As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Charger 80
    Marauder 75
    Warhammer 70
    Archer 70
    Rifleman 60
    Pheonix Hawk 45
    Assassin 40
    Javelin 30

I'd feel kinda cheated if they were counting variants, and I'm pretty sure they could hit 470 with just the Warhammer, Archer and Marauder. Since those have been in the game since Beta, feels like they could add some more. Have they said if there was going to be another in-house mech like the Hatchetman?
    Charger 80
    Marauder 75
    Warhammer 70
    Archer 70
    Rifleman 60
    Pheonix Hawk 45
    Assassin 40
    Javelin 30

I'd feel kinda cheated if they were counting variants, and I'm pretty sure they could hit 470 with just the Warhammer, Archer and Marauder. Since those have been in the game since Beta, feels like they could add some more. Have they said if there was going to be another in-house mech like the Hatchetman?

Wait.....Archer, Marauder and Warhammer are already in the game? Why have I never seen one yet?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Charger 80
    Marauder 75
    Warhammer 70
    Archer 70
    Rifleman 60
    Pheonix Hawk 45
    Assassin 40
    Javelin 30

Javelins already in game and I can't imagine why they'd include the assassin of all things given that it's a terrible mech by any metrics. Clint maybe?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Wait.....Archer, Marauder and Warhammer are already in the game? Why have I never seen one yet?

No, HBS had the models in game back in early beta. They were removed prior to release due to the legal issues at the time.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    TIL in-universe Ford Motor Company made Battlemechs at one point.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'll be around for Oosik night tonight after I get back from a movie!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

GM, too.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Charger 80
    Marauder 75
    Warhammer 70
    Archer 70
    Rifleman 60
    Pheonix Hawk 45
    Assassin 40
    Javelin 30

Javelins already in game and I can't imagine why they'd include the assassin of all things given that it's a terrible mech by any metrics. Clint maybe?

They might surprise us with another in house design like the Clint, but for the more likely to appear existing MWO mechs that are still out there for 3025, the list isn't that long.

Flea 20
    Assassin 40
    Vulcan 40
    Phoenix Hawk 45
    Dervish 55
    Champion 60
    Rifleman 60
    Archer 70
    Warhammer 70
    Marauder 75
    Charger 80
    Marauder II 100
    Erlkönig wrote: »

GM, too.

Sadly GM don't seem to be on pace to create the first self-sustaining fusion reactor by 2020.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Apparently Boeing and Rolls-Royce too. I like that. It makes sense that some of these companies would propagate at least somewhat into the future should humanity take this route.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Apparently Boeing and Rolls-Royce too. I like that. It makes sense that some of these companies would propagate at least somewhat into the future should humanity take this route.

So, flipping through my Battletech: Crescent Hawks' Revenge manual, looks like Nissan gets tired of people talking up the Skyline and goes into making Hunchbacks. Also, the Triads got bored of criming and instead go into mech-building shenanigans and make the Stalker.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So, trying this a bit more, got up to the first priority mission. So, um, am I missing something or are the Light mechs you get at the beginning kind of bad except at punching folks? Like they can only field a minimum amount of weaponry in a game where enemies seem reasonably soaky, are made of paper mache, and their only real advantage is being able to move a lot, but that seems of limited utility unless you're using them to spot for missiles? At this point, my Spider has spent so much more time punching dudes than shooting that honestly I just want to give it a sword.

Also, I noticed I'm getting ammo packs as salvage. Should I be worrying about ammo between missions, or are these just mid-battle recharges, XCOM style?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Drascin wrote: »
    So, trying this a bit more, got up to the first priority mission. So, um, am I missing something or are the Light mechs you get at the beginning kind of bad except at punching folks? Like they can only field a minimum amount of weaponry in a game where enemies seem reasonably soaky, are made of paper mache, and their only real advantage is being able to move a lot, but that seems of limited utility unless you're using them to spot for missiles? At this point, my Spider has spent so much more time punching dudes than shooting that honestly I just want to give it a sword.

Also, I noticed I'm getting ammo packs as salvage. Should I be worrying about ammo between missions, or are these just mid-battle recharges, XCOM style?

The Raven is pretty good if you put a bunch of upgraded small lasers on it. Basically turns into a sawed off shotgun. Same basic idea applies for Hatchetman although that's a medium.

Also ammo is automatically refilled for free between missions as long as the tonnage slots remain intact. Say you use all your ammo in a mission, afterwards you'll still have all that ammo and when you start a new mission it will be back to full. The only way you lose ammo is if it gets blown up or you scrap/sell it. If an ammo slot get's blown up in combat then you have to replace it with what you have in the stockpile. All ammo for each weapon type is the same, theres no LRM Ammo++ for example. Basically keep enough to cover whatever repairs you think your mechs will need and sell the rest. Don't worry too much about stockpiling, you'll get plenty as salvage after missions.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Charger 80
    Marauder 75
    Warhammer 70
    Archer 70
    Rifleman 60
    Pheonix Hawk 45
    Assassin 40
    Javelin 30

Charger 80
    Marauder 75
    Warhammer 70
    Archer 70
    Rifleman 60
    Pheonix Hawk 45
    Assassin 40
    Javelin 30

They’re only in if you run mods. The community asset bundle contains a metric fuckton of ‘Mechs, some using PGI models of yet-to-be included ‘Mechs, and a lot of community-created assets.

The Archer, Marauder, and Warhammer from the mod use PGI models.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019

The problem early on isn't the mechs as much as the low level pilots. So very early on it does often feel like you are better off punching than taking low chance shots. Fortunately, you can build around that if you wish by adding some small lasers or machine guns that fire automatically after a melee, boosting the damage output of a punchbot for little heat investment. Small lasers and machine guns also ignore evasion, so their hit chance is higher too.

Ammo bins are not ammo, they are the box mounted in the mech you put your ammo in. The more ammo bins you install in your mech, the more of that ammo type you take into a mission. Ammo bins are shared for all weapons of that matching type. I.e, a single LRM ammo bin can feed multiple LRM launchers. All ammo and armor refill for free after a mission.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    OOSIK NIGHT EARLY!!!

The dropship forgot that it was 15 minutes later but kicked me out anyways.

@Erlkönig @Elvenshae @TOGSolid @Maijinamuro @Nobody

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I’ll be on soonish.

• Options
    That was the weirdest Rubellite Oasis match I've ever seen. I had to keep looking around me to make sure there wasn't anybody (friendly or enemy) lighting me up with flamers every single time I fired my weapons. I don't think I ever dropped under 80% heat (even while repositioning and wasn't firing), and chain-firing my SRM6es didn't help prevent overheat damage. Definitely feels like there was a bug with how heat worked on that one.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    My first deck in FW tonight involved my WHM-IIC-4 (4xLRM-20 with 9.5 tons of ammo) and a TBR-PRIME (4xLRM-15 with around 10-11 tons of ammo).

I ejected out of both mechs after I ran dry on ammo.

Man did I feel dirty after that one.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    My first deck in FW tonight involved my WHM-IIC-4 (4xLRM-20 with 9.5 tons of ammo) and a TBR-PRIME (4xLRM-15 with around 10-11 tons of ammo).

I ejected out of both mechs after I ran dry on ammo.

Man did I feel dirty after that one.

Long ago I would have hated you for doing that. These days, eh... Take whatever you can get. Hahahahaha!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Most light mechs mout minimal weaponry and armor, but the trade off is that they tend to be super nimble which allows them to control spacing and outflank or escape heavier enemy mechs.

That having been said, light mechs are absolutely not something to dismiss as harmless; at range a panther can be just as dangerous as a fair number of mediums due to it's ppc and solid armor, a jenner in the hands of a good pilot can bring the pain to mech's twice it's size and god help you if a firestarter is able to close with you and your mech isn't a block of ice.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

Most light mechs mout minimal weaponry and armor, but the trade off is that they tend to be super nimble which allows them to control spacing and outflank or escape heavier enemy mechs.

That having been said, light mechs are absolutely not something to dismiss as harmless; at range a panther can be just as dangerous as a fair number of mediums due to it's ppc and solid armor, a jenner in the hands of a good pilot can bring the pain to mech's twice it's size and god help you if a firestarter is able to close with you and your mech isn't a block of ice.

Yeah, but you start with a Locust and a Spider. You can pretty much dismiss them as harmless, especially compared to the fairly good mediums you get right away. They could've gone with a bit more interesting 5 mechs IMO, having two bad lights and three decent/great mediums seems the wrong way around to me.

Anyways as long as you are using the Spider you should remove 2 jump jets from it and add a ton of armor. Unlike more extensive refits that doesn't even take any time.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Heh, I feel like I always have to defend the Spider in this thread! In BT, (IMO) the Spider is good for tanking fire and also stomping the shit out of vehicles -it makes vehicle heavy maps and convoy missions milk runs. And it can take a surprising beating and still be a threat, even with the stock loadout. The bad news is it does little damage per round, and in a game where the difficulty is created by swarming the player with enemies...that's obviously an issue.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

Yeah, but you start with a Locust and a Spider. You can pretty much dismiss them as harmless, especially compared to the fairly good mediums you get right away. They could've gone with a bit more interesting 5 mechs IMO, having two bad lights and three decent/great mediums seems the wrong way around to me.

Anyways as long as you are using the Spider you should remove 2 jump jets from it and add a ton of armor. Unlike more extensive refits that doesn't even take any time.

That spider consistently does good work for me. It really shouldn't, since it's firepower is anemic and it's armor is nothing to get excited about, but every fresh campaign I start with that blinking thing it consistently fights and wins when it really shouldn't; I've killed kintaros, centurions, hunchbacks and even the pirate gunslinger you run into real early with that thing.

• Options
    Now that we've gotten some praise for the humble Spider, could we next find somebody who thinks Cicada-2A is great? :P

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    That was the weirdest Rubellite Oasis match I've ever seen. I had to keep looking around me to make sure there wasn't anybody (friendly or enemy) lighting me up with flamers every single time I fired my weapons. I don't think I ever dropped under 80% heat (even while repositioning and wasn't firing), and chain-firing my SRM6es didn't help prevent overheat damage. Definitely feels like there was a bug with how heat worked on that one.

Which we confirmed a drop later on. Rubellite Oasis and I kept on shutting down in my 4LBX10 Fafnir.

Thanks for the company @Erlkönig @BeornK @Phoenix-D and @TOGSolid Unfortunately the queues are so bad now that a 3 man drop is almost impossible.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Sounds like you guys encountered the infamous heat bug.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Sounds like you guys encountered the infamous heat bug.

That match I posted about earlier, it seemed most people got hit by it. As lines were forming up and pot shots were being taken, I saw two or three mechs from the red team just simultaneously overheat to death. I'm afraid I didn't stick around to see who else suicided, I left the match out of disgust as soon as I died to make sure I didn't accidentally strip all heatsinks from my mech.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Yeah, basically the thing is that both the Locust and the Spider do very little damage per round, and can't equip more than a couple weapons because of sharply limited tonnage, while enemies in this game seem both abundant and fairly tanky. Meanwhile they gave me a Vindicator medium to start with that just kind of... obliterates anything it hits. I don't have the slightest idea what that railgun thing it has is, but it seems to deal more lasting damage than three other weapons put together.

EDIT: Oh, also, recommendations of DLC? I already have Flashpoint because it came with the bundle, is Urban Warfare worth it for a first run now that it's on sale?

Drascin on
  • Options
    EDIT: Oh, also, recommendations of DLC? I already have Flashpoint because it came with the bundle, is Urban Warfare worth it for a first run now that it's on sale?

Urban Warfare doesn't do much for a campaign run, besides maybe giving you a few missions in Urban biome. The DLCs add a lot more to the career mode.

• Options

Urban Warfare doesn't do much for a campaign run, besides maybe giving you a few missions in Urban biome. The DLCs add a lot more to the career mode.

You know, I don't think I was terribly clear on the difference between a campaign and a career mode. Is Career basically just a campaign without story, just futzing around?

• Options

You know, I don't think I was terribly clear on the difference between a campaign and a career mode. Is Career basically just a campaign without story, just futzing around?

Yes, with the difference that in career mode the whole map is open from the start and the various flashpoints (from both DLCs) unlock right away. Which means that instead of doing random missions and then a campaign mission you'll be doing random missions and then flashpoints. Most big mods are also aimed more for the career mode.

• Options
    I see. Well, for now I kinda want to have a plot and such.

I am noticing that the contracts give me the option to negotiate for like 9 pieces of salvage, but it's rare that a mission drops more than 6 or so. I get the feeling I should be doing something to help with the drops.

Also, my Blackjack is finally back in form, though now I have to put weapons on him again. The first mission kinda got the arm with the gun blown up. And all I have are lasers, soooo... I guess it's time to put on a ton of lasers and heatsinks.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Drascin I have this unconfirmed theory that the more salvage I negotiate, the shittier the mechs are put up against me; so it's 'tougher' to upgrade my mech stash

Early game, you are typically only facing one lance and some support vehicles; which tends to give you more weapons than mech salvage.

For getting more/new mechs, it helped me if I focused down 2-3 mechs so I could then work on salvaging one of the remaining (aiming for legs and turrets or knocking down and aiming for heads).

It's worth noting once you get to the Argo mission, you have the opportunity to get at least one solid mech if you don't core every opposing you.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @Drascin I have this unconfirmed theory that the more salvage I negotiate, the shittier the mechs are put up against me; so it's 'tougher' to upgrade my mech stash

Early game, you are typically only facing one lance and some support vehicles; which tends to give you more weapons than mech salvage.

For getting more/new mechs, it helped me if I focused down 2-3 mechs so I could then work on salvaging one of the remaining (aiming for legs and turrets or knocking down and aiming for heads).

It's worth noting once you get to the Argo mission, you have the opportunity to get at least one solid mech if you don't core every opposing you.

Honestly I would settle for weapons. Depending on lasers makes heat management in all these desert planets a bitch and a half.

Also, I do knock legs off sometimes, but it seems that for it to count as a kill I have to keep shooting until explode? Is there any way to aim for head without that one morale skill? (with which I never aim for the head because, like, seeing a 2% hit chance is just depressing).

• Options
    edited October 2019

Honestly I would settle for weapons. Depending on lasers makes heat management in all these desert planets a bitch and a half.

Also, I do knock legs off sometimes, but it seems that for it to count as a kill I have to keep shooting until explode? Is there any way to aim for head without that one morale skill? (with which I never aim for the head because, like, seeing a 2% hit chance is just depressing).

You have to blow up both legs for it to count as a kill. Blowing up one leg will instantly give the mech full instability and cause an immediate knockdown, but it won't kill them.

Edit: and no, called shot mastery is the only way to get 18% headshots. It really doesn't matter though because by the time you reach that point with your warriors you will be flush with mechs.. and the insta kill for the head isn't really all that special when you can core an assault in 1 salvo with an 82% shot to the torso, unless you're specifically looking to salvage.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options

You have to blow up both legs for it to count as a kill. Blowing up one leg will instantly give the mech full instability and cause an immediate knockdown, but it won't kill them.

Edit: and no, called shot mastery is the only way to get 18% headshots. It really doesn't matter though because by the time you reach that point with your warriors you will be flush with mechs.. and the insta kill for the head isn't really all that special when you can core an assault in 1 salvo with an 82% shot to the torso, unless you're specifically looking to salvage.

So, how do I destroy the other leg while the mech is knocked down on the ground?

Anyway, I got my first full new mech, a... Commando, I think? I don't really know any of these robots.

• Options
    edited October 2019

So, how do I destroy the other leg while the mech is knocked down on the ground?

Anyway, I got my first full new mech, a... Commando, I think? I don't really know any of these robots.

Target that specific leg while its on the ground. When an enemy mech is in knockdown mode you gain the same ability to target specific sections as you would with a precision strike.

Edit: when a mech enters knockdown mode it remains there for at least 1 turn until the commander stands it up (which is always 1 turn with the AI since it's the smart thing to do). After it get's up it will either reset it's instability meter, or reset it's instability meter and walk with severely limited range and an inability to sprint if it has a destroyed leg.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Target that specific leg while its on the ground. When an enemy mech is in knockdown mode you gain the same ability to target specific sections as you would with a precision strike.

This. You can knockdown via instability (missiles, PPCs, ACs, melee) or taking out a leg. Once a mech is knocked down, you get called shots on that mech without the morale cost.

• Options

Edit: when a mech enters knockdown mode it remains there for at least 1 turn until the commander stands it up (which is always 1 turn with the AI since it's the smart thing to do). After it get's up it will either reset it's instability meter, or reset it's instability meter and walk with severely limited range and an inability to sprint if it has a destroyed leg.

Mechs always stand up on their next turn, which means you can knock something down and then it instantly gets up if it is its turn next.

• Options
    edited October 2019

Mechs always stand up on their next turn, which means you can knock something down and then it instantly gets up if it is its turn next.

I was gonna ask if you were sure about this but then I realized that I wasn't sure about it. Could have sworn I've had mechs that stayed on the ground for longer than a turn because the situation demanded it.

Edit: maybe I'm thinking of mechs that I didn't stand up but got up at the end of the turn anyway. /shrug

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    You also gain that same precision targeting ability when a mech is in heat shutdown.

Resident 8bitdo expert.