As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I agree the vertical bit is much easier if you take it slow. You build up a lot of time when traversing the X shaped walls so you can just let the bullet bills spawn one at a time.

No one tried my level yet? Got two ransoms giving up at the first Thwomp section and I know it's not that hard?

I'll make sure I check it out after work tonight.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I agree the vertical bit is much easier if you take it slow. You build up a lot of time when traversing the X shaped walls so you can just let the bullet bills spawn one at a time.

No one tried my level yet? Got two ransoms giving up at the first Thwomp section and I know it's not that hard?

I'll play it tonight

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Oof no one has been able to finish it yet. I didn’t think it was all that hard but I know it’s not easy either. My kids both could pass the first screen 😕

Don't worry, I'll beat it...or @agoaj will

TelMarine on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

No one tried my level yet? Got two randoms giving up at the first Thwomp section and I know it's not that hard?

I spent most of the night finishing my level. I have to pick and choose either build days or play days. I’ll make sure to tackle some levels tonight.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I have the perfect pun for this week's challenge level, I just can't actually work up the mental energy to build the damn thing.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    For this threads consideration, Dan Ryckert and Ben Pack are doing a Mario Maker themed feature now called Get On My Level. I've just started it up and its a fun watch so far.

Edit: Bullet Shells from this is cool:
    4PK-03L-C7G

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Also I was hoping to be able to wish everyone a happy Wiggler Wednesday with a wiggler themed level but I doubt it will be done in time. Still working out what to do in the sub area.

• Options
    I finished your level @Alphagaia and also left a comment. Enjoy.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Watch a man slowly descend into madness and agony while his chat spams the narration from Getting Over It.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keRabTu5ygs

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Speaking of Getting Over It, here's Poo Bear dealing with that. This level is far more devious than it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjOEnYxw_p8

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Oof no one has been able to finish it yet. I didn’t think it was all that hard but I know it’s not easy either. My kids both could pass the first screen 😕

Don't worry, I'll beat it...or @agoaj will

The first half is simple enough. The 2nd screen is definitely tougher and the hitbox of the clown ship is really odd. I frequently would feel like I cleared but it'd get squished.

I'll play it tonight

It's not hard. Cool idea!

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    Speaking of Getting Over It, here's Poo Bear dealing with that. This level is far more devious than it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjOEnYxw_p8

I dunno, it looks pretty horribly devious to me :P

• Options
    The irritating bullshit people do with their YouTube thumbnails makes me want to not ever click on them.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    My entry doubles as an "Iron Man" challenge, and also my first level in SMM2. I don't get much time to play or make, so this was thrown together in under an hour and with relatively little experience with the tools. Fortunately I played a bit of Mario Maker years back so I could remember a few bits from then. With my excuses out of the way, here's my entry:

Name: MMC3 -Walls are made for jumping
    Code: 3X1-2RG-G3G

I'm curious if it's one of those levels that's unfair because it's built with my own knowledge of what comes next, especially with it being a fast horizontal scrolling level. I tried to cater for that with guiding coins but we'll see! I dunno if the butt stomp to hit the Switch is expecting a little too much given the scroll speed.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    My entry doubles as an "Iron Man" challenge, and also my first level in SMM2. I don't get much time to play or make, so this was thrown together in under an hour and with relatively little experience with the tools. Fortunately I played a bit of Mario Maker years back so I could remember a few bits from then. With my excuses out of the way, here's my entry:

I'm curious if it's one of those levels that's unfair because it's built with my own knowledge of what comes next, especially with it being a fast horizontal scrolling level. I tried to cater for that with guiding coins but we'll see! I dunno if the butt stomp to hit the Switch is expecting a little too much given the scroll speed.
    o god

my thumbs

so evil

But... I loved it, somehow. So many deaths, but it felt very possible and like it was always my fault. I didn't think any part was unfair. Maybe the very last obstacle? If you're slightly behind and they fall, that's kind of gross.

Also... I'm not sure this one technically qualifies? It had autoscroll, but I didn't notice any custom autoscroll (up / down / diagonal).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #3!

Challenge details: Levels must have a significant portion of the level with the custom autoscroll featured. Doesn't have to be 100% of the level.

Level Style: Any
    Level Theme: Any
    Nighttime option: Any
    Duration: July 28-> Aug 4
    Submission Cutoff: Aug 4
    Winner Announced: Aug 5

Here’s my entry.

quovadis13
    Boom Boom’s Airship
    1HK-C8V-LGF

Airships are meant to be autoscroll. Use the doors to unlock the way forward while attacking the ship from below! This is a challenging level but the cape should help out a bit I think.

I am not sure how often I will enter a course for these challenges since I only have a limited amount of time, but I will try to do it as frequently as I can. If they were every other week, that might make it more doable.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Challenge Bash #3 @Zombie Hero
    Folks the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelts sign, we will be heading into an area of turbulent spinies. For your safety we advise not leaving the aircraft.

K3M-M9L-SJG Turbulence

It's short and dumb so I made the optional difficulty mandatory.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

o god

my thumbs

so evil

But... I loved it, somehow. So many deaths, but it felt very possible and like it was always my fault. I didn't think any part was unfair. Maybe the very last obstacle? If you're slightly behind and they fall, that's kind of gross.

Also... I'm not sure this one technically qualifies? It had autoscroll, but I didn't notice any custom autoscroll (up / down / diagonal).

This will teach me to read the instructions, I didn't read custom, just scroll. Doh!

But yay! Thanks for finishing it :biggrin:

I'll have a look at the last obstacle if I get chance, tbh they were thrown in a little at the last minute and I found it harder to play test an auto scroll level from half way through, I struggled to see where people might be, so just kind of hoped it worked!

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    The Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #3!

Challenge details: Levels must have a significant portion of the level with the custom autoscroll featured. Doesn't have to be 100% of the level.

Level Style: Any
    Level Theme: Any
    Nighttime option: Any
    Duration: July 28-> Aug 4
    Submission Cutoff: Aug 4
    Winner Announced: Aug 5

I am not sure how often I will enter a course for these challenges since I only have a limited amount of time, but I will try to do it as frequently as I can. If they were every other week, that might make it more doable.

This is why I loved the iron man challenges last time, an hour to make and test a level was challenging but a doable amount of time for me to commit.

I need to get all the levels people have posted played tonight.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Time for another patend Zombie Penguin speedrun level!

Bounding Bully Bounce: TFS-N9G-YDG

Pretty sure this is my toughest course yet. Designed to be spedrun, so i'm looking foward to seeing what you all pull off (Esp @Kai_San & @TelMarine)

Afraid i'm not entering the contest this week though - another time. I cant stand Autoscrollers, so making one sounds like hell =D

@Kai_San Re: Your level - most of what is giving me trouble iwth it is the hitbox on the clowncar. It's surprisingly easy (at least for me) to die suddenly and unexpectedly - combine that with how long the second segment is, and it can get surprisingly frustrating. There's no one segment that does it, just the aggregate nature of it. I'm yet to finish it and i'll have to to take another crack

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

Pretty sure this is my toughest course yet. Designed to be spedrun, so i'm looking foward to seeing what you all pull off (Esp @Kai_San & @TelMarine)

Afraid i'm not entering the contest this week though - another time. I cant stand Autoscrollers, so making one sounds like hell =D

@Kai_San Re: Your level - most of what is giving me trouble iwth it is the hitbox on the clowncar. It's surprisingly easy (at least for me) to die suddenly and unexpectedly - combine that with how long the second segment is, and it can get surprisingly frustrating. There's no one segment that does it, just the aggregate nature of it. I'm yet to finish it and i'll have to to take another crack

I'll check it out tonight

• Options
    Where did we land on putting the cutoff for level submissions on saturday night instead of friday night, and then having judging on sunday?

Steam
  • Options

I'll check it out tonight

@The Zombie Penguin i got through it and managed a decent time, not the fastest. My main issue with it is it's a bit rigid...It feels forced into a very specific way to run the level. Like, there are a few parts that try and force you to be small or big mario, but if you get passed as one or the other, then it's a lot more difficult. For example, the last screen where you run across ice blocks before making a jump onto 3 bully's before the last butt slam through to the flag pole, that jump to get to the first bully is either impossible or INCREDIBLY strict as big mario. You keep hitting your head on the ceiling. A lot of the jumps are very strict, like the slide jump after the 2nd checkpoint, the slide after the 1st checkpoint (which seems impossible to hit with small mario + sliding). I would've liked to see a little bit more leeway on jumps, so you are not having to get near perfect jumps just to continue. The part underground with 1 big bully and 2 small bullies before the warp out to the main area, is so variable due to loading pattern. I feel like it would've been better to remove both the small bullies and put the big one a little farther away, so you can build up momentum and jump over it, much like the very first one in the beginning of the level. As it is, the flow is very hard to maintain because there's barely any space.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Made a new level, special thanks to @The Sauce for basically inspiring me with their Dark Souls themed boss battles.

The Blue Plumber Cometh
    1CP-GDQ-M6C

A multi-stage boss battle. It doesn't have checkpoints, so it's pretty tough. Am curious as to how fast folks can beat my monstrosity.

Gundi on
  • Options
    There are only a few maps submitted this week, so let's have the deadline be at midnight Pacific Time tomorrow night, and i will judge on Sunday Morning

Steam
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    @The Zombie Penguin i got through it and managed a decent time, not the fastest. My main issue with it is it's a bit rigid...It feels forced into a very specific way to run the level. Like, there are a few parts that try and force you to be small or big mario, but if you get passed as one or the other, then it's a lot more difficult. For example, the last screen where you run across ice blocks before making a jump onto 3 bully's before the last butt slam through to the flag pole, that jump to get to the first bully is either impossible or INCREDIBLY strict as big mario. You keep hitting your head on the ceiling. A lot of the jumps are very strict, like the slide jump after the 2nd checkpoint, the slide after the 1st checkpoint (which seems impossible to hit with small mario + sliding). I would've liked to see a little bit more leeway on jumps, so you are not having to get near perfect jumps just to continue. The part underground with 1 big bully and 2 small bullies before the warp out to the main area, is so variable due to loading pattern. I feel like it would've been better to remove both the small bullies and put the big one a little farther away, so you can build up momentum and jump over it, much like the very first one in the beginning of the level. As it is, the flow is very hard to maintain because there's barely any space.

This is amazing feedback, Thank you very much! Explains a lot about why it's kicking people's arses so hard (It has a 1.something% clear rate right now - 5 out of nearly 300 attempts . Whoops)

i'm definitely aiming to make my next level gentler - i think i'll have strict jumps in it, but as optional stuff for speed running/accessing alternate routes through the level, rather than this Perfect Or Die approach. Question - can you screenshot the First slid you're talking about? All the slides i've tested are doable as Small Mario, so i'm wondering if i missed something

Second question - did you use L spins in the course of playing it? The level is very much intended that you'll mix in using L-spins to help in the air, which is part of the reason that the very first jump is so strict - to try and coach people into using L spins as part of moving through it (It is doable without, but a lot easier to nail if you just spin at the apex of your jump)

Thanks again for this feedback!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Oh I see the time changed so I made it. Well here is my contribution for this week.
    SMMC#3
    Once More With Speeding
    9PQ-K6B-VXF
    SMB style. Basically took the autoscroll thing in a different direction. I hope it's reasonable. At least you will know whats coming after the easy part.

Also I apologize for On Rails. It seems the level is making a lot of people very angry. I never really saw those issues as bad when making, but of course it's my level. I will try to make a version that isn't as unfair, but I dunno maybe it just was a bad idea.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Oh I see the time changed so I made it. Well here is my contribution for this week.
    SMMC#3
    Once More With Speeding
    9PQ-K6B-VXF
    SMB style. Basically took the autoscroll thing in a different direction. I hope it's reasonable. At least you will know whats coming after the easy part.

Also I apologize for On Rails. It seems the level is making a lot of people very angry. I never really saw those issues as bad when making, but of course it's my level. I will try to make a version that isn't as unfair, but I dunno maybe it just was a bad idea.

For the record: I like On Rails over all. I think its' a very cool, and overall very fun concept. The issues are purely down to how the game handles hitboxes, and i dont think that's your fault at all - If i came across as angry, i apologize! It's actually a mechanical idea i want to steal at some point, because i think you could do some interesting concepts with it. (For instance, no kart, more hortizonal space to move, and mario on foot - you could create some interesting mechanics, i think!)

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    The most important thing in a level? Know when to throw a bone to the player. Make some parts easy on purpose so they make progress and have fun.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Ever since its establishment, all manner of curses have managed to seep into the Undead Settlement. The worst of them were sealed away inside a spirit tree, but eventually the curses took their toll.

DS3 - Undead Settlement
    9WT-1N1-9WF

Boss: Curse-rotted Greatwood
    Horrid curses have corrupted the great spirit tree. Destroy its pus globules to make quick work of it. But beware... something truly terrible has grown within, waiting to claw its way out...

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited August 2019

This is amazing feedback, Thank you very much! Explains a lot about why it's kicking people's arses so hard (It has a 1.something% clear rate right now - 5 out of nearly 300 attempts . Whoops)

i'm definitely aiming to make my next level gentler - i think i'll have strict jumps in it, but as optional stuff for speed running/accessing alternate routes through the level, rather than this Perfect Or Die approach. Question - can you screenshot the First slid you're talking about? All the slides i've tested are doable as Small Mario, so i'm wondering if i missed something

Second question - did you use L spins in the course of playing it? The level is very much intended that you'll mix in using L-spins to help in the air, which is part of the reason that the very first jump is so strict - to try and coach people into using L spins as part of moving through it (It is doable without, but a lot easier to nail if you just spin at the apex of your jump)

The slope right after the first checkpoint where you slide onto some ice blocks and there's a gap (I'll see if I can provide an image or video later). I could always make it as big mario, but as small mario, it seemed the only way to make it across that gap was to be running from the very top of the slope.

Yeah, I did use spins here and there. That first jump, as you've mentioned, practically requires it.

TelMarine on
  • Options

The slope right after the first checkpoint where you slide onto some ice blocks and there's a gap (I'll see if I can provide an image or video later). I could always make it as big mario, but as small mario, it seemed the only way to make it across that gap was to be running from the very top of the slope.

Yeah, I did use spins here and there. That first jump, as you've mentioned, practically requires it.

That's odd - you can literally just slide down your butt as little mario and land on the iceblocks no issue. At least, you can in the version i've got in front of me - your natural movement is enough to let you get there. I'm a bit baffled that it's not working on your end - the only difference big mario makes to that slope is he'll shatter some of the icicles going down, rather than simply landing under them safely.

For 100% clarity - I'm talking about the cave-subsection, and the first set of slopes that goes Shallow Slope -> Steep Slope, hits an iceblock, and then there's a 3 block gap into a set of iceblocks, with the roof covered by falling icicles (From which you then run and use a bully to bounce yourself up past some red spikes). I assume that's the section you mean too?

@Alphagaia - Agreed, it's something i think i missed the mark on in this level. I'm still proud of it, but it's not without issues. Hey, learning though! Multidiousness Mayhem should be better, i'm working on it right now - the hope is to take Catsuit Crashcourse, Freshwater Flowers Forest and Bounding Bully Bounce, and mash them together into one multi-track level. The goal is to have a level that should be very easy to complete (Because if it all goes wrong you bellyflop into the water and can swim slowly to the end)... but harder to speed run, with hopefully room for route optimisation and shennagins to really let skilled players strut their stuff (I'm def putting in some Yellow Spike blocks for @Kai_San to do something crazy with).

The hard part is goign to be making the trickier sections the faster to do sections. I suspect i may just have to design things so that it's all fun to play through, and then just let people figure out how to do it Fast

• Options
    The most important thing in a level? Know when to throw a bone to the player. Make some parts easy on purpose so they make progress and have fun.

This is what hurts so much. I wanted the level to be kind of a joyride experience. The whole concept for a sequel was to make a vertical section though since that wasn't possible in SMM1. I was just happy to have been able to pull off the on rails concept vertically. I knew there were issues with getting killed by the walls, but it just... never seemed to be too difficult when I tested and I had no outside testing to try. I have ideas for a fixed version finally and think I can pull off breaking up the second part. That as well as widening some paths should help. The concept of making it look like a natural cavern with slopes hurts the level so I will likely be smoothing out the walls too. Not to mention, the first part does have some stupid stuff I want to clear up.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    My comment wasn't really directed at a single creator, so don't take it to harsh!

Regarding your level, weirdly enough I had more problems with the first part of your level(the plants always hit me), and the second part I did in three tries.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I found the double plants only doable with fire flower spam or just taking the hit and relying on invulnerability frames.

The second half hitbox is what really got me. The movement had to be very precise - it's easy to rush and over-correct, and that's instant death every time. It didn't help that there was a lot of variety; no chance of getting used to one type of hazard, because a new one was just behind it.

I also died twice at the very end of the vertical section. Something would destroy the clown car as I tried to escape up the one way doors.

Overall, segments with a lot of instant kill potential should be very short. I think you had 3 or 4 courses' worth of ideas and difficulty.

That said, I do really love the idea, and there was a bunch of really solid stuff in there.

• Options
    Explains a lot about why it's kicking people's arses so hard (It has a 1.something% clear rate right now - 5 out of nearly 300 attempts . Whoops)

83 attempts it took me. There was a lot of screaming. Most of it was my fault but I kept going because you placed checkpoint flags in all the right places. Nothing makes me quit a difficult level harder then no checkpoints after a difficult section, so thanks for that.

Section 1: Those first jumps with land underneath if you whiff is just mean as I had to kill myself anyway. Why even put the land there?

Section 2: That slide onto ice only worked the first time and then all other times it would kill me unless I ran from the top. Which I would forget to do a bunch of times.

Section 3: That damn long jump after the slide killed me so much, it is very pixel perfect. I hate that jump with a fiery passion. I will wake up years from now in a cold sweat because of that jump.

Overall I was very satisfied to beat it and had to go to endless easy for a bit to calm down.

@Kai_San On Rails was fun. I made it all the way to the top only for Mario to fall out for no reason. That was very discouraging. Those logs at the top scared the crap out of me because they look the same colour as the rest of the instant death walls.
    I was also very certain I was going to fall into poison just before the end flag. So again thanks for not killing me there after all that.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I submitted my entry in the Google Sheet for this Mario Maker challenge:

Super Mario Maker Challenge #3
    19V-RWX-D0G - Airlock Escape

And now, to try and finish this puzzle course I'm working on!

Djiem on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

Similar thing is I think the most important thing in a level is to know how long a level should be.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Gundi wrote: »

Similar thing is I think the most important thing in a level is to know how long a level should be.

When I was remaking courses in SMM1 and SMM2 based on existing Nintendo games like SMB2 or the Boo courses from SMB Deluxe, one thing I realized is how much room there is. Most people, myself included, tend to make cramped, claustrophobic areas. Much like in music and art, the empty space has a role to play as well, and this is something that we don't really notice as we make a course. It feels like wasting space. Why would you put a longer platform with nothing around it? We're blind to it but it's important. There needs to be more open space between platforms, enemies, ?-blocks and power-ups than we usually put in.

Djiem on
  • Options
    @Mr_Grinch Your level taught me that Mario U makes a different death noise when he gets killed by the autoscroll. It is hilarious