As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Orca wrote: »
    Where did you get a second gauss rifle?!

A flashpoint reward gave me two of them with a set of ammo for each.

Edit: I'm sad no one has posted this yet:

2jy5vd.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hey everybody.

I've got an Atlas with a Gauss Rifle and an AC20 on it (Battletech). Lookatmeeee!

Edit: and 2 pulse ML's, and 2 6SRMs.
    Now I have two of them.

What system were you in when you found the Atlas(es)? I'm still trying to work my way into Assaults (not that I don't love my Orions).

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Hey everybody.

I've got an Atlas with a Gauss Rifle and an AC20 on it (Battletech). Lookatmeeee!

Edit: and 2 pulse ML's, and 2 6SRMs.
    Now I have two of them.

What system were you in when you found the Atlas(es)? I'm still trying to work my way into Assaults (not that I don't love my Orions).

The first one I got when I decapitated the damaged Atlas "scout" during a flashpoint vs House Steiner. The one where you have to take the occupied planet back from Lyrian forces. I can't remember where it exactly is. The second I got from various missions involving Lyrian forces in both theirs and Federated Suns territories.

I choose the salvage over the money every time, and I have a fully upgraded ship with over 20 mechs and 7 .5 million in the bank at 403 days remaining, so it seems to be working. And that's with mech perma-death to boot.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    These reasons are why I want to start a Career run right after I finally finish the campaign. I'm hoping some 4-star contracts will start yielding Assaults.

I've got 2/3 of a Banshee (the variant that doesn't suck but has all energy hardpoints) and some other various salvage, but I have yet to see one in the field (or trust me, I'd be taking multiple headshots to get it).

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    These reasons are why I want to start a Career run right after I finally finish the campaign. I'm hoping some 4-star contracts will start yielding Assaults.

I've got 2/3 of a Banshee (the variant that doesn't suck but has all energy hardpoints) and some other various salvage, but I have yet to see one in the field (or trust me, I'd be taking multiple headshots to get it).

You should be able to find some Assaults in any "Class of the Titans" mission, and 4 skull Assassinations and 4.5 and 5 skull missions of other types.

Career mode would actually give you less chances to find an Assault: in Career mode, the skull ratings of ever system are static and there are far fewer 4 and 5 skull systems than there area in a post-Campaign game.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Question

So it's been suggested that 40 and 60 ton mechs are (or at least feel) almost strictly worse than 35 and 55 ton mechs, due to not getting enough in exchange for losing an initiative.

Does the same hold true for the 80 ton mechs?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Question

So it's been suggested that 40 and 60 ton mechs are (or at least feel) almost strictly worse than 35 and 55 ton mechs, due to not getting enough in exchange for losing an initiative.

Does the same hold true for the 80 ton mechs?

It's pretty easy: just look at the Payload column here: https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Battlemechs#Assault_2

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Apparently I can do well my MRM Catapult
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

I also managed to end the game completely out of ammo and a very naked paper doll.

Which considering it's XL...

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Holy cow that is insane!!! Talk about an insane amount of damage dealt.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that
    htm wrote: »

You should be able to find some Assaults in any "Class of the Titans" mission, and 4 skull Assassinations and 4.5 and 5 skull missions of other types.

Career mode would actually give you less chances to find an Assault: in Career mode, the skull ratings of ever system are static and there are far fewer 4 and 5 skull systems than there area in a post-Campaign game.

You can actually run into them occasionally on missions where they talk about a heavy mech off by it's lonesome trap missions; I was beyond infuriated when I came across a highlander with pretty much my starting lance and knew that I couldn't afford to try and take it for salvage since even with it missing 2/3rds of it's armor it still had way too much firepower to waste time with.

Couldn't even justify taking the 1/3rd salvage since I had no idea when I'd see another one.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I tried scumming an assassinate mission to try to get an Atlas to spawn. Managed as high as a Banshee, but I'm moving forward with a different save that got me a Cataphract and a Victor.

I'll likely scrap the Victor but I'm wasting too much time and starting to not enjoy myself.

I'm hoping for another Highlander soon, but having fun with my current lance of Orions, Highlander, Battlemaster, and a Awesome with 2*PPC and 2*LL (all 4 energy weaps with bonuses).

I've also got a vanilla pilot on board I'm thinking of going Multitarget + Sensor Lock + Master Tactician (if that's a build; I'm not at my desktop). This way he'll have some value as a long range support at early levels but also have some versatility at higher levels.

I've also only got one Master Tac in my high level team so I'd like another.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Save scumming basically isn't worth it. There will be more mechs.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I had one early mission where it felt like save scumming was worth it. The mission surprised me with 3, low armor thunderbolts, and with a good salvage roll it meant scoring a very early, and decent heavy for the run. Wasted a good amount of time on it and never got the damn thunderbolt anyway.

In other news, it's so nice when your career run normalizes out: you got medium mechs galore, healthy people, and enough money to sit comfortable for awhile.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    So now I have:
    1 Atlas with Gauss + AC20, 2 med pulse, 2 6SRM
    1 Atlas with mostly stock setup (upgraded weapons) and ECM in place of some armor and a few med lasers
    1 Banshee with Gauss, ER PPC, a bunch of med lasers, a Star-League era large laser that does +20 damage and about 5 double heatsinks
    1 Catapult with two LRM 20's a damage upgraded LRM 10 and a med laser. Most of the med lasers in this lance are either damage or crit upgraded (or both).

This team absolutely shreds any lance under a five star rating in less than two turns.

It might take 3 or 4 for a 5 star rating.

Lot's of 1 shot kills from full health, lot's of ending defend holdout missions with like 9 turns left. It is glorious.

Edit: I also have a fully decked out Hatchetman, a Star-League era Griffin, the ECM Suite Raven, a specialized hero Crab, and a couple AC20 Urbies that I can pull out at a moments notice if I need a lower tonnage rating, along with like 20 other mechs.

I'm doing pretty good, this playthrough.

Oh and the name of our company is Black Hatchet. Our colors are black and red, and also black. Our sigil is crossed hatchets over a black field. Our Commander is Castigan Costus callsign Hatchet 6, an exile from the Draconis Combine, and WE WILL fuck your shit up... for money!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm kind of appreciating the victor as an early game get as mech's go. Sure it has a lousy innitaitve and can't be quite as heavily armored as a comparably armed Orion, but the value of a jump capable assault mech with reasonably good speed Makes it formidable as a brawler/ambusher and the Kaliyama AC20 with extra damage means that even if I didn't have an extra 20 damage on it I still blast through anything but the heaviest armor in a single hit. Further, I've domed so many mechs with it by this point that I'm tempted to name it Hannibal Lecter.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I also just got a Cyclops and put like 7 6SRM in it just to be funny, but it actually works well as long as I include a heat exchanger and a +missile tac computer. It has a higher max damage output than a stock Atlas.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I just went from 0 Highlanders to 2 Highlanders of both variants and an extra Banshee in a single mission. Lol I'm so filthy rich this run. Choosing max salvage every time is def the way to go in Battletech (which sounds weird, I know. It's against the mercenary code of always going for the cash). Last game I struggled till the end this game I'm sitting on 11 million C-bills and a huge inventory of mechs with nothing to really spend it on, I have everything. The mechs and mech parts you sell are always way more money than you would have gotten otherwise (also make sure you're selling extra weapons and equipment. If you havent thought of that before you're probably sitting on close to a million in heat sinks and jump jets alone). Just make sure you're actually selling them at stations and aren't just scrapping them, you get much less for scrapping than for selling to friendly factions.

I'm very excited about this playthrough. Gonna have to bump it up to like 5 or so salvage per mech just to make it interesting next run. Then I'm gonna move on to Roguetech.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I use small lasers as holiday bonuses for my mechwarriors.
    Just hide them under their seats in the briefing room.
    "You get a laser! And YOU get a laser! And you get... a box full of bees! ...seriously, you can do better. Learn how to dodge, the techs are getting sick of your shit."

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

I also managed to end the game completely out of ammo and a very naked paper doll.

Oh neat, they added a damage taken field to the result screen

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I'm working on Highlander #2. Had a shot at a Stalker in the same mission but I want another Highlander. The one I have now from the story mission is the backbone of my main lance

• Options
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

Yeah I find it weird when the match ends and I swap the two. No idea why they decided to add that stat.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

So does anyone else get Twitter link broken from time to time when clicked on? It does somewhat bug me that I can't see what the Twitter link is about till I click on it and it breaks.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Hell yeah.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

Yeah I find it weird when the match ends and I swap the two. No idea why they decided to add that stat.

Back when I cared about the balance in MWO and PGI was still pretending to, it would be an important stat to show durability of mechs, especially to compare more durable vs more offensive builds.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

Back when I cared about the balance in MWO and PGI was still pretending to, it would be an important stat to show durability of mechs, especially to compare more durable vs more offensive builds.

Ahhh yeah that would be useful. Would also be nice to see it show up on the all list to see who did their job as a damage soaker.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

It's also a good metric to know for personal performance reasons. If you're getting cored out after only taking ~100 damage, that means you probably need to twist more often. If you're piloting a 60t heavy and soaked up 400-500 damage? That'll do, mechwarrior...that'll do.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

It's also a good metric to know for personal performance reasons. If you're getting cored out after only taking ~100 damage, that means you probably need to twist more often. If you're piloting a 60t heavy and soaked up 400-500 damage? That'll do, mechwarrior...that'll do.

This makes me wonder how much damage I can soak up as a Light...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

I thought you were supposed to be Mech Neo in a light?

• Options
    liafx1fu51ad.jpg

Look at it this way:

A little over 100 damage in the ECM Flea = 1 leg blown off (the other stripped down to internals), both arms blown off, and a side torso rekt from both front and back. If you still have one side torso with armor on it (or, heaven forbid, your CT), twist harder!

8-)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Errr, one side torso gone and the Flea is dead. What? Doesn't everyone run lights with XL Engines?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Errr, one side torso gone and the Flea is dead. What? Doesn't everyone run lights with XL Engines?

Gotta get all torso slots stripped of all armor before you let one of them pop. Thus sayeth the guy who routinely stares down people with max dakka k.crab and gets damage to only his CT...

• Options

Gotta get all torso slots stripped of all armor before you let one of them pop. Thus sayeth the guy who routinely stares down people with max dakka k.crab and gets damage to only his CT...

True, but a 20t versus an Assault usually means one shot will do just that. Especially if it is an AC20. I've seen Piranhas and Fleas reduced to just their legs with a mean alpha.

Padre would tell us all to run XLs in our King Crabs since he swore the same thing. That the King Crab is all CT. I never saw that, but he did.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    https://twitter.com/BATTLETECH_Game/status/1184559637149954055

470 tons of new mechs in Heavy Metal. That's ... at least 5 new mechs, then? :P

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

6 variants of the Maurader plus one Flea.

Personally hoping they aren't counting variants in that number.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    If it's just 5 mechs I'm going to be a bit put out.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

2 Orca variants and one Archer.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Hey @Erlkönig you forgot to remind me. It is Oosik Night tonight!

Man, I've been so out of it at work I keep on forgetting what day of the week each day is.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Charger 80
    Marauder 75
    Warhammer 70
    Archer 70
    Rifleman 60
    Pheonix Hawk 45
    Assassin 40
    Javelin 30

I'd feel kinda cheated if they were counting variants, and I'm pretty sure they could hit 470 with just the Warhammer, Archer and Marauder. Since those have been in the game since Beta, feels like they could add some more. Have they said if there was going to be another in-house mech like the Hatchetman?

• Options
    Hey "Erlkönig" you forgot to remind me. It is Oosik Night tonight!

Man, I've been so out of it at work I keep on forgetting what day of the week each day is.

I figured I had another 3 hours before I needed to remind you.

By the by, my brother says he's running behind schedule for Bro Gaming Night...so chances are good I'll be mechwarring tonight.