As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Found To Have Committed Sexual Assault by NY Jury

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited May 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
First of all: content warning if you click the link.

On Friday, New York Magazine posted an article by long time advice columnist E. Jean Carroll titled "Hideous Men." on The Cut. It's going to be in the magazine when it is released tomorrow. In it she alleges sexual wrongdoing by a number of powerful men like the former chairman of CBS, Les Moonves. But the one getting the most attention is an incident she describes as happening in the mid 90s, where Donald Trump raped her in a department store. She told two friends about it at the time, both of whom are apparently fairly prominent in the New York media. NYM contacted those two women who confirmed that she told them about the incident in the 90s. One of them said they had to go to the police, the other said that Trump has so many lawyers that he would bury her and destroy her career. They also confirm those reactions.

This marks I believe the 16th woman to allege various levels of sexual assault against the president. This one, if you read it, is clearly just rape.

Two things about this:

1) Obviously, it's the president being accused of rape. That's a big fucking deal.
2) The media reaction to this story has been... I dunno, muted? I know there's a lot going on this weekend with the potential war with Iran, the crimes against humanity on the border, etc. etc. But it was very briefly on CNN's front page. The LA Times used a wire report about it. The NYT wrote it in the Books section instead of in the news parts. For the first 10 hours the only mention you could find on the Washington Post's website about it was an opinion piece decrying how male editors wouldn't give a shit. But somewhere a report on it existed, because it was the most read story on the website when I looked on Friday night. None of the TV networks led with it or even covered it on Friday, I think.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    And, naturally, our nightmare president claims it's made up, despite an easily traceable history of him not giving a shit about women and their rights.

I believe her, as everyone should, and not just because of the "Grab Em" report.

Any other president would be sunk by this, and the fact that it was barely even reported on should be concerning.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    First of all: content warning if you click the link.

On Friday, New York Magazine posted an article by long time advice columnist E. Jean Carroll titled "Hideous Men." on The Cut. It's going to be in the magazine when it is released tomorrow. In it she alleges sexual wrongdoing by a number of powerful men like the former chairman of CBS, Les Moonves. But the one getting the most attention is an incident she describes as happening in the mid 90s, where Donald Trump raped her in a department store. She told two friends about it at the time, both of whom are apparently fairly prominent in the New York media. NYM contacted those two women who confirmed that she told them about the incident in the 90s. One of them said they had to go to the police, the other said that Trump has so many lawyers that he would bury her and destroy her career. They also confirm those reactions.

This marks I believe the 16th woman to allege various levels of sexual assault against the president. This one, if you read it, is clearly just rape.

Two things about this:

1) Obviously, it's the president being accused of rape. That's a big fucking deal.
    2) The media reaction to this story has been... I dunno, muted? I know there's a lot going on this weekend with the potential war with Iran, the crimes against humanity on the border, etc. etc. But it was very briefly on CNN's front page. The LA Times used a wire report about it. The NYT wrote it in the Books section instead of in the news parts. For the first 10 hours the only mention you could find on the Washington Post's website about it was an opinion piece decrying how male editors wouldn't give a shit. But somewhere a report on it existed, because it was the most read story on the website when I looked on Friday night. None of the TV networks led with it or even covered it on Friday, I think.

Well, that was on the money, at least.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    And, naturally, our nightmare president claims it's made up, despite an easily traceable history of him not giving a shit about women and their rights.

I believe her, as everyone should, and not just because of the "Grab Em" report.

Any other president would be sunk by this, and the fact that it was barely even reported on should be concerning.

More to the point he claimed he had never met E Jean. Carroll. There's a photo of the two of them together at some function in the article.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I did appreciate that the response to his claim he never met her was followed in a lot of reports and tweets with a picture of Trump and wife (Ivana) talking to the victim and her husband.

Basically "You're clearly lying" in picture form.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Sadly this won't mean anything.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

I'm figuring the same. A low chance after all the previous instances became a no chance after the Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford resolution.

If it doesn't get reported to authorities immediately, along with video of the attack, then it never happened, apparently.

Makes me so fucking angry.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    This was front page news on the CBC this past Friday. I was a bit confused at the lack of a reaction elsewhere. There is also apparently a coat from the incident that has been stored the whole time and never washed.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    This was front page news on the CBC this past Friday. I was a bit confused at the lack of a reaction elsewhere. There is also apparently a coat from the incident that has been stored the whole time and never washed.

Could DNA evidence survive that long?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Statute of limitations is up anyway. When New York extended it they didn't make it retroactive.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Rachael Denhollander is the woman who became the public face of the Larry Nassar survivors. Here she's rephrasing her thesis from her victim impact statement "how much is a little girl worth?" She's also calling out her fellow evangelical Christians in this post.

Her answer to that question, by the way: everything.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Statute of limitations is up anyway. When New York extended it they didn't make it retroactive.

I don't think that applies to the court of public opinion. Not sure how you'd get the testing done, though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    This section from E. Jean Carroll's article really says it all:
    Why haven't I "come forward" before now?

Receiving death threats, being driven from my home, being dismissed, being dragged through the mud, and joining the 15 women who've come forward with credible stories about how the man grabbed, badgered, belittled, mauled, molested, and assaulted them, only to see the man turn it around, deny, threaten, and attack them, never sounded like much fun. Also, I am a coward

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The CBC article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/e-jean-carroll-donald-trump-new-york-magazine-1.5185627
    She notes that the Donna Karan coatdress she wore that day still hangs on the back of her closet door, unworn and unlaundered.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

It won't mean anything because you can't gather physical evidence on an alledged rape that was claimed to occur decades ago.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Receiving death threats, being driven from my home, being dismissed, being dragged through the mud, and joining the 15 women who've come forward with credible stories about how the man grabbed, badgered, belittled, mauled, molested, and assaulted them, only to see the man turn it around, deny, threaten, and attack them, never sounded like much fun. Also, I am a coward

I disagree with the last sentence. While it is brave to speak out, keeping silent in the face of all the repercussions she was likely to suffer (that she went and listed), is not the opposite of brave.

She is no coward for not coming forward then. Anita Hill happened not long before. Clinton's scandal happened not long after. Being concerned of the consequences that would rain down on you is not cowardly.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2019

It won't mean anything because you can't gather physical evidence on an alledged rape that was claimed to occur decades ago.

It won't mean anything because the whole country - the whole world - has just accepted he's a rapist. His supporters don't credibly refute it - they simply don't think it's disqualifying.

I had a guy tell me a few weeks ago that Trump won because people were sick of the "double standards that let democrats get away with sexual misconduct while republicans get punished for it." I wasn't keen on dissecting the complex cognitive leaps going on there, but I'm sure that for quite a lot of people, the sexual violence of the Trump administration is a feature, not a bug.

tynic on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    So, Trump denies even knowing this woman. So if they test her dress and it comes back positive as his DNA (and also his semen) then what does the excuse shift to?
    Obviously Trump will claim they had consensual sex, but if he denied even knowing her that’s a wild shift in his story.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

I disagree with the last sentence. While it is brave to speak out, keeping silent in the face of all the repercussions she was likely to suffer (that she went and listed), is not the opposite of brave.

She is no coward for not coming forward then. Anita Hill happened not long before. Clinton's scandal happened not long after. Being concerned of the consequences that would rain down on you is not cowardly.

She's being self-deprecatingly sarcastic.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    So, Trump denies even knowing this woman. So if they test her dress and it comes back positive as his DNA (and also his semen) then what does the excuse shift to?
    Obviously Trump will claim they had consensual sex, but if he denied even knowing her that’s a wild shift in his story.

The only "truth" Trump cares about is the current one. We've seen it over and over again. The problem is, whether you support, oppose, or are currently indifferent to him, being caught in a lie isn't going to change how the vast majority see him.

Sadly, it's become accepted that the current President is a known compulsive liar, and have it "baked in" to their assessment of him. While I hope not everything he does is normalized, lies definitely seem to be.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Is it any surprise that a man who claims his position of power lets him grab woman's genitals turns out to be a rapist?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Joe Biden touching a woman’s shoulder got 50 times as much coverage

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    There is no chance Trump would voluntarily submit to a DNA test, or cooperate with any kind of forensic investigation, and nobody will ever compel him to cooperate. So it probably doesn't much matter what hypothetical forensic evidence might show.

The best case scenario is that people by and large believe Carroll's story and it becomes part of common knowledge, in the same way that everyone knows that Trump as an adulterer and a liar and a racist. And just as 40% of the country doesn't care that Trump is a lying racist adulterous misogynist, they also won't care that he's a rapist.

It's still important to get this story out there, and we should absolutely be talking about it, but nothing is really going to change.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Is it any surprise that a man who claims his position of power lets him grab woman's genitals turns out to be a rapist?

The dismissal of "locker room talk" by his supporters really reinforces how rape culture is just culture to them.

• Options

The dismissal of "locker room talk" by his supporters really reinforces how rape culture is just culture to them.

Also how Hilary's claim of half of Trump’s supporters as being deplorable was sadly, a significant underestimation.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Half was an optimistic assessment.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    There is no chance Trump would voluntarily submit to a DNA test, or cooperate with any kind of forensic investigation, and nobody will ever compel him to cooperate. So it probably doesn't much matter what hypothetical forensic evidence might show.

The best case scenario is that people by and large believe Carroll's story and it becomes part of common knowledge, in the same way that everyone knows that Trump as an adulterer and a liar and a racist. And just as 40% of the country doesn't care that Trump is a lying racist adulterous misogynist, they also won't care that he's a rapist.

It's still important to get this story out there, and we should absolutely be talking about it, but nothing is really going to change.

Some will just deny reality instead of accepting it but not caring. Like my brother who denies that Trump is a nepotist, despite Trump hiring both his daughter and son-in-law. (Those were not a fun series of conversations.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    To focus solely on the Trump part of the article and say nothing is going to happen also misses the point of a lot of what she wrote

Which is that she had so many instances of rape, assault or harassment perpetrated towards her, that this is a systemic thing, and that it's not just one bad man, but an entire culture that allows for this behaviour to go so unpunished and unacknowledged one of them could become President

Obviously the Trump part is the most relevant to everyone in a political sense, but she is also trying to show that there's a common denominator in that behaviour, in that men keep getting away with this shit

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm sure that the titular nod to DFW's "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" was not accidental. There's a strong link between gross predatory behaviour and success in certain sectors of business and politics. It will be ignored not because Trump is a special case, but precisely because he isn't.

• Options
    Cello wrote: »
    To focus solely on the Trump part of the article and say nothing is going to happen also misses the point of a lot of what she wrote

Which is that she had so many instances of rape, assault or harassment perpetrated towards her, that this is a systemic thing, and that it's not just one bad man, but an entire culture that allows for this behaviour to go so unpunished and unacknowledged one of them could become President

Obviously the Trump part is the most relevant to everyone in a political sense, but she is also trying to show that there's a common denominator in that behaviour, in that men keep getting away with this shit

Nicole Auerbach is USA Today's lead college sports writer.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    So... apparently a poll was put into the field by someone looking into the previous accusations of sexual assault, possibly before this latest accusation was made (the timing appears unclear), and frankly, it's sickening.

- Samara Klar is a political scientist and Professor at University of Arizona.

Basically, of a survey of people who have stated categorically that they would be voting for Trump in 2020, 7% think that the accusations against Trump are Definitely True. Another 12% think they are Probably True. A further 25% thing they are Maybe True. There's more information in the tweet thread.

These people are monsters. How the EVERLIVING FUCK could you say "Yup, he absolutely/probably raped someone, but I'll be voting for him anyways.", and live with yourself afterwards?

I just... what the fuck. I'd root for Asteroid 2020, but these people are such cockroaches they'd probably survive.

MorganV on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The reason that these people can say the allegations are definitely true and still vote for Trump is because they have committed the same acts themselves. They don't want to see Trump punished because they themselves don't want to be punished.

• Options
    The reason that these people can say the allegations are definitely true and still vote for Trump is because they have committed the same acts themselves. They don't want to see Trump punished because they themselves don't want to be punished.

There's also a lot of Bill Clinton/Ted Kennedy/etc so fuck you.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I mean... if it came out in 2020 that the Democratic candidate for POTUS was a rapist, how would you vote?

There are people who genuinely believe - wrongly - that liberals want to destroy the country, so Trump's having raped a woman or ten is still the lesser evil.

Doesn't make it any less gross, but let's not reduce our ideological opponents to caricatures.

• Options
    When your definition of "destroying the country" involves following intentional law regarding refugees and not being a racist piece of shit...

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

I mean... if it came out in 2020 that the Democratic candidate for POTUS was a rapist, how would you vote?

There are people who genuinely believe - wrongly - that liberals want to destroy the country, so Trump's having raped a woman or ten is still the lesser evil.

Doesn't make it any less gross, but let's not reduce our ideological opponents to caricatures.

They are exactly those people. See literally any interview with any Republican about the crimes against humanity on the border or a black kid killed by police.

And we would not vote for that person.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    There are many people in the world who (very wrongly) don't think raping a woman is that bad. They view it as a sin from the woman, to have sent the wrong message to the man, and to have failed to preserve her chastity. Rape is a crime you commit, in their eyes, against a woman's husband not the woman. And as such, if a woman is neither a virgin nor married then raping her is a marginal transgression, like jay walking.

Rape is in fact an important part of the moral code enforcement for them. They usually would not rape themselves, most men don't and wouldn't (woman are raped in large numbers becaude rapists tend to rape many different women throughout their lives) but they are very happy that there are rapists out there because otherwise women would be too comfortable with their own sexuality.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    So... apparently a poll was put into the field by someone looking into the previous accusations of sexual assault, possibly before this latest accusation was made (the timing appears unclear), and frankly, it's sickening.

Basically, of a survey of people who have stated categorically that they would be voting for Trump in 2020, 7% think that the accusations against Trump are Definitely True. Another 12% think they are Probably True. A further 25% thing they are Maybe True. There's more information in the tweet thread.

These people are monsters. How the EVERLIVING FUCK could you say "Yup, he absolutely/probably raped someone, but I'll be voting for him anyways.", and live with yourself afterwards?

I just... what the fuck. I'd root for Asteroid 2020, but these people are such cockroaches they'd probably survive.

I'd be very interested in seeing what the MoE was for that survey.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

I'd be very interested in seeing what the MoE was for that survey.

Sample size was about a thousand. So for the Trump voter subset probably n = 400-500, which if you throw in a margin of error calculator, you get 4%.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    When your definition of "destroying the country" involves following intentional law regarding refugees and not being a racist piece of shit...

Very funny. I'm thinking more of people who honestly believe Democrats/socialist policies will bring economic ruin, because those are the lies they've been taught.

Look, I'm just as frustrated with misinformed/idiot/bigoted conservative voters as the rest of you; but the insistence on these forums that they're all mustache-twirling evil xenophobes is tiresome. I felt the same way listening to crazy people in church ranting that liberals wanted to outlaw religion, kill grandma, and force your kids to be gay.

edit: to put it another way: there are plenty of actual reasons to be angry at these people without needing to invent new ones.

Calica on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    EDIT: Nevermind.

enlightenedbum on