Difference between umpires and [chat]

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm not a biomechanics person but bipedalism sux and we only happened to survive and thrive because thumbs and big brains turned out to be imba by sheer luck

Bipedalism results in much more ungainly balance and weight distribution that is focused on two small ballpoints, putting extreme stress and importance on those supporting joints

Also, Killbots presumably either don't need thumbs or will have separate grappling limbs that don't map to a humanoid body, and best practices would dictate that they don't mimic a flawed, inherently unstable mechanical design in any case

Of course ideally they'll be perfect replicas of us because like a narcissistic god we like to make things in our own image and then have sex with them

So is the whole "endurance was our real key to hunting" thing a myth of evolutionary biology?

I thought that the big brains were a response to walking a deer to death across the Savannah.

we don't need a big brain for that, we just need our ability to sweat and cope with heat

The book I read suggested we developed oversized blood vessels going to and from the brain as another form of cooling and that in turn developed the brain because it's go "hot pipes"

I should probably find that book and see if it's be thoroughly debunked.

that's not a thing that creates an evolutionary pressure to get big brains

but it is a thing that allows us to develop big brains, so, dunno, maybe?

I mean, the thesis was basically our big brains are probably an evolutionary accident/side product of the evolutionary pressure toward bipedalism and environment.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    also, completely random fun fact I learned just now, at least one of the steel plates the Oslo waterworks uses to bridge ditches is from the wreck of the Tirpitz. Unknown just how many, but at least this one.

3a3683cf-4afd-460f-b6cb-b175b955912e?fit=crop&h=550&w=834&s=5ed5c08dedfadd359d72776eaed706ea40cf6603
    That's awesome, and I know you don't follow the OSH Act or OSHA, but my construction hackles are raised by nobody throwing any cones down for that big dark hole on a dark street.

I'm pretty sure they're in the middle of something in that picture

(they also probably would not get away with just putting down cones. Hence the construction fences.)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I think we should just produce biological weapons both micro and macro

Mechanical terror is so 20th Century

Why not both?

ff46924524eb8e7d0efdfb3451217417d46f7f2c_hq.gif

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I'm not a biomechanics person but bipedalism sux and we only happened to survive and thrive because thumbs and big brains turned out to be imba by sheer luck

Bipedalism results in much more ungainly balance and weight distribution that is focused on two small ballpoints, putting extreme stress and importance on those supporting joints

Also, Killbots presumably either don't need thumbs or will have separate grappling limbs that don't map to a humanoid body, and best practices would dictate that they don't mimic a flawed, inherently unstable mechanical design in any case

Of course ideally they'll be perfect replicas of us because like a narcissistic god we like to make things in our own image and then have sex with them

So is the whole "endurance was our real key to hunting" thing a myth of evolutionary biology?

I thought that the big brains were a response to walking a deer to death across the Savannah.

we don't need a big brain for that, we just need our ability to sweat and cope with heat

The book I read suggested we developed oversized blood vessels going to and from the brain as another form of cooling and that in turn developed the brain because it's go "hot pipes"

I mean, the thesis was basically our big brains are probably an evolutionary accident/side product of the evolutionary pressure toward bipedalism and environment.

which makes it sound a lot more plausible than all the theories that go like this had that purpose

like everything is an evolutionary accident or side product, really, it's how it works

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If I get a plane can I make myself an anime girl on it?

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Heavy Gear did the "walking mech with a tracked/wheeled mode" thing p well.

armored vehicle + heavy lift helicopter = boom way better solution

hm I don't see how that gets u a stompy mech at all

stompy mechs are useless designs

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular

yes

• Options
    what about the evolutionary pressure to create chicken or egg dichotomies

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You don't need a plane, the only thing stopping you from becoming an anime girl is you

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    four legs good

two legs bad

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    also, completely random fun fact I learned just now, at least one of the steel plates the Oslo waterworks uses to bridge ditches is from the wreck of the Tirpitz. Unknown just how many, but at least this one.

3a3683cf-4afd-460f-b6cb-b175b955912e?fit=crop&h=550&w=834&s=5ed5c08dedfadd359d72776eaed706ea40cf6603
    That's awesome, and I know you don't follow the OSH Act or OSHA, but my construction hackles are raised by nobody throwing any cones down for that big dark hole on a dark street.

(they also probably would not get away with just putting down cones. Hence the construction fences.)
    Yes with OSHA they would need guardrails, and the construction fence protects people outside from getting into the construction area, the guard rails are to protect the construction workers from falling in. No guard rails, not in compliance, where that orange spray paint is should have a guard rail. Cones are often used when it's something that they are doing within a day, it's not OSHA compliant, but that's what most teams do, especially utility teams.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's a shame that mechs have generally crowded out all other sci-fi war machines when it comes to being the focus of a series. There's a bunch of cool stuff you could do with stuff other than mechs that we just don't get to see a lot of. Would love to see a series focused on future tanks or future VTOL gunships as the dominant force on the battlefield.

• Options
    Our big oxygen hungry brains is why we kinda suck at most other stuff

• Options
    edited June 2019
    the boston dynamics stuff that is a very fancy very very complicated high maintenance way to do the job of a donkey in say, mountains of afghanistan, is kind of the only use case I can see for vehicles with legs

big stompy mechs are like the pure fantasy we're-losing-the-war-so-all-the-engineers-are-huffing-the-paint gigantic german tank designs like the Landkreuzer P1000 Ratte, except one of them went "VE MADE ZE TRACTION SYSTEM *sniiiiiiiiiff* EVEN VORSE AND VE ARE PUTTING IT ON ITS SIDE HA HA"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hey um ... so Philly came close to getting wiped out the other day? How is this not one of the biggest stories everywhere? I only just heard about it, and that was 3 days after the fact. Yikes.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    look whatever you end up designing is fine but
    the mech has to step on me

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Right but a donkey-goat with a gun on it

no, wait ---- two guns

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Hey um ... so Philly came close to getting wiped out the other day? How is this not one of the biggest stories everywhere? I only just heard about it, and that was 3 days after the fact. Yikes.

huh?

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Our big oxygen hungry brains is why we kinda suck at most other stuff

I'm not sure what you're getting at, said the man who wears a mask to help force air down his throat while he sleeps.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

which makes it sound a lot more plausible than all the theories that go like this had that purpose

like everything is an evolutionary accident or side product, really, it's how it works

We're really just a perfect storm of a clusterfuck of mutations that are kind of shitty by themselves, but when put together turned us into an unstoppable monstrosity that can hunt any prey and adapt to almost any environment

• Options
    Right but a donkey-goat with a gun on it

no, wait ---- two guns

a four sided donkey-goat-donkey-goat hypercube so that it can never truly fall over

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Chanus wrote: »
    four legs good

two legs bad
    Exceptions are made for things that have wings.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Quadrupedal robot which can deploy wheels from its feet or lower joints for greater speed on flat surfaces

Weapons or appendages clustered on the top, maybe with the ability to extend and retract for better angles

This is what I would expect to see, seems easiest and most effective. The trouble is building a fast, effective quadruped system. Most animals aren't even that good at managing rough terrain.

Weirder stuff, maybe — a rolling ball of semi-fluid material as the "wheel," which can stretch and deform to accommodate various kinds of terrain? Some kind of malevolent slimy BB8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTDL4ulCzCE

Soft robotics tech is interesting, and is likely going to be amazing for things like navigating rubble looking for survivors after building collapses etc.

It also has military applications because its movement capabilities are internal, are kept low, and the things you could make with its type of locomotion are all themselves low profile.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

We're really just a perfect storm of a clusterfuck of mutations that are kind of shitty by themselves, but when put together turned us into an unstoppable monstrosity that can hunt any prey and adapt to almost any environment

but can't just say we're sorry

• Options

huh?
    What did philly do?

• Options

Yes with OSHA they would need guardrails, and the construction fence protects people outside from getting into the construction area, the guard rails are to protect the construction workers from falling in. No guard rails, not in compliance, where that orange spray paint is should have a guard rail. Cones are often used when it's something that they are doing within a day, it's not OSHA compliant, but that's what most teams do, especially utility teams.

there's a certain level of drop needed for guard rails

I do know that with ditches the most critical thing is the angle of the sides and/or securing the sides - collapsing is a much bigger danger than falling in, once you're keeping people who are not doing work in said ditch from falling in

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    They can't give both Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris max contracts so I presume the city has descended into tribal factions, each supporting their kings

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    It's a shame that mechs have generally crowded out all other sci-fi war machines when it comes to being the focus of a series. There's a bunch of cool stuff you could do with stuff other than mechs that we just don't get to see a lot of. Would love to see a series focused on future tanks or future VTOL gunships as the dominant force on the battlefield.

I would lose nothing I love about mech games if it was instead about driving around big fuck-off future tanks

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

huh?
    What did philly do?

What's this?

*googles*

Massive fire and explosion near a hydrofluoric acid tank holy shit

• Options
    edited June 2019

there's a certain level of drop needed for guard rails

I do know that with ditches the most critical thing is the angle of the sides and/or securing the sides - collapsing is a much bigger danger than falling in, once you're keeping people who are not doing work in said ditch from falling in
    It's 6 ft, that trench looks deeper than 6 ft.

1926.501(b)(4)(i)
    Each employee on walking/working surfaces shall be protected from falling through holes (including skylights) more than 6 feet (1.8 m) above lower levels, by personal fall arrest systems, covers, or guardrail systems erected around such holes.

1926.501(b)(4)(ii)
    Each employee on a walking/working surface shall be protected from tripping in or stepping into or through holes (including skylights) by covers.

Yes You have a trench box, but you don't have an OSHA compliant ladder...I can't stop seeing safety violations all over the site. My mind isn't letting me look away.

zepherin on
  • Options

huh?
    What did philly do?

What's this?

*googles*

Massive fire and explosion near a hydrofluoric acid tank holy shit

oh yeah that sounds kind of bad

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

huh?

Exactly.

There was a massive explosion at a Sunoco refinery on Friday. There was a (graphic, so not linking it) thread on Twitter talking about the chemicals at that plant, and how an event like this could have been worse than the Bhopal plant explosion in India in 1984.

The fireball was huge, it looked like the whole place went up.

• Options

huh?

Exactly.

There was a massive explosion at a Sunoco refinery on Friday. There was a (graphic, so not linking it) thread on Twitter talking about the chemicals at that plant, and how an event like this could have been worse than the Bhopal plant explosion in India in 1984.

The fireball was huge, it looked like the whole place went up.

damn

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I know all about the explosion in Philadelphia because I saw it being discussed in my Twitter feed

now who's an echo chamber

• Options
    You should never have enough hydrofluoric acid in one place that it can be described as a "tank" imo

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    You should never have enough hydrofluoric acid in one place that it can be described as a "tank" imo
    according to the article i read and am now using to pass myself as an expert
    the majority of refineries rely on HF as a catalyst even though they could use H2SO4 as an alternative
    they refuse to change to it because even though H2SO4 is safer, the operating costs for the refinery would double or triple

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hydrofluoric acid is a nightmare substance that can melt glass and even metal, and it can cause horrific tissue damage and systemic failure in the human body, sometimes without initial pain

A cloud of that over a city would.... It's best not to imagine I guess

• Options
    It's always face melty in Philadelphia

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hydrofluoric acid is a nightmare substance that can melt glass and even metal, and it can cause horrific tissue damage and systemic failure in the human body, sometimes without initial pain

A cloud of that over a city would.... It's best not to imagine I guess

dilute enough that worst case your eyes and lungs melt?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I'm on board with the macrobiological weapons idea

fuck mechs, we'll breed creatures in labs that can withstand the recoil of the 40mm cannons we'll graft to them (in later iterations the gun will also be grown)

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.