Options

May is over and so are [movies]

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    mxmarks wrote: »

Bit of a bummer the Mummy tanked this, as "The Avengers, but universal monsters" would have been something I'd have been interested in watching.

Though having to deal with Depp would have tanked it for me anyways, I guess.

I love that account has two tweets.

Has any mega billion dollar company ever given up on a thing so fast before?

New Coke?

They're bringing New Coke back!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Remember when they were going to shoehorn Dracula Untold into the Dark Universe, but then it did poorly and they were like "Oh wait, nevermind, forget we said anything."

They failed to launch their cinematic universe TWICE.

That movie is weird because it's a pile of absolute dogshit and then it ends with "and now we'll do a modern day one and the villain is Charles Dance" and I'm like wait I'll watch that

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Getting Danny Elfman to do the Dark Universe “theme” reminded me of all the bands I knew in high school who formed and the first thing they did before writing songs was go take badass photos.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Getting Danny Elfman to do the Dark Universe “theme” reminded me of all the bands I knew in high school who formed and the first thing they did before writing songs was go take badass photos.

Everyone looks in a different direction and then the singer looks right at the camera

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »

Everyone looks in a different direction and then the singer looks right at the camera

otqxmavgwu3l.jpg

• Options
    oh shit

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, the Beastie Boys got weird.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Avian Nu Metal is making a comeback.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

otqxmavgwu3l.jpg

oh you're a fan of punk music, well then name this album cover

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yooooo my girl Mothra looking fuckin' DOPE

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I loved dracula untold, it was bad but apparently if you have a man punch an army with a giant fist made of bats I will love your movie

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Episode 14 of doom patrol was an orgasmic experience.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    In happy news, Shudder renewed Joe Bob Brigg's Last Drive In for another season. Now I have TWO appointment trash movie options on Friday nights.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i would pit any of my double features against joe bob's and mine would be cooler

(because i don't have to worry about streaming rights)

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The bar where I'm hosting trivia just added a new beer from my favorite local brewery to their tap list. The name of the beer? Drop Bear.

That made tonight's choice pretty easy. Unlike tonight's surprisingly difficult movie trivia question, which I'll post later when I have a chance.

• Options
    i would pit any of my double features against joe bob's and mine would be cooler

I really enjoy yours, but Joe Bob does have Felissa Rose as his on-call mangled weiner expert and that's hard to compete with.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Is terminator 2 the most besequeled film of all time

That'd probably be Godzilla.

You have the 1954 movie, and the 14 showa era films that were sequels to it (with the possible exception of All Monsters Attack, which may take place in a world where Godzilla is fictional)

Then Return of Godzilla in 1984 is a direct sequel to the 1954 film, ignoring all the other Showa era films. The rest of the films in the Heisei era are sequels to 1984.

Then in the millenium era, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Megaguirus, Godzilla GMK and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla are all independantly direct sequels to Godzilla 1954 and ignore all other titles (Godzilla:Tokyo SOS is a direct sequel to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.. also the 1961 Mothra movie, because weeeeeee!)

So that's like 25 films in six different continuities that are all tied back to to the original 1954 film.

This was a trivia question the other night that my friend got at a bar. You have the correct answer according to that particular trivia...list? Is that a thing?

Host, I guess.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

I really enjoy yours, but Joe Bob does have Felissa Rose as his on-call mangled weiner expert and that's hard to compete with.

that's uh

probably not a selling point i'd use what with the p transphobic connotations

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    i too have now seen Support the Girls

it's great!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So uh

When I saw JW3 they played the trailer for Joker in front of it.

And it didn't look terrible? Like, it looked like a huge bummer of a movie i'll not want to get anywhere near, but it actually looked like a movie.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Tarantino when asked by audience who just watched his new film about why he didn't give Margot a lot of speaking lines in his new film: "I reject your hypothesis"

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, Tarantino is a weirdo.

godmode on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tarantino when asked by audience who just watched his new film about why he didn't give Margot a lot of speaking lines in his new film: "I reject your hypothesis"

what the fuck does that even mean, Quentin

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    It means "You're wrong, next question"

It's a hostile question, but that's hardly the best response.

The evolution of Brad Pitt's expression over the course of that video is...

well, it's somethin'.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    tarantino is and has been a colossal peice of shit, for decades

he reminds people of this at every possible opportunity

noone ever seems to remember

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    he is fucking trash and he will receive infinite chances, forever

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »

well, it's somethin'.

no like, that's not what a hypothesis is at all! he's just using a big word to sound smart and I hate it.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    "Ma'am, can you please elaborate a bit on the manner in which your boss--the one sitting right next to you--is a dickbag?"

I mean, yeah, he is, but sheeeesh, way to put Margot on the spot about it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Please stop seeing Quintin Tarantino movies

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I haven't seen one since Pulp Fiction , yet they keep being made, I'm doing my part! what am I doing wrong!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

I haven't seen one since Pulp Fiction , yet they keep being made, I'm doing my part! what am I doing wrong!

You need to retroactively not see any of his movies

Get a Tarantino-focused lobotomy

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

You need to retroactively not see any of his movies

Get a Tarantino-focused lobotomy

Why do I have the feeling this means chopping off my feet?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    astrobstrd wrote: »

that's uh

probably not a selling point i'd use what with the p transphobic connotations

I sort of get that it plays in a weird area, but she is a thoroughly pleasant person brought in to discuss stuff like Wolf Cop and Castle Freak, not disparage trans or intergender folks. Joe Bob's Sleepaway Camp ep involved a lot of cringeworthy rants from him, but it felt like more out of touch uncle than problematic asshole.

The gender politics of Sleepaway Camp are super weird and it feels a lot like a movie made by someone working some stuff out who also liked camp activities. Angela is our POV character, the film is much more sympathetic to the father and his secret boyfriend than the aunt, and all of Angela's victims (except her final one) are all actively awful to her. Media has an awful tradition of trans killers, but Angela doesn't have any agency in her gender identity and the film spends most of its run time building sympathy for her. I sometimes wonder what this weird little slasher could have been like with someone halfway competent at the helm, but it also probably wouldn't be nearly as fascinating.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The biggest issue I had with the Joker trailer is I don't want to watch an origin story movie about him. No matter how well done.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Well the implied "hypothesis" of that question is that Tarantino intentionally gave Robbie hardly any dialogue because "fuck women", so I can't really fault him for shutting that down.

Haven't seen the movie obv, so I have no real context for it

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

well, it's somethin'.

no like, that's not what a hypothesis is at all! he's just using a big word to sound smart and I hate it.

I mean

add it to the pile, I guess.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Well the implied "hypothesis" of that question is that Tarantino intentionally gave Robbie hardly any dialogue because "fuck women", so I can't really fault him for shutting that down.

Haven't seen the movie obv, so I have no real context for it

You have the context of Tarantino's entire career and public life

Even if he felt that was an unfair characterization of the movie he should have shown the slightest hint of grace, or acknowledged why a woman might be deeply skeptical of his movies

Even something as simple as, "I think it was the right artistic choice and I hope the overall response to the movie will bear that out"

• Options
    I guess it’s nice to see some positive takes, although the inclusivity thing feels at least somewhat tarnished by the brown face extras thing....

This discussion has been closed.