Options

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    In honor of the season, here are horror movies I've enjoyed as a person who doesn't really like horror movies:

Let the Right One In
    It Follows
    The Descent
    You're Next
    Evil Dead (remake)
    Happy Death Day
    From Dusk till Dawn
    Cabin in the Woods
    Green Room
    The Thing
    Bone Tomahawk
    Jaws

I know many of these probably don't pass a true definition of a horror movie and only have horror elements, but they work enough for me.

Also a ton of credit to this forum generally speaking as I would have never seen half of these without word of mouth here over the years.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    You should note if Let the Right One In is the original or the american version.

I'm the same way on horror, I'd say thats a pretty good list as I've seen most of them. I'd say additional movies to ease you in on horror but are fun would be Tremors and Jason X. Pitch Black sort of?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    The Lighthouse is a pretty good movie

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Happy death day is indeed awesome. The sequel not so much.

The babysitter on Netflix is a fun movie if you haven't seen it. Monster squad is on Hulu and the best movie ever.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    Monster squad is on Hulu and the best movie ever.

Wolfman got nards!

https://youtu.be/BX6KrC-PHcQ

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    RedTide wrote: »
    In honor of the season, here are horror movies I've enjoyed as a person who doesn't really like horror movies:

Let the Right One In
    It Follows
    The Descent
    You're Next
    Evil Dead (remake)
    Happy Death Day
    From Dusk till Dawn
    Cabin in the Woods
    Green Room
    The Thing
    Bone Tomahawk
    Jaws

I know many of these probably don't pass a true definition of a horror movie and only have horror elements, but they work enough for me.

Also a ton of credit to this forum generally speaking as I would have never seen half of these without word of mouth here over the years.

I really dig horror movies, and I will also vouch for everything on that list, except You're Next, which I haven't yet watched.

(But I really want to. I don't think it's streaming on anything right now.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hush is an underrated gem more people should watch

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The new Malick movie is very Malick-y. Long, gorgeous, heartfelt.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If you want campy horror its hard to beat Reanimator

top notch 80s practical effects + Jeffery Combs with the ham-o-meter at 150%? How can you go wrong?

Thinks it on Amazon Prime rn

• Options
    70's invasion of the body snatchers still holds up. What a great movie

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Alien is definitely on my list for horror movies.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Tremors and Drag Me to Hell are worthy PG-13 horror movies.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Some great suggestions so far.

For classic horror, I'm partial to Phantom of the Opera (1943, with Claude Rains as the Phantom) and The Curse of Frankenstein (1957, the first horror movie with the legendary team of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee).

For some truly gruesome '80s body horror that still holds up incredibly well, The Fly (1986) is pretty much definitive.

For a light-hearted sci-fi horror-adjacent flick ("valley girls at the end of the world"), I love Night of the Comet (1984), with Catherine Mary Stewart (The Last Starfighter) and a pre-Star Trek Robert Beltran.

And of course there's the weird collision of horror and comedy that somehow works in An American Werewolf in London (1981). For a more straightforward werewolf movie, I really dug Dog Soldiers (2002) as well.

A zombie comedy-horror that's also exactly how British people would really deal with the zombie apocalypse? Obviously Shaun of the Dead (2004) is essential.

And I'm someone who's generally not really into horror movies!

Jazz on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Also, here we are on page 98... I'd just like to say, I am going to miss this thread title when we move on to the next thread. Great job, @ElJeffe !

Jazz on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Man, Sarah Connor Chronicles was so good.

Would love to see more in that universe, especially with the threads that were started right near the end, would love to see more of the Liquid vs Solid Civil War

I could not get past the pilot/1st episode, the acting was so stiff and it looked like it was made with no budget, does the quality improves substancially in the following episodes?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I liked a lot of the ideas in the first season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but it also always looked cheap and decidedly TV for me, at a time when I'd seen sci-fi series that looked better, more expensive and more competent. The same series but better crafted could've really wowed me, but so often I felt I was looking at the episodes and thinking "Yeah, I can see what they were going for, and if they'd had more resources it could've been great."

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    to start our Halloween festivities we watched Hellboy (Ron Perlman) and my son who is a late teen said that it was a pretty good movie. For being "almost a boomer" i guess i did good.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I got high and watched that movie and I lost my fucking shit at this scene:

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Iconic.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Has no one recommend the 1988 The Blob remake yet? Madness I say.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

It's no Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Hell Comes to Frogtown.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Man, Sarah Connor Chronicles was so good.

Would love to see more in that universe, especially with the threads that were started right near the end, would love to see more of the Liquid vs Solid Civil War

I could not get past the pilot/1st episode, the acting was so stiff and it looked like it was made with no budget, does the quality improves substancially in the following episodes?

It improves dramatically in s2. S1 is only like 6 episodes. S2 was 20+ eps

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The first Gremlins movie is good horror/comedy.

Poltergeist is good and creepy with a balls-to-the-wall finale.

The Boneyard is a low budget camp affair with effects that are a little better than you might expect. A murderous, mutated Phyllis Diller is the highlight.

The only recent horror flick I liked was The Autopsy of Jane Doe. The two main characters are just so good that it sells all the scary stuff in a way that few other movies have for me.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The Changeling is my favorite ghost story film. Among other things, it is one of the few where "Why am I being haunted" becomes the core of a satisfying murder mystery.

Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaPLQidZub4

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

It's no Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Hell Comes to Frogtown.

I still need to buy that blu-ray.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I fuck'n love Hell Comes to Frogtown.

Also while we're mentioning Jeffery Combs, From Beyond is an awesome creature feature.

• Options

Iconic.

I had seen this scene hundreds of times without seeing the movie. Still was awesome

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Apparently there's going to be another remake of Ju-On/The Grudge? They say nostalgia moves in 20-year cycles, so we're just about ready for a J-horror revival.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Super late to the party but Hereditary was not the movie I was expecting it to be.

No spoilers but there was a point about 1/3rd through the movie that I needed to go take a walk to clear my head I was so disgusted/shocked.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hereditary is great.

• Options
    I thought it was good but over hyped. I didn't think it was particularly scary

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Like The Witch, it's not scary but it inspires plenty of dread.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Super late to the party but Hereditary was not the movie I was expecting it to be.

No spoilers but there was a point about 1/3rd through the movie that I needed to go take a walk to clear my head I was so disgusted/shocked.

Yeah.

The movie just kind of throws you headfirst into that.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Apart from a few choice scenes towards the end it definitely was not scary but man, my head spun with some of the stuff that happened on the way.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Like The Witch, it's not scary but it inspires plenty of dread.

See I thought The VVitch was just bad. Great Actors, great scenery, wonderfully shot and sound is amazing, terrible story and writing. I wanted the final act of the movie to be the whole movie. There were a lot of scenes that just that came off as hilarious instead of scary to me, which completely threw me out of the experience.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Disco11 wrote: »

Yeah.

The movie just kind of throws you headfirst into that.

boooooooo
    nice

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Very few of my favorite horror movies are actually scary, except possibly on an existential level.

Hereditary was extremely effective at what it was trying to accomplish - especially that point about 1/3 in that Disco is talking about. I honestly can't remember the last time I felt that tense - that awful - in a movie theater. I was legit gripping the armrest of my seat and barely breathing. It wasn't scary, but it was utterly horrifying.

• Options
    I'm surprised that Ford vs Ferrari l9oks really good to me.

• Options
    Oh, speak of the devil. This just showed up on my Netflix feed on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EtFRhzFvDM

• Options
    "Wide open mouth creepy sound" is a whole genre of horror on its own now

This discussion has been closed.