As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    While sad, I really hope Sony still do a big theater showing for the PS5 this year. Watching in the theaters has been a highlight since the 1st one revealed FF7R.

I'm sure they will, they just won't be doing it at E3.

Considering their last E3 was...a live flute performance, and a twenty minute venue change after a slightly shorter The Last of Us 2 trailer, maybe that's for the better. Sony will still be at other conferences, like TGS most obviously, and they're probably less inclined towards live-performance-venue-swapping spectacle at those.
    I know they'll have conferences, but I want to watch it in a local theater, take a day off and make a big to-do about it, probably get with a big group of friends and have a geek out party day.

Eh, if they don't I guess we can still always house party and stream.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    While sad, I really hope Sony still do a big theater showing for the PS5 this year. Watching in the theaters has been a highlight since the 1st one revealed FF7R.

Considering their last E3 was...a live flute performance, and a twenty minute venue change after a slightly shorter The Last of Us 2 trailer, maybe that's for the better. Sony will still be at other conferences, like TGS most obviously, and they're probably less inclined towards live-performance-venue-swapping spectacle at those.
    I know they'll have conferences, but I want to watch it in a local theater, take a day off and make a big to-do about it, probably get with a big group of friends and have a geek out party day.

Eh, if they don't I guess we can still always house party and stream.

But only if they all happened to land on the same day. It was nice that you had them all back-to-back.

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    Shame but with coronavirus and their planners backing out its the right call.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Hopefully they can use this break to really re-think what folks want out of E3 these days. With Sony and Nintendo having their own feeds these days, maybe more indie focused or hands on.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Speaking of...

...where my Nintendo Direct at yo

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. While they are using the Coronavirus as cover to cancel it, this needed to happen. This year's E3 sounded like it would be intolerable, AND bad for the journalists that would be covering it. So outright taking a year off probably is a good thing. We'll see if we still need it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    E3 would have been literally 3 months away from now, there's no way they can use the coronavirus as an excuse for cancelling it this early.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    E3 would have been literally 3 months away from now, there's no way they can use the coronavirus as an excuse for cancelling it this early.

I don't think it's gonna be any better in 3 months, tbh.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Announcing this any later would have been untenable, tbh, at this point a lot of publishers, retailers and press would have booked out all their plans for June

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My first thought was the virus too, but the article gives the impression it wasn't. It's just the final nail in the coffin. And I also had the thought that I doubt Keighley was a fucking prophet and saw this whole outbreak coming when he said he was out. So it's whatever that reason was, and I hope we get a detailed explanation as to what it is and why.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The real tragedy here is the delay in devolver digitals ongoing sci fi advertising show

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I... don't know how to feel about this.

E3 was frequently silly, absurd, disappointing, pointless, and probably harmful for all those studios rushing to make something for E3 when they weren't quite ready yet.

But it was also really fun.

So... hmm. I dunno.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, this year's conference was apparently a dumpster fire behind the scenes. It's easy to say that E3 needs to reinvent itself to survive, but.... apparently, that's what was already happening this year. And it managed to piss everyone off.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Aw man. End of an era for sure, I'm have no idea how they'd just start again next year without implementing major changes to the show.

It's been mediocre as the years went on, but I would always get hype as hell for announcements. There's something that buzzes me up when I think of E3. It's a very childlike excitement that is hard to capture lately.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'm super pleased about this. E3 has been a dinosaur for more than 5 years at this point.
    I'm much more excited to see what devs and pubs do in lieu. They're going to save so much money too.
    Good riddance to a bygone era.

• Options
    Aw man. End of an era for sure, I'm have no idea how they'd just start again next year without implementing major changes to the show.

It's been mediocre as the years went on, but I would always get hype as hell for announcements. There's something that buzzes me up when I think of E3. It's a very childlike excitement that is hard to capture lately.

Yeah E3 is awesome and I'll miss it this year. I love having a full 3 days of awesome gaming announcements. Watching a YouTube video of a trailer just isn't the same. The hype of the crowd and the memes were great.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm super pleased about this. E3 has been a dinosaur for more than 5 years at this point.
    I'm much more excited to see what devs and pubs do in lieu. They're going to save so much money too.
    Good riddance to a bygone era.

Give extra bonuses to the C levels, probably

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's hard to say what a reimagined E3 could be. The true reason for E3 -- convincing retailers to put specific games on their shelves -- is going away in the digital era. There's still lots of media coverage, but that's also fading as both traditional and enthusiast media continues to contract. Publishers can beam out trailers and compilations whenever they'd like. Would the Entertainment Software Association even want to bother with a fan experience? Especially after the promised fan experience for this year annoyed everyone.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I will be sad during it's absence because I loved jumping on the hype train.

The GF, who isn't a gamer, would even join in and watch the shows and trailers with me.

But it will probably rise from the dead once again. Maybe different. Maybe similar. Maybe something will take the mantle.

Something will be there to fill that void eventually.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It would be great if all the companies could get behind a single week to do a bunch of announcements digitally. Like a series of Nintendo-direct-likes.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    But now where will I groan at companies (Microsoft) blasting EXCLUSIVE* for games at their conference that are also coming out on PC the same release date and thus not exclusive in any way or form?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Good. E3 needed to die.

E3 wasn't even a conference anymore. It lost its definition 3-5 years ago and became this nebulous, undefined blob of early releases, leaks, fake-leaks, and pre-show hype. By the time E3 actually arrived and happened like for real, there was nothing left to talk about.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I believe the topic title might need to be updated to something like [E3 2020] Now with 300% less Es.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    But now where will I groan at companies (Microsoft) blasting EXCLUSIVE* for games at their conference that are also coming out on PC the same release date and thus not exclusive in any way or form?

Exclusive to Microsoft platforms. Like, from a console war perspective, sure, it's not exclusive, but from a Microsoft perspective, customers are gonna be playing on one of their platforms.

Corporate synergy, my dood.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Exclusive to Microsoft platforms. Like, from a console war perspective, sure, it's not exclusive, but from a Microsoft perspective, customers are gonna be playing on one of their platforms.

Corporate synergy, my dood.

Yeah... it's only been that way for how many years now? Goddamn gamer-boomers. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    XBox One's entire app is basically a modified Windows 10 app. In other words, XBox One is essentially already a Windows 10 machine.

Microsoft doesn't see PC and XBox One as two different platforms. It is the same platform.

I'm assuming the Series X will be the same way. The Series X operating system will basically just be a modded Windows 10.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    In a way I'll miss some of the crazy stuff that has come out of E3, but in recent years with many companies doing less, E3 has been mostly boring. I pretty much just looked forward to the Nintendo Direct and any announcements that came out of it. In the age of the internet, E3 has become a dinosaur that has refused to change. That isn't even to mention the horrible mishandling of the conference in the last couple years by the ESA.

No matter what, we'll always have the Youtube videos of some of the best of the worst E3 conferences of the past.

Honestly, all of the major companies should just adopt the Direct method as many of them seem to be doing recently.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The real tragedy here is the delay in devolver digitals ongoing sci fi advertising show

The Devolver E3 Presser, coming to you live from the Dave Lang/E3 Co-Memorial Amphitheater!

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Also the loss of the Giant Bomb night show. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    z94q83xl0jqy.gif

Gamer Christmas, anyway.

I understand that this was a long time coming, but I will miss the condensed, unreasonable hype.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

I don't think it's gonna be any better in 3 months, tbh.

Not to mention, publishers have to make logistical decisions well ahead of time. You're talking hotels, travel, booth space, etc.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I believe the topic title might need to be updated to something like [E3 2020] Now with 300% less Es.

@3clipse

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

@3clipse

Holy shit, I forgot this was my thread.

• Options
    A+ thread title.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I may end up having been rather premature on this--if TGS 2020 ends up being canceled or rescheduled in the coming few months. Which is by no means guaranteed, but I wouldn't bet money against it. It's almost certain there will be a substantial reduction with several companies pulling out.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    According the ESA it is over coronavirus fears, which ugh whatever I guess.

I suspect though that that is just a convenient excuse considering all else that is going on with E3.

The expo is not (yet) cancelled forever, just this year’s (for now....).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    According the ESA it is over coronavirus fears, which ugh whatever I guess.

I suspect though that that is just a convenient excuse considering all else that is going on with E3.

The expo is not (yet) cancelled forever, just this year’s (for now....).

Even without the cancellation, the convention was certainly in crisis. For all I know, this was a blessing in disguise and avails them desperately needed time to course correct. Having seen the last time E3 "died", it's not surprising.

These sort of tech and game conferences are getting canceled left and right. BitSummit, the biggest Indie Game conference in Japan (scheduled or May), was canceled earlier today--to no one's surprise.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh f’sure.

Which is kind of a shame. For all the corporate PR bullshit surrounding E3 I still really enjoyed the celebration of it all.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh f’sure.

Which is kind of a shame. For all the corporate PR bullshit surrounding E3 I still really enjoyed the celebration of it all.

Absolutely. Even with E3's own fuckups, the corporate keynote presentations themselves are worth watching, even when they stumble (flute performances in lieu of more games), and at their best are fantastic pieces of spectacle and theater. It's why I was barely aware of Geoff Keighly's presence, because he doesn't go on the stage during keynotes as far as I know.

It'll be a shame if TGS 2020 is (very possibly) canceled for the same official reason.

Synthesis on
This discussion has been closed.