As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    Updated the spreadsheet with my submission.

Challenge #5
    Donut Panic - 4J1-YLQ-8JF

You may take away my gizmos, but you'll never take away my gimmicky spirit!
    This course might be much more difficult than I originally intended.

EDIT: I added all submissions I could see to tab 5.

Dang, this was tough! I think you nailed the checkpoint placement. Interesting variety too. My time is much longer I believe because I paused and came back to it later.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Here's my submission. Comments are appreciated.

Challenge #5
    Flappy Cape - 0L7-CSV-1NG

@The Sauce

Based on the hit mobile game for about a week!

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »

Challenge #5

Dang, this was tough! I think you nailed the checkpoint placement. Interesting variety too. My time is much longer I believe because I paused and came back to it later.

Beating it without the checkpoints was quite an ordeal.

• Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    Finally got some free time this week to get back into this.

@The Sauce
    Challenge #5
    Perfectly Normal SMMC #5 - QM6-K6W-G7G
    Just an ordinary Mario course.

I tried to create a fairly standard course. It's full of all the Mario standards; hidden 1ups, secret areas and 5 large coins.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I had an hour and threw this together, it could do with refining but I'm not going to have time. There are a few different ways to do the last bit:

MMC5 - Going Up?
    Code: VFN-V02-4FF

I'll add it to the Google sheet when my battery isn't about to die!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I added a bossbattle and tweaked some parts of the level to give more flow and a little higher challenge!

Way Of The Thwomp 2: Ants In The Pants
    Levelcode: GYH VVY LYF

There are now 60 Ants to kill!
    Good luck!

@The Sauce

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I reuploaded Mirthful Meadows. I tweaked a few jumps to be less oppressive to being Super and eased a few overall as well. Nothing major.

New code is S63-WD1-HVF. I updated the doc as well.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I reuploaded Mirthful Meadows. I tweaked a few jumps to be less oppressive to being Super and eased a few overall as well. Nothing major.

New code is S63-WD1-HVF. I updated the doc as well.

Way improved dood! Flows much better and feels way more rewarding to explore now - i was actually able to get to most of the secrets. Great work!

(Also, anyone got feedback on Crashhelm Castle Caverns? Curious what you all think of it)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Challenge level is up! I'll update the spreadsheet when I'm not phone posting. Only thing stymying in this one was some core super Mario bros mechanics live under the gizmo tabs. Like bullet bills for example.

I doubt this will be hard for anyone, but hopefully a nice slice of nostalgia.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was surprised by some of the things I had forgotten were gizmos.

Fucking vines, for example.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Yeah, I was surprised by some of the things I had forgotten were gizmos.

Fucking vines, for example.

Yes that's right! I figured they would have been a terrain piece.

• Options
    Way lower completion rate, I see. Is it too hard now?

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I put signs in, they're technically 'gizmos' but figured they'd get a pass!

There's a 'p' switch too but that's just a little hidden extra.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »

It says kill at least 60 but it turns out to be all of them barring the 2 embedded in the wall. It's a bit misleading and could probably cause people to quit.

• Options
    Kizmitt wrote: »

It says kill at least 60 but it turns out to be all of them barring the 2 embedded in the wall. It's a bit misleading and could probably cause people to quit.

Those two are an indication how many ants are to the left and right of the split. Indicated with the 30 coin and the arrows next to them. (The boss holds 30, and the level itself has 30).

See my profile here!
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Challenge level is up! I'll update the spreadsheet when I'm not phone posting. Only thing stymying in this one was some core super Mario bros mechanics live under the gizmo tabs. Like bullet bills for example.

It's not hard, but it was fun! Especially liked how you started out with 1-1, but quickly mixed thing up. Could have used a checkpoint for the people who accidentally jumped into a pit though.

See my profile here!
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

It's not hard, but it was fun! Especially liked how you started out with 1-1, but quickly mixed thing up. Could have used a checkpoint for the people who accidentally jumped into a pit though.

I thought about a checkpoint, but as you said it wasn't hard, and after one or two tries I figure most people will have a handle on it, and that's in the spirit of the original mario.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    You know what I would like is invisible tracks. I'd like to make a koopa fly in a circle without seeing the track, that kind of thing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks very much to whoever added my level to the Google spreadsheet, much appreciated!

I'd like to see an offline play list generator. I want to chuck all those levels in a play list and run through them all

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    You know what I would like is invisible tracks. I'd like to make a koopa fly in a circle without seeing the track, that kind of thing.

I'd like barriers that prevent enemies from moving but you can pass through or vice-versa, invisible. In fact, until I played @Kai_San 's map yesterday, I didn't know the alternate Goombas in Mario3 are like the red koopas in that they dont walk off. I was wondering why they were there...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    They are there as an addition from 3D world, and they do that in all styles. Very useful for making sure Goombas don't just randomly fall on peoples heads.

• Options
    And yet there are no cat goombas.
    I should be able to turn everything into cats. Even the spike blocks. Especially the spike blocks.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

I know they wanted to put out a user-friendly product, without any complex programming options and such. But I would probably pay $50 for "Advanced Mode" DLC that would let me set up triggers, define relationships between objects/events, etc. Stuff like:

-For every {10} {Red Koopas} player kills, grant {Fire Flower}.
    -When player enters {Rectangular Area: {Coordinate1} to {Coordinate2}}, spawn {{Launcher} at {Coordinate3}, {Launcher} at {Coordinate4}}.
    -Every time player {jumps}, spawn {Boo} at {coordinate of triggering jump}.
    -When player enters {Door1}, IF player {has Fire Flower}, THEN {Door2}, ELSE {Door3}

I can definitely understand why they wouldn't want to ship this as part of the base product, since its very presence would make the entire game seem less user-friendly even if you stuck to Basic Mode. But I think it would work great as a DLC/expansion for people who could look into it before purchasing and know what they're getting into.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    So I also made a course riffing on 1-1 today. Ok, riffing might be an understatement.

Return to 1-1
    Mario Returns to 1-1 but something feels... off. Eh, it's probably nothing.
    8DG-Y6N-1GF

I am hoping the level hit the mark but I'm not feeling confident. I'd appreciate feedback. I wish I had made it a little weirder but I literally ran out of physical space. 1-1's full layout is actually kind of huge.

If you plan to play, don't read this until after:
    So obviously the goal is like a weird, broken version of 1-1 where the level has been sliced up a little bit. It relies on a strong recollection of the 1-1 layout and any deviation from it should be investigated.

The level stops with a barrier 3/4 of the way through, and you have to turn around and figure out how you should proceed. Using the warp pipe brings you to a mock ending, which contains a door on the fake castle that lets you blow up the barrier. After that, you're sort of left on your own.

There's a hidden key and a hidden vine and in each case the block they're hidden in was added to the layout and represent the only places I deviated from 1-1's design. I also added marking coins because I wasn't convinced it was obvious enough.

To me, they each stand out like a thousand watt beacon because something I've played 10,000 times as a kid has changed. But I dunno, I made the thing. Making an actually fun hidden object level seems virtually impossible so I wonder if I did it.

I also wanted to evoke a bit of a "boundary break" feeling but I feel like I wasn't particularly successful.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm not sure scripting would improve my designs, personally. I think I would be more likely to overreach and try to make something that's scarcely a mario level and not well-suited to mario maker. But I could totally see other makers going to town and making incredible stuff with it.

Something I'd like to see are one-way warps. Warps where the entry point is a door or pipe and the exit point is just an invisible spawn location. You could use them to make rooms that you apparently enter and leave through the same door but end up in a new area. I'd love that as a tool when making micro-narrative courses like "Friend of the Thwomps" where there are 4 copies of the main world, each in a different state, and you progress through them as you play.

When making that course, I never found a satisfactory way to make that work. In the final version you can still see it swap doors on the puzzle chambers.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Challenge #5

You know I spent forever on this at the end because I could not figure out how to get past that last thwomp. I thought you needed the boot since I couldn’t see any other reason for it to be there. I eventually figured out you can actually get in pipes quick in a boot if you crouch and aim toward it.

I just now realized all I needed to do was get rid of the bottom donuts to get him low enough.

I found new tech for myself before the real way 😕

• Options
    So I also made a course riffing on 1-1 today. Ok, riffing might be an understatement.

Return to 1-1
    Mario Returns to 1-1 but something feels... off. Eh, it's probably nothing.
    8DG-Y6N-1GF

I am hoping the level hit the mark but I'm not feeling confident. I'd appreciate feedback. I wish I had made it a little weirder but I literally ran out of physical space. 1-1's full layout is actually kind of huge.

If you plan to play, don't read this until after:
    So obviously the goal is like a weird, broken version of 1-1 where the level has been sliced up a little bit. It relies on a strong recollection of the 1-1 layout and any deviation from it should be investigated.

The level stops with a barrier 3/4 of the way through, and you have to turn around and figure out how you should proceed. Using the warp pipe brings you to a mock ending, which contains a door on the fake castle that lets you blow up the barrier. After that, you're sort of left on your own.

There's a hidden key and a hidden vine and in each case the block they're hidden in was added to the layout and represent the only places I deviated from 1-1's design. I also added marking coins because I wasn't convinced it was obvious enough.

To me, they each stand out like a thousand watt beacon because something I've played 10,000 times as a kid has changed. But I dunno, I made the thing. Making an actually fun hidden object level seems virtually impossible so I wonder if I did it.

I also wanted to evoke a bit of a "boundary break" feeling but I feel like I wasn't particularly successful.
    The hidden vine and key were obvious to me as I have also played it 1000 times. But the coins are good indicators of something important being in the block.
    I found the key relatively early and felt proud that I had solved a puzzle before I had encountered it.

I got a bit stuck in the mock ending thinking I had soft locked myself and then realised I was supposed to wait for the bombs to explode.

It's one of the better 'not quite 1-1' levels I've encountered. And now I'm going to try set a record for it.

Also, your comments on my Spiny Cloud levels are amazing. They inspire me to make more.

• Options
    If we're talking about DLC content, there are really two things I want added to the game:

- Semisolid slopes
    - SMB2 tileset

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Challenge 5 is closed to new entries! I started going through spreadsheet courses yesterday. Tonight I'll try to wrap it up and announce the winner. Good luck to everyone who submitted!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

Challenge #5

You know I spent forever on this at the end because I could not figure out how to get past that last thwomp. I thought you needed the boot since I couldn’t see any other reason for it to be there. I eventually figured out you can actually get in pipes quick in a boot if you crouch and aim toward it.

I just now realized all I needed to do was get rid of the bottom donuts to get him low enough.

I found new tech for myself before the real way 😕

Oh wow, so you can just damage boost the last Thwomp? Damn! The only reason the boot is here is to kill the Koopa so you don't worry about it when doing the donut drop in the pipe.!

• Options
    Yeah normally you need to hop against a pipe in the boot for like 2 seconds to go in. But I found out you can duck by pressing diagonally down and toward the pipe to not hop and it will go in.

I have no idea why I didn’t bother to remember I could just remove that last row of blocks myself for the thwomp.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I started making a course for the challenge but I couldn't figure out what I actually wanted to accomplish. Still, it was fun to see what sorts of things I could set up without gizmos!

• Options
    The one thing I am hoping we get in the first update, and soon, is online app implementation. It’s almost certain they will have something on that app similar to the bookmark site for smm1. It’s just so much easier to browse levels and add them to a list and run through them when you get around to playing.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Some challenge level impressions:
    Mirthful Meadows: well laid out, just a solid fun regular level.

Cathedral of the Deep: great theme, I gave to in the second goomba boss fight after a couple tries. No one ever drops a key, and I'm not sure what else to do in there? Plus the run back to the boss was annoying with those water jumps. I really enjoyed it up til the end though.

Crashelm Castle Caverns: fun level! I was a little confused where to go a few times but it worked out in the end. Could have maybe done a bit more varied helmet gimmickry to add interest? I love the shellmet and the bone bucket, so I'm going to be predisposed to liking this from the jump.

Unfortunate Son: this is the best theming. This is a nightmare to play. That works for the theme, but I gave up shortly after the winged ice blocks.

Donut Panic: this level! i love this level. It's balls hard but in a fair way, with some really cool setups. I cut the record time from 15min to 4:12, and that could definitely be improved a lot just by not dying a bunch of times.

Also, I made a level! I started messing around with a level for the challenge, but ended up making a dark mode 30s speed run instead. The seed of the idea was a thwomp with a ghost on it's head chasing you in the dark. Lemme know what you think.

Spooooky Speedrun
    Q3D-VYG-0TF

"The vengeful spirits of thwomps are coming for you! Run for it, Mario!"

• Options
    I tried your spoooky speedrun level, but I'm afraid it's just not for me.

I'm just not a fan of trial and error levels where you have to memorize the level and die after each new bit until you beat it.

I know others do, but I'm giving it a pass!

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Cathedral of the Deep: great theme, I gave to in the second goomba boss fight after a couple tries. No one ever drops a key, and I'm not sure what else to do in there? Plus the run back to the boss was annoying with those water jumps. I really enjoyed it up til the end though.

Crashelm Castle Caverns: fun level! I was a little confused where to go a few times but it worked out in the end. Could have maybe done a bit more varied helmet gimmickry to add interest? I love the shellmet and the bone bucket, so I'm going to be predisposed to liking this from the jump.

Unfortunate Son: this is the best theming. This is a nightmare to play. That works for the theme, but I gave up shortly after the winged ice blocks.

Donut Panic: this level! i love this level. It's balls hard but in a fair way, with some really cool setups. I cut the record time from 15min to 4:12, and that could definitely be improved a lot just by not dying a bunch of times.

Also, I made a level! I started messing around with a level for the challenge, but ended up making a dark mode 30s speed run instead. The seed of the idea was a thwomp with a ghost on it's head chasing you in the dark. Lemme know what you think.

Spooooky Speedrun
    Q3D-VYG-0TF

I need to start bringing my switch to work and playing on my lunch break.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Spooooky Speedrun
    Q3D-VYG-0TF

So Cathedral of the Deep isn't a Challenge level, which is appropriate since I'm judging the Challenges this week and also it uses tons of Gizmos ;)

As for the boss:
    You use the On blocks to "damage" the boss; the life bar is represented by the Munchers at the bottom. The last Muncher awards the key.

This is a mechanic I've used in most of my Dark Souls 3 8-bit Devolved courses for boss fights. I can see how it's more confusing in this one if you haven't played the others, since the first form doesn't work this way. Maybe I should add some helpful comments for that in the courses that use it.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options

Spooooky Speedrun
    Q3D-VYG-0TF

Regarding Unfortunate Son, you may be highly distressed to learn that you were apparently working on the final challenge when you gave up.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yea I figured I had to be close, but I timed out on those cursed winged ice blocks once then died to whatever was right after them and said okay well... ;)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @Ah_Pook have you suggestions for more helmet gimmicky? I'm working on a remix of the level and i'd love to do more with the concept than just thwomp bouncing and bomb bouncing

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891