Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah we ordered an extra set of joycons with the Switch I got back in July, but they had drift out of the box. I think refurbished on Amazon. I need to get around to sending them in.

I guess the explosion of games coming up is going to take quite a bit of time away from SMM2.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    How many people are still working on a course? Will everyone be able to get them in by tomorrow night or should we give everyone a few more days?

I'm working on one, but I don't think I will make it in time.

I don't have a lot of free time, and Mario is now constantly floating left and right without me touching any controlls, so that's not helping.

I've had that issue, and Disgaea 5's boards rotating endlessly. Both of those quite recently. Are our Switches cursed?

If y'all are using joycons I guess drift is a thing that happens sometimes, and Nintendo will fix it for free.

I've heard that. It's strange though cause I have a launch model and this never happened before. The drift affects buttons too, right? Cause rotating in Disgaea is done with R and L, not with the joysticks.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Challenge #7
    The Tower of Wind

7MN-QGR-S1H

I have to admit, this one was a doozy, I had to make a TON of concessions to get this to actually work properly. But I'm fairly pleased with the outcome. I actually want to do a whole series of these towers now.

@quovadis13

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I think a thing I would like to see in an update (come on, September Direct!) would be the ability to use a custom palette. So for instance, let me have the semi-solids from the sky theme, the ground from the castle theme, and the background of the ground theme, etc. Doesn't have any impact on the gameplay whatsoever, but does let me build things that match my aesthetic intentions for a level.

• Options
    Challenge #7
    Flight Power Recharge Station
    9X6-PDF-GHF

I had a good idea, but ran out of time before I could figure out how to make it really fun and interesting.

• Options
    Also put up a course I threw together.

Revenge of 1-1
    7CJ-L4W-Q2G

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Who else is planning a level still? Time is almost up

• Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    Challenge #7
    Completely Cape-able
    WFB-9DM-LYF

I went with more of a playground idea this time. I tried to touch on all the different cape uses, some red coins to track down and an homage to two of my favorite cape parts from SMW.

@quovadis13

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    So if there aren’t any more courses, I will at least announce the winner tonight and then do a full write up for everyone tomorrow.

The winner is....Zython with The Tower of Wind. Congrats!

I thought this was a well designed course with fun obstacles. I kind of like how you need the leaf to beat it but you never actually need to fly with it. Even though you are just jumping and floating throughout, the different obstacles make it seem like you are doing something new every time and the level doesn’t get stale. I feel like the level was a perfect length too. You also use an annoying theme (night desert) and play to its strengths.

I am highly anticipating the next entry should you decide to continue with this series.

• Options
    Comments regarding the weeks levels.

Kizmitt - Propeller Fella
    Good use of the vertical section (this will be a theme this week). Only level to use the Propeller Mushroom. Night ghost house theme was used well, didnt feel annoying. The end portion was maybe a bit too crowded, had one or 2 podobos been removed, it likely wouldnt have felt as cramped. Still a good overall level.

Kai_San - Fight or Flight
    Neat concept with the two different ways to beat the level, I did complete the level both ways. The flying basically just used the same trick of dive bombing to get height and it was a little finicky to get just the right angle each time. I would either hit the block just before and lose all my forward momentum or I would go flying down too low to get back up after, but I eventually got through it. I did cheese the end and take the hit to get to the goal though. The "Fight" portion probably would have benefitted from limiting the types of enemies to only 2 or 3 different types, as it does make it seem kind of like a mashup of all the enemies in a game. I did not realize that there was a "Fight" portion of the level until after I beat the flying part. I couldn't put 2 and 2 together since I just always grabbed the feather. How exactly does the launcher not trigger if dont grab the feather?

Djiem - Flight Power Recharge Station
    Simple concept that was executed well. The main portion felt very wide open which is good when you are doing all that flying. Vertical levels definitely limit the amount of breaking of a level you can do since you can only fly so high. Good density of bullet bills at the end, it never felt unfair.

The Sauce - Behind Space
    Really well themed level. Upside down levels are something that I dont think I will ever get too comfortable with as they just totally challenge all your Mario muscle memory. So its a good thing to keep what you need to do in them pretty straightforward, which this level did. Used a bunch of different flying mechanics which was good. Felt a little short, but what was there was really well done.

Cravipat - Completely Cape-able - SMMC #7 - Runner up
    Just a neat little cape level that makes you do alot of different cape stuff. The SMW homages were great as well (definitely tickled my nostalgia bone). Was a bit short and felt more like a proof of concept level as some of the challenges were just right next to each other, but was otherwise really well done. I couldnt figure out how to get that last red coin, I assume jump from the falling platforms underneath? But you would have to time getting on and off them a bit better I think

Ah_Pook - Always Know Where Your Cape Is
    This level is hard to judge to be honest. I didn't beat it, but I did make it to the checkpoint, albeit without a cape so I didnt actually collect the checkpoint. I just took the hit and ran to the pipe. (I assume I need to dive bomb down after throwing that second POW and use the i-frames to spin onto the spiky shell? Overall, I spent about an hour or so on the level (I think?). It is a very difficult level and it is not for most people. That kaizo crowd is ultimately a pretty narrow subsection of the larger Mario Maker community and this would probably appeal to them very much, but it is not for the general population.

This level definitely used the cape in the most unique ways. The first time I took off after bouncing to grab that second feather was really cool as I didnt even know the cape worked that way. I did struggle with consistency for the most part, especially on that very first jump up the spike lined portion (if that was a block wider, it would have been much more consistent to start off) but when I put some more time into it last night, I was starting to get things to work a bit more often. I don't think the level was unfair, but there were a few places so far where another extra block of space or something would have made things a bit easier but still remain challenging. I will keep at it and try to finish it eventually, but I don't currently have time to grind it for several hours at a time. If you like playing and making these levels, then keep doing it, but if you want to get a bit more widespread appeal, then you will have to dial things back down a bit.

Once again, alot of great levels overall. You guys are pretty talented level makers. Mario Maker is an awesome game!

• Options
    I actually did limit the enemy types for the most part. I think it was only 4 total? Oh maybe 5.

The blaster doesn’t shoot because of item limits. Find the secret area and you can answer that question :D

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    God, multiplayer is so much fun. Something about the intensity of trying to read a designer's intentions under that kind of pressure just makes for exceptional gameplay. It's like, is this the kind of level where I should just run right? Are the red coins optional? Where are my opportunities to fuck over this Luigi that's been getting in my way?

And then occasionally you get levels that are just hot garbage and somehow they're STILL fun because you're experiencing them with 3 other helpless victims. I got a 3D World level last night that consisted solely of a huge thwomp you had to stand on top of and ride to the end. I won by picking up all the other players and throwing them back towards the start of the level, off the thwomp, at which point they couldn't move fast enough to catch back up. What would have been a boring waiting simulator in singleplayer was suddenly a hilarious race to betray each other.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Someone left a comment on my shortcut stronghold level and i have no idea what they were trying to say. It's just some weird picture right at the beginning.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    The levels that are playable but clearly not incredibly well designed are the best. Because you can usually find somewhere that you can skip something the creator just missed, and come up with a miracle comeback.

Or you guess wrong and it was a long path to being blocked and you feel stupid. Goes both ways.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    The levels that are playable but clearly not incredibly well designed are the best. Because you can usually find somewhere that you can skip something the creator just missed, and come up with a miracle comeback.

Or you guess wrong and it was a long path to being blocked and you feel stupid. Goes both ways.

The best is when it's a path that you wouldn't have been able to take in single-player, but bouncing off another player's head gets you there. Because then the other 3 players spend 20 seconds fighting to bounce off each other's heads without, in turn, allowing anyone to bounce off their head.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    @quovadis13 thanks for the feedback. Totally fair. I'm not sure how far I'm going to go with hard levels, but I think they're fun to make and upload, so we'll see I guess. :) you drop the pow and then land on it, also. Anyone who gets to the second part let me know how you find it. No one has gotten there yet, based on the failure map.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Uploaded a new puzzle course similar to Flickers and Fickle Treadmills but without the darkness which people didn't like.

Brain-Dead for Dry Bones - 77L-NLS-HQF

Designing this course made me realize some flaws with Flickers and Fickle Treadmills. People would like it much better without the darkness, unnecessary rooms for reset, and annoying sound effects, so I deleted it, fixed it, and uploaded it under a new name and theme:

Cranium Crank Up - WFN-6NF-0XF

It's certainly much easier without the darkness!

Djiem on
  • Options
    This game is incredibly versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5g8mCS_co

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I had a level that was literally impossible to complete in multiplayer. It was a 10 second gauntlet that starts with a spring falling down to propel you forward. One by one players would quit until it was just me, but because of the 3 second countdown I would die on the flagpole.
    I ended up giving up loading it up in single player and beating it on my first try.
    Theres a tiny fraction of a second pause from the countdown to starting the level, barely noticeable normally.

• Options
    So if there aren’t any more courses, I will at least announce the winner tonight and then do a full write up for everyone tomorrow.

The winner is....Zython with The Tower of Wind. Congrats!

I thought this was a well designed course with fun obstacles. I kind of like how you need the leaf to beat it but you never actually need to fly with it. Even though you are just jumping and floating throughout, the different obstacles make it seem like you are doing something new every time and the level doesn’t get stale. I feel like the level was a perfect length too. You also use an annoying theme (night desert) and play to its strengths.

I am highly anticipating the next entry should you decide to continue with this series.

Wow! I'm so happy you liked my level. I've always wanted to do a level using the desert winds as an asset rather than an obstacle, but wasn't sure if I pulled it off.

Anyhow, I guess it's my turn to choose the theme for the next challenge. Lessee...

Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #8 - Say Good Night

One of the big additions to Mario Maker 2 is the night theme. Rather than a pure cosmetic change, it also affects the environment and several items. Your challenge is to make a stage incorporating the night in any theme. Only one of the two sub-areas has to be night-themed. You should try to incorporate at least one gameplay element that can only be done in that (or any) stage's night theme. Swimmy castle? Poison swamp? Evil mushrooms? Happy moons? The choice is yours.

Level Style: SMB, SMB3, SMW or NSMBU
    Level Theme: Any
    Nighttime Option: Yes (semi-mandatory)
    Submission Deadline: September 10 (extendable to later if people need more time)

• Options
    Comments regarding the weeks levels.

Cravipat - Completely Cape-able - SMMC #7 - Runner up
    Just a neat little cape level that makes you do alot of different cape stuff. The SMW homages were great as well (definitely tickled my nostalgia bone). Was a bit short and felt more like a proof of concept level as some of the challenges were just right next to each other, but was otherwise really well done. I couldnt figure out how to get that last red coin, I assume jump from the falling platforms underneath? But you would have to time getting on and off them a bit better I think

Thanks for the comments. Proof of concept is actually what I was after so I guess that part worked out. I just wanted to try something that wasn't out to kill the player apart from the platform & saw section but even that was relatively tame. The last red coin can be gotten by cheesing the track section. Fly over that section then dive and lift to get under the vine/wall. It's tricky but if you dive a bit after the three saws you should make it.

Alternatively, there is a hidden yoshi near the flag (that I wish I would have hinted at in the level) that you can use to float down/jump off to make it.

Yoshi hint
    Jump/fly against the wall under the 10 coin ledge above the flag
    WACriminal wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Alright, whats the trick to this 1 screen level?
    The impossible level
    0SD-XV3-VHF
    I've tested out everything I can think of hiding in poison, everything pops out enough to be visible. Most things die in the poison, thought it might be boos but they don't emerge if I face 1 direction.
    Looking at the whole map view there seems to be a blue object to the left of the castle.
    Whatever it is, it makes noise. That's the purpose of the constant glitch effect, to block out whatever noise it's making. Chief suspects in that case are note blocks, bombs, and on/off switches, IMO.

This level has gotten to me. I've given up on trying to solve it but what I'm trying to figure out is how they have the beep!/glitch stinger constantly running. It can't just be filling the whole thing with SFX markers because if you stop moving the SFX stops. In this level it keeps kicking back in.

• Options
    This level has gotten to me. I've given up on trying to solve it but what I'm trying to figure out is how they have the beep!/glitch stinger constantly running. It can't just be filling the whole thing with SFX markers because if you stop moving the SFX stops. In this level it keeps kicking back in.

If you drag the sound effect/music onto Mario in the editor, it plays at all times. This is how you get music-less levels, by attaching the Silence effect to him.

• Options
    Reached A-Rank tonight in Multiplayer VS.

And I am 99% certain I will never see S-Rank, or even upper A.

• Options
    Pretty much gotta hope to never get SMW or SMB3, and always at least finish.

• Options
    Oh yeah, there is a direct today I believe. I think there is a 99% chance we at least get news of an update for SMM2. At the absolute bare minimum, we should be getting some kind of online app implementation.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Oh yeah, there is a direct today I believe. I think there is a 99% chance we at least get news of an update for SMM2. At the absolute bare minimum, we should be getting some kind of online app implementation.

SMB2 unique tileset!

What, a man can dream!

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

If you drag the sound effect/music onto Mario in the editor, it plays at all times. This is how you get music-less levels, by attaching the Silence effect to him.

That was my thought too but it only works for the music cue SFX. The others trigger on certain actions Mario takes. I did some more experimenting and putting the sound on a bullet bill cannon or pipe will cause it to play every time an item comes out. There is probably something in the poison water of that level.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Poison mushrooms sure are interesting things to mess around with. I can't do everything I want to do, (airborne poison shrooms are disappointing), but i think I have the pieces of something. I've been slowing down creatively lately so I consider any finishing submission at all a personal victory.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Just made a short little run and bounce off the koopas level in NSMBU.

Ice-Koopades
    YSH-F2Q-PXG

If anything is broken, let me know

• Options
    Something with a little more mass appeal (less opportunities to die) heres Challenge Bash #8

HH4-0JQ-WWG Night Is For Hunting
    Its open season on Goombrats. Theres one out there somewhere in the darkness. Kill it.

I'm not sure it fits the criteria, I decided to go with darkness makes it hard to find your way/prey mechanic.

• Options
    The plan was to make an easier level, but things have happened since then.

Maybe I'll be able to upload this thing eventually. I enjoy designing at the edge of my personal skill level, which makes it hard to then do all the things without dying ;)

• Options
    Challenge #8
    Looking for the Secret
    C35-1F1-PQF

This one was fun to put together and I reworked the gimmick for this one a few times before I got it right. I'm not a big fan of trollish levels so I hope I put enough hints in this to help you get through.

@Zython

• Options
    Right now, we only have two submissions for the MMCC. How are others doing? Do you need more time?

• Options
    I am working on a level, I will hopefully wrap up tonight.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I have a half-finished course, and I have no idea when I'm going to get the chance to work on it again.

I'll eventually finish it regardless (it's the next DS3 course and also qualifies for this challenge). But finishing it tonight is a tall order, as I haven't started the boss yet and only have some vague ideas how I'll make it work.

So, maybe I'll get something in, but definitely don't postpone for my sake.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I made a level, it's proving hard to upload but hopefully I'll knock it out tonight.

• Options
    As one of the two submissions I dont want to win or lose against only one other person. Whose level I cant figure out, I think I'm supposed to learn from the top how to manipulate the bottom but I keep getting that stuck noise.
    I say extend it for another week.

• Options
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    As one of the two submissions I dont want to win or lose against only one other person. Whose level I cant figure out, I think I'm supposed to learn from the top how to manipulate the bottom but I keep getting that stuck noise.
    I say extend it for another week.

I'd be fine with an extension too. Plus I like Kismitt's course better than mine anyway.

On my last check my level hasn't had any clears. After thinking about it there is something that I wish I had done. The top part is actually a giant red herring but there are some changes I could add so it becomes a better hint. Since they are only cosmetic changes I may post a picture when I get home later.

• Options
    I mean, it definitely seems like the initial interest in the game has plateaued. Maybe it would be a good idea to spread these challenges out over two weeks now to allow people who play more casually to join in?

• Options
    That might be a good idea, yeah. For my part, I've just had too much going on to really engage with the maker tools lately. When I've had time to play, it's much less taxing on my brain to just do some multi matches.