As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jSrUh1FDxg
    P59-698-55G

the japanese guy who made this level is like on a whole nother plain of Mario Making existence from me.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    So I found this level tonight that may have been the hardest SMM2 level I ever completed. Then being as crazy as I am, I did it again just to make a post finished comment.

These are 3 of the 4 rooms. I left out the first because compared to these it was a joke

• Options
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    My MMC3 Entry
    Airship Assault
    9K6-LXH-8DG

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Explains a lot about why it's kicking people's arses so hard (It has a 1.something% clear rate right now - 5 out of nearly 300 attempts . Whoops)

83 attempts it took me. There was a lot of screaming. Most of it was my fault but I kept going because you placed checkpoint flags in all the right places. Nothing makes me quit a difficult level harder then no checkpoints after a difficult section, so thanks for that.

Section 1: Those first jumps with land underneath if you whiff is just mean as I had to kill myself anyway. Why even put the land there?

Section 2: That slide onto ice only worked the first time and then all other times it would kill me unless I ran from the top. Which I would forget to do a bunch of times.

Section 3: That damn long jump after the slide killed me so much, it is very pixel perfect. I hate that jump with a fiery passion. I will wake up years from now in a cold sweat because of that jump.

Overall I was very satisfied to beat it and had to go to endless easy for a bit to calm down.

@Kai_San On Rails was fun. I made it all the way to the top only for Mario to fall out for no reason. That was very discouraging. Those logs at the top scared the crap out of me because they look the same colour as the rest of the instant death walls.
    I was also very certain I was going to fall into poison just before the end flag. So again thanks for not killing me there after all that.

Section one: Asthetics. Really, i should have put a reset door in to let the player try the start sequence again there.

Section 2: That is so, so werid! I wonder why it works on my end, but not on others?

Section 3: It's possible i'm a sadistic fuck and enjoy your suffering.

That said! Thank you again so much. Loving the feedback on this, it's a real confidence booster <3

I really need to sit down and play a bunch of the thread's courses and give out some good feedback as extra thanks - i find i enjoy making courses way more than i do playing them, ironically <.<

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    P59-698-55G

the japanese guy who made this level is like on a whole nother plain of Mario Making existence from me.

What the fuck.

This is why creator tools -- modding APIs, map editors, customization options, all of it -- need to be taken more seriously by game devs. Sure, players are not AAA game devs. But they're experts at doing things you never would have thought of with every single piece of tech you give them.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Guys help me out. I've been throwing myself at this level and I cant figure out the secret tech it wants me to do. I can make it all the way to the 1ups but that doesnt seem to be the path to victory.
    175-P91-9WF

This maker and I have a bit of a back and forth going and I recommend checking out the rest of their levels. But this one has me stumped.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

It may be more toxic than the poison mushroom, but damn is it funny to watch!

• Options
    Speaking of VS, through tons of pain and suffering I just managed to hit A rank.

I was so close to that damn 5 win streak again too.

• Options
    Considering how most levels aren't really built for multiplayer, not to mention the lag... Multiplayer is pretty butts in this game.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I played through all of the challenge levels. Everything was excellent, going to let my thoughts stew a bit before I decide. This is a really tough call.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Edit: Ohboy wrong thread.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Okay, I made it through all the entires. This was a really good batch of levels. It seems autoscroll lends itself to airships, which makes sense. There were a ton of creative ideas here .

The Entries:

Agoaj - Airship Assault (9K6-LXH-8DG)
    Lots of cool stuff going on in this level. My favorite part was the running underneath hammer brothers. This reminded me of a section in Zelda 2 so big points there. I really like the opening section with the vine as well. I think a good use of employing different phases of a level, which helped build tension.

Djiem - Airlock Escape (19V-RWX-D0G)
    The central part of this level - blowing up the bombomb and activating fast autoscroll was just so excellent.

Kai_San - Once More With Speeding (9PQ-K6B-VXF)
    What a really awesome use of autoscroll. You took it in a different direction from just about everyone else. Super creative.

Kizmit - Turbulence (K3M-M9L-SJG)
    This level is absolutely hilarious and i had to pause after the first death to finish up laughing. I love it.

Mr_Grinch - Walls are Made for Jumping (3X1-2RG-G3G)
    These are the levels that actually make me better at mario, so I appreciate stuff like this. Since you asked about it: The first time I got to that butt-stomp on/off block i just spin jumped past it, which killed me later in the level. I like a lot of stuff you did here and it was probably the exact right length.

Quovadis13 - Boom Boom's Airship (1HK-C8V-LGF)
    Really cool. I enjoyed the use of the scroll to double back to get the keys under the ships. I wasn't aware the keys were optional at the end but it still felt good to get it all. I also enjoyed the boss fight at the end

The Sauce - Guardian of the Sky (S5V-1G2-WCG)
    A super well crafted level. Really cool use of looping scroll, and the door at the end to repeat stuff was a great design decision.

Winner
    Ok, picking the winner here was crazy hard. Custom Autoscroll seems like one of the most difficult things to use, and it was applied really well here by all of you. So things were super close. I went back and forth between my decision but I think I am going to go with.
    @quovadis13 - Boom Boom's Airship - I really had a fun time with this one. It used custom scroll well, with variable speeds and directions, and applied the theme well.

Steam
  • Options
    These challenges definitely get me ideas to actually make good levels. That is why I enjoy doing it.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Okay, I made it through all the entires. This was a really good batch of levels. It seems autoscroll lends itself to airships, which makes sense. There were a ton of creative ideas here .

The Entries:

Agoaj - Airship Assault (9K6-LXH-8DG)
    Lots of cool stuff going on in this level. My favorite part was the running underneath hammer brothers. This reminded me of a section in Zelda 2 so big points there. I really like the opening section with the vine as well. I think a good use of employing different phases of a level, which helped build tension.

Djiem - Airlock Escape (19V-RWX-D0G)
    The central part of this level - blowing up the bombomb and activating fast autoscroll was just so excellent.

Kai_San - Once More With Speeding (9PQ-K6B-VXF)
    What a really awesome use of autoscroll. You took it in a different direction from just about everyone else. Super creative.

Kizmit - Turbulence (K3M-M9L-SJG)
    This level is absolutely hilarious and i had to pause after the first death to finish up laughing. I love it.

Mr_Grinch - Walls are Made for Jumping (3X1-2RG-G3G)
    These are the levels that actually make me better at mario, so I appreciate stuff like this. Since you asked about it: The first time I got to that butt-stomp on/off block i just spin jumped past it, which killed me later in the level. I like a lot of stuff you did here and it was probably the exact right length.

Quovadis13 - Boom Boom's Airship (1HK-C8V-LGF)
    Really cool. I enjoyed the use of the scroll to double back to get the keys under the ships. I wasn't aware the keys were optional at the end but it still felt good to get it all. I also enjoyed the boss fight at the end

The Sauce - Guardian of the Sky (S5V-1G2-WCG)
    A super well crafted level. Really cool use of looping scroll, and the door at the end to repeat stuff was a great design decision.

Winner
    Ok, picking the winner here was crazy hard. Custom Autoscroll seems like one of the most difficult things to use, and it was applied really well here by all of you. So things were super close. I went back and forth between my decision but I think I am going to go with.
    @quovadis13 - Boom Boom's Airship - I really had a fun time with this one. It used custom scroll well, with variable speeds and directions, and applied the theme well.

Oh man that’s awesome!!!! Just so everyone knows, while working on that level, I removed a lot of bullet bills and cannons from the layout. Doing that definitely made the course more fun overall I feel, especially since the autoscroll kept the bullets that were aimed left on the screen the whole way with you. Also, I usually try to make a “true ending” so to speak that will just be the three 1-ups.

I have an idea for the challenge, but I will post it later tonight or in the morning tomorrow when I have some time to do it up right

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    P59-698-55G

What the fuck.

This is why creator tools -- modding APIs, map editors, customization options, all of it -- need to be taken more seriously by game devs. Sure, players are not AAA game devs. But they're experts at doing things you never would have thought of with every single piece of tech you give them.

This, there are so many really talented people out there who are excited about game development but only want to do it as a hobby. Making an indie game from scratch and finding an audience is nearly impossible without a paid team, players' standards are too high now. So creators have good reason to prefer a creative platform where the baseline gameplay is already there, and people will actually play what they make.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Considering how most levels aren't really built for multiplayer, not to mention the lag... Multiplayer is pretty butts in this game.

It is? I should stop having so much unbridled fun with it then...

Sarcasm aside, you're wrong. Multiplayer is awesome in this game.

There, no we're back at neutral.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    I love multiplayer too. The bullshit is just what makes it fun. You need to accept that there will just be some really dumb wins both on your end and on others.

But the absolutely unpredictable insanity makes for some amazing moments. I get that losing to stupid shit left and right isn't easy for some, but when you can laugh it off some of it is just freaking hilarious. As that vid showed.

Also, there is something very rewarding about being able to "read" a level just by knowing the SMM design meta. Sometimes you just make an insane read on some mistake they made and instantly win a level leaving everyone confused as hell.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    The multiplayer has lag/slowdown spikes in almost every match and in about 1/4 matches that slowdown is massive where gameplay starts getting measured in seconds-per-frame.

It would be fun if it worked, but it doesn’t.

• Options
    I mean speak for yourself?

I get plenty of lag free games. The majority of them even.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I get both types of matches. Lag-free games and powerpoint presentations.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I lagged every single game until I bought an ethernet adapter, and after that I think I only saw one or two really laggy rounds. If you aren't on a wire, get on a wire!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I find laggy games just add to the hilarity. Once someone quits the lag usually disappears. There is a unique form of comradeship created through these laggy messes (assuming everyone else is lagging also)

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    I find laggy games just add to the hilarity. Once someone quits the lag usually disappears. There is a unique form of comradeship created through these laggy messes (assuming everyone else is lagging also)

The game uses a consensus model, so every frame advances only once each system knows what inputs have been issued for each player (with, presumably, a small buffer). If the game is advancing slowly for you, the game is advancing slowly for everyone.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #4!

The Four Screen Challenge!!

Make a fun and exciting but short and sweet Mario level using only 4 screens*. Will it be a series of 4 one screen challenges/puzzles or a short but intense platforming challenge? Limiting yourself to a set area will definitely challenge your creative abilities.

*Note, if you want to have an extra screen for an entrance and exit to dress up your level, feel free to technically make 6 screens, but the meat of your level should be confined to 4 screens

Challenge details:
    Level Style: Any
    Level Theme: Any
    Nighttime option: Yes

The scroll lock option is great at locking the view to make levels feel much more “proper”. So far, when I make levels, I have found that I feel like I have to use the entire area available in the game to make a level. I feel that that kind of thinking can lead to levels being too long and difficult as a result. Placing a restriction like this I hope will force everyone to really focus on one or two elements only and how to squeeze as much fun out of them.

As I mentioned above, if you want to make a start screen that just leads to a pipe so you can place your 4 screens in the subworld, go right ahead. Also, my hope is that by limiting the screens, levels won’t take as long to make (or to play and judge!)

When do we want the submission deadline to be? I will try to run through levels as they come in and can probably play the last few levels on Saturday night (Eastern time zone), so if you need most of the day Saturday to finish, I can probably accommodate that (hopefully?)

Have fun!

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I am on it

I have a hankerin for a chaotic underwater level with lots of cranes and sawblades on tracks

• Options
    @quovadis13 Just to make sure I understand the definition, is a screen "single screen wide and high", or (in a standard horizontal world) "single screen wide, two screens tall". Like, are we allowed to use the vertical space I guess is my question.

My instinct is that it's the former ("single wide, single tall") but I want to make sure I'm not unnecessarily limiting myself.

• Options
    @quovadis13 Just to make sure I understand the definition, is a screen "single screen wide and high", or (in a standard horizontal world) "single screen wide, two screens tall". Like, are we allowed to use the vertical space I guess is my question.

My instinct is that it's the former ("single wide, single tall") but I want to make sure I'm not unnecessarily limiting myself.

Single screen wide, single screen tall. Like the description says, a set of 4 single screen challenges would work, but if you want to link them together as one big connected room, you can do it in whatever way you want but keep it in single wide single high building blocks.

Also, if you have a design that requires some off screen triggering, I will allow it and not count it as part of your screen count as long as you keep that hidden. Use those scroll locks well!

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Must... resist... urge... to... make... yet... another... boss... "course"...

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Man, really annoying that i haven't had much time to sit down and work on a new level. I started the first 2 screens, but it's super bare bones so far.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Man, really annoying that i haven't had much time to sit down and work on a new level. I started the first 2 screens, but it's super bare bones so far.

So you're 50% of the way done with this week's challenge level, is what i'm reading.

Steam
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

Make 4.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I was trying to make a course based on The Grey but trying to get the wolf pack analogue to follow and not fall back has been a massive pain.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Make 4.
    Enabler!

Anyway, @quovadis13 made the objectives pretty clear, in terms of why only 4 screens. Throwing a bunch of dense boss fights in there is a way to technically meet the criteria while avoiding the spirit of the challenge.

Similarly, I've tried to brainstorm ways to do other clever things, like have the player go back and forth across the 4 screens, but various contraptions cause some changes each time. While that could lead to some clever fabrication of techs, it's still avoiding the point of this exercise.

Squeezing fun out of one or two elements, though, is something I'm super comfortable with. Two of my best challenge courses were the Kuribo's Shoe one in this set and the Buzzy Barrows course from the original Mario Maker, both of which focused on a single thing. It's just that those were long, filled with efforts to use the thing in every possible way.

Here, the trick is to optimize every grid cell of the layout to maximize fun for the player, choosing the very best of the ways to work with the elements chosen. I think I have a pretty good idea for this, going back to another one of the original game's challenges we ran, and a backup option that's still forming in my head.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Make 4.
    Enabler!

Anyway, @quovadis13 made the objectives pretty clear, in terms of why only 4 screens. Throwing a bunch of dense boss fights in there is a way to technically meet the criteria while avoiding the spirit of the challenge.

Similarly, I've tried to brainstorm ways to do other clever things, like have the player go back and forth across the 4 screens, but various contraptions cause some changes each time. While that could lead to some clever fabrication of techs, it's still avoiding the point of this exercise.

Squeezing fun out of one or two elements, though, is something I'm super comfortable with. Two of my best challenge courses were the Kuribo's Shoe one in this set and the Buzzy Barrows course from the original Mario Maker, both of which focused on a single thing. It's just that those were long, filled with efforts to use the thing in every possible way.

Here, the trick is to optimize every grid cell of the layout to maximize fun for the player, choosing the very best of the ways to work with the elements chosen. I think I have a pretty good idea for this, going back to another one of the original game's challenges we ran, and a backup option that's still forming in my head.

Back tracking through the screens is definitely within the boundaries especially now that we have on/off switches which would make something like that easier. Using that as a mechanic to essentially "extend" the level can potentially be a neat idea for this challenge.

The only restriction is the physical screen space you can use to design. What exactly you want Mario to do inside those screens is completely up to you

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    The Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #4!

The Four Screen Challenge!!

Make a fun and exciting but short and sweet Mario level using only 4 screens*. Will it be a series of 4 one screen challenges/puzzles or a short but intense platforming challenge? Limiting yourself to a set area will definitely challenge your creative abilities.

*Note, if you want to have an extra screen for an entrance and exit to dress up your level, feel free to technically make 6 screens, but the meat of your level should be confined to 4 screens

Challenge details:
    Level Style: Any
    Level Theme: Any
    Nighttime option: Yes
    Are non-interactable offscreen mechanisms allowed? Such as a Thwomp above the playable area hitting a switch? My guess would be no, but just making sure.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    It's legal:
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Single screen wide, single screen tall. Like the description says, a set of 4 single screen challenges would work, but if you want to link them together as one big connected room, you can do it in whatever way you want but keep it in single wide single high building blocks.

Also, if you have a design that requires some off screen triggering, I will allow it and not count it as part of your screen count as long as you keep that hidden. Use those scroll locks well!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Just to let folks know, the first clear for The Other Side Of The Box is still open. (JYB-B2N-JRG)

Gundi on
  • Options
    We are well along the road of sacrifices. Below us is the Crucifixion Woods. Beyond the flooded woods lies Farron Keep, home of the Undead Legion. Further yet is the Cathedral of the Deep. We seek the cathedral, home of the grim Aldrich.

DS3 - Road of Sacrifices
    FH8-S4V-PQF

Boss: Crystal Sage
    One of the twin students of Big Hat Logan, this sage allied himself with the Abyss Watchers of Farron Keep. Alas, his crystal magics eventually drove he and his twin mad. Beware his illusions!

...This boss sometimes breaks. The second phase is supposed to warp the flagpole but fails randomly. Only surefire fix was to use small mages, and I wasn't willing to do that. If you get lucky, enjoy the easy win!