As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

YouTube is a series of video essays

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I didn't even know baseball's unwritten rules existed until now and they sound like the most pathetic, petulant, childish excuse for 'sportsmanship' I've heard of in a long time

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Baseball’s “rules” about not having fun ever are stupid af and one of many reasons basketball is just straight better

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know baseball's unwritten rules existed until now and they sound like the most pathetic, petulant, childish excuse for 'sportsmanship' I've heard of in a long time

Listen, when you have a dude hurling bird-exploding projectiles directly at a dude holding a club, you should probably try to keep visible emotional displays to a minimum.

But yes, it does result in a bunch of grim man-babies looking for any excuse to have a lame pretend brawl.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    When I was a kid I watched a motocross race and the winner got disqualified for raising his hands off the handlebars in celebration before crossing the finish line. I thought it was the dumbest thing.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    there are countless similar tales about why the nfl stands for the no fun league

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dudes should be able to celebrate by enacting a dog peeing in a tree or shitting out a football, absolutely

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    there are countless similar tales about why the nfl stands for the no fun league

really? I thought the NFL was famous for grandstanding after touchdowns, of the sort that would instantly empty the dugouts in a baseball game.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

really? I thought the NFL was famous for grandstanding after touchdowns, of the sort that would instantly empty the dugouts in a baseball game.

Things have changed a bit.

https://youtu.be/RGJb2iLvOKE

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

Yes and no. There has been a penalty for "excessive celebration" that has been enforced...not so evenly. I'm of the opinion hell yeah celebrate, sport is about spectacle and entertainment, not grim faced men.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    You should get bonus points if your showboating celebrations really fires up the crowd. Crowdpleaser extra point.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    When I was a kid I watched a motocross race and the winner got disqualified for raising his hands off the handlebars in celebration before crossing the finish line. I thought it was the dumbest thing.

To be fair, that seems unsafe.

• Options
    The nfl eased off the celebration penalties 2 years ago and it’s better for it

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They should go the complete opposite direction. All scores and big plays require a celebration. All celebrations must be over the top, actual threats of violence against the opposing team, or personal attacks against the opposing teams players and fans. I want a dude to spike the ball, do a throat slit towards the opposing fans, then pull out a picture of the opposing quarterback's mother and start dry humping it for the camera.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

used to be, but the nfl has been gradually clamping down

I remember when I was in high school and they specifically cracked down on players celebrating together as a group, killing the rams' then-iconic "bob and weave" dance

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »

To be fair, that seems unsafe.

But then you don't get funny internet gifs of people celebrating before the end of the race only to lose in the last metres to someone pushing all the way to the finish line.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    If only there were an alternative to the No Fun League...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrg7w-ETjL0

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

This is so silly! Unless I missed something, it's not like the dude was all "HA HA Kansas City, you all fucking suck!" He hit a wicked home run and threw his bat to the side, good lord the nerve!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There's definitely a stoic poker face no celebration or boast or showboat culture on lots of baseball

The MLB commercials were railing against it last season, haven't watched too much this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xADHS2rNRYQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uc0rIX4Z4
    It's hard to find a supercut for the LMB {Mexican league} as most you find are from homerun derbies from All star games
    Generally the Mexican League baseball is in that weird place between Minor league and Major league yet being it's own league

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKdFAVn5GI

Youtube really needs better automoderation options.

YouTube moderation is broken by design. Because YouTube ties channels to accounts (an archaic decision that no longer makes sense), channel owners cannot hire moderators without giving them full control of the channel.
    I like Yahtzee's sense of humor alright, on the whole, I actually enjoyed Mogworld a fair bit which apparently makes me something of a standout, on these forums at least. I feel like, apart from simply it being something he's done a long time, he used to give somewhat more thorough opinions about things on Zero Punctuation, and he would talk about games he liked more often, or about things games did well, even if he didn't like the game overall. I feel it was a bit of a feedback loop. A lot of people preferred his negative stuff to his positive stuff, so he did more negative stuff because there just wasn't the audience for that sort of thing, but the more he and/or the Escapist moved to satisfy that audience with Zero Punctuation the more it became synonymous with his brand and what people who watched Zero Punctuation were after.

One could draw many deeper meanings and lessons from this, personally I just miss his older somewhat more varied content.

Bob Chipman did a video on the dangers of "chasing the dragon" of negative reviews (I'll have to look for it later - mobile search isn't condusive to finding it.) He wrote it as a counterpoint to his Pixels review, because that review brought him a lot of viewers because it was so negative - and he felt that was a path he wasn't comfortable with going just to get viewers. I think that Yahtzee is tired of it as well, given things like Dev Diary.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Baseball has a lot of unwritten rules that are...kinda enforced by dumb garbage babies who are also 35 years old, but MLB as a whole has started to embrace players doing goofy celebrations, at least from a marketing perspective, and there are a bunch of younger players who manifestly don't give a shit about unwritten rules, and the sport is generally better for it

This year in particular, there seems to be an uptick in players talking shit and actually enjoying themselves playing baseball, and it's made everything a bit more fun like:

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    bat flip season

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    bat flip season

I really like how in KBO and in NPB where they hit and run it out. None of the homerun after homerun
    I like the "hustle" style of baseball compared to the boring slug fests since the roid era

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    there's a lot of sports where you can feel the players grinding against the withered old white dudes who wrote the rules about what is Culture

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Randomly found some music in my recommendations I like a lot. The algorithm did something right for once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=don_p8iPYoQ

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I mean hell, I get if a guy hits a home run off you and goes too far with the celebration it's going to sting, but throwing the ball at him in response is just chickenshit, it proves nothing except that the pitcher is a spiteful baby.

Strike him out next time, and give him a little back then, stare him down as he walks back to the bench or something.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/tOYk6t9wG5c

Don't talk shit when the game's this close and also you look like this guy

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

it got 100% better when they showed him without his hat and his hair is so very dumb

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My biggest bugbear with Loud Angry Internet Reviewers (which I admittedly watched a lot of back in the day) is how many of them have gone on record saying that they don't do many positive reviews because it's hard to make a funny review about something they like/the fans don't like it. I know fandoms can be fickle, but I don't especially care when the end result has been tons of imitators further poisoning the water and a lot of fans not realising that your persona is a bit.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    It's always easier to destroy than to build.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    that pitcher went for the Chicken Little look

or his hat messed it up I dunno

but damn

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    As a coach, I'm 100% in support of celebration as long as it's respectful of the other team and is done after a score/win.

If you showboat while running in a goal or touchdown and get tackled or blocked, or if you celebrate winning a race and fall or get overtaken before the finish line, you're never playing for me again.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

it got 100% better when they showed him without his hat and his hair is so very dumb

That dude totally owned up to it and gave mad respect to Vanderbilt afterwards and it all ended up being v cool and v awesome and v what baseball should allow to happen

• Options
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm 100% on board with shit talking and over the top celebrations as long as everyone involved is aware that every so often, you're gonna talk some good good shit and you're going to extremely fuck up and you can't react by being a little pissbaby

• Options
    The best trash talkers don’t stop just because they’re losing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    The best trash talkers don’t stop just because they’re losing.

Honestly the most endearing trash talkers come from sorry-ass-underdogs

Browns fans are (were) the best shit talkers. It’s going to suck this year when they only win 7 games and it all comes back to punch us in the mouth...

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I only like trash talking that is creative. Lazy trash talking is stupid.

"Your team sucks" like dog that is factually incorrect we've won 3 times more championships than you.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    One time at a Rockies game I had the good fortune to sit behind the undiscovered Lenny Bruce of baseball heckling. The man was four beers loaded *perpetually* for the whole game, and he was a master. No blue material, nothing inappropriate...but if you made poor fashion choices, or if the trade you got handed wasn't what you wanted, if you'd had run-ins with the law, or if your fucking high school career had some colorful notes in there, this dude knew about it, and was very, *aggressively* interested on getting the player's takes on these subjects

It was annoying for exactly half an inning before we realized "we're in the presence of a genius, this is clearly the best part of the game"

mrpaku on
This discussion has been closed.