Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

US Immigration Policy - Travel advisory: don't go to the South if you're Hispanic/Latino

1414244464758

Posts

  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

    If they actually *did* let Europeans immigrate freely, they'd find that American racists are quite capable of hating the lily-white. I know this because one of the main causes of Brexit was British people (lily white) hating Polish (lily white) immigrants.

    See also the US's history around the time the statue was put up the *Irish* weren't white enough.

    FencingsaxCelestialBadgerJuliusDark_SideElldrenRhesus PositiveJaysonFourAegisTNTrooperkimeMrVyngaardGONG-00ZonugalBlackDragon480Dee KaeboogedybooLabelPolaritieElvenshaeTynnandestroyah87ToxBullheadTetraNitroCubaneStabbity StyleelectricitylikesmeBloodsheednever dieOghulkMild ConfusionMartini_PhilosopherMan in the MistsCantideemp123
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

    If they actually *did* let Europeans immigrate freely, they'd find that American racists are quite capable of hating the lily-white. I know this because one of the main causes of Brexit was British people (lily white) hating Polish (lily white) immigrants.

    Does nobody remember the hate for the (Germans/Irish/Polish/Italians/...) in decades past?

    The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    CelestialBadgerJebus314ElldrenJaysonFourkimeGnizmoCalicaZonugalElvenshaeToxTetraNitroCubaneStabbity StyleMartini_PhilosopherMan in the Mists
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

    If they actually *did* let Europeans immigrate freely, they'd find that American racists are quite capable of hating the lily-white. I know this because one of the main causes of Brexit was British people (lily white) hating Polish (lily white) immigrants.

    Does nobody remember the hate for the (Germans/Irish/Polish/Italians/...) in decades past?

    In some northern Canadian communities there was racism against Norwegians and Swedes etc for being too white, and they were called Ghoulies

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    CelestialBadgerDark Raven XMartini_Philosopher
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    Since American racism is usually defined by color, literally, it becomes a pat explanation to say "people hate each other because of the color of their skin" which is rarely the case in most countries where racism/ethnic bigotry takes hold. It's just a convenient shibboleth.

    CelestialBadger on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    SmrtnikShadowfireDark Raven XTynnan
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    It's also patently false

    fuck gendered marketing
    tynicPhoenix-DSmrtnikAimJaysonFourOrcaVanguardHappy Little MachineZonugalBlackDragon480LadaiShadowfireZomroLabelNobeardDuke 2.0IncenjucarElvenshaeTynnanFencingsaxKruiteStabbity StyleKoopahTroopahMegaMeknever dieCentipede DamascusMild ConfusionMartini_PhilosopherMan in the MistsCantideemp123
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    It's also patently false

    Oh I know.

    my big concern is if they're thinking of changing it to be that

  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    Elldren wrote: »
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    It's also patently false

    Oh I know.

    my big concern is if they're thinking of changing it to be that

    haven't checked the veracity of the quote, but either way the American right has been trying to get rid of birthright citizenship for a few years now.

    It's public consciousness has waned as they've being going hard against Latin Americans, but it's definitely still something the right wing has been pressing for.

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    tynicGnome-InterruptusMrVyngaardHappy Little MachineBlackDragon480LabelNobeardIncenjucarFencingsaxMegaMekAngelHedgieCentipede DamascusMartini_PhilosopherMan in the Mists
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    It would also require an amendment to change, as it's specified in the 14th.

    shrykeGnizmolonelyahavaZonugalLadaiElldrenShadowfireNobeardDuke 2.0ElvenshaeFencingsaxStabbity StyleKoopahTroopahMegaMeknever dieCentipede DamascusMartini_PhilosopherEncMan in the Mistsemp123
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    It would also require an amendment to change, as it's specified in the 14th.

    Yeah, my understanding is that they can complain all they want and fuck with a lot of things with immigration but at the end of the day, if they can come after Jus Soli then y'all are already drowning in the deepest shit imaginable because it means they've opened up the constitution with enough control to rewrite it however the fuck they want.

  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah yeah.

    I know. It was just a gut reaction of 'oh shit fuck you, asshole"

    thanks for being my sanity, friends.

    Commander ZoomJragghenElvenshaeFencingsaxToxKruiteTofystedethKoopahTroopahnever dieMartini_PhilosopherMan in the Mists
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to that commission they were putting together to look at ways to strip citizenship from people?

  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that commission they were putting together to look at ways to strip citizenship from people?

    I hope the answer is someone, anyone, with even the barest basic understanding of constitutional law told them it was impossible and they gave up

    but this admin is both stupid and stubborn so...

    fuck gendered marketing
    ElvenshaeMegaMek
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Things are only unconstitutional if the Supreme Court deems them so.

    PreacherSmrtnikMorganVIncenjucarFencingsaxStabbity StyleelectricitylikesmeMegaMekBigJoeMbrynhrtmnAistan
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that commission they were putting together to look at ways to strip citizenship from people?

    I hope the answer is someone, anyone, with even the barest basic understanding of constitutional law told them it was impossible and they gave up

    but this admin is both stupid and stubborn so...

    The scary part is when they really start to realize that they don't even need to strip citizenship of anyone. They've already indefinitely imprisoned citizens and "deported" US citizens to countries they've never (or barely) been to. No fallback from those....

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    PreacherCelestialBadgerElldrentynicboogedybooLabelSpoitNobeardDuke 2.0ZonugalIncenjucarTNTrooperFencingsaxStabbity StyleMegaMekMild ConfusionAistanMan in the MistsHappy Little Machine
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Things are only unconstitutional if the Supreme Court deems them so.

    And even if the SCOTUS actually follows precedent and the law and constitution as written (far from a given, though still more likely than not), that doesn't change how much damage the Trump Administration could do in the meantime.

    Yes, there would be lawsuits and injunctions. But those do cost money. At this point, I'm kinda wondering if that's the plan. Do blatantly illegal and unconstitutional shit, spend government resources to fight for it, and try and drain the coffers of those non-profits (like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood) that would want to stop the next more egregious shit. Sort of like how larger corporations tie up smaller companies to force them to settle or drop a justifiable lawsuit. Except with the government signing the checks.

    Probably not, I don't think anyone in this Administration plans anything, except their next grift.

  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Things are only unconstitutional if the Supreme Court deems them so.

    Even then laws have only as much power as they are willing to be enforced. With a conservative SCOTUS, McConnell in the Senate and Trump in the Whitehouse, there is no reason for white nationalist to hold back.

    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    BlackDragon480FencingsaxPreacherCelestialBadgerMild ConfusionAistanMan in the Mists
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Things are only unconstitutional if the Supreme Court deems them so.

    And even if the SCOTUS actually follows precedent and the law and constitution as written (far from a given, though still more likely than not), that doesn't change how much damage the Trump Administration could do in the meantime.

    Yes, there would be lawsuits and injunctions. But those do cost money. At this point, I'm kinda wondering if that's the plan. Do blatantly illegal and unconstitutional shit, spend government resources to fight for it, and try and drain the coffers of those non-profits (like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood) that would want to stop the next more egregious shit. Sort of like how larger corporations tie up smaller companies to force them to settle or drop a justifiable lawsuit. Except with the government signing the checks.

    Probably not, I don't think anyone in this Administration plans anything, except their next grift.

    Trump's entire modus operandi when doing construction was to hire subcontractors, have them do the job, not pay them, and when they take him to court wear them out by outlasting them.

    steam_sig.png
    MorganVFencingsaxForarEmerlmaster999MrVyngaardDuke 2.0Mild ConfusionAistanMan in the Mists
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

    They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Gnome-Interruptus
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

    They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

    Yeah ask Barack Obama about that.

    The GOP has an issue with "darker than a shade of xerox and citizen".

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    IncenjucarStabbity StyleCommander ZoomshrykeZonugalElvenshaeLovelyEmerlmaster999FencingsaxkimeBlackDragon480autono-wally, erotibot300BigJoeMlonelyahavaElldrenKamarAimTNTrooperTicaldfjamRhesus PositiveMrVyngaardSolarCaptain InertiaCentipede DamascusDuke 2.0Mild ConfusionMartini_PhilosopherNobeardAistanMan in the MistsCantideHappy Little Machineemp123
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Things are only unconstitutional if the Supreme Court deems them so.

    And even if the SCOTUS actually follows precedent and the law and constitution as written (far from a given, though still more likely than not), that doesn't change how much damage the Trump Administration could do in the meantime.

    Yes, there would be lawsuits and injunctions. But those do cost money. At this point, I'm kinda wondering if that's the plan. Do blatantly illegal and unconstitutional shit, spend government resources to fight for it, and try and drain the coffers of those non-profits (like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood) that would want to stop the next more egregious shit. Sort of like how larger corporations tie up smaller companies to force them to settle or drop a justifiable lawsuit. Except with the government signing the checks.

    Probably not, I don't think anyone in this Administration plans anything, except their next grift.

    Trump's entire modus operandi when doing construction was to hire subcontractors, have them do the job, not pay them, and when they take him to court wear them out by outlasting them.

    He also used mob muscle as intimidation when workers and contractors complained.

    MrVyngaard
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

    They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

    Yeah ask Barack Obama about that.

    The GOP has an issue with "darker than a shade of xerox and citizen".


    2oxj8k.jpg

    Viskod on
    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
    XaquinCommander ZoomApogeeDrovekGnome-InterruptusMegaMekToxFencingsaxautono-wally, erotibot300ElldrenTNTrooperTicaldfjamMrVyngaardbrynhrtmnMild ConfusionNobeardAistanHefflingMan in the Mistsemp123
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

    They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

    Yeah ask Barack Obama about that.

    The GOP has an issue with "darker than a shade of xerox and citizen".

    They never attacked Obama by saying his parents weren't citizens. They attacked him by saying he wasn't born here. That's the issue they have. They hate Jus soli.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    lonelyahava
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

    They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

    Yeah ask Barack Obama about that.

    The GOP has an issue with "darker than a shade of xerox and citizen".

    They never attacked Obama by saying his parents weren't citizens. They attacked him by saying he wasn't born here. That's the issue they have. They hate Jus soli.

    There were rumblings suggesting his mother renounced her citizenship before his birth.

    TicaldfjamCaptain InertiaMan in the Mists
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

    They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

    Yeah ask Barack Obama about that.

    The GOP has an issue with "darker than a shade of xerox and citizen".

    They never attacked Obama by saying his parents weren't citizens. They attacked him by saying he wasn't born here. That's the issue they have. They hate Jus soli.

    There were rumblings suggesting his mother renounced her citizenship before his birth.

    There was also some talk about her not being in the US for the five years required after being 18.

    Either way it was all conspiracy theories and racism. Nobody even brought up that McCain wasn't born in the US at all.

    FencingsaxDarkPrimusCommander ZoomGnome-InterruptusToxGnizmoElldrenCaptain InertiaTynnanDuke 2.0SpoitNobeardAistanMan in the MiststynicTofystedeth
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    can somebody clarify for me.

    Did he really say this?
    Cuccinelli: "No one has a right to be an American who wasn't born here as an American"

    because... that is... That has a certain effect on my life.

    To be quite charitable, it's possible he meant "born as an American" and the 'here' made sense in his brain at the moment, but if he'd been pressed he would have said "no yeah that's not what I meant."

    They have far less of a problem with "citizen because your parents are citizens" than they do with "citizen because you were born on US soil"

    Ken Cuccinelli does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    PreacherElvenshaeGONG-00Commander ZoomBloodsheedEmerlmaster999shrykeMorganVXaquinToxElldrenlonelyahavaKamarTNTrooperTicaldfjamSquigieMrVyngaardCaptain InertiaTynnanMild ConfusionZibblsnrtMartini_PhilosopherMan in the MistsCantidetynicTofystedeth
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 15
    I didn't know this, but ICE did raids here and arrested 16 people. In Vermont. Details are sketchy, but protesters were out. Around a couple hundred people turned out in this town of 2200. They started at town hall demanding the select board pass a "Welcoming Hartford Ordinance" that's been sitting and waiting for passage. It would stop collaboration between local police and ICE/CBP. After they protested at the town hall, they walked down the street and blocked off part of it during the protest. It held me up on the way to, and then getting back from, picking my daughter up from preschool. So I did what any good citizen who's been inconvenienced should damn well do.

    Gave my daughter a shower (she was great filth) and got a bit of light protesting in before dinner.

    From in the crowd. There were a handful of pro-ICE people there. Obviously I disagree with this guy, and he's spouting the usual "they're breaking the law" BS, but he was pleasant at least, and welcomed discussion with protesters.
    goc9zqi9w55l.jpg
    jv5pnwar36sb.jpg
    nrpvq5e07uac.jpg

    We ran into one of my daughter's preschool teachers there!
    x1czufj9t4tb.jpg

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    PreacherPolaritiekimeElldrenAimBlackDragon480MorganVFencingsaxCaptainPeacockceresboogedyboonever dieZonugalLabelTNTrooperSmrtnikTicaldfjamRhesus PositiveElvenshaeAlexandierMrVyngaardCelloiTunesIsEvilKoopahTroopahDrovekdurandal4532BullheadGONG-00SyphonBlueLovelyTynnanCalicaStabbity StyleDuke 2.0HellerbooyMegaMekMild ConfusionGnome-Interruptusdispatch.oIncenjucarForarMartini_PhilosopherNobeardErlecThe SauceHefflingMan in the MistsHappy Little Machineemp123ToxTofystedeth
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    In other protest news, an ICE agent tried to run over a group of peaceful protesters so he could achieve the all-important task of...parking in the staff parking lot.

    https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/blackstone-valley/immigration-protest-continue-in-central-falls/

    What is the appropriate action to take when you witness an attempted murder like this?

    PreacherTicaldfjamMegaMekMartini_PhilosopherRickRudeMagellMan in the MistsToxTofystedeth
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    In other protest news, an ICE agent tried to run over a group of peaceful protesters so he could achieve the all-important task of...parking in the staff parking lot.

    https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/blackstone-valley/immigration-protest-continue-in-central-falls/

    What is the appropriate action to take when you witness an attempted murder like this?

    Contact the local PD and press charges. They don't want to help you, move up to the sheriff and state PD. It doesn't matter if you're blocking the road, trying to push a car through at and speed is reckless endangerment at the very least.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    ElldrenElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusFencingsaxMartini_PhilosopherExtreaminatusMan in the Mistsemp123ToxSolar
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    In other protest news, an ICE agent tried to run over a group of peaceful protesters so he could achieve the all-important task of...parking in the staff parking lot.

    https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/blackstone-valley/immigration-protest-continue-in-central-falls/

    What is the appropriate action to take when you witness an attempted murder like this?

    Contact the local PD and press charges. They don't want to help you, move up to the sheriff and state PD. It doesn't matter if you're blocking the road, trying to push a car through at and speed is reckless endangerment at the very least.

    lol the local police on the scene ran up and pepper-sprayed the people who were run over

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    CelestialBadgerBlackDragon480shrykeElvenshaeApogeeDarkPrimusZonugalMegaMekBullheadMild ConfusionLadaiTNTrooperFencingsaxIncenjucarRhesus PositiveMartini_PhilosopherKamarMan in the MistsTetraNitroCubaneToxSolar
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    ACAB

    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    CFN: RoboWizard
    Styrofoam SammichGONG-00YamiB.DarkPrimusiTunesIsEvilDuke 2.0ZonugalMegaMekTNTrooperFencingsaxIncenjucarEinzelMetzger MeisterJuliusI ZimbraMaclayMartini_PhilosopherHerrCronShadowfireDee KaeFCDWACriminalKamarClipseAistanMr FuzzbuttFANTOMASMagellnever dieMan in the MistsHenroidHappy Little MachineTetraNitroCubaneToxSolarW2Bandable
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The kids in Milwaukee are all right:





    NPR is a news agency, Andrew Fleischman is a defense lawyer.

    Needless to say, Milwaukee Republicans are up in arms over this.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    WhittledownSleepCalicaCentipede DamascusshrykeElldrenDarkPrimusDark Raven XAegisiTunesIsEvilDuke 2.0BlackDragon480Kayne Red RobePreacherZonugalTicaldfjamMorganVkimeBullheadMild ConfusionbrynhrtmnGnome-InterruptusTNTrooperAridholFencingsaxCommander ZoomIncenjucarMetzger MeisterRhesus PositiveEmerlmaster999I ZimbraMartini_PhilosopherShadowfireElvenshaeDee KaeSmrtnikNobeardLabelKamarMr FuzzbuttRickRudeErlecGnizmoExtreaminatusMagellThe Saucenever dieHefflingMan in the MistsHappy Little Machineemp123Arithon32ToxTofystedeth
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    The kids in Milwaukee are all right:





    NPR is a news agency, Andrew Fleischman is a defense lawyer.

    Needless to say, Milwaukee Republicans are up in arms over this.

    the poor snowflakes

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    XaquinDrovekDuke 2.0KruiteBlackDragon480Kayne Red RobePreacherZonugalkimeMild ConfusionMegaMekbrynhrtmnLovelyGnome-InterruptusTNTrooperAimFencingsaxCommander ZoomDunderForarEmerlmaster999Martini_PhilosopherShadowfireElvenshaeNobeardLabelKamarAistanRickRudeErlecDoctorArchJohnny ChopsockyGnizmoExtreaminatusCalicaMagellnever dieMan in the MistsQuidHappy Little Machineemp123ToxTofystedeth
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    The kids in Milwaukee are all right:





    NPR is a news agency, Andrew Fleischman is a defense lawyer.

    Needless to say, Milwaukee Republicans are up in arms over this.

    There's an ethnic festival (Irishfest, Germanfest, etc.) practically every weekend in summer here, and a multicultural Folk Fair in November.

    Milwaukee is very proud of its immigrant heritage, as long as they're white.

    Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
    Commander Zoomdispatch.o
  • OghulkOghulk biggest externality low-energy economistRegistered User regular
    The kids in Milwaukee are all right:





    NPR is a news agency, Andrew Fleischman is a defense lawyer.

    Needless to say, Milwaukee Republicans are up in arms over this.

    argle free garble speech barglelargle

    raoADVy.png
    DrovekiTunesIsEvilZonugalMild ConfusionLovelyFencingsaxNobeardAistannever dieMan in the MistsTox
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    AegisSyphonBluekimeTNTrooperAridholKruiteDarkPrimusshrykeMillJragghenZonugalFencingsaxSelnerCommander ZoomElJeffeZibblsnrtIncenjucarBullheadArbitraryDescriptorGONG-00Metzger MeisterEmerlmaster999BlackDragon480Martini_PhilosopherElldrenPolaritieShadowfireBloodsheedElvenshaeMegaMekZomroHellerbooyDee KaeDiplominatorSmrtnikNobeardLabelbrynhrtmnKamarboogedybooRickRudeGnome-InterruptusTicaldfjamExtreaminatusVeagleThe Saucenever dieHefflingMan in the MistsHappy Little MachineTetraNitroCubaneemp123ToxTofystedethBandable
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    Preacher wrote: »

    That's great news, but seriously? the government appealed a ruling that "safe and sanitary" included toothbrushes, soap and showers?

    I imagine some government lawyer had to stand up and defend that?

    Yes, yes, I know, "cruelty is the point" or whatever. I just can't understand the complete lack of morals that leads to someone supporting something like that. It hurts my brain.

    Also, reading that tweet and it's following tweets, the judge dismissed the case.

    And oh look, here's the lawyer standing up and selling her soul.



    The "WTF" look on the judge's face is priceless.

    EDIT: that video is from June, in case anyone is wondering.

    Selner on
    Commander ZoomPreacherdispatch.oCelestialBadgerMartini_PhilosopherRickRudeHefflingMan in the Mistselectricitylikesme
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Finally some good news!

    It's good news, in the "evil didn't triumph today" meaning.

    It's not good news in that "evil aren't prevented from trying it again, in a slightly different way" meaning.

    That's the bigger problem with this shit. Every time the Trump Administration get slapped down, there's apparently no consequence for them. So there's nothing to stop them doing it again and again. Knowing that they'll get to take months of being assholes before they have to stop again.

    I'd really like to see them get hit with the civil equivalent of "punitive damages". Either an easily accessible injunction system for the ACLU, or a fast-tracked hearing (ie, analagous to "If the Administration tries something like this again, here's our direct number").

    Because we've seen this over and over again.

    Commander ZoomJragghenForarMild ConfusionIncenjucarRhesus PositiveBlackDragon480ElldrenPolaritieXaquinElvenshaeFencingsaxMegaMekHellerbooyLabelKamarMrVyngaardGnome-InterruptusLovelyCalicaVeagledispatch.oMagellMan in the MistselectricitylikesmeHappy Little MachineTofystedethCentipede Damascus
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Finally some good news!

    It's good news, in the "evil didn't triumph today" meaning.

    It's not good news in that "evil aren't prevented from trying it again, in a slightly different way" meaning.

    That's the bigger problem with this shit. Every time the Trump Administration get slapped down, there's apparently no consequence for them. So there's nothing to stop them doing it again and again. Knowing that they'll get to take months of being assholes before they have to stop again.

    I'd really like to see them get hit with the civil equivalent of "punitive damages". Either an easily accessible injunction system for the ACLU, or a fast-tracked hearing (ie, analagous to "If the Administration tries something like this again, here's our direct number").

    Because we've seen this over and over again.

    It’ll just be the government paying the penalty and they’ll care even less

    fuck gendered marketing
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Finally some good news!

    It's good news, in the "evil didn't triumph today" meaning.

    It's not good news in that "evil aren't prevented from trying it again, in a slightly different way" meaning.

    That's the bigger problem with this shit. Every time the Trump Administration get slapped down, there's apparently no consequence for them. So there's nothing to stop them doing it again and again. Knowing that they'll get to take months of being assholes before they have to stop again.

    I'd really like to see them get hit with the civil equivalent of "punitive damages". Either an easily accessible injunction system for the ACLU, or a fast-tracked hearing (ie, analagous to "If the Administration tries something like this again, here's our direct number").

    Because we've seen this over and over again.

    It’ll just be the government paying the penalty and they’ll care even less

    Was less thinking monetary amounts, and more fast-tracking legal proceedings. Not quite the pre-approval thing that the VRA managed, but close enough.

    Though, I could get on board with monetary amounts, going to the plaintiff. Make the government pay for the ACLU's costs, and then some, and the ACLU can defend against the government even moreso. One of my concerns is that the government is trying to drain the ACLU's coffers by repeatedly forcing them to sue the government over clearly illegal actions. Even if the ACLU is able to remain solvent, there might be some cases that they can't afford to fight. And even if they can afford to fight, that money is coming from somewhere, usually a left-leaning member of the public, whose money could instead be going to varying election campaigns. I'm probably overthinking that though.

    Gnome-InterruptusElvenshae
Sign In or Register to comment.