As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I doubt there's going to be a single person that liked TLoU1 that won't feel betrayed by TLoU2.

The leaks were that bad. Like fuck.

Normally I don't like spoiling people but there comes a certain point where the warning is more important.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Eh it's not like zombie stories usually have happy endings

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Also Sony, Naughty Dog, and 3rd party companies hired by them were doing illegal DCMA takedowns of anyone talking negatively talking about the leaks on youtube and twitter that they could get at, even those that didn't use any copywrited footage or images that weren't already available in press releases.

It's been incredibly scummy and the mainstream gaming press sites have refused to cover it, probably afraid of biting the hand that feeds them? But it's been all over youtube, twitter, and other sites the last few weeks because they keep doing it. Including re-striking things that were previously cleared.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Eh it's not like zombie stories usually have happy endings

I mean, at least TLoU gave us the giraffe scene as a lovely palate cleanser before the brutal end.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    There's going to be a TLoU2 stream event thing tomorrow, so either some of the leaks will get confirmed (I doubt they'll show the really big reveals), or we'll get a better picture of what to expect out of the game.

Mr. Fantastico liked the first one, but he didn't see or want to be spoiled by the leaks and I didn't care. He still wants to look forward to the game but I'm worried it'll end up being a purchase he regrets.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    There's going to be a TLoU2 stream event thing tomorrow, so either some of the leaks will get confirmed (I doubt they'll show the really big reveals), or we'll get a better picture of what to expect out of the game.

Mr. Fantastico liked the first one, but he didn't see or want to be spoiled by the leaks and I didn't care. He still wants to look forward to the game but I'm worried it'll end up being a purchase he regrets.

I mean, the leaks were already confirmed by the leaked footage. It wasn't just text leaks, but actual cutscenes and gameplay with it.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I meant more that Sony will address and show some of that.

Do they let the cat out of the bag that
    You eventually play as Abby? Because all their marketing material to this point still paints Ellie and Joel as the central protagonists/characters.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So I decided to finally look at the leak since I’m fairly certain I won’t be playing the game anytime soon anyway and spoilers don’t bother me.

That’s it?

THAT is what everyone is complaining about?

If it got spoiled for someone who didn’t want to know it sucks bad, but the insane reaction from people complaining about what happens is seems ridiculous.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    its not set in stone but looks like we may be getting our first proper PS5 games reveal next week.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I meant more that Sony will address and show some of that.

Do they let the cat out of the bag that
    *edit*

I've been avoiding spoilers, but I have to say, my curiosity got the better of me with the way a few people have talked about that particular spoiler.
    Maybe it's just me, but that ... doesn't seem bad? Or even particularly surprising?
    *edit*

To be clear, I can certainly see some people being put off by that spoiler, and if someone doesn't like it, that's completely understandable. But I also think it's being a bit overblown.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I don't think this is the thread for those spoilers? People are doing the right thing by marking them as spoilers, but I still think it should be in a thread related to that game or to leaks in general.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Fair point. I've edited the tagged spoilers out of my post completely.

• Options
    Back on topic, we'll see in a few hours just how unrelentingly grim the game will be.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm having flashbacks to the shock registered when the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and Lara Croft's deaths in those.

(Disclaimer: I very much enjoyed that game, even though it wasn't my personal favorite in the franchise.)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    The difference is that I actually gave a shit about the characters in The Last of Us. :P

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    The difference is that I actually gave a shit about the characters in The Last of Us. :P

mvt79i1tprzi.gif

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Tomb Raider reboot is retroactively made worse because Lara and Sam didn't end up as a couple :(

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

mvt79i1tprzi.gif

giphy.gif

• Options
    I'll stop there... Hahah. Sorry. Love bender gifs.

• Options
    You set me up for it, I could hardly pass on that.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The Tomb Raider reboot is retroactively made worse because Lara and Sam didn't end up as a couple :(

This is the only criticism I will accept

re: Sony, had a good laugh about where Schreier mentions that they have been so afraid of leaks at this point two of the developers involved in the presentation weren't informed of the date for the reveal until they saw it announced on social media

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that the darkness of TLoU 2 is being mentioned here. The first one was pretty dark at times but it still felt like there was a ray of hope. That first trailer they showed when they announced it had people being hung and disemboweled and Ellie running around getting shot at and pulling things out of her. I had to take a step back. I don't know if I can do all the bleakness of the game for 20+ hours.

The realistic dog murder is where I really went "hmm maybe this game is going to more than I actually want."

Yeah, actually putting "realistic dog murder" as a PR positive buzz thing in your social media seems like a reasonable indicator that you've gone past "trying to show that the world is a nasty place" and starting to veer into into "way too high from your own farts".

It's not even that artistic or unusual. "People suck, everything sucks, everyone is fucked, eat at Arby's" is, like. The single most basic of all extremely basic plotlines in post-apoc zombie stories. It's the zombie equivalent of "hero fights demon king" for a JRPG or "besting a rival team of snooty jerks" for a sports movie.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that the darkness of TLoU 2 is being mentioned here. The first one was pretty dark at times but it still felt like there was a ray of hope. That first trailer they showed when they announced it had people being hung and disemboweled and Ellie running around getting shot at and pulling things out of her. I had to take a step back. I don't know if I can do all the bleakness of the game for 20+ hours.

The realistic dog murder is where I really went "hmm maybe this game is going to more than I actually want."

Yeah, actually putting "realistic dog murder" as a PR positive buzz thing in your social media seems like a reasonable indicator that you've gone past "trying to show that the world is a nasty place" and starting to veer into into "way too high from your own farts".

It's not even that artistic or unusual. "People suck, everything sucks, everyone is fucked, eat at Arby's" is, like. The single most basic of all extremely basic plotlines in post-apoc zombie stories. It's the zombie equivalent of "hero fights demon king" for a JRPG or "besting a rival team of snooty jerks" for a sports movie.

I am very over the 'man is the real monster' trope in disaster/post-apoc situations.

I want the zombie-mutant that has grown to hulk-like proportions and spews acidic bile to be the real monster we focus on, please.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I am very over the 'man is the real monster' trope in disaster/post-apoc situations.

I want the zombie-mutant that has grown to hulk-like proportions and spews acidic bile to be the real monster we focus on, please.

See ya gotta pitch it like this:

"Man is the real monster, but what if- and hear me out- what if man was also a monster monster? OOooOOooOOoooOOooH! DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND!?"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    as I get older, I just want my media to offer me a little bit of hope. it doesn't have to be upbeat or happy or even hopeful, just give me SOMETHING goddammit. 'people are shit and there's no point to anything' is something i get enough of in my day-to-day, thank you very much

• Options
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Not sure if good thing or pub stunt... maybe both?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Bringing further attention to the issue of systemic racism that's plaguing the country, making it about that instead of the game. I'd call it a good thing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Sony dig something similar on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sony/status/1267201754367737857

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

See ya gotta pitch it like this:

"Man is the real monster, but what if- and hear me out- what if man was also a monster monster? OOooOOooOOoooOOooH! DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND!?"

But that's just Bloodborne.

• Options
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I’d advise against reading the entire twitter feed on that one though. Barely into it and things are getting racist as heck. Saw the most abhorrent set of images I’ve ever seen in my life. Some good ones too, but damn.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Wow. I'm impressed a corporate account is calling that bullshit out.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Is is pretty impressive, and I do think that companies, especially big ones, have an obligation to be acting for good in the society/city/country/world in which they operate.

There is just a voice in the back of my head thinking that the forceful endorsement of BLM from Sony is somewhat connected to the fact that they really, really would like to run their big PS5 event as planned on Thursday without being labelled as insensitive.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »

Is is pretty impressive, and I do think that companies, especially big ones, have an obligation to be acting for good in the society/city/country/world in which they operate.

There is just a voice in the back of my head thinking that the forceful endorsement of BLM from Sony is somewhat connected to the fact that they really, really would like to run their big PS5 event as planned on Thursday without being labelled as insensitive.

• Options
    Morran wrote: »

Colour me double impressed. Good job Sony.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Think of it this way:

Even if it's a publicity stunt, that still means that they decided the calculus of speaking up was more favorable than staying quiet to not anger the racist fuckheads. That there are more people who would prefer to stand with the people than not. Which is probably a good sign!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Yea my guess marketing did their research and saw that the protests + covid news would prevent their news from dominating any sort of news cycle. Plus they get the bonus points for calling it out and pissing off the ignorant people. This was definitely the best choice for them.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Even if they did all of it for the wrong reasons, the results would still be favorable.

Bringing attention to was is right will help, publicity stunt or not.

This discussion has been closed.