Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Check out what you can do with homing bills at 17:15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aRL6HslZRc

Also this maker has 5 worlds full of good charming levels.
    0N6-MHH-44G

That Super World recommendation is great. Really enjoying these levels.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    At some point, I want to make a super world where the first world is all SMB1 levels that are clearly incomplete, the second world is completed versions of those same levels in SMB3, the third world is those same levels in SMW except slightly damaged and filled with cannons and traps, the fourth world is those same levels in NSMB reduced to desert ruins, and the fifth world is inaccurate recreations of those levels in SM3DW.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I took some time away from Mario, but hey I made a new level

I got to the Pswitch drop at the end of this video twice, but never managed to actually grab the Pswitch for it. Got really consistent at the first half actually, but that last jump before the checkpoint seemed harder than you would think. The bit with the triple mole jump in the video was really inconsistent for me. I had a lot of trouble lining up the first jump consistently to go into the next two. If everything was moved one block farther to the right from the wall, I felt it would have been much easier to line up.

Good level though, was very enjoyable. I will try to beat it soon.

• Options
    The icicle above the moles is one tile higher so that you can tap jump to get through there easier, if you haven't tried that. Thanks for playing :)

• Options
    The hardest Mario Maker 2 level now exists. Have.......fun???

https://youtu.be/vKXSjQ8y3YY

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    The hardest Mario Maker 2 level now exists. Have.......fun???

https://youtu.be/vKXSjQ8y3YY

Man, what the hell is wrong with some course creators?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I am impressed there are not a TON of shell jumps in that one? But egads, the level of concentration needed for what seems like forever is obscene in that one.

220 hours to upload seems tame.

• Options
    If anyone is interested, they are in the 3rd week of the “4 Year Mario Maker” event which is a collection of supremely polished levels by some very creative level designers. There are some very good levels in here if that is something you are into.

4YMM link

• Options
    Wherein I continue posting levels even though obviously no one else here still plays this game

• Options
    I still play all the time.

I am actually trying to make a simple world after my original idea wasn’t going to work out.

I mostly just keep up with Rubberross who is almost done his world and I think it’s pretty solid. Excited to see how it goes when the game grumps finally have to play it.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I made a 40 course world and wanted to make a trailer out of it for fun but I cant download videos off facebook so shrug.
    It attempts to tell a story of the spinys stealing all the fire flowers and the quest to get them back.

• Options
    edited November 2020

Theres a cute little traditional/aesthetic spooky Halloween level with a haunted house, then you get spoooooked down into a little kaizo level.

Edit: I did have to reupload this because I didn't notice that I broke the horizontal scroll stop as you can see in that video :P

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Then like 15 hours of grinding later

I'm bad at full on shell levels so this one was a real grinder for me

Edit: had to reupload for decheesing, but all the previous grind served me well and it only took like 15 minutes lol

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

So I've been working on this level for goddamn ever. I'd work on it a little, get frustrated, and put it down for a few weeks. Well it's finally done. I could have tweaked it more I'm sure, but I had to stop at some point.

The primary gimmick here is Mario must escape up a tower that is flooding with (or perhaps sinking in) lava. Vertical auto-scrolling level with lava chasing you the whole way. Along the way Mario must contend with mechakoopas galore.

If anyone is still playing Mario Maker 2 here, please give it a go.

Level code: BYD-DPM-HHF

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Fun level, getting into the pipe at the end was kind of annoying with the crazy bullet spam. Thanks for posting it :)

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That is exactly the part I couldn't get right and forced myself to stop or I'd never finish it. Thanks for playing!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Finishing up that last level got my creative juices going, and I'm dipping my toes into a little project.

I wondered if anyone had ever recreated the Hudson Soft developed Super Mario Bros Special for PC in Mario Maker. It appears someone was crazy enough to do it in Mario Maker 1 for Wii U, and did so in the original Mario Bros style. But I couldn't find any indication anyone had done so in Mario Maker 2. Also, I didn't just want to reproduce someone else's reproduction of someone else's work. So I decided I would take a crack at recreating Super Mario Bros Special in the Mario 3D World style.

I have so far finished World 1. Even these relatively simple levels were challenging because the 3D World style is missing some basic parts (it doesn't even have fire bars for cripes sake). Later levels, if I keep doing these, contain enemies and power ups that haven't been in any other mainline Mario game, and will require some creativity to replicate.

In any case, if you would care to try it out, the first four levels are below.

9v2n6cxttxks.jpg
    mopv52iitzm2.jpg
    g1mb7faix5q0.jpg
    rqty6db0ekf7.jpg

I also made a Super World out of them, if you would like to try it that way. My Creator ID is 6YS-Q77-WSF.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I've been working on a Super Mario Special level for a while but mine is more meantrue to the original.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdK9glgQEjA

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    I’m totally going to check those out zero, great idea!

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    I've been working on a Super Mario Special level for a while but mine is more meantrue to the original.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdK9glgQEjA

That is fan-fuckin-tastic. I was wondering if there could be a way to implement the single-screen nature of SMB Special, very clever!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    That is exactly the part I couldn't get right and forced myself to stop or I'd never finish it. Thanks for playing!

Woah, thread still going. Fine I'll play a level....not yours unfortunately Ah_Pook, I dont have 150+ Mario lives worth of time at the moment to put into one of them, although some of them look very fun.

Zero, that vertical autoscroll level was very neat. Jumps felt good. Maybe the last bit you could have removed some red mechakoopas and put in like 2 blue ones? You would still get most of the challenge but probably cut down on alot of the bullet spam? One other very minor quibble that doesn't matter that much and didn't really take anything away but would probably help make a level flow better.
    The part where the blue mechakoopa had to blow the floor away and then you immediately jump on the remaining floor should have been moved up the level a bit. You have that same general mechanic used a couple more times right after this one, but those ones were "easier" to handle so they probably should have been used to introduce the concept of how that mechanic actually works. I didn't realize at first that it would stop about halfway through the floor and since you basically have to jump immediately after the path is cleared due to how the autoscrolls function, I died thinking that it would go all the way across the screen. Had you put the other instances of the mechakoopas clearing blocks first, I could have seen how it works without having to then immediately die for not being prepared. If you moved that "harder" element to later in the level, then the difficulty progresses a bit more naturally and you have more of an inclination for how that part is going to work going in blind to it. Overall, a minor issue since it wouldn't change any jumps you put in, just the order of them. A very good level still.

• Options
    I think you are totally right on those blue mechakoopas. I always find myself falling into this trap where elements of a level seem easy because I already know what's coming, and it's hard to get into the headspace of someone going in blind. I gotta say one thing that would really make Mario Maker shine is an ability to collaborate on level designs within the game, have multiple creators edit the same level. Maybe some day.

Thanks for your feedback!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Here is World 2 of the Hudson Soft developed Super Mario Bros Special for PC reimagined in the Mario 3D World Style. Starting to run into even more challenges with the limited Mario 3D World toolset. Weirdly, despite having climbable trees, there are no vines! That seems like such a basic part, yet it is not to be found. So I had to get creative with the ol' vine to the bonus area in the sky. Secondly, while you can have jumping fish in 3D World, they don't jump particularly high. I had to squish the level down vertically quite a bit in order for the jumping fish to actually be an obstacle. Finally, in the old Mario Bros games Bowser was the boss to every world. That would be pretty boring here, but I also didn't want to just recycle Boom Boom / Pom Pom over and over either. So I put together a Bully fight for the end of 2-4. Not sure what I'll do for the remaining worlds (if I do them at all).

An upcoming challenge will be how to simulate Lakitu since he doesn't exist in the 3D World toolset. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

28wcqq1yn0rs.jpg
    2d4m7ss6scin.jpg
    oiprelg3130l.jpg
    jo8o7tvvwd0j.jpg

If you would like to play through all 8 levels in Super World format, My Creator ID is 6YS-Q77-WSF.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Here's 8 more levels (worlds 3 and 4) of Super Mario Bros Special. I guess since I've converted half the game now, I might as well do the whole thing.

5hxd02i5a3vb.jpg
    qlwm1qd9w9fq.jpg
    tuplhrwj9cvl.jpg
    zo2bm3p52k0x.jpg
    2ei91e7yd87e.jpg
    qrgrk8kf7blm.jpg
    ltr7hx71alj7.jpg
    qqz8wdj4n6dj.jpg

At this rate it might be easier to get at these by looking up my Creator ID (6YS-Q77-WSF). You can also play a Super World of all 16 levels.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Props to @AbsoluteZero for keeping the MM2 dream alive.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Hey Ross (of Game Grumps fame) finally released his collaboration MM2 world.

Given some of the nightmare levels he made Arin and Dan go through last time, this should be great. You can play the levels now!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I really wish Mario Maker 2 would let you overlap pipes like Mario Maker 1 did. It would also be nice if pipes could take you to another part of the same area (like a door would) instead of forcing you to bounce between the primary area and sub area. It makes pipe mazes a headache to convert. I'm surprised I was able to get the 4-4 pipe maze working. Looking ahead 7-4 is a real doozy though, that one might break me when I get to it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ross’ level design improved drastically over the course of him doing this for like 8 months. He even updated a few of the older builds for the world. Some are still the Ross special of kind of just bs, but he has a lot of really well done gems in there that are just genuinely hard.

Worth checking out his world for sure, but beyond the first 3 levels or so it get pretty rough.

• Options
    It is finished.
    1n2gok0rja7r.jpg
    zefnubvxycrw.jpg
    pgzl53z4dc3a.jpg
    ymzyfrvwkh73.jpg
    hkmeyjmotnxr.jpg

All 32 levels of the Hudson Soft developed Super Mario Bros Special for PC, converted to the Mario 3D World style. I tried to be as faithful to the original as possible, though obviously not everything could be converted 1:1 (SMB Special contained enemies and powerups that don't exist in the mainline Mario series, for example). In any case, I had a lot of fun with this project. I hope everyone enjoys playing it as much as I enjoyed making it!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome stuff! I can't wait to play through :)

• Options
    I’m almost done Ross’ world. I’ll try yours next.

Well I’m on world 8. That could very much take as long as the rest combined.

• Options

What 805 hours of MM2 gets you, if you're me and learning kaizo stuff completely from scratch

• Options
    I cannot kaizo to save my life but I'll be damned if it isn't fun to watch.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I see videos like that and all I see is screaming wrist nerves

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891