As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    So that Widow game showed up in my replays again but I tried recording with the Windows features and my computer is too trash to make a video that isn't a jerky mess. Sad day.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    don't suppose you have a friend with the game whose client you can log into? i record my replays using my roommate's PC (onto an external hdd) cos i haven't been able to get the built-in AMD software working anymore

worst case uhh take a video on your phone

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    That might be more on the Windows Game Bar thing than your computer (or maybe both). It's had a history of causing performance issues even just by being turned on. I just turned it on and did a test recording and it was pretty janky; really choppy at the beginning and end, awful audio quality.

If you've got an Nvidia card, the Geforce Experience software has a recording part that is really good (used to be called Shadowplay but I think they dropped that name). And if that's not an option you could always use OBS to record, but it can be a bit daunting at first to learn how to use it.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Still building material for a clipshow, but here's my favorite DM kill in quite some time. It happens very quickly and the killfeed cuts out immediately because it ends the match.

https://youtu.be/ZO5dDCEyUzc

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Big PTR balance patch just released:

D.Va Defense Matrix buffed - regen increased from 12.5% to 16%, and regeneration delay decreased from 1 sec to .75 sec Sigma can basically do D.Va's job better than she can with her DM, so she's getting a bit of help. Like many of the other changes, it's also walking back nerfs made during the goats era, since now Blizz doesn't have to worry about people stacking tanks or supports.

Orisa Nerfed - Protective Barrier cooldown increased again, from 9 to 10 seconds. Orisa's gotten a lot of various QoL changes that have made her pretty dang good, Blizz obv don't want to change those but still need to nerf her shield uptime. Worth a try, I'm not sure it'll be enough on its own. They seem to be going for incremental changes on her though.

Roadhog buffed - ammunition increased from 5 to 6. Improves Roadhog's sustained damage and shieldbreak potential. Guy could definitely use it, he used to really be the king of tank vs tank fights but he doesn't have much of a niche these days.

Sigma gets multiple nerfs
    Kinetic Grasp no longer blocks chain hook or whip shot. Hog rejoice.
    Gravitic Flux - lift effect reduced from 1.2 to 0.9 seconds. Less time for your teammates to blast vulnerable enemies, though also less time for allies to pop support ults. Still more of a nerf though.
    Experimental Barrier - Regen reduced from 175 to 150 / sec. Cast time removed, but 1 second cooldown after recalling the barrier. So technically he can deploy his barrier faster than before, but he also can't constantly re-deploy them willy-nilly. Except in certain edge cases it's an important nerf, and could be incrementally increased from here if needed.

Winston's Barrier buffed - Duration increased from 6 to 9 seconds. Health increased from 600 to 700. Winston's been pretty weak as a tank ever since the armor change, so this is a reasonable buff for him. I'm not crazy about increasing barrier health on anyone though.

Baptiste immortality field nerfed - Health decreased from 250 to 200. A lot of people online have been asking for this change, it makes sense to me. It was a little too easy to save people just from forcing the enemy team to put out 250 damage on a drone, instead of through good timing or smart placement.

Lucio's old speed aura nerf reverted. Crossfade speed +20% -> +25%. Amp it up +50% -> +60% speed. Wall ride speed reduced from +40% to +30%. This was changed back during goats, now that we're in 2/2/2 it's not surprising to see it reverted. It could help non Sigma/Orisa comps close range and pursue into bunker type comps.

Mercy's Valkyrie buffed - Extra beams from Valkyrie now ignore enemy barriers. I actually had no idea the extra beams were affected by barriers, so I'm glad to see it act more like Mercy's regular beam!

Moira self-healing nerfed: 30 hp/s to 20 hp/s. This seems like part of a general effort to make double barrier comps more divable.

Doomfist nerfed: Rocket Punch time to reach max charge increased from 1 -> 1.4 sec. Shield health gained per hit reduced from 35 to 30. IIRC the shield health gain is another reverted nerf from GoatsTimes. The max charge increase seems a bit surprisingly large though?

Sombra nerfed: Cooldown increased from 4 to 6 seconds. CD begins immediately upon deploying the beacon or if it is killed by an enemy. Another goats-era buff revision iirc? I'm a little fuzzy on what the CD change means exactly.

Symmetra nerfed: Photon Barrier duration reduced from 15 to 12 seconds. Health reduced from 5k to 4k. Sentry Turret DPS reduced from 50 to 40. Players impacted by Symmetra's beam should hear a louder impact sound. Photon Barrier's been pretty stupid good for a while and this change seems reasonable. They probably wanted to drop her overall damage capacity without lowering her beam any more, so nerfing turrets works for me. Turret bombs are annoying anyway.

TRACER BUFFED?!?!?!?! - Damage falloff now starts at 13 meters instead of 10.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I agree that increasing shield health for anyone is not a great call. I'd rather see a nerf to Sigma's barrier health alongside the increase to Orisa's barrier cooldown.

I love the Lucio re-buff, the Baptiste nerf, the Moira nerf, and the Doomfist nerf. Doomfist's charge time increase in particular is nice. Just makes it a little more dicey to get the one shot combo on squishies.

The Tracer nerf is a little woah though. Like she might be insane again. She's already the highest skill ceiling character in the game and this looks like it just lowers her skill floor which I guess isn't a super bad thing? Depends on how it works outside of double barrier. Maybe it makes her viable in double barrier but if it makes top level Tracers even more overwhelming outside of double barrier comps then I'm not sure I like it.

• Options
    It's been so long since I've had to deal with a really good Tracer that I'd be A-OK with her coming back into the meta.

Plus crazy Tracers are fun to watch.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    lucio reverted huzzahhhhh

all of these changes sound pretty damn good on paper

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Mmm yes hog buffs.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    10 seconds hoo boy i was having a rough time at 9

but i'll keep at it, i like playing as orisa!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It’s perfect. Back to my preferred lineup of Tracer/Lucio/Hog as my mains in each role.

• Options
    The Sombra change is interesting. Cooldown starts right away when you deploy it but also restarts if it's destroyed? So if you keep it safe then you're rewarded with the ability to immediately recast it. But if you use it too aggresively and it gets destroyed then you get punished. Seems like they want more tactical play from Sombra instead of hyper aggressive EMP farming.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Side-eyeing that Orisa nerf, considering the buff Rein comps get from the Lucio changes. Don't forget that 8 second shield CD Orisa was a garbage throw pick before Lucio was nerfed. You can literally chart her rise and Rein's fall to the week that Lucio nerf hit.

And they still need to pick what Sigma is. He does way too much ranged damage for a main tank, and his barrier is too good for an off tank. Smells a lot like Brig, where they just utterly refused to address a hero's issues and instead kept trying to shoehorn them into the game.

And Reaper and Hanzo still need nerfs.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    SirToasty wrote: »
    The Sombra change is interesting. Cooldown starts right away when you deploy it but also restarts if it's destroyed? So if you keep it safe then you're rewarded with the ability to immediately recast it. But if you use it too aggresively and it gets destroyed then you get punished. Seems like they want more tactical play from Sombra instead of hyper aggressive EMP farming.
    I don't have confirmation but my interpretation is that it's talking about if it's destroyed when you throw it.

Coinage on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Most of that list is fine but the Doomfist fist nerf seems like a bit much.

That's basically a 40% increase to his charge time.

As for Orisa...10 seconds is interesting. It means that shield break will be viable against her again and the nerfs to Sigma's shield means he won't be to cover for her as much. Whether its too much I'm not sure but I did noticing playing Orisa that I rarely had to even think about my shield CD.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I don't have confirmation but my interpretation is that it's talking about if it's destroyed when you throw it.

nah I think Toasty has the right of it. it says begins upon deploying or if killed by an enemy. which to me says the cooldown starts ticking down as soon as you throw it, but if an enemy destroys it at any point the cooldown is reset and starts ticking down again.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Also Winston getting a health buff to his shield is very welcome. The thing barely needed to be focused for it to get dropped.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

i'm supposed to feel sorry for that fist? i don't!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    wont someone please think of the fist

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Eh, I think its kneejerk as Doom was more of a symptom of double barrier than the problem in himself. And he's a character who kind of exists on the razor's edge of balance and can easily be made kind of bad.

Also that D.Va buff is actually a lot bigger than it seems when you crunch the numbers. Her rate to fully regen her DM went from 8 seconds to 6.25 seconds and the 0.75 change means the amount of DM you regen in between the 2 sec cooldown goes from 12.5% to 20%.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    sounds like the fist...is doomed

(he's totally not, he'll still see plenty of play but these are good changes)

Obviously this is technically true, but it's a 40% increase on what is already a pretty small value. Something going from a dollar to a buck forty is mathematically huge but pretty small in practical terms, especially for a character who's already so strong.

That being said, the main reason he's so meta right now is because he's strong against double shield, so if these shield changes aren't enough to shake that up then they've just weakened one of its few counters and made it relatively even stronger...

• Options
    OW is a game where a lot can happen in 1 or 2 seconds so I don't think it that small.

• Options
    The charge time nerf is perfect, he can still one shot bonk you but he can't just tap it

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Hmm...I'm actually surprised Reaper didn't get a nerf with how much he was being complained about.

But tbh, I don't even think a nerf to his lifesteal would matter much(unless you made it useless. But they could try putting it to 30% for the hell of it).

If they wanted to nerf him they'd probably have to rework Wraith Form.

I mean they could make Shadowstep bad again but it spend the last 3 years being bad so...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I think the main reason reaper is good right now is because of how the tank meta is. Reaper can tele behind a static enemy team and sustain himself pretty well. But if the meta goes more mobile he'll just be a big fatheaded target with no range again. Like it's not reaper suppressing pickrates of other DPS, it's double barriers having so much sustain that the only smart play is to try to just move past them. You make double barriers less sustainable and Reaper will probably see less play in turn.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    OW is a game where a lot can happen in 1 or 2 seconds so I don't think it that small.

I generally agree, but also remember this isn't a case of "the ability now takes 40% longer to do anything" - it's just that it takes that much longer to get full use out of it. You're still able to release it whenever you want, you're still able to get some percentage of damage from it. You want to do full damage? Wait a little longer. Otherwise, release early to get partial damage and escape more safely. There's nothing Doomfist could do before that he can't do now, he just doesn't get to deal as much damage (which he already deals lots of).

Now if, say, they added a 0.4 second start-up delay to the punch where you were locked in to the animation, couldn't cancel it and couldn't do any damage, that would be an absolutely massive character-breaking nerf. This is just a good damage reduction nerf for an ability that was already too strong.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    I am the best at placing barriers.

https://youtu.be/qXzPzH2rS7M

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Would someone mind clipping my Sym potg on Nepal? I would just save the highlight but it doesn't include me letting them walk by while I juice up my laser on their barriers that they left behind.

edit: Also the other fun part of that play was that I got icicled in the face right at the start of the fight, Guru rezzed me and Misc covered but got booped back so my closest cover was actually towards the enemy team. I don't know how they didn't see me duck back there because I walked right in front of them. Then the zappening came to pass.

edit2: The fight starts around 8:30.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    what a deadly little corner

also yeah i can do that tomorrow

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    The tip to hitting all your Sigma shots is this: just make sure they grouped/backed themselves into a corner.

• Options
    Would someone mind clipping my Sym potg on Nepal? I would just save the highlight but it doesn't include me letting them walk by while I juice up my laser on their barriers that they left behind.

edit: Also the other fun part of that play was that I got icicled in the face right at the start of the fight, Guru rezzed me and Misc covered but got booped back so my closest cover was actually towards the enemy team. I don't know how they didn't see me duck back there because I walked right in front of them. Then the zappening came to pass.

@SirToasty

https://youtu.be/jxuUXjWOf1A

• Options
    Anyone want to do a watchparty of the Finals?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    When are finals anyway?

Kana on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

@SirToasty

https://youtu.be/jxuUXjWOf1A

https://youtu.be/B_gs4gCyGKs

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    When are finals anyway?

This Sunday at 3PM EDT.

• Options
    When are finals anyway?

This Sunday at 3PM EDT.

blah I'm always working for big OW games

• Options
  • Options

• Options
    God bless these nerds refusing to dance

• Options
    IT'S TIME BOYS AND GIRLS

This discussion has been closed.