As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

YouTube is a series of video essays

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    I can't believe the core gameplay of Borderlands and Diablo and such are even still such a big thing.. Are we still so entranced by sorting through endless piles of slightly different-numbered carnival prizes?

I can't believe the core gameplay of Final Fantasy and Pokemon and such are even still such a big thing.. Are we still so entranced by sorting through endless menus of slightly different-numbered attacks?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    My plan with BL3 is that if it rates well, I'll just buy it when it's super cheap. Granted I have a backlog of games, so it's fairly easy to pass up on it, even if it rates highly. Also I feel like a core component of it, isn't exactly new or unique. Most mmos, rpgs and all clickers are essentially loot treadmills, where the primary thing keeping the game going is that you kill the next biggest asshole of the game's universe to get an even shinier shiny than what your currently have and it makes your numbers bigger. I mean let's be honest, there a several big dollar game franchises where they can't really claim to have a good compelling story that makes people want to play despite the loot.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Like literally in all cases yes.

Humans love when the numbers go up.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Hence why golf sucks.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I got Sim Golf back in 2002? {I found in one of the computers a demo cd of it} I was making golf courses from hell

Like an embankment you would see in Nascar that went from the green to a curve to the hole with lake running at the bottom of the curve. or an obelisk like hole that though only 20 feet from the green it was 60 feet in the air on top of the obelisk one was like a bobsleigh course where if you hit the ball just right it would ride the course for a hole in one but it was hard to hit it.

Alas I was upset when the game went live you could not build holes like that

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

Hence why golf sucks.

I don't know what you're talking about. I always make sure to get as above par as possible. Gotta get that high score!

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The Dungeon Train episode of Adventure Time is a pretty good indictment of skinner box loot games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ILza1b7YA

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    That was a often frowned upon game we would do with various rifles and pistols
    I could do it with a m4 and sometimes with a m870

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Sorry for the snark earlier, I play a bunch of ARPGs and it's for more reasons than "the numbers keep going up!" I like the sense of progression from both gear (guns in Borderlands, stuff in Path of Exile) and character growth, (like unlocking new skills and abilities and trying new builds) and using all that stuff to do harder content (i.e. Path of Exile's entire endgame map system and Delve dungeons, higher difficulties in Borderlands, etc.)
    Like yeah, getting a shotgun that shoots 3 more pellets and has an underbarrel grenade launcher is rad, but I enjoy the things you do with them too.

That's one of the reasons I get kinda tired of the "It's the exact same as BL2" responses, tbh. It's not. Yes, you shoot people to get better guns, yes, if you ignore all the other changes and additions it's the same, but the manufacturers are different with almost every gun having multiple fire modes, the character builds are different with way more customizability, you're going to way more environments, there's new movement mechanics, the endgame progression system is different, etc. The basic core of "shoot guys to get guns to shoot bigger guys" exists but that's how it is with almost all sequels.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    So uh, technical youtube question here: because youtube is dumb and has no dedicated button for it, is there a reliable way to watch yt playlists in a reversed order? Apparently that old chrome plugin hasn't been updated in forever. There are sites that do it for you (playbackloop), but those, unlike youtube itself, don't save where you were in that list/vid

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Is that not Revolver Ocelot Cosplay?

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

It is. Now imagine doing that trick with a shotgun roughly a yard long.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzPxBhhmY8
    Puberty hit Phineas and Ferb like a truck

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in NOPE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGTcAVW0A

That Chevy Malibu belongs to the wasps now, friend.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Today in NOPE:

My inner monologue has been replaced by a distant terrified wailing.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

It is. Now imagine doing that trick with a shotgun roughly a yard long.

It's awkward but if you know the trick you can kind of pull it off
    And you will get yelled at by a LT

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Today in NOPE:

My inner monologue has been replaced by a distant terrified wailing.

Yes this is a nightmare, I mean the chevy malibu alone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/veSsIDmyQyc

Yes, this is from that Audible.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    So uh, technical youtube question here: because youtube is dumb and has no dedicated button for it, is there a reliable way to watch yt playlists in a reversed order? Apparently that old chrome plugin hasn't been updated in forever. There are sites that do it for you (playbackloop), but those, unlike youtube itself, don't save where you were in that list/vid

Not as far as i've been able to find. The firefox plugin is similarly broken, since Youtube changes itself all the damn time.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »

Not as far as i've been able to find. The firefox plugin is similarly broken, since Youtube changes itself all the damn time.

That blows! They really should add that functionality to the UI. Then again, there's a bunch of yt stuff they could and should improve...
    Thanks for the info though

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The Dungeon Train episode of Adventure Time is a pretty good indictment of skinner box loot games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ILza1b7YA

when they eventually do go to the weird cave though it was worse

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Atheraal wrote: »
    I can't believe the core gameplay of Borderlands and Diablo and such are even still such a big thing.. Are we still so entranced by sorting through endless piles of slightly different-numbered carnival prizes?

I can't believe the core gameplay of Final Fantasy and Pokemon and such are even still such a big thing.. Are we still so entranced by sorting through endless menus of slightly different-numbered attacks?

You joke, but I havent bothered to finish a Pokemon game past the first one, and a FF since 7. Again, the core gameplay is just predictable and boring to me, and I don't think the stories carry them enough to justify spending that much time doing something that essentially feels like work. I'm trying not to make this a dig at people who like these types of games, but I just have a hard time seeing why anyone would play these tired monoliths when there are so many fresh and interesting ideas coming from indie devs. Then again, I feel like the type of indie games I see coming out the most these days are side scrolling beat em ups, so maybe there just really is no accounting for taste

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I'd always assumed it was so no one could creep in and nick off with your three megs of hot ram.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    The Darkness are back! And they're Darkness than ever. (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL0dkGG_p7U

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Joe Pera Talks You To Sleep For 10 Hours | Joe Pera Talks With You | adult swim
    https://youtu.be/91wX0NRjJqg
    10:03:45

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.