As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, my G4+ is mostly handling what I throw at it so far. Thought it was having issues with freezing for a few seconds from time to time, but freed up some storage space and it's all good again.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    does anyone have any experience with LED lighting strips or other sort of low footprint lightweight lighting solutions? my office has crap lighting, and I don't have many good places to put traditional lamps... was thinking about getting some sort of ambient LED lights... for those cloudy days where my windows don't let anything in

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I've installed LED lights in our house under our Kitchen Cabinets, in a display shelf, and in my airbrush booth using these. All you do is screw in a plate or use 3M adhesive stickers then the light hooks up to those. The only issue I've had is a few times I've had to add some extra wire to the cables, because the connecting cables are short.

Heffling on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    HP Omen X 2S Review - 2 Screen Gaming Laptop 10:36
    https://youtu.be/mP7VI0YRi3I
    Lisa Gade reviews the HP Omen X 2S, a 15” a high end thin and light gaming laptop with two screens. The Omen X is available with 9th gen Intel Core i7 6-core CPU and 8-core i9 processors. It ships with NVIDIA RTX 2070 Max-Q and 2080 Max-Q GPUs with G-Sync. It’s pasted with liquid metal Conductonaut at the factory for improved cooling. Main 15.6” display options are full HD 144Hz, full HD 240Hz and 4K display options. The secondary 6” full HD display is bright and colorful and supports touch.

Smartcan 0:28
    https://youtu.be/wRHrYiI9Oo0

Peas on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Hey tech thread has anyone used an HP LaserJet Pro M29w? I need something for home and it has an attractively small footprint and just enough features.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Peas wrote: »
    HP Omen X 2S Review - 2 Screen Gaming Laptop 10:36
    https://youtu.be/mP7VI0YRi3I
    Lisa Gade reviews the HP Omen X 2S, a 15” a high end thin and light gaming laptop with two screens. The Omen X is available with 9th gen Intel Core i7 6-core CPU and 8-core i9 processors. It ships with NVIDIA RTX 2070 Max-Q and 2080 Max-Q GPUs with G-Sync. It’s pasted with liquid metal Conductonaut at the factory for improved cooling. Main 15.6” display options are full HD 144Hz, full HD 240Hz and 4K display options. The secondary 6” full HD display is bright and colorful and supports touch.

Smartcan 0:28
    https://youtu.be/wRHrYiI9Oo0

The robot garbage can taking itself to the curb is kind of neat but god it would be hilarious to watch one of those navigate to the street through my yard

Hmm also probably would have trouble with gates... unless you also had a smart gate, and they were networked.......

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Can the robo trashcan defend itself against raccoons.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    No. Not for long, at least. Any robot that can outsmart a raccoon is already Skynet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The raccoons will reprogram your robocans to turn on you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The raccoons are actually behind the robocans from the beginning, they're all programmed to automatically tip over for any that show up.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've played Donut County, I know how this goes

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hey tech thread has anyone used an HP LaserJet Pro M29w? I need something for home and it has an attractively small footprint and just enough features.

I'm not a fan of HP home printers. I've had good luck with Brother printers, though.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    gOYcvLs.jpg
    Text:
    Facebook's embattled Libra project suffered a major blow on Friday as four payment processors—Stripe, Visa, Mastercard, and Mercado Pago—withdrew from participation in the Libra Association, the Geneva-based group Facebook created to develop the virtual currency. eBay also announced its resignation Friday. eBay's former subsidiary, PayPal, quit the group last week.

The timing is not a coincidence. The Libra Association is scheduled to hold its first official meeting on Monday. At that meeting, members will be asked to make binding commitments to the project. So for members who weren't prepared to commit to the project, Friday was a good day to get out.

But this is an awkward development for Facebook. When the company introduced Libra earlier this year, it said it hoped to grow Libra's membership from 27 companies to more than 100 by the time the Libra network launched in 2020. Instead, the association's membership has fallen to 22 companies.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/10/visa-mastercard-stripe-and-ebay-all-quit-facebooks-libra-in-one-day/

• Options
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    lol fuck Facebook.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

I'm not a fan of HP home printers. I've had good luck with Brother printers, though.

I'll give HP printers something though: they're HTTP management interface is light years ahead of pretty much every single printer (i.e. not complete useless dogshit). I don't know why printers, even the enterprise ones that costs five digits and you have to lease, have the worst fucking admin software in the world.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Do any of y’all have any portrait monitors you are particularly fond of?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Finally the stars aligned into new phone time.

It was a good OS, shame MS stopped supporting it 3 years ago and no one else ever did. The idea of a phone that could dock into something and be a basic PC was a good one, it's just a shame it was attempted a bit too early and never developed further. Also, live tiles are excellent for a handheld device. Shame Windows 8 was released and massively (and rightly) soured everyone on the concept before they could see them where they make sense. Also a shame it had Microsoft written on it, cos it never stood chance with that around its neck anyway.

Ahh well. Now I have a nighphone 11.. the purple one.

• Options
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Aren't those the same behavior?

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Don't know about that, my phone will cling to the weakest wifi with one bar and won't switch to the access point I'm sitting right next to unless I manually switch to it.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Its true, women are not very strong in basements or structures covered with metal and men have range limitations and a slow data transfer rate.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    how long before people realize bluetooth and wifi don't interact with each other

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Men are like USB-A plugs and women are like USB-A ports.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

You have to flip them over twice before successful insertion?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My bluetooth headphones work most of the time but occasionally they will work for like half a second and just disconnect, and I have to reconnect them and they continue to do this until I reach some arbitrary combination of disconnecting them, turning off the bluetooth on my phone, turning it back on, sometimes turning my whole phone off and on, until somehow it just arbitrarily decides to start working again

so yeah I guess men ARE like bluetooth

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Men are like 433MHz

No encryption and very suspectible to electromagnetic interference

• Options
    SSL connections handshake like this, TSL connections handshake like this

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I hate that I get all these jokes

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Diarmuid wrote: »

They must use TCP.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Netflix and NFC?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

You have to flip them over twice before successful insertion?

Your mom is a USB-C port, she doesn't care which way it sticks in so long as it fits.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Lenovo ThinkPad P53 Review 9:28
    https://youtu.be/7rtI1WTjfnU

Lisa Gade reviews the Lenovo ThinkPad P53, a 15.6” mobile workstation that’s extremely powerful and upgradable. The laptop is available with Intel 9th gen Core i5, i7 and i9 processors and the Intel Xeon 8-core E-2276M CPU. It ships with NVIDIA Quadro graphics, at the low end the T1000/T2000 and at the upper end there’s the Quadro RTX 3000, RTX 4000 Max-Q and RTX 5000 Max-Q with 16GB DDR6 VRAM. It’s currently the only 15” mobile workstation with the Quadro RTX 5000, which is the model we have for review. The ThinkPad is available with full HD and 4K UHD displays, including a 4K OLED option. The P53 is designed for 2D and 3D CAD, modeling, architecture and 3D rendering.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    My god that laptop must be close to 10k after being fully fitted. That's some extreme specs.

EDIT: Got up to $11,379 using their builder, but they were kinda enough to give me a $2100 discount on that.

Dixon on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I think we've talked about 3d printers in this thread, but Prusa announced a prusa i3 mini, which is a more affordable option with a slightly smaller build volume. I have the i3 Mk3 and it's been pretty solid. Printing with minimal fussing about with it, which is the main thing I want. They also announced an XL if you wanted a larger build area for more monies.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/994-original-prusa-mini.html#

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

It was a good OS, shame MS stopped supporting it 3 years ago and no one else ever did. The idea of a phone that could dock into something and be a basic PC was a good one, it's just a shame it was attempted a bit too early and never developed further. Also, live tiles are excellent for a handheld device. Shame Windows 8 was released and massively (and rightly) soured everyone on the concept before they could see them where they make sense. Also a shame it had Microsoft written on it, cos it never stood chance with that around its neck anyway.

You lasted a lot longer than I did but I'm right there with you. I loved my Windows phone and if anyone had made the slightest effort to support its apps I'd have happily kept using it forever.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »

You lasted a lot longer than I did but I'm right there with you. I loved my Windows phone and if anyone had made the slightest effort to support its apps I'd have happily kept using it forever.

I'd've changed to a Nokia something a year ago, but there were circumstances around the work phone situation changing that ended up meaning that it made sense to hold off until now.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The battery on my wife's laptop is swelling. Turns out is a very known issue with these Dell laptops, to the point where they did a recall and replace on them last year and no longer make new batteries. We of course missed that window and now I have to buy 3rd party. I did call support this morning.

Never again.

• Options
    My work laptop (and a bunch of my colleagues) had the same thing (lattitude E7470s or something mostly) and talking to a customer, they've also had to replace a bunch in similar models. We all got them replaced through Dell though. Ugly stuff.

This discussion has been closed.