As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Even the Bush administration openly scoffed at "international law" as a concept. Republicans only care about violations of UN resolutions when it's someone else.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Remember, conservationism consists of exactly one proposition: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

You're acting like he'd even give a fuck about things like "decency", "human rights", and "international law".

Oh no for sure I don't think he gives a shit. I'm just saying that it is illegal so the question is what will happen.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The inevitable lawsuits about the asylum rule change have started.

Reporter from Buzzfeed

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Even the Bush administration openly scoffed at "international law" as a concept. Republicans only care about violations of UN resolutions when it's someone else.
    To be fair, so do Democrats. It's not like any of the wars Obama started were any more legal. (Also, nobody cares about resolutions because they are non-binding. We're talking about a convention, a binding treaty signed by the US.)

Anyway, the issue is not really international law, which can be ignored by the US without repercussion*, but the implementation of the convention in US law. For all treaties the US just creates a law that says "we will abide by this treaty, like this", and then policy is created based on that law. The question is whether Trump is violating that law.

*and aside from that can simply be exited if it's a treaty and has no weight outside of that. It's all still sovereign nations just making an agreement.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    To be fair, so do Democrats. It's not like any of the wars Obama started were any more legal. (Also, nobody cares about resolutions because they are non-binding. We're talking about a convention, a binding treaty signed by the US.)

Anyway, the issue is not really international law, which can be ignored by the US without repercussion*, but the implementation of the convention in US law. For all treaties the US just creates a law that says "we will abide by this treaty, like this", and then policy is created based on that law. The question is whether Trump is violating that law.

*and aside from that can simply be exited if it's a treaty and has no weight outside of that. It's all still sovereign nations just making an agreement.

As one of your trading partners, I can assure you that Democrats are a lot better about this shit then Republicans.

• Options
    The inevitable lawsuits about the asylum rule change have started.

Reporter from Buzzfeed

Yeah this is what I was expecting. I think it is clear that the Trump administration is violating established federal law. The INA included the language of the treaty, and the new rules are too broad to be legal.

Of course, they haven't been packing the courts for nothing. :?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    They're holding the vote now to condemn the presidents tweets as racist. It's been pretty much down party lines with 1 republican voting with the Democrats so far

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I don’t know why the GOP gives a shit, it clearly doesn’t matter to his voters

• Options
    I don't even understand the vote really. It condemns the presidents statements, but actually does nothing. Seems it's just political theatre. It's nice seeing some Republicans voting with democrats though.

Also, I hope this is the appropriate thread for this discussion.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

That veneer of plausible deniability does, though.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

It won't matter to them until they start losing elections.

Meaning enough people have to care about the GOP's non-action and complacency to vote against them.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I don't even understand the vote really. It condemns the presidents statements, but actually does nothing. Seems it's just political theatre. It's nice seeing some Republicans voting with democrats though.

Also, I hope this is the appropriate thread for this discussion.

Votes like this are pretty much theater. But it’s a formal statement that they condemn his statements. This way when the time comes for attack ads you have an actual vote to point to where Republicans we’re fine with Trump being a racist.

Not that they weren’t before, it’s just official now.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    They're holding the vote now to condemn the presidents tweets as racist. It's been pretty much down party lines with 1 republican voting with the Democrats so far

Unfortunately, the simple act of calling for the vote caused Nancy Pelosi to violate the rules of the House.

I'm noticing an odd pattern with the dates those rules were added. Man, "The President doesn't care about black people..." takes me back.

And the GOP are crowing about it, like you do. Rules for thee, not me.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a good look "A woman spoke out of turn and now she's unable to speak"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah that's a good look "A woman spoke out of turn and now she's unable to speak"

Another 'nevertheless, she persisted' for the Democrats to latch onto.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The first 20 or so minutes of All Things Considered tonight were about that vote and the tweets thing in general, and man somebody must have just had enough, because there was no dancing around anything. No "racially charged" or "what some consider" or whatever. Just flat out calling his tweets and general action racist multiple times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Looks like the vote passed. 4 republican yea and the one independent yea

RickRude on
  • Options
    I’m actually a little surprised that so far 4 republicans have voted “yes” on the condemnation.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It’s even better cause what she spoke about was the President being racist. A two for one deal!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    It boggles my mind that the GOP still pulls this kind of shit, then are BAFFLED when their female GOP constituents in Congress strangely disappear. Oh, you HAD congresswomen within the GOP, then you latched onto the most bigoted public speaker alive as your leader. Now only the most craven, greedy women stick by you, or the ones already broken that 'know their place'.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I think this incident is different because of the targets of the racism primarily, being high profile popular public figures and all, but I think it's also just the ugliness of the "go back to your own country" style statement. It is so blatantly, nakedly disgusting and racist that it is probably considered lazy screenwriting to have a racist say that on your script. And there's no denying it with any kind of conviction beyond "nothing we do is racist because racism ended with the 13th amendment" types.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Edit: Collins is a Senator.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    One is Collins, presumably. She is really worried about her next election.

Good. She should be.

• Options

I look forward to the day when Joni Ernst and Deb Fischer are given the boot in this area. I notice how deathly silent they've become under Trump's presidency... almost like they want people to forget they're there hoisting Trump's policies up like a feminine Uncle Tom.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Collins is a senator, this is in the house.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

I look forward to the day when Joni Ernst and Deb Fischer are given the boot in this area. I notice how deathly silent they've become under Trump's presidency... almost like they want people to forget they're there hoisting Trump's policies up like a feminine Uncle Tom.

As an Iowa resident, I want Ernst gone so badly.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Wrong side of Congress.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    After the birther nonsense that Trump stirred up its hard to believe that anyone didn't see exactly this coming. Its like beating that drum was how Trump clawed his face into political relevancy in the first place or something. The GOP can't claim they didn't know he was like this, they're just embarassed that one of their former PR flacks took over the party and is saying the quiet parts loud.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Dammit, my fingers were faster than my brain! I knew that.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dang, those highlighted rules might as well say "You may not call the 45th President, Donald J. Trump aka Individual 1, what he is."

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    That entire page is basically, "You may not criticize the President." It's creepy.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    That entire page is basically, "You may not criticize the President." It's creepy.
    I'm incredibly over this government and the niceties the parties agree to play by, but then the one side is in constant violation of it and doesn't really give a shit while the other is willing to abandon policy because of it. "Hey man you hurt my feelings," "Oh shit we better let them cage people to apologize."

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Probably a hold over from Parliament. You can disagree with a person's views, but not question their character - kind of holds now as them being representatives of the people.
    As a member of the opposition, you have to publicly accept that the opposition is operating in good faith otherwise the whole system breaks down and people start shooting again.

Outside of the system of government you can call him all you want, but within - you can't call him a racist or liar, but you can publicly put into record how the facts are not what he says and he should have known this very obvious thing.

And the fact that he didn't know this, shows him to be completely incapable and unfit for office, and thus impeachment. You can't question his character, hence "I'm sure as honourable gentleman as the President must be - he clearly would have apologised after being made aware of the fact that the people he insulted here US citizens and even 3 of the 4 were born here. That he doubled down after being made aware of this fact shows that he must have severe memory issues that render him unfit to be President"

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Silberman is an author who writes on Neurodiversity

NBC News is NBC News

The reporter Conway asked to tell her their ethnicity? Andrew Feinberg, who is Jewish.

maybe not the optics you were looking for, Conway.

EDIT: intended to critique the GOP attempting to use "Anti-Semitism" as a bludgeon against a muslim member of congress, and then literally asking a Jewish dude what his ethnicity is when he's pressing them on Trump's racist-ass "go back" tweets

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Christ but she is a fucking hideous person.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I watched that video earlier.

That is...

I agree with almost everything in that Silberman tweet. Only the people doing these things don't use the Rosary. So that's not particularly useful.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Somewhere Sartre is rolling in his grave at enough RPMs to power the whole of France and thinking to himself "How did I never consider the Anti-Semite would pretend to be friend to the Jewish People until the ruse had outgrown its usefulness to them."

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    These motherfuckers all have the ugliest souls, I swear. Just rotten like an old stump.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    These motherfuckers all have the ugliest souls, I swear. Just rotten like an old stump.

Like based on what we know about Conway’s personal life it seems like it’s all an act for her, too

This discussion has been closed.