Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
outer-wilds-jovo-heten-jelenik-meg-a-problemas-eloeletu-jatek_1-6898.jpg

Outer Wilds is out now. It's a game about exploring space and unravelling a mystery.

What that mystery is, well, you'll have to play it and find out.

Every time you die, you wake up with all the accumulated knowledge saved in your ship's log.

It's fucking great and cool and neat.

It's on Xbox, Xbox Gamepass and the Epic Game Store.

It's Majora's Mask meets Obra Dinn with a splash of space sim.

MidniteZilla360Blackhawk1313BucketmantyniccB557Joolander
«13456789

Posts

  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Brittle Hollow, what I think is most of the planet
    I think I'm done here, for now. Explored the Hanging City, found my fellow astronaut, went inside the observatory, found the escape pod and have been in and out of the black hole. MIGHT head back tonight to see what's up with the quantum tree and try one more time to get inside the tower of quantum knowledge, but I can'd figure out how.

    Think I'll do a quick trip there while playing tonight then on to Giant's Whatever.

    Zilla360
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm very glad that Vinny avoided showing a few things that he did in the Quick Look. So much of the game is a lot more impactful when you see it for the first time yourself.

    steam_sig.png
    Midnitewebguy20Zilla360
  • webguy20webguy20 I Spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ughh the crushing sound. That was rough. I haven't died like that yet.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    AistanZilla360Veldrin
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I played about an hour of this last night, which was just enough that work today is agony as I think about all the things I want to do next for eight hours.

    FYYss9j.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I've been playing an assload of this and streaming it and it is my favorite game of the year so far. It is really great.

    I found a credits screen by
    breaking the fabric of space time when I
    yanked a module out of the high energy lab before my probe went through the mini black hole. Whoops.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
    webguy20Blackhawk1313Speed RacerMr FuzzbuttcB557
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don’t know how anyone finds this game relaxing

    I am anxious 100% of the time about what fresh horror of space awaits me next

    6F32U1X.png
    StiltsAlbino BunnycB557
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Snooping around Ember Twin
    Found a weird cone shape structure and landed my ship on the platform inside.

    Hopped out and found an interesting control unit nearby.

    Switched the unit to left most setting.

    Ship is fired into the sun.

    Read the panel label: Gravity Cannon

    “...well, shit.”

    Aistanwebguy20Undead ScottsmanStiltsMarekDevlin_DragonusLegacycB557AiouaTransporterjkylefulton
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Brittle Hollow
    Well, one of the crossroads collapsed on me and whoops now I’m through the black hole without a ship and my entire stomach fell out through me

    This game is TERRIFYING

    6F32U1X.png
    JayKaosLegacy
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Legit think this game might be too frightening for me

    I’m completely tense at all times and every time I take a break I’m sweating

    6F32U1X.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Brittle Hollow
    Well, one of the crossroads collapsed on me and whoops now I’m through the black hole without a ship and my entire stomach fell out through me

    This game is TERRIFYING

    If it helps
    When you exit the black hole, there is immediately a kind of reddish structure nearby with a teleporter and oxygen that can get you back to safety pretty easily. You should be able to identify it from little blue glowy bits emanating from it.

    cB557
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Brittle Hollow is what freaked me the fuck out when I first started playing as well. After putting more time into it that feeling has mostly passed now that i've gotten used to how everything works.

    steam_sig.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I Spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So I think I'm on the cusp... Story for later game? Stuff
    I've explored most places. I'm going after the "VESSEL" right now in Dark Bramble, found escape pod 3 then got ate on my way to the "VESSEL". Found Feldspar on the next run through. He is so close to escaping!

    I have a few more things apparently to explore in the sunken city on Ember Twin and the Upside Down city on Brittle Holow. Then I need to figure out how to get to the Sun Source thing and also how to actually get onto the quantum moon. Also explore the core of the interloper somehow.

    webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I really like this game, but at the same time I feel like I'm gonna start needing to look up some guides soon. I've visited every major planet as well as most of the other stellar objects, but I feel like for as much as I've learned, I'm also missing so much and I'm not entirely sure where to focus next. Things I have done so far:

    Timber Hearth
    Explored the grove where the the quantum stone is
    Found the dark seed and shot a probe through it
    Went into that watery area with communication board

    Attlerock
    Met the astronaut, went to the north pole, then explored the library area with the planet tracker on top

    Brittle Hollow
    This one is a little...hazy, 'cuz I had a lot of trouble orienting myself. One of the first things I did was go through one of the "elevators" and then accidentally fall into the black hole. But that took me to an area with a bigass quantum rock. And then the whole thing collapsed, and I went inside the Quantum Moon research tower and read all the stuff there.

    Giant's Deep
    Visited all the surface areas, went inside the core, and explored the probe cannon station. I'm...pretty sure I mostly cleared this one out? I haven't explored the Phantom Moon or whatever that's called, though.

    Dark Bramble
    Oh fuck this place so much. Went inside and managed to find the escape pod. But I was too cautious, and didn't leave myself enough time to thoroughly read or explore what I found at the end of the trail the survivors left. Haven't gone back yet because fuck that place.

    Hourglass Twins
    Found the escape pod, but I dallied around too long, so I couldn't explore any of the caverns below. I found the shuttle but didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do with it (and ended up killing myself with it). Visited the Ash Twin I viewed some writing, but again, was not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do there.

    Haven't been to the Interloper yet.

    Any tips or direction toward what would be most useful for me would be appreciated.

    IKknkhU.gif
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I really like this game, but at the same time I feel like I'm gonna start needing to look up some guides soon. I've visited every major planet as well as most of the other stellar objects, but I feel like for as much as I've learned, I'm also missing so much and I'm not entirely sure where to focus next. Things I have done so far:

    Timber Hearth
    Explored the grove where the the quantum stone is
    Found the dark seed and shot a probe through it
    Went into that watery area with communication board

    Attlerock
    Met the astronaut, went to the north pole, then explored the library area with the planet tracker on top

    Brittle Hollow
    This one is a little...hazy, 'cuz I had a lot of trouble orienting myself. One of the first things I did was go through one of the "elevators" and then accidentally fall into the black hole. But that took me to an area with a bigass quantum rock. And then the whole thing collapsed, and I went inside the Quantum Moon research tower and read all the stuff there.

    Giant's Deep
    Visited all the surface areas, went inside the core, and explored the probe cannon station. I'm...pretty sure I mostly cleared this one out? I haven't explored the Phantom Moon or whatever that's called, though.

    Dark Bramble
    Oh fuck this place so much. Went inside and managed to find the escape pod. But I was too cautious, and didn't leave myself enough time to thoroughly read or explore what I found at the end of the trail the survivors left. Haven't gone back yet because fuck that place.

    Hourglass Twins
    Found the escape pod, but I dallied around too long, so I couldn't explore any of the caverns below. I found the shuttle but didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do with it (and ended up killing myself with it). Visited the Ash Twin I viewed some writing, but again, was not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do there.

    Haven't been to the Interloper yet.

    Any tips or direction toward what would be most useful for me would be appreciated.

    There's A LOT more on Brittle. Check the poles and around the equator.

  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    As soon as I got to the storm planet in the Quick Look I stopped the video because I knew I was all in. I plan to get Game Pass soon so I will definitely be checking this out.

    - Fixed a bug where the Moon was upside down.
    - Fixed a weird door.
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    help
    oUQrHCG.png

    FYYss9j.png
    JayKaosBlackhawk1313Veldrinvalhalla130MysstHahnsoo1cB557
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    After spending a lot more time in Brittle Hollow and Ember twin I retract my previous classification of this game as 'chill'.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Legacy
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don’t know how anyone finds this game relaxing

    I am anxious 100% of the time about what fresh horror of space awaits me next

    life's a lot easier when there's no consequence to death!

    my current only real complaint is that there have been a few deaths where it truly feels like i've stubbed my toe and just keeled over

  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    This game just makes me think of this song

    Albino Bunny
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    After Brittle, Giant's Deep felt like it was easy as piss. I've got one more for sure thing to check out but after spending hours on Brittle, I feel like one more visit will end a good travel to Giant's Deep.

  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    After Brittle, Giant's Deep felt like it was easy as piss. I've got one more for sure thing to check out but after spending hours on Brittle, I feel like one more visit will end a good travel to Giant's Deep.
    Don’t forget to check the orbit around Giants Deep before you head somewhere else :)

    Blackhawk1313 on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    After Brittle, Giant's Deep felt like it was easy as piss. I've got one more for sure thing to check out but after spending hours on Brittle, I feel like one more visit will end a good travel to Giant's Deep.
    Don’t forget to check the orbit around Giants Deep before you head somewhere else :)
    So that was the first thing I did cause it just hoved into my vision as I was about to land BUT I didn't get on it, I saw the blue thing on it's butt but hadn't used the ones on the planet as landing zones yet. SO. I'll go back tonight, do my last island and then do that, maybe vice versa. I went under the current and saw the electricity thing and jellyfish but couldn't do anything but that's ok, I expect I'll come back.

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Just started this game

    It's very, very cool but I doooo kinda wish the ship was less squirrely to control

  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Just started this game

    It's very, very cool but I doooo kinda wish the ship was less squirrely to control

    It's like they made more arcadey space flight controls, and then played 30 minutes of Kerbal Space Program and went "Oh hey, we should add momentum to this game" but changed nothing else about how the spaceflight works. The solar system is so small it makes it real easy to overshoot before you realize you need to make a correction.

    It's pretty funny how much of a deathpod that thing is at first, but it does start to get old after awhile.

    Undead Scottsman on
    Speed RacerStiltsLegacy
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I've gotten pretty good at piloting it now. My only irritation is usually trying to get through gaps that are weirdly uncooperative but there's not many planets where that is an issue.

    webguy20LegacycB557
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I haven't found the ship very difficult to pilot. The autopilot is incredibly useful and you should probably be using it if you aren't.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    the autopilot is nice, just

    make sure there's nothing between you and wherever you're going. or unlock and swerve around whatever gets in your way before you slam into the sun while not paying attention

    SniperGuywebguy20VeldrinLegacycB557Xeddicus
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i'm pretty sure i've completed bramblepelt except for one huge thing that seems like a pain to find, but otherwise glad to be shed of that deathtrap until I'm forced to be a completionist and find it

  • XehalusXehalus lofi Registered User regular
    this game is what I wanted No Man's Sky to basically be

    now to hope for more planets

    Speed Racer
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I just beat this and uh holy shit that was incredible the entire way through.

    Dark Bramble
    this place was terrifying and I hate that there's so much stuff you need to see on it because it's so damn scary.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I think i'm too dumb and my memory is too bad to beat this game. I've tied up all the loose ends I can think of and I still have no idea what i'm supposed to do or what else i'm supposed to look for.

    I thought it was the thing at the top of the city on the hollow planet with the black hole I keep forgetting the name of, but I cheated
    by flying my ship inside the crust and landing on the reverse gravity instead of using whatever teleportation system i'm sure I was supposed to figure out instead
    to get there, but there was nothing up there but a sign post and empty rooms. So now i'm stumped again.

    I'm sure i've seen the answer somewhere but again my memory sucks so i've forgotten that I saw it.

    The only other thing I can think of is maybe I need to do something with the hollow planet's moon since there's a blank entry for it on my map.
    I know as it dumps its lava it shrinks and shows exposed rock you can probably land on but uuuuuuuugh I don't want to just sit and wait for 20 minutes for that to happen.

    Aistan on
    steam_sig.png
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I don’t know what you mean by the thing at the top of the planet

    Do you mean the
    black hole forge?

    Or the southern observatory?

    Or the quantum tower?

  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I don’t know what you mean by the thing at the top of the planet

    Do you mean the
    black hole forge?

    Or the southern observatory?

    Or the quantum tower?

    Top of the city on the planet. Which I guess is the top of the planet, too.
    The Black Hole forge. I got up there and there's a sign post saying go left but all there is is an empty stairway leading to a square, which is directly above that hanging thing. But I can't fall all that way and land on it and it doesn't seem like there's anything to land on anyway. I fell into the white hole the one time I tried and then I gave up because i'd have to reset the loop to get back.

    steam_sig.png
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Aistan wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    I don’t know what you mean by the thing at the top of the planet

    Do you mean the
    black hole forge?

    Or the southern observatory?

    Or the quantum tower?

    Top of the city on the planet. Which I guess is the top of the planet, too.
    The Black Hole forge. I got up there and there's a sign post saying go left but all there is is an empty stairway leading to a square, which is directly above that hanging thing. But I can't fall all that way and land on it and it doesn't seem like there's anything to land on anyway. I fell into the white hole the one time I tried and then I gave up because i'd have to reset the loop to get back.

    Spoilers for brittle hollow
    falling into the black hole gets you to the white Hole warp tower, you can always get back to brittle hollow from there and try again
    I don’t have the answer for the black hole forge, I haven’t gotten there yet, it’s next on my list. I have noticed that platform though
    .

    cursedking on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    I don’t know what you mean by the thing at the top of the planet

    Do you mean the
    black hole forge?

    Or the southern observatory?

    Or the quantum tower?

    Top of the city on the planet. Which I guess is the top of the planet, too.
    The Black Hole forge. I got up there and there's a sign post saying go left but all there is is an empty stairway leading to a square, which is directly above that hanging thing. But I can't fall all that way and land on it and it doesn't seem like there's anything to land on anyway. I fell into the white hole the one time I tried and then I gave up because i'd have to reset the loop to get back.

    Spoilers for brittle hollow
    falling into the black hole gets you to the white Hole warp tower, you can always get back to brittle hollow from there and try again
    I don’t have the answer for the black hole forge, I haven’t gotten there yet, it’s next on my list. I have noticed that platform though
    .

    To follow up on this
    Black Hole Forge
    Can be raised and lowered with controls in the Hanging City, more specifically
    You go down some stairs into a little glass overlook kinda thing, near the three walls with scroll holes. To actually get into the black hole forge after that you
    have to warp from the Ash Twin

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah I know how to get back, but it takes me to a place where my method of getting to the forge wouldn't work anymore, so i'd have to start over.

    I love the game I just don't know what to do anymore and the whole rumor section of my log doesn't help me at all because i'm a dummy.

    steam_sig.png
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Yeah I know how to get back, but it takes me to a place where my method of getting to the forge wouldn't work anymore, so i'd have to start over.

    I love the game I just don't know what to do anymore and the whole rumor section of my log doesn't help me at all because i'm a dummy.

    Ohhhhhh

    I think sniperguy gave actual helpful advice then

    My advice on being stuck though is just death. I have suffocated myself a lot because I fucked up and wanted a redo

  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Bramblepelt
    Can someone give me a breadcrumb for finding the vessel? I thought following the red light would take me there, but it seems like no? I just found...fish eggs maybe idk

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Bramblepelt
    Can someone give me a breadcrumb for finding the vessel? I thought following the red light would take me there, but it seems like no? I just found...fish eggs maybe idk

    Here's some hints
    You've found other escape pods, right?
    If you've scanned the beacons on those, your scanner will have an escape pod scanner you can use to track down an escape pod.
    The fish eggs are in the right area, but you need to go through one more "node" thing from there to find the vessel.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
    cursedking
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    Bramblepelt
    Can someone give me a breadcrumb for finding the vessel? I thought following the red light would take me there, but it seems like no? I just found...fish eggs maybe idk

    Here's some hints
    You've found other escape pods, right?
    If you've scanned the beacons on those, your scanner will have an escape pod scanner you can use to track down an escape pod.
    The fish eggs are in the right area, but you need to go through one more "node" thing from there to find the vessel.
    Oh ok thanks, I had found the pod in bramblepelt, and the Wrong seed that’s thorny with the dead dudes, but hadn’t seen any other signals. I’ll try again.

    Sorry, I guess I should be clear, I mean the huge original ship they came in

    cursedking on
Sign In or Register to comment.