As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DEATHLOOP | "The Loop of Death" | julianna may i have some lööps

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Every once in a while I get an itch and replay Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider. Just finished my latest run the other day when I decided to google info about Dishonored 3, hoping that maybe something was in development. Finding out about Deathloop so close to launch was a very pleasant surprise!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm not worried at all about the time loop concept, Arkane has already explored territory like this. Prey supports a variety of playstyles and heavily encourages repeat playthrough and exploration by design, and it adds a lot to the game. The Mooncrash DLC is basically a proto-time-loop game in design: one environment, with mandatory repeat playthroughs for each of the multiple characters and their skillsets/equipment.

So they've tackled this territory before at least somewhat and did fantastic work both times. The big difference is now they're applying the gameplay loop to a large playable space and then fitting different player styles into it.

If anything, I imagine something akin to an FPS Soulslike. You start each day, figure out how to get each boss, and then take each boss out of the "loop" so you can get to the next boss. Die and the day resets. Take too long and the day resets. Final victory is destroying whatever is causing the loop/whoever controls the loop.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The biggest system that I don't really know how it'll work out is the girl who is chasing you. How constant is that invasion or like souls game can you kinda choose to not interact with it

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    The biggest system that I don't really know how it'll work out is the girl who is chasing you. How constant is that invasion or like souls game can you kinda choose to not interact with it

You can turn it off

Well, you can turn off it being another human and just make it an AI NPC

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    While i hope this is good, i'm def holding off till reviews and possibly a special hit. Just i dunno, gut instinct around these games.
    "These games?" What kind of games? Death games, loop games, or deathloop games, or what?

Arkane/Bethesda games. Esp Bethesda published games. I think it'll be fine, i'm just not willing to put day one money down and deal with all the day 1 bugs that are likely to be there, or similar. THat's just been my millage with this stuff - yours may vary!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I've played Dishonored 1, 2, and Prey, only once each. I only ever played for the "good" endings, so I've never really engaged with Arkane's expressive combat options. I look forward to getting to play an Arkane game with zero narrative pressure to not engage with the combat systems. I hear they're pretty fun.

(yeah, I know the "narrative pressure to be good" in Prey was diegetic, but it still worked on me.)

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    GSM wrote: »
    I've played Dishonored 1, 2, and Prey, only once each. I only ever played for the "good" endings, so I've never really engaged with Arkane's expressive combat options. I look forward to getting to play an Arkane game with zero narrative pressure to not engage with the combat systems. I hear they're pretty fun.

(yeah, I know the "narrative pressure to be good" in Prey was diegetic, but it still worked on me.)

The loop part is likely to add far less time than people probably expect. I've played Prey and the Dishonored games multiple times and, obviously, a back-to-back replay of the games ends up being something like half or a third as long as the prior playthrough because everything is fresh in my memory. So I expect those first couple loops through an area are just like any first playthrough where things take longer, then later ones having you blasting through at a fraction of the time.

Personally, I'm hoping that actually "beating" the loop means defeating all the various bosses in one single day in a big speedrun but it's no big barrier because of all the new abilities and weapons you've picked up. I doubt they'll do it for the first playthrough, but I would love to see that at least as an NG+ option or something.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I recall Dishonored having a fair amount of wiggle room where you could cause some chaos without getting the bad ending.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dishonored was pretty forgiving with how many people you could kill.

The no-kill takedowns of important targets are also universally more brutal and fucked up than just killing them is. It's interesting.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I recall Dishonored having a fair amount of wiggle room where you could cause some chaos without getting the bad ending.
    Chaos is factored by your actions. Like taking nonlethal assassination options, not getting spotted, not killing civilians and guards, and hiding bodies so they aren’t discovered. So you can absolutely merc a few dudes and still maintain low chaos. I think killing less than 20% of a maps population keeps chaos low.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Yeah, I definitely killed a few guys here and there. Some in stealth, some in open combat. Still got the low chaos ending.

Going for the bad ending for the second playthrough was liberating though.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I can see this being a good 15 to 25 hour game for most people depending on how thorough they are and manage to put together the correct strategy for killing all eight enemies before the day resets on you. The real longevity is going to be in people doing challenge runs for themselves (I can not imagine there aren't speedrun achievements in this game like Resident Evil).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    (I can not imagine there aren't speedrun achievements in this game like Resident Evil).

Oof. Speed run trophies are the worst. The majority of players aren't into speed running, so all those trophies do are discourage the majority of players (why bother with any trophies if I know I won't be getting the plat because of the speed run trophy?)

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    (I can not imagine there aren't speedrun achievements in this game like Resident Evil).

Oof. Speed run trophies are the worst. The majority of players aren't into speed running, so all those trophies do are discourage the majority of players (why bother with any trophies if I know I won't be getting the plat because of the speed run trophy?)

I seriously doubt that many people give any tiny shit about trophies

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I seriously doubt that many people give any tiny shit about trophies

It's definite not zero but the folks that wouldn't buy a game because of hard trophies approaches zero.

• Options
    I'm not saying it would discourage people from buying the game, only that it would discourage people from getting the trophies.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If the trophies have clever names, I am guessing at least one will mention Hickory Dickory Dock

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Have the pc system requirements been released?

Looks like they were released today: https://www.vg247.com/deathloop-pc-specs-unlock-times#comments

Also unlocks Monday morning on STEAM if you are in the US. Will probably try it on PC first to see if performance is good.

*Cries in i5-8400 and gtx 1070ti*

• Options
    I dunno, I'm not into Speedrunning as a matter of course; however, games that are clearly designed in such a way as to encourage them I can get behind. Perfect example is Resident Evil 2 that can easily be beaten in a few hours if you have an optimal strategy.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm not saying it would discourage people from buying the game, only that it would discourage people from getting the trophies.

Depending on the game, speed run trophies can be fun. Example, original Nier requires multiple clears just to see all the endings anyway. So a speed run try was actually pretty fun and straightforward to put together.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So I've basically seen nothing about this game other than the reveal trailer

Is this basically like Majora's Mask?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Depending on the game, speed run trophies can be fun. Example, original Nier requires multiple clears just to see all the endings anyway. So a speed run try was actually pretty fun and straightforward to put together.

That's a big yikes from me too. If I really enjoy a game, I'll want to replay it multiple times. But I don't think those replays should be baked into the experience.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

That's a big yikes from me too. If I really enjoy a game, I'll want to replay it multiple times. But I don't think those replays should be baked into the experience.

The game might not be to your taste then. But to me, easily one of my favorite 360 era games and if has kicked off a very worthwhile series with similar traits.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I've heard pre-embargo hints from those with review copies that the "loop" thing and interactivity/exploration in general is way overblown in the marketing, and that this game basically amounts to a well-tuned standard FPS. So maybe reign in thinking too big about the loop stuff and pay attention to early reviews to get a picture on what style of game this even is.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I know people have already managed to buy copies here in Australia from a couple of retailers, so some footage is out there.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    I've heard pre-embargo hints from those with review copies that the "loop" thing and interactivity/exploration in general is way overblown in the marketing, and that this game basically amounts to a well-tuned standard FPS. So maybe reign in thinking too big about the loop stuff and pay attention to early reviews to get a picture on what style of game this even is.

If it's at least on par with DISHONORED 2 then I think that will be a win. And they've already said it's a puzzle game; it'll be interesting to see how well of a puzzle game it is but at least we know of what to expect gameplay wise.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Reviews are starting to come out. Some are pretty positive. The Verge liked it, IGN (10/10), Gamespot (10/10), and Game Informer (9/10) do too.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    My requirements on enjoying this game:
    • Made by Arkane

That's it. Can't wait for tomorrow!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If I don't have PS Plus (which I don't), how much am I going to be missing from this?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    If I don't have PS Plus (which I don't), how much am I going to be missing from this?

A real player controlling Juliana.

And hooboy:
    Reviews are starting to come out. Some are pretty positive. The Verge liked it, IGN (10/10), Gamespot (10/10), and Game Informer (9/10) do too.

This escalated quickly. It is now the highest rated game of the year with 70 reviews in.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    My amazon copy hasn't shipped yet, I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not gonna get it on release date. May have to cancel and order it elsewhere.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Game looks fun can't wait to play it next year when I can actually get a PS5.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Going through reviews (so you don't have to) and PC Gamer says they finished the loop in 25 hours, with still more island mysteries (Trophies/Achievements) to get to, so a decently chunky game on par with Dishonored series (haven't finished Prey). A few reviewers have described the game as "surprisingly linear. . ." with the best description of this coming from IGN Middle East: the game will connect the dots for you, instead of you figuring it out. Honestly, I figured this is how the puzzle would work out, however a no-hint system (like in HITMAN) would have been nice (even if you are given clear clues on where to go to figure something out, it is still up to you to understand how the pieces fit together).

Hopefully my 5700 and i5-8400 are able to produce decent results (something tells me those PC requirements are crazy overblown) and we shall see for ourselves in an hour and a half.

EDIT: Finishing going through these reviews and it looks like my two fears have been allayed - that the game wouldn't be chunky enough (it is, without overstaying its welcome) or that the story wouldn't be interesting (easily the most acclaimed part of the game from reviewers). That the game is less "free form" isn't a big deal (folks have been mentioning MAJORAS MASK and I feel like this might be apt - having never played the game - with there being a clear way to beating the game but that it is going to take a lot of sussing out).

ED! on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm hearing the controller haptics are pretty dang good for this game so I'm psyched about that. Good reason to get it on PS5 over PC.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm hearing the controller haptics are pretty dang good for this game so I'm psyched about that. Good reason to get it on PS5 over PC.

You can actually get the DUALSENSE features on the PC. The most consistent performance for most people is definitely going to be on the PS5 though.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Looks like it unlocks at midnight on Steam, not tomorrow, so night owls can get some loopin' in as the kids say.

• Options
    Yes, the review definitely sounds like they're lifting elements from their prior games. Starting loadouts from Mooncrash DLC, encouraging lots of exploration like Prey, a variety of interesting stealth and combat powers like the Dishonored games.

And it does sound like you might actually have to kill all 8 bosses in one day to win, which is definitely what I was hoping for. Looks like they've got a pretty lenient way of approaching time progression, though; no being rushed through the day, you can take your time exploring an area in a given time phase.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Performance is - at least at the outset - totally doable for folks looking for a 1440P/60FPS experience. Textures seem to be the most taxing on GPU performance; however - and this might change once I get to the main area, the Super Resolution option looks pretty good?

And implementation of DUALSENSE is also pretty good.

In terms of the world, right off the bat you can tell this is going to be a wild ride. And COLT and JULIANA are not even close to as annoying as I thought they would be (in terms of the constant chatter; COLT basically says everything you are thinking and JULIANA is just a minx).
    Yes, the review definitely sounds like they're lifting elements from their prior games. Starting loadouts from Mooncrash DLC, encouraging lots of exploration like Prey, a variety of interesting stealth and combat powers like the Dishonored games.

And it does sound like you might actually have to kill all 8 bosses in one day to win, which is definitely what I was hoping for. Looks like they've got a pretty lenient way of approaching time progression, though; no being rushed through the day, you can take your time exploring an area in a given time phase.

You have to kill all 8 bosses to beat the game. You can kill them any number of times though on the way to figuring out "the one true path."

EDIT: Whoa. This gets trippy real fucking fast.

ED! on