As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    At least one person is upset about what's going on. Elijah Cumming's remains the best of us.

Chairman Cummings has had completely enough of this shit.

Come on, man!

So, McAleenan is saying at the end there, that all children have either been reunited, or can easily and quickly be paired with an already identified parent?

Cause that doesn't match reports we've seen, and given he's said that under oath, I wouldn't want to have to go before that Committee for a contempt hearing.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Pretty sure no law enforcement would get charged for that, let alone CBP which has even more of a blank check arguably. That's just America

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    It’s really frustrating to see the resurgence of the “if you don’t like it, then leave” bullshit.

Because I can certainly remember about 8 years where Republicans had quite a lot they complained about with regard to the state of our country, and I’m pretty sure All sorts of pearl clutching would have gone on if Obama had told them that if they didn’t like it they could get the fuck out.

If a Democratic president said something like that, the Republicans would do weekly calls for impeachment until he was out of office, and then probably do the same thing to his successor if he wasn't a Republican.

The winkingly obvious hypocrisy about things like this is pretty fundamental to how they operate these days. Reactions to it really need to start taking into account that the GOP bad faith on, well, everything is deliberate.

which will be met with more bad-faith pearl clutching and moaning about how dare you call them all a bunch of liars, etc etc.

(This does not mean it shouldn't be done. Just pointing out the inevitable response.)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Pretty sure no law enforcement would get charged for that, let alone CBP which has even more of a blank check arguably. That's just America
    Local law enforcement would've absolutely eaten shit for kidnapping.

Federal though, especially any falling under the DHS umbrella, it's pretty much as you describe.

I've said it before and will say it again, abolish the DHS.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Federal though, especially any falling under the DHS umbrella, it's pretty much as you describe.

It was 13 hours. TV has led me to believe police have like 24 before they even need to charge you. TV wouldn't lie to me!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

It was 13 hours. TV has led me to believe police have like 24 before they even need to charge you. TV wouldn't lie to me!

Pretty sure even TV would put in the "except unaccompanied children" exemption.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I thought they were accompanied

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I thought they were accompanied

Yeah, I dint see that initially. Their cousin, who was also detained. Unclear if/when she was released.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Pretty sure if local law enforcement had a warrant for say failure to appear and went to a school and seized the suspect’s children and refused to release them until the suspect reported to court there would be a holy legal hellfire fall down upon them the likes of which never have been seen before.

That’s just go ahead and get the checkbook out and start writing zeros territory.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Pretty sure if local law enforcement had a warrant for say failure to appear and went to a school and seized the suspect’s children and refused to release them until the suspect reported to court there would be a holy legal hellfire fall down upon them the likes of which never have been seen before.

That’s just go ahead and get the checkbook out and start writing zeros territory.

Unfortunately that's not what happened here and while scummy as hell this was probably legal. The immigration system is kinda fucked up to say the least.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Unfortunately that's not what happened here and while scummy as hell this was probably legal. The immigration system is kinda fucked up to say the least.

Another example of legal and just having barely a passing acquaintance with each other. Very little justice in the legal system.

Of course, I also don't trust those fuckers to follow the law either, so I'll wait for an independent investigation before I'll believe that they did this by the book.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    We can talk about those who help decide immigration policy though right? Specifically in the administration, specifically the office of the VP Mike Pence? Because the card they're playing right now is "Omar is a bad immigrant, McConnell's wife is a good immigrant."
    There’s a key difference between Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), according to Darin Miller, the deputy press secretary for Vice President Mike Pence: Chao is a good immigrant who “worked hard and assimilated,” but Omar “seems content to criticize America at every turn.”

Elaine Chao is the example they want to use for an upstanding immigrant? The woman who is abusing her position as Secretary of Transportation to enrich herself and her family?

So 'assimilating' means being greedy and corrupt? I don't think that sends the message they want it to.

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »
    We can talk about those who help decide immigration policy though right? Specifically in the administration, specifically the office of the VP Mike Pence? Because the card they're playing right now is "Omar is a bad immigrant, McConnell's wife is a good immigrant."
    There’s a key difference between Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), according to Darin Miller, the deputy press secretary for Vice President Mike Pence: Chao is a good immigrant who “worked hard and assimilated,” but Omar “seems content to criticize America at every turn.”

Elaine Chao is the example they want to use for an upstanding immigrant? The woman who is abusing her position as Secretary of Transportation to enrich herself and her family?

So 'assimilating' means being greedy and corrupt? I don't think that sends the message they want it to.

Prosperity gospel, yo.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Good immigrant = oath of fealty to Trump. Bad immigrant = not that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Prosperity gospel, yo.

With bonus racism. Omar spent part of her childhood in literal refugee camps, came to America, became a citizen, went through college and became a public servant. In an earlier age she'd have been a poster child for the American dream but ya know, Muslim and dark skin means she's the Enemy now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Prosperity gospel, yo.

With bonus racism. Omar spent part of her childhood in literal refugee camps, came to America, became a citizen, went through college and became a public servant. In an earlier age she'd have been a poster child for the American dream but ya know, Muslim and dark skin means she's the Enemy now.

At least the people in MN aren't having any of this racist shit.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    In their "defense", pretty much anyone who disagrees with the Republican party line gets cast as an America-hating Stalinist.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Good immigrant = oath of fealty to Trump. Bad immigrant = not that.

More or less Lindsay Graham's comments today. "He'd probably welcome a Muslim Somali refugee in a MAGA hat [so it's not racist]"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

There is no message. No base ideology to be hypocritical about here.

She's a good immigrant because she's loyal to Trump and the Repubican agenda, which is white supremacy. Every contradiction is irrelevant because that's all that matters.

We should, in general, stop trying to play the hypocrisy/inconsistency game honestly.

shryke on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Prosperity gospel, yo.

Same with Obama. He started off from humble beginnings and worked hard to achieve his goals. He is a textbook example of the American dream, but he’s a Democrat so he might as well be the devil in their eyes.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    As pessimistic as I have been about this whole thing, I did not see children being kidnapped and used as bait.

Everything I feel and think about this is unfit for public display.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    As pessimistic as I have been about this whole thing, I did not see children being kidnapped and used as bait.

Everything I feel and think about this is unfit for public display.

The thing to remember is that we are the exact same species as the worst people to have ever lived. None of the horrors of the past are beyond some members of the species, and ICE and Friends no longer have real barriers to commiting any particular act except that it would be "weird", which is only ever a double dog dare away from being breached.

This is why we can never stop fighting this.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Good fucking god. Got into it with my mother this morning over immigration- she doesn't have a problem with doing all of this, and then the news showed a visit by some government official to one of their dog-and-pony-show camps, where they have the families all together, and tried to pass off a bunch of lies like everything was happy and wonderful.

I make a mention as to why they didn't show one of the real camps, where they have the people stacked up like cordwood without any showers, and she immediately starts in on me as to what we're supposed to do with them. I say put them up in front of immigration people who will give them a fair review and make decisions on who should be allowed in, instead of just sticking them in a camp and going "...what brown people?". That, of course, brings up "but but where would we house them? how would we feed them, do you want them to move in with us? there's no more room and no jobs! they couldn't pay for medical care or anything! plus crime crime MS-13 arglebargle!"

Just... argh. You can't talk to these people. There are plenty of jobs out there- the ones we think ourselves above, like picking crops in fields, construction, general labor, contracting, truck driving, all these jobs that they would gladly do. We put the money down and we make them into tax-paying citizens, for crying out loud. If they commit crimes, or lie to get in, we bounce them out. But we work quickly to make sure that whoever comes across the border legally gets heard, no matter how many do. Maybe we don't get to all of them the same day- but instead of looking at them like a plague, let's actually deal with them and put them to work and turn them into taxpayers instead of just stuffing them in a proverbial closet.

I just wish I had some better arguments to chuck at this pile of stupid...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Good fucking god. Got into it with my mother this morning over immigration- she doesn't have a problem with doing all of this, and then the news showed a visit by some government official to one of their dog-and-pony-show camps, where they have the families all together, and tried to pass off a bunch of lies like everything was happy and wonderful.

I make a mention as to why they didn't show one of the real camps, where they have the people stacked up like cordwood without any showers, and she immediately starts in on me as to what we're supposed to do with them. I say put them up in front of immigration people who will give them a fair review and make decisions on who should be allowed in, instead of just sticking them in a camp and going "...what brown people?". That, of course, brings up "but but where would we house them? how would we feed them, do you want them to move in with us? there's no more room and no jobs! they couldn't pay for medical care or anything! plus crime crime MS-13 arglebargle!"

Just... argh. You can't talk to these people. There are plenty of jobs out there- the ones we think ourselves above, like picking crops in fields, construction, general labor, contracting, truck driving, all these jobs that they would gladly do. We put the money down and we make them into tax-paying citizens, for crying out loud. If they commit crimes, or lie to get in, we bounce them out. But we work quickly to make sure that whoever comes across the border legally gets heard, no matter how many do. Maybe we don't get to all of them the same day- but instead of looking at them like a plague, let's actually deal with them and put them to work and turn them into taxpayers instead of just stuffing them in a proverbial closet.

Totally agreed. I ended up blocking my father's phone number after the last time I got into it with him. And he's a goddamn first generation immigrant! A refugee who came over in his childhood! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! The US welcomed him when it wasn't safe for him to stay where he was, and now he wants to slam the door shut? Fuck you and the boat you rode in on!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Housing is an issue only because of the artificial and intentional bottlenecking resulting from not stacking the appropriate amount of administrative resources for the number of asylum seekers.

The current camps are built to maximize cruelty and profit margin for the private contractors. Taxpayers are paying $280k per year per detainee, and “Sherman Tanz” is getting probably ~$200k of that.

Think of the administrative assembly, including proper facilities, that could actually be brought to bear if you spent $280k per to process these requests instead of torturing people as an example to others. Also disregard that even the level of torture currently being inflicted is still not as dangerous as what most of these asylum seekers are fleeing, so it’s not even a deterrent as much as hate porn/campaign motivation (tomato/tomahto) for the MAGA horde.

There’s plenty of food here. Maybe think that severe lack of food/nutrition is a huge motivating factor for so many migrants!

You’ve already pointed out the fallacy of “lack of jobs,” but also remember that generally, growing a population grows the economy as well.

As far as MS-13, I’m surprised it’s so effective a criminal enterprise since it consists of malnourished 3 year olds....or if there’s a fear that people will come and be radicalized into later joining a criminal enterprise, you could maybe not support conditions that could radicalize someone so badly, you know?

Etc

Etc

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Same. I know my mother has tried the "would you just welcome somebody into your house if they demand to live there?" like a country is a regular house argument on me. I tried countering with "You mean if I lived in a house with so many rooms they could all live in it and I might never actually see them while they pay rent (taxes) like I do? Sure, come on in!"

She's not completely hopeless at least though. She doesn't drink the Trump Koolaid and has not shied away from acknowledging these concentration camps
    as such. She's just woefully ignorant regarding the various processes of the immigration system and its laws, especially regarding asylum.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The LAPD appears to have had enough of this shit

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-ice-tensions-20190715-story.html
    Days after Trump’s initial tweets, Moore told reporters that ICE would conduct sweeps starting June 23 and would be targeting about 140 people as part of the national operation. In an interview with The Times last month, he said his department would not play a role in the arrests and expressed concerns over the possible effects.

“We know how unsettling and scary this is for the community,” Moore said. “We are not an extension of ICE…. I do worry about the intimidation it can create"

On Tuesday, the LAPD chief told the Police Commission that in the last couple of weeks there have been reports of an increased level of apprehensions in L.A. by ICE.

“What’s being said at the federal level and rumored out of Washington at times strikes me as distinctly different than the ground truth of what’s happening in the street. That’s troubling. It shouldn’t be that way,” Moore said in an interview with The Times. “When the LAPD talks about our enforcement actions, we don’t have false flags and we don’t identify and overstate matters that actually aren’t going to occur.”

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Same. I know my mother has tried the "would you just welcome somebody into your house if they demand to live there?" like a country is a regular house argument on me. I tried countering with "You mean if I lived in a house with so many rooms they could all live in it and I might never actually see them while they pay rent (taxes) like I do? Sure, come on in!"

She's not completely hopeless at least though. She doesn't drink the Trump Koolaid and has not shied away from acknowledging these concentration camps
    as such. She's just woefully ignorant regarding the various processes of the immigration system and its laws, especially regarding asylum.

Is the other option to pay them $750/night to stay at the worst hotel in the country? And they're less likely to engage in criminal behavior than the native-born randos who moved in next door?

That seems like an easy "Yes"

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Its paywalled at the Washington Post, but the Trump Administration is going to make changes to the citizenship test.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    When the lapd thinks you're too much what the fuck

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Its paywalled at the Washington Post, but the Trump Administration is going to make changes to the citizenship test.

1) What is your name?
    2) Do you swear a personal oath of fealty to Donald Trump and his children after him?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'd lay even money that Trump couldn't pass the current test.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Trump couldn't pass like a "do you have dementia" test

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Schumer is at the border (in Texas) with some other Democratic Senators today. Looks like Wyden, Cardin, Durbin, Casey, Coons, Menendez, Rosen, Merkley, maybe a few others?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    This is kind of important and fucked at face value but what changes specifically?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Totally agreed. I ended up blocking my father's phone number after the last time I got into it with him. And he's a goddamn first generation immigrant! A refugee who came over in his childhood! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! The US welcomed him when it wasn't safe for him to stay where he was, and now he wants to slam the door shut? Fuck you and the boat you rode in on!

This is extremely common. The sense that I worked harder/did it the right way/deserve it etc. People who immigrate or seek asylum are still humans and they bring with them all of the values they had before they relocated. Fortunately in my experience after a generation this boils off and their kids are mostly normal. It's definitely weird seeing 35 year old immigrants who act like racist grandpa though.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    You can view the story if you haven't hit your WaPo free articles limit.

They are being cagey about the details and claiming it's just a refresh, but it's hard to imagine it being anything good.

The article does have some very well-executed snark:
    In a series of tweets this week, Trump also sought to draw a line between the kinds of rights enjoyed by existing U.S. citizens, distinguishing between four minority Democratic Congresswomen, whom, he claimed, “originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe” and “the people of the United States.” Many critics have said the president was suggesting that the former had little or no right to criticize the latter.

(Question No. 51: What are two rights of everyone living in the United States? Answer: freedom of expression, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom to petition the government, freedom of religion, or the right to bear arms.)

Readers of Trump’s tweets have also pointed out that only one of the four Congresswomen he was tweeting about is foreign-born, and that, like all members of Congress, they are U.S. citizens. (Question No. 50: Name one right only for United States citizens. Answers: “vote in a federal election” or “run for federal office.”)

• Options
    I wonder if the new test will involve a paper bag, or maybe swatches...

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    And now this: the Trump admin is reportedly discussing allowing ZERO refugees into the country next year
    Washington (CNN) — The Trump administration floated the possibility of admitting zero refugees next year during a recent meeting with officials from the Department of Homeland Security, State Department, the Pentagon and other agencies, according to sources familiar with the meeting.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/19/politics/trump-admin-zero-refugees/index.html

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

This is extremely common. The sense that I worked harder/did it the right way/deserve it etc. People who immigrate or seek asylum are still humans and they bring with them all of the values they had before they relocated. Fortunately in my experience after a generation this boils off and their kids are mostly normal. It's definitely weird seeing 35 year old immigrants who act like racist grandpa though.

Every generation seems to have a group of people that a portion of them were strictly against and laughably wrong about, and then the stupidity disappears until the next generation finds another group they can hate on. A vicious cycle of 'I have to blame someone else for my personal failings in life'.

Irish, Japanese, Italians, African Americans as a whole... at one point Jews were treated in this manner. Now it's Mexican/Latino immigrants. And the same thing is happening this time... they are embarrassing and dehumanizing themselves until they can't be seen as anything other than open racist monsters.

In 10 years it will be discussed in quiet circles or with your aging father with no filter, or in assisted living centers where only the caretakers have to hear their unwarranted hate.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
This discussion has been closed.