As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    i don't know if i'd call it a change in sexuality, directly, but i will say after starting hrt i definitely became more comfortable accepting and admitting attractions/orientation i was burying before

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I think I might be experiencing a change in my sexuality, presumably as a result of HRT. I think I've read this is a thing that can happen?

Extra bemusing because I consider myself asexual. But there's not really the language to define what I mean. It's kind of a Janson Situation I guess
    Janson wrote: »
    I’m bi in an ace kind of way so I’m equally attracted to none of you <3

Yeah Janson, I just created a phenomenon named after you. Deal with it :cool:

I mean, i'm a panromantic asexual.... Panroace

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'm aro as well as ace. I literally don't know how to describe or explain the kind of attraction I feel to some people.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    RE: change in sexuality, I'd heard recently about several cis women who'd come off birth control meds suddenly realising they're not into men.

Bi and ace people banded together pretty explicitly in the 90s for this exact reason. Sexualities that didn't fit into straight/gay/lesbian had a whole bunch of solidarity with eachother.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I moved from bi with a strong femme preference to omni with no preference. I know a number of trans women with similar shifts.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I think I might be experiencing a change in my sexuality, presumably as a result of HRT. I think I've read this is a thing that can happen?

Extra bemusing because I consider myself asexual. But there's not really the language to define what I mean. It's kind of a Janson Situation I guess

I mean, i'm a panromantic asexual.... Panroace

that sounds like a pokemon name

I like it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I also got that question again and again

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I will say that as a cis female who had just gone through childbirth and then didn't start back on birth control, some weird shit happened to my perceived sexuality.

I went from being a very interested and extremely sexual person to feeling like I was actually ace and all of my life had been a lie.

Not that there's anything wrong with being ace in any way, but it wasn't me and I was very much off kilter. I'm better now, but hormones are very scary and powerful things.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    That actually made me laugh out loud.

Some guy all "I'm doing my best!" and then immediately stepping on a rake.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "I'm doing my best, please let me know if I fuck up!" "do u hav bob and vagene"

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    "I'm doing my best, please let me know if I fuck up!" "do u hav bob and vagene"

It's like, yes that's totally not the right question or time, but also depending on people's sexual preferences it's going to matter to some people.

First text probably ain't it though.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    I feel like that's a question you only raise after a date or three when it's clear you have chemistry and the particular configuration of genitalia you're both bringing to the table might actually be relevant.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's really a "You'll be told when you need to know" situation

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Weirdly, only close friends and family have asked me about that, in terms of plans. I've been fine with it because we're close.

Randoms always seem to want to know when I "knew."

You want the full essay or? Cause that's like the hardest question to answer. Wouldn't you rather know, like, how sex has changed or something?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Weirdly, only close friends and family have asked me about that, in terms of plans. I've been fine with it because we're close.

Randoms always seem to want to know when I "knew."

You want the full essay or? Cause that's like the hardest question to answer. Wouldn't you rather know, like, how sex has changed or something?

"When did you know" feels like an interested/relevant yet polite/socially acceptable question to ask.
    I do think that if you think about it a bit more, it's still really personally probing and uncomfortable (because what if someone just transitioned and tells you they knew when they were 5? What does that imply? And what if someone didn't know until they were 50 and feels weird about it?) But on the surface, it's way less offensive than a question about genitals. I'd rather someone not ask me any questions at all, because it's none of their fucking business--unless it's a friend, in which case obviously I want us to sit down and discuss in depth how we feel about gender.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My hair is getting right about the point where male presenting I get nervous and get it cut back short again, but I'm just gonna let it keep going. Also I don't think I ever fully explained my body dismorphia surgery ask, I have very minor gynocomastia, it's easy to mistake as just extra pectoral muscle, which is how I've gotten by all my adult life, and basically according to my consult with the plastic surgery team I'd end up with a chest full of very noticeable scar tissue vs. continuing to just always looks a bit more buff than I actually am. Another thing was, well, I have puffy nipples, and they can't fix those either because of blood vessels etc. So I'm stuck with a male body that I can only adjust by hair growth, diet & exercise.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    On the hair front, my hair is most of the way down my shoulder blades and I still masc present (I tie it back in a loop for work), no one says anything about it. I’m sure most people think I’m gay, but that’s fine. I’m don’t really hide my queerness, I’m just not explicitly out as me.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    On the hair front, my hair is most of the way down my shoulder blades and I still masc present (I tie it back in a loop for work), no one says anything about it. I’m sure most people think I’m gay, but that’s fine. I’m don’t really hide my queerness, I’m just not explicitly out as me.

My hair is a lot longer but I'm about at the same place. My co-workers just assume I'm, uh, "fashionable."

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    First time I saw one of my occasional friends after getting top surgery he asked me if I was "Done with all the surgery" now, and I said yes, because I thought he was asking if top involved multiple stages. Then later I realised he was probably asking about the different types of surgery. So now I think he thinks I have a dick.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    First time I saw one of my occasional friends after getting top surgery he asked me if I was "Done with all the surgery" now, and I said yes, because I thought he was asking if top involved multiple stages. Then later I realised he was probably asking about the different types of surgery. So now I think he thinks I have a dick.

BRUHHHH

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    the real secret of human bodies is that everyone has facial hair and tits by 80

it's all cumulative exposure, no one actually cares

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I think if anyone ever decided it was ok to ask in appropriate questions about my genetalia, I would gesture towards their groin and ask "Packest THOU the fruit and veg?" and when they looked horribly befuddled just nod solemnly and walk off.

R-dem on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

My hair is a lot longer but I'm about at the same place. My co-workers just assume I'm, uh, "fashionable."

I started growing my hair out literally decades ago at this point. Everyone just assumes I like having long hair from what I can tell. The worst I have had to deal with is people coming up to touch my hair randomly. You would be surprised at how little people assume, and how much they will write off as you being a little weird with no further thought.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I got my first haircut since January today. Got the sides and back cut off but left the top long so I can still play with styles. I'm feeling weird about it but hopefully it looks good to other folks so I don't have to answer questions about it. It feels much better now at least. It was getting to be really thick and warm.

• Options
    On my agender discovery journey, I've been thinking of maybe doing a little bit of makeup as a surprise for when my partner visits. So I was looking at eye shadow stuff on amazon, and got frustrated at how everything it was showing me was super traditional fem normative, so I just typed "agender makeup" into the search bar, on the whim that maybe somebody was marketing to people like me. Nope, the very first response was an uncensored picture from a book of pictures of gnarly body injuries.

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    : 0 that sounds like such a romantic surprise!
    What kind of colours you looking for @Weaver ?
    Whatever you want, I bet we can find it (used to buy all kinds of atypical colours while in a more goth phase - it's not all girly glittery stuff ; )

• Options
    Seagreen, shadowy teal, sandy gold, there's probably better color names but I'm very new at this.

• Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    Question, hopefully it is ok, sorry I am going to word thing wrong and maybe or use wrong terms. Kiddo is in high school. She has decided to sit during the pledge of allegiance, yes we support her 100%. She has now been joined by a few other kids, one she is pretty sure is gay/lesbian but not publicly out. She is a very accepting person, as we have taught, but also extremely defensive for people, as in stand up and speak your mind for what is wrong. Also we told her that since the person is not publicly out and you only think they are, do not ask them, they will tell you if they want you to know.

So my question is, if this person gets bullied from students or staff, what is her (my daughters) proper/best reaction to not offend said person?

Hopefully that made sense??

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I think I get what you mean. If a person isn't out but is being bullied because shitheads a) think they're queer and b) think that's a reason to bully someone, a defense can be started from a 'so what if they are, it wouldn't matter anyway' position. It doesn't specifically out someone (though you have to be careful not to imply anything) and it also addresses the shittiness of bullying someone on the basis that they may or may not be queer.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I got bullied for being queer although I would've never identified as such, I lacked the ability to contextualize. Some people don't have themselves figured out at that stage yet.

My advice would be to make the bullying itself the topic rather than her friend's identity, and talk to this person directly.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Seagreen, shadowy teal, sandy gold, there's probably better color names but I'm very new at this.

I'm not a huge makeup person but I have a friend who is, who posted a few cool looking Black owned makeup companies on her IG account recently.

One that caught my eye that has a pretty great colour range (including iridescent and colour change powders and liners) is JD Glow Cosmetics. I could have a look back at my friend's list and see if I can come up with any more suggestions if people are interested.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Oh, I have a palette with those three colours included from Juvia’s Place.

I recommend checking out their Instagram too to see their models!

• Options
    Those are so gorgeous @Janson and @Apocalyptus !

I used to buy Clinique's because of allergies etc...like https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-About-Shadow-Quad-Galaxy/dp/B00E5DT7M0/ref=asc_df_B00E5DT7M0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310786520111&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6152663123056531036&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006656&hvtargid=pla-588343518197&psc=1

Hope you'll find seagreen, shadowy teal and sandy gold @Weaver !
    Those are beautiful names - if I had a makeup company, I'd steal them for marketing purposes : p

About bullying - @LeperMessiah
    Does your daughter have to take this on on her own? Could a teacher help?

• Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    Thank you for the replies

@PirateQueen - Sorry if I worded things as if this is actively happening. I am mostly looking for advice on if it starts, it very well may not. We are sort of a little blue island in a sea of a red state but it is a college town so it is pretty accepting with the exception of a fairly active church that likes make their views known fairly publicly. We are actually having Pride Parade tomorrow (drive through type thing) which is cool since most other events have been cancelled.

• Options
    We are actually having Pride Parade tomorrow (drive through type thing)
    That's awesome!
    Glad to hear no bullying is happening & that you feel safe and supported where you live :))

• Options
    My mum just gave me two jars she couldn't open and I opened them for her

Truly, I have become A Man

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Excellent. For your next trial, you must hang a shelf in the bathroom, do it crooked, but be so proud of it that nobody else in the house will point it out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
This discussion has been closed.