of course australia gets the short end of the stick with Bulldog ants, a family of ants that are not only extremely aggressive but also have a nasty venom (painful, but also quite likely to cause an allergic reaction in humans).

Also, science has found the remains of a transition species, displaying traits of both wasps (ancestral) and ants. And here it is:
    AsVTU7TCAAEV1vh.jpg:large
    Sphecomyrma freyi, encased in amber for 90 million years and discovered in 1966.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Do not tell Hammond about that one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Wasps. WASPS Waaaaaaaaaaaaasps.

My my brother and sister we spent the first ten years of our life living in a decaying country home on a huge spread of land with a dilapidated barn and a range of these fruit trees (I can't remember what the fruits were they were tiny red and blue and juicy as hell)

The thing though is that the entire spread of land was INFESTED with these asshole wasps who would make underground nests.

Step on a nest? Wasp tornado

Mow the wrong area? Wasp tornado

Minding your own business? Wasp tornado

Fuck wasps. Me and my siblings were literally terrified of the idea of mowing the lawn so bad that we had to draw straws and even then we pleaded begged and bargained out of sheer terror at this assholes.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    A few years ago I had wasps build a nest under my gas cap door. I didn't notice until I was at the gas station, where I basically run on muscle memory, so I wasn't looking when I reached in and grabbed the gas cap, crushing the nest.

As I lay on the ground writhing in pain, a helpful woman at the next pump said, "Aw hell naw, he got stung ALL THE FUCK UP."

Hevach on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

It reminds me of when we first moved to Missouri. The kids were looking intently at something on the sidewalk, occasionally giggling and you could tell they were playing with something. I came over to see what it was. It was the most beautiful ant I'd ever seen, it was fuzzy and red. Just one of them too which was a little odd but it happens. I went in to look up what it actually was and turns out it's a type of wingless ground wasp that's nicknamed Cow Killer because of how painful their stings are. Fun times.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Velvet ants. There were pretty ones in South Africa, pink and black with white spots. Apparently they sting like a bastard but they weren't that aggressive.

• Options

It reminds me of when we first moved to Missouri. The kids were looking intently at something on the sidewalk, occasionally giggling and you could tell they were playing with something. I came over to see what it was. It was the most beautiful ant I'd ever seen, it was fuzzy and red. Just one of them too which was a little odd but it happens. I went in to look up what it actually was and turns out it's a type of wingless ground wasp that's nicknamed Cow Killer because of how painful their stings are. Fun times.

methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F86f671a0-0c1c-11e7-b7a6-9aaa955d37de.jpg?crop=2250%2C1266%2C0%2C117&resize=685

As a general rule, this color pattern means "don't fuck with me, because I will fuck you up."

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Got to about 9:50 if you want to see the sting itself.

https://youtu.be/EF-oSVCCqzU

While stupid, Peterson is doing it with the goal of promoting education and interest in nature.

Nobeard on
This discussion has been closed.