As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Wraith form kinda sucks against the sentinels, in my opinion, but the other two get destroyed in a turn or two, yeah.

Depending on the shuffle just one more card in your deck can solve or even trivialize that fight, but I think it’s the hardest of the three for her, yeah.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've been working on (fake edit: very slowly) grinding up the Ironlad's Ascension ranks so here's a doodle:

6jlsxaqogdmz.jpeg

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    two watcher heartkills in a row, a5 then a6

first one 23 relics, second one 21

i think you really want to hunt elites constantly with her, but maybe i'm just forcing myself into the same archetype every time

sig.gif
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    In a first for me, this was a strength and intimidation (in the form of Piercing Wails) Silent run. Fun stuff. Glass Knife and Riddle with Holes can do a ton of damage when strength'd up.
    A2A4B406B6A2B8ABC96692BF185034769232D396

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I didn't realize they changed Diva Form when I drafted it. But the first fight was against the lagauvlin which gave me a spinning top.

That seems like a strong combo

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also a whole bunch of new potions, which is exciting. Essence of Darkness is going to be pretty crazy crazy. Ghost in the jar becoming a rare is good too, as is poison put becoming silent only

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I was running defect for unlocks and made it to the heart for the first time!

At which point the game decided that I should lose. Not sure if spoilers are needed so just in case,
    Immediately after shuffling one of each, I drew 3 status cards, creative AI, and a 13 block card... against 60 Dmg.

There’s absolutely nothing interesting about that turn, it’s just over. :bigfrown:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Yep this game is crack.

Glad it's not on Android, I think I'd have impulse control issues.

Finished the Daily, so that felt pretty cool. First time making it that far.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Watcher feels reversed from every other class now.

I feel like an absolute bad ass verses bosses when I get going. Had the champ smack me down to half health and then he couldn't touch me for the rest of the match.

But if I run afoul of a snake plant those things can chew me up and spit me out if i'm not careful :rotate:

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Watcher is changing so fast I can't keep up.

Today's version of master Reality does 5 (8) random damage for every card you retain. Two of those, upgraded water relic and a deck of retain block cards and i'm playing like a lightening orb defect.

Pretty fun.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    I was running defect for unlocks and made it to the heart for the first time!

At which point the game decided that I should lose. Not sure if spoilers are needed so just in case,
    Immediately after shuffling one of each, I drew 3 status cards, creative AI, and a 13 block card... against 60 Dmg.

There’s absolutely nothing interesting about that turn, it’s just over. :bigfrown:

Spoilers arent needed.

So, yeah, the heart is a HUGE jerk. The heart is also emintely beatable - i've nearly cracked 100 kills, all on Ascension 20.

If you are going for the heart, you have to be drafting and planning for it from the word go. Part of that is having a way to solve the multi attack and the big attack, and survive those first 3 turns.

This is part of why you just do not see the good players make small decks at high ascension - You got a 5 card deck? it just DOUBLED IN SIZE with junk cards and you're going to have a real bad day. You got a 33+ card deck? 5 more is basically ignorable and you'll be fine with some statues in your deck.

Solving the mutli attack and big attack means having ways to produce that level of block on those turns. Cleat and Captain's Wheel can help with this. Appartions. Genetic Algorithm for hte defect is an amazing choice... You also are often looking to have card draw/card selection options or similar. Tactical suicide is a viable option too - just let yourself die, and take advantage of the Fairy in a Bottle or Lizard Tail you've been holding for just this (A good option for decks that can scale super well, but need time to setup)

@BSoB Yeah, this is part of why i havent been streaming her so much - hard to turotilzie when she's changing so rapidly. Harder still to learn her. Though i did have a fun run lastn ight that ended up with four wishes, 2 ragnaroks, and a snecko eye. That could do some silly, silly things.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ascending on my Switch, I got lucky with my Corpse Explosion deck at A9 and hit Donu+Deca for my boss

CE decks are like tailor made for that boss

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So, I ran with this again after many months. There seems to be a tricolor thing at the end that asks for a win with every character, so I went and did that (Defect and Silent first runs each, Ironclad required some six runs because I swear to god I don't know how to make the Ironclad work at all without RNG lining up perfectly). And then... nothing happened? Can someone give me a clue on what that seal thing was?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    So, I ran with this again after many months. There seems to be a tricolor thing at the end that asks for a win with every character, so I went and did that (Defect and Silent first runs each, Ironclad required some six runs because I swear to god I don't know how to make the Ironclad work at all without RNG lining up perfectly). And then... nothing happened? Can someone give me a clue on what that seal thing was?

Pay attention to your map, your campfires and your treasure chests - You'll have new options at campfires and treasure chests, and there's a variant icon on the map now. I wonder what would happen if you tried out all of these options in the same run?

• Options
    Thanks, zombie dood. It wasn't a particularly focused deck because I was mainly just looking to get XP for unlocks.
    LGg1IUo.png

Your comment about keeping a larger deck is especially helpful, because other than this particular run I'd been trimming things out. I think I was offered lizard tail but forget what I took instead, so maybe I would have had time to ramp up. And while it wouldn't have saved my last turn, I might have done better leading up to it if I'd been thinking more about the Ice Cream.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Pay attention to your map, your campfires and your treasure chests - You'll have new options at campfires and treasure chests, and there's a variant icon on the map now. I wonder what would happen if you tried out all of these options in the same run?

I don't see any difference? Maybe the run with the ironclad didn't cloud save correctly, since I did it in the laptop? God dammit.

Drascin on
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I don't see any difference? Maybe the run with the ironclad didn't cloud save correctly, since I did it in the laptop? God dammit.

Spoilers below:
    There should now be an Elite with a Burning effect on it, a Recall button at campfires, and the choice to take a Blue Key instead of your relic at a treasure chest. Collect all three of these in one run, then defeat the act 3 boss
    Thanks, zombie dood. It wasn't a particularly focused deck because I was mainly just looking to get XP for unlocks.
    LGg1IUo.png

Your comment about keeping a larger deck is especially helpful, because other than this particular run I'd been trimming things out. I think I was offered lizard tail but forget what I took instead, so maybe I would have had time to ramp up. And while it wouldn't have saved my last turn, I might have done better leading up to it if I'd been thinking more about the Ice Cream.

@Noggin You're very welcome! Teaching people about this game is one of my favourite things.

Looking at that deck, the thing that jumps out at me is - What's its gameplan? You took Pandora's Box early - that's fine! Good even! PB is usually a net positive. (hells, i once beat an a20/Heartkill run where it gave me not one, not two but THREE Envenoms... Going into act 2. That was fun). But beyond that... You seem to have a bunch of disparate elements. You've got Inserter, but Inserter's a way to scale and you have Creative AI - and later, a dead branch.

You have Icecream, but you're stuck on three energy, and dont have any Turbos - only double energys (Which, while very potent with icecream and i dig the choice of them... they arent enough). More criminally,you have no Recycles. A single Recycle+ would have done amazing work in that deck even without Dead Branch. Recycle with Deadbranch is basically GG, NO RE.

It's a very swollen deck - while i do like big decks, that's a BIIIIG deck - and while i've beaten the game with 40 card+ decks, they're usually Toxic Egg based monsters that were rolling in Shrug It Off+ or Backflip+ and similar good ugpraded cards to abuse. Or they had something like bottled Apothesis, a Gambling Chip/Bag of Prep setup (Just see 14+ cards on your first turn, that's not broken at all), or just a Snecko Eye - some way to either turn all of those cards into stronger versions, or dig out and deploy the deck's scaling asap.

Like there's a core of a strong deck in there -Creative Ai is a very good scaling engine (if you can deploy it fast enough). But there's a lot of junk - the FTLs arent doing anything for you really, nor is the All For One.

Of course, this is after-the-fact analysis - I didn't watch you play and see when you took picks. This is one reason why i try and post VoDS of my winning runs - Simply seeing a decklist only tells you what the deck and relics werel ike at the end of the game, and nothing about the decisions that got you there.

Sorry if i'm coming across as harsh here!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Oh no, I don’t take it as harsh, I know it was a mess. It kinda fumbled along and the core kinda came together later, but by then the bloat was real.

I liked the FTLs for cycling in options, since I especially since I didn’t have the 4th energy, and the dead branch was off by itself so I didn’t miss anything for it.

I also messed up a couple times on the pre-heart fight, so that might have helped too, and now I know better for next time.

• Options
    Oh no, I don’t take it as harsh, I know it was a mess. It kinda fumbled along and the core kinda came together later, but by then the bloat was real.

I liked the FTLs for cycling in options, since I especially since I didn’t have the 4th energy, and the dead branch was off by itself so I didn’t miss anything for it.

I also messed up a couple times on the pre-heart fight, so that might have helped too, and now I know better for next time.

Yeah, loosing the heart because you actually lost back in the A4 elites but simply did not die till the heart is pretty common. (heck in general, you often died several floors earlier than your actual death - this is why you'll hear me say "X killed us" when i'm streaming, even though we died to Y - X going badly was the death knell).

The thing about FTL is if you didnt draw FTL, you'd draw a different card instead. So if you removed them from your deck, you actually have the same amount of card draw. FTL's mainly good for doing hologram, all for one, or similar shennagins, or with stuff like RP where the 0 cost card draw is relevant (as now you can hold it till you need the extra card draw that turn, rather than it being card neutral most of the time). Like Shrug It Off is good because it cycles - you get a chunk of block and a card to replace it. But it dosent actually dig your deck, not in the way that Pommel Strike+ or Havoc+ does (PS+ draws more cards than it costs to draw, Havoc permantly removes cards from your deck, both are relevant effects for digging your deck)

Generally for card draw on the defect, your premium options are Coolheaded (Cantrips, upgrades to Digging your deck, Frost orb generation is always good), or Skim (Just plain powerful, if costly). Silent has backflip and a few other neat tricks, and Ironclad of course has Battle Trance.

• Options

Yeah, loosing the heart because you actually lost back in the A4 elites but simply did not die till the heart is pretty common. (heck in general, you often died several floors earlier than your actual death - this is why you'll hear me say "X killed us" when i'm streaming, even though we died to Y - X going badly was the death knell).

The thing about FTL is if you didnt draw FTL, you'd draw a different card instead. So if you removed them from your deck, you actually have the same amount of card draw. FTL's mainly good for doing hologram, all for one, or similar shennagins, or with stuff like RP where the 0 cost card draw is relevant (as now you can hold it till you need the extra card draw that turn, rather than it being card neutral most of the time). Like Shrug It Off is good because it cycles - you get a chunk of block and a card to replace it. But it dosent actually dig your deck, not in the way that Pommel Strike+ or Havoc+ does (PS+ draws more cards than it costs to draw, Havoc permantly removes cards from your deck, both are relevant effects for digging your deck)

Generally for card draw on the defect, your premium options are Coolheaded (Cantrips, upgrades to Digging your deck, Frost orb generation is always good), or Skim (Just plain powerful, if costly). Silent has backflip and a few other neat tricks, and Ironclad of course has Battle Trance.

If you have all for one, hopefully you find an overclock for draws. Also, agree about the turbo. Ice cream and all for one? Needs turbo(s)

• Options
    edited September 2019
    If you have all for one, hopefully you find an overclock for draws. Also, agree about the turbo. Ice cream and all for one? Needs turbo(s)

I think Overclock is a trap, frankly. It's too easy to status flood yourself, which will end you. If you've got medical kit, it's fine, but otherwise? Nooooo.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    The A17+ levels are making the game not fun for me. I’m getting some ok builds going, but then an unlucky draw destroys me. Think I’m gonna have to delete it off my Switch cause I keep trying and it keeps making me sad.

• Options
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    The A17+ levels are making the game not fun for me. I’m getting some ok builds going, but then an unlucky draw destroys me. Think I’m gonna have to delete it off my Switch cause I keep trying and it keeps making me sad.

Remember that the game is not balanced around the assumption of a perfect win rate at a20. Esp if you're going for a20 heart kills, your looking at the best players having a 30-40% win rate. I'd rate myself as pretty damn good, and my win rate for a20 heart kills is between 8~12%.

That said, if you're losing to unlucky draws, then you're almost ceartinly undervaluing card draw and card selection, or your drafting is getting compromised elsewhere and you're not getting the solutions you need.

(Admittedly, trying to learn the difference between poor luck and poor drafting or plot playing skill is a freaking hard task - even at 2k hours logged I have so much to learn in this game)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I wish like I felt that I could ever take Runic Dome

• Options
    Yeah, after another win with Ironclad, now the seal things are appearing. Clearly it hadn't saved correctly. Still, didn't manage to get there on my one attempt afterwards - I did get the three pieces of the seal, but a couple real bad turns on a Snecko meant I was already basically dead when I reached Champion. But now I know what I have to do, at least.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I have beaten the game* for the first time.

Time to hang up my badge and my gun. I'll hear nothing of these ascension modes

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Runic Pyramid is ass.

And that's all I have to say about that.

• Options
    Runic Pyramid can be one of the best relics in the game

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Runic Pyramid is ass.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Yeah, it and Snecko Eye are in the "Boss Relics that win you the game single-handedly" category.

Though, they're also both boss relics that really test your mastery of the game AND get a lot stronger at high ascensions. RP 's strength is you can hold cards for exactly when you need them. It's disadvantage is you hold cards, therefoe you can loose out on card draw and the ability to find cards you need. stuff like Creative AI gets worse with RP, but stuff like Echo Form gets stronger. (Honestly, most things get stronger).

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Interesting. On my one victory I ended up not taking any boss relics because the downsides of things like those were just too severe

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    You eventually learn how to play around them and how to manage the downside. With Choker, for example, not being able to play more than six cards sucks in certain decks but in others you're playing at most five a turn past the initial setup with an Offering maybe so it doesn't really matter. It's also one of those things where you notice the negative but you don't think pay any attention at all to the number of times you play an extra card because of the extra energy thanks to the relic.

Jookie on
    butts
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    More I read this thread, the more I realize how little I know/understand about this game.

I gave Silent a spin for the first time last night. Interesting change up from Ironclad, I can see it getting a fun day style, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet. I didn't realize how much the 6 health after battle added up until I played without it. I barely made it into a2.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

Remember that the game is not balanced around the assumption of a perfect win rate at a20. Esp if you're going for a20 heart kills, your looking at the best players having a 30-40% win rate. I'd rate myself as pretty damn good, and my win rate for a20 heart kills is between 8~12%.

That said, if you're losing to unlucky draws, then you're almost ceartinly undervaluing card draw and card selection, or your drafting is getting compromised elsewhere and you're not getting the solutions you need.

(Admittedly, trying to learn the difference between poor luck and poor drafting or plot playing skill is a freaking hard task - even at 2k hours logged I have so much to learn in this game)

I went and watched a couple of streams. I could see a few tactics around when to draw cards and when to reshuffle that I hadn’t been using. That is making sure I get the cards I need on the turns I need them. Also, the they were buying potions at the shop which is something I rarely do.

(Still, I should probably take a break from the game anyway)

• Options

This is the exact opposite of me.

Runic dome is almost always my pick for a fourth energy and I wish I felt confident to take the pyramid more often

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

This is the exact opposite of me.

Runic dome is almost always my pick for a fourth energy and I wish I felt confident to take the pyramid more often

Dome is a trap a lot of the time. Not being able to see enemy intention is painful.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dome is only a trap if your deck can't win already or just needs a 4th energy. Most enemies have pretty straight forward patterns. If the only thing holding back your deck from winning is 4 energy and you're playing say, Defect who can generate tons of passive block it can really push you forward.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    There are fights that runic dome can fuck you. For example, time eater or the heart.

The difference between the heart's two attacks is huge, and you can't know which one is coming.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Yeah the problem with Dome is that attacks aren't deterministic, they're occasionally random, and that can kill you

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Yeah the problem with Dome is that attacks aren't deterministic, they're occasionally random, and that can kill you

I don't even care if I lose because of it, what really makes me hate it is that it makes the whole game a chore to me. "Now what was the next move ... eh, I guess I'll block. Oh great, wasted energy, it debuffed instead." Last time I starter relic swapped I got it and I got to Act 3 boss with it but hated every minute of the journey. Next time I'll just suicide instead, a lot less painful.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The problem with Runic Dome is that knowing the enemy's intentions is one of my favorite mechanics of StS, which sets it apart from other games like this, and Runic Dome actively destroys that fun.