As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    All autoplay levels could spawn you directly over a spring that immediately bumps you into the goal and I would be equally as impressed by them. I would at least appreciate that they wasted less of my time.

I do think it's kinda funny that Mario Maker was marketed as a way to create the Mario levels of your dreams, and apparently a LOT of people's dreams are levels that play nothing like Mario.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Auto play levels and levels with weird arcane mechanics that the original games never made you use were all over the hacking scene for stuff like SMW, so I’m not at all surprised.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Gamexplain has some hands on info. Interesting that there’s no amiibo support and no mystery mushroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhE3VJTSLQ

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    There seem to be conflicting reports over whether you can play levels online with friends or if you are stuck with randoms. Unfortunately with Nintendo, the latter is a very real possibility.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    All autoplay levels could spawn you directly over a spring that immediately bumps you into the goal and I would be equally as impressed by them. I would at least appreciate that they wasted less of my time.

I do think it's kinda funny that Mario Maker was marketed as a way to create the Mario levels of your dreams, and apparently a LOT of people's dreams are levels that play nothing like Mario.
    For me, it's a bit daunting that there already exist a ton of professional Mario levels within each of the themes presented - in the games Nintendo made and shipped using those mechanics.

I can't possibly improve on that by making levels with the same sort of concepts in mind. At best, I can riff off a bunch of the things that they've done and just change the order or presentation a bit.

What I can do, though, is bring in design concepts from similar games. Adding some Metroid, a little Castlevania, and a touch of Wizards & Warriors provides for legitimately new experiences in the Mario engine. It's challenging to push the tools in this manner, especially to try to make an end result that's fun for the player, and it's the most honest way to put a personal creative touch into each course.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

For me, it's a bit daunting that there already exist a ton of professional Mario levels within each of the themes presented - in the games Nintendo made and shipped using those mechanics.

I can't possibly improve on that by making levels with the same sort of concepts in mind
    . At best, I can riff off a bunch of the things that they've done and just change the order or presentation a bit.

What I can do, though, is bring in design concepts from similar games. Adding some Metroid, a little Castlevania, and a touch of Wizards & Warriors provides for legitimately new experiences in the Mario engine. It's challenging to push the tools in this manner, especially to try to make an end result that's fun for the player, and it's the most honest way to put a personal creative touch into each course.

Please remove this concept from your mind. You can make better levels than professionals, it's just that they are really good and set the standards high. But that doesn't mean you can't reach or exceed them.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I can't possibly improve on that by making levels with the same sort of concepts in mind
    . At best, I can riff off a bunch of the things that they've done and just change the order or presentation a bit.

Please remove this concept from your mind. You can make better levels than professionals, it's just that they are really good and set the standards high. But that doesn't mean you can't reach or exceed them.

Hell, sometimes even Nintendo makes some levels that fall short of what I typically expect from them. And I don't let the fact that there are thousands of better artists out there prevent me from drawing my own pictures.

• Options
    edited May 2019

It's not a mere question of quality but rather range of content.

I'm sure I could make a great "Mario-style" game. But to do that, I'd want to be able to design my own components to use in the courses. Each Mario game presents a set of components that are then investigated and used in accordance with that design by the professionals.

They rarely leave any space open for those components within the "Mario-style" approach. There's a few exceptions, like the Mario 3 shoe, but most things get pretty thoroughly examined and utilized in a wide range of applications.

That means, if I use those same components in the same "Mario-style" approach, I'm just riffing off the professional levels. Even if I manage some marginal degree of improvement, it's still just renditions of what's been done already.

Each Mario game adds new components and then makes use of them to create fresh experiences. That's why they're fun, and that's why the series is mostly still great even after all these years.

To be fair, in MM2 we do actually have a couple of at least new-ish components to play with. So, there's a little bit of room to explore those in the classic style, and I'm sure I'll toy with that for a couple levels.

But for the most part? I want to explore these components used in other style games. I had a lot of luck in the original applying Mario mechanics to Metroid or Wizards & Warriors dungeon-style approach, and it suits my personal design aesthetic. I'm excited to do more of that, because I don't think I anywhere near finished exploring those ideas the first time around. And now there's so many new toys! With the "collect X coins" goal, it's possible to pretty authentically recreate the W&W experience of collecting gems to open the exit door, with all the revisiting and secret-searching implied by those activities. And the keys came along so late last time that I only used them a couple ways before. And the vertical sub worlds is the #1 thing that I wanted with the original. Now that I have it, I can make so many courses I had envisioned but couldn't implement!

This is going to be awesome.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I am proud of my levels. I'd do things like make little machines in the background and try to do story stuff. Like Mario does a raid on a tower but its abandoned/ a trap.

I did traditional stuff too.

Don't limit yourself

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I guess it isn't technically confirmed by Nintendo 100% but a reliable source has stated that Mario Maker 2 will not allow you to play with friends in multiplayer. The reasoning is the leaderboard thing but ffs, Nintendo always gets the one thing wrong.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Some good stuff in that video, but also some really baffling decisions. No Mystery Mushrooms? BUT HOW WILL I PLAY AS JUMP GIRL?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Annnnnnnnd verified now. :(

We Verified It: Super Mario Maker 2 Won't Allow Online Multiplayer with Friends

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I...

Thats just fucking baffling.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Annnnnnnnd verified now. :(

We Verified It: Super Mario Maker 2 Won't Allow Online Multiplayer with Friends

That is really silly. Just patch the option in and make Leaderboards disabled when playing with friends. Problem solved!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Nintendo must be downright afraid of local multiplayer becoming obsolete or something. There's no good reason to continuously handicap themselves like this. They already did the hard part of netcode for a precision platformer and then punted on the home stretch of matchmaking.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    So, what's up with the no Amiibo support. That's also odd - is it a rights issue?

Like, at the very least, they could import the Nintendo character sprites from the previous game pretty easily?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Basically every other multiplayer game ever has solved this problem. I can't comprehend this.

I'm not playing with randos.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Yeah, professional Mario games are highly polished, but also quite limited in what they set out to do. There's actually a ton of design space that they aren't interested in exploring, either because it's just not their style or because it involves fudging a few things or playing a bit loose with the design in ways they aren't comfortable with.

We had a thread where we ran Mario Maker contests. Someone would name a theme or restriction, and everyone would make a level that fit it. We collectively produced a TON of levels that we're really fun, really interesting, and totally unlike anything Nintendo has made or is likely to make in the future. It's easier to do than you think. Oddball themes, pseudo-narrative elements, clever mechanisms that subvert the components' intended use...there's tons you can do. It was probably the most fun I had that console generation.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Just so we're all clear, I will totally be bringing back our PA weekly course challenges. Originally, I decided a theme or restriction and everyone did there thing. Later, we changed it to the winner would come up with a new theme. We'll be sticking to that approach again, although the winner can always default back to me if they don't want to come up with themes or restrictions.

We'll probably wait until the game is out for a few weeks so everyone can become accustom to it before going in to design competition mode.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Nintendo must be downright afraid of local multiplayer becoming obsolete or something. There's no good reason to continuously handicap themselves like this. They already did the hard part of netcode for a precision platformer and then punted on the home stretch of matchmaking.

This is the company that created Friend Codes, then got rid of them after it became clear everybody hated them and they were stupid

and then brought them back again in 20-godamn-17 and still has them even with an entirely new network infrastructure in 20-fuckingshitdamn-19

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

This is the company that created Friend Codes, then got rid of them after it became clear everybody hated them and they were stupid

and then brought them back again in 20-godamn-17 and still has them even with an entirely new network infrastructure in 20-fuckingshitdamn-19

Nintendo: Oh did you think online was going to be good now that you're paying for it? Yeah.... about that..... boy, this is awkward.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Well that's fucking stupid.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Nintendo: Oh did you think online was going to be good now that you're paying for it? Yeah.... about that..... boy, this is awkward.

But it's cheap, that means it's okay for it to be shitty.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Seems like there's a good amount of heat building with games press about the online friends stuff.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    This seems like the kind of thing that could kick their review scores right in the dick.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    For me online co-op will always be a glorified extra. If people want to riot to force Nintendo to implement it, more power to them, but I'm not focusing on that part of the experience at all.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Their conclusion is probably going to be that they shouldn't have implemented 4-player at all, and from their perspective that's probably not even wrong. They added a hundred new things, and people would be happier if they had only added 99.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah SMM was always about the levels first. So this is just a small loss of something that we never even had yet.

IMO when it comes to making levels, you can't compare your ideas to what has already been done. Make a level you love, and just hope others love it too. I still love most of the levels I made in the Wii U game outside of a few that were done with no time like the IMM ones. I often go back and play them here and there and enjoy it. Especially the ones I went back and did an improvement pass on plus added some kind of secret. I liked levels that felt like something you wanted to explore and not just experience some new gimmick. That kind of design IMO never has to worry about what is done before, because every single one is a new experience.

I guess in short, don't overthink it. Just make something you love and someone else will love it too. Unfortunately even if it is an auto level >_>

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This seems like the kind of thing that could kick their review scores right in the dick.

I really doubt it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It feels like the kind of thing that will get patched because the complaints will be loud enough to make a difference

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    It feels like the kind of thing that will get patched because the complaints will be loud enough to make a difference

As much as I want to believe this is true... It's more likely that we'll just end up dealing with it.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

the removal of the amiibo/mystery costumes is actually way more disappointing though

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    And here I am, thinking costumes literally added nothing to the game.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They added Baby Metal

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Collecting the mystery mushroom costumes was the thing about MM that kept my interest the longest. The ones they added were a nice reward for special event courses too.

MM2 has very little for me without them, I'm afraid. Now correct me if I'm wrong.... are costumes still in there but without amiibo support?

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I liked using them with themed courses. And it was nice to be able to play as something other than Mario all the time.

I wonder if you can choose from the multiplayer models in single player? It would be nice to just be able to be Toadette whenever.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Just so we're all clear, I will totally be bringing back our PA weekly course challenges. Originally, I decided a theme or restriction and everyone did there thing. Later, we changed it to the winner would come up with a new theme. We'll be sticking to that approach again, although the winner can always default back to me if they don't want to come up with themes or restrictions.

We'll probably wait until the game is out for a few weeks so everyone can become accustom to it before going in to design competition mode.

I will SO be back for this! Mark my words! Those contests were so much fun, and my only regret is that I wasn't there from the very beginning, and that it eventually died.

Djiem on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Watching the clips of multiplayer, seeing a lot of stuff like clown cars respawn on a super fast timer. I hope that behavior can be disabled somehow, because it's going to ruin so much design space for multiplayer levels if not.

The embargo lifting has been mostly bad news, it seems.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Watching the clips of multiplayer, seeing a lot of stuff like clown cars respawn on a super fast timer. I hope that behavior can be disabled somehow, because it's going to ruin so much design space for multiplayer levels if not.

The embargo lifting has been mostly bad news, it seems.

It seems that way, but nah, there's still a lot of great stuff to look forward to. People are upset about the multiplayer (which is fair), but the core of the game is solid.

To put some perspective on things, people would probably have bought this if there had been no multiplayer in the first place, because that wasn't really the primary point of the game. So yes, it's a very silly decision to not have 'play online with friends' as a feature (and a very Nintendo thing to do), but I wouldn't (personally) call it a deal breaker.

edzepp on