Options

Jeffrey Epstein Co-Conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell Finally Convicted

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    When people want people in prison dead they generally pay prisoners to do it. So IF someone killed Epstein by strangulation it'd be someone like his former cellmate, who was an ex-cop who (allegedly) killed 4 people and was built like a brick shithouse. Only one problem. He didn't have a cellmate.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think if we are entertaining the notion that Epstein was murdered by strangulation we also need to entertain the notion that a murderer was summoned to do it because unless you just have very fortuitously hired a murderer as a prison guard I don't think you could pay a regular person enough money to do a strangle murder on a full grown man that is not a minor proposition that is a proposition fraught with peril of many sorts

I mean

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If you don't think a CO would be willing to do a little murder then I got some news for you. Especially if they get paid, assured they won't be caught, and even happen to be of a similar political persuasion.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Assuming Epstein was a suicide, the broken bones and reports of screaming may indicate that the prison was even more severely negligent, under the scenario that Epstein hanged himself rather poorly, made a lot of noise and still nobody noticed or checked on him.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Assuming Epstein was a suicide, the broken bones and reports of screaming may indicate that the prison was even more severely negligent, under the scenario that Epstein hanged himself rather poorly, made a lot of noise and still nobody noticed or checked on him.

Except it really can't be both, either you hang yourself poorly screaming as you slowly choke to death or you break your neck.

Right?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I don't think there's any way you could possibly scream while successfully hanging yourself. Even if you slowly choked to death you wouldn't be able to produce a very loud sound. But I don't think reputable sites are reporting the "screaming" story.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    When I wield Occam's razor it slices away from the idea that a murderer was summoned to slay Jeffery Epstein but it doesn't violate the laws of physics or anything so far as I can tell

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    When I wield Occam's razor it slices away from the idea that a murderer was summoned to slay Jeffery Epstein but it doesn't violate the laws of physics or anything so far as I can tell

Bears repeating:
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

(David Klion is "News Editor @JewishCurrents, writer @thenation and elsewhere, "ubiquitous Twitter pundit" per New York Magazine.")

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That seems very plausible

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Screaming?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

Wooo, that's an interesting ride.
    In our conversation in 2015, you described his relationship with teenage girlfriends: “So many time I tried to stop him. I try to tell tell him my opinion about that. He don’t listen to me. That’s the reason why I’m not working for him no more. I make him do that — to let me go.” Do you remember saying that?

It’s not the teenage girls. I never see the teenage girls. I tell you I never see teenage girls.

Plenty of times when I work for him I never see anything unproper or teenage girls around him.

That’s what I say.

So now you say you only saw him with women? Older than 18? 20?

All what I say he has always been with girlfriends and there was a couple girls — I don’t remember their names. She was 25 and worked for him as assistant. Maybe 25 or 23 — whatever, I don’t know the age.

Okay. But you definitely told me that last time we talked.

No, no. It’s not that. He working like work-release on other stuff. And I just tell him, you know, he would order his girlfriends around, and I told him, “Calm down.” It’s not just teenage girls.

I never see teenage girls in my life at his house. That’s what it is. That’s a misunderstanding. Completely. That’s because — that’s what I’m saying. Most of the time with reporters they give me that kind of questions. “Who told you I see the teenage girls?” I never see the teenage girls in my life. And they said I was —

And later...
    I get that. But you and I have a history at this point. One thing you told me, for instance — okay, one thing you told me is he got a heads up when the authorities were going to come to his house the night before.

Listen, what you say is between you and me —

You told me he would get phone calls the night before and eight o’clock the police are going to come. He would get a heads up from local police.

[Silence.]

You told me that, Igor. Want me to read the quote?

Well, you can read whatever you want right now. Don’t just — you can put yourself in big trouble.

You said: “He always do something wrong. There was some nights in question. There was at home arrest and police, before they come to the house, they call him and tell him they coming in at eight o’clock in the morning. It’s all corruption you know. It’s all bullshit.”

Listen, don’t put yourself in trouble. Seriously.

We talked about this.

I understand we got this.

I’m telling you to give you a chance to remember because we talked about this stuff. I know it’s hard. I don’t know what you mean about “put myself in trouble.”

Let that go. Seriously. Let that go.

Why is it so important? Are you worried about the local cops?

Listen, you’re really smart and I’m not going to offer that over the phone right now, okay? You’re really smart. You have no idea. Please!

What do you mean by that?

I can’t explain you. I can’t explain you over the phone any of this.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Honestly, the fact that he managed to painfully hang himself, which seems like what the report is leaning towards. Is something that speaks pretty poorly of the system. That doesn't sound like a quick suicide attempt that a determined person would do, that couldn't be prevent easily and requires the type of suicide watch that people were speaking against. It does sound like something that a negligent jail would allow to have happen because it's easy to be a human rights violation and "but lol, fuck criminals amiright" sort of BS. There shouldn't be a need for suicide watch, to have a system that prevent someone from slowly hanging themselves to death. This is what gets into the hurt of why there needs to be an investigation because how many times does this happen with non-news worthy inmates, probably too much.

• Options
    That Russian bodyguard certainly knows how to change his story. If the Russians are involved in this too, I'm going to give up on sanity, wear a tinfoil hat everywhere, and start believing in lizard people. It's hard to be a sane and reasonable person when the world is going crazy.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I would put even odds, that Putin and people in his circle probably did make use of Epstein's pedo ring.

Also something that could make things very interesting. New York's child victim act just opened the door for a ton of victims to come forward. We know Epstein was active in the state, so it's probably safe to say that more victims are going to come forward.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    That Russian bodyguard certainly knows how to change his story. If the Russians are involved in this too, I'm going to give up on sanity, wear a tinfoil hat everywhere, and start believing in lizard people. It's hard to be a sane and reasonable person when the world is going crazy.

Are you kidding? Having a Russian there to make backups of every tape Epstein recorded would be exactly what they want.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Wasn't it reported he killed himself with a sheet from his bed? How do you hang yourself in a jail cell with a sheet in a violent enough way to break bones? Usually bones breaking are the result of the sudden stop of the drop. Although he was a fairly old enough guy, and his bones might be brittle, so maybe I'm over thinking this.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Does this guy have any actual connection to the russian government or is this just gross?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It doesn't take a lot of force to break the hyoid or damage thyroid cartilage. There's a significant difference between breaking your cervical spine and hyoid.

No opinions on the continued shitshow that is the prison system beyond it being significantly staffed with negligent, undertrained and unqualified folks that don't care about the people they're charged with keeping safe enough to serve their time.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And because reality doesn't have to make sense, we have this:

Ben Jacobs is a reporter.

It feels like he's just taunting us now.

In unsurprising follow-up, the event has been canceled.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Does this guy have any actual connection to the russian government or is this just gross?

He was Russian Military for a few years. https://www.villagevoice.com/2003/07/08/from-russia-with-bare-knuckles/

Edit - Completey forgot he was the "Slam" guy.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The New York Times has published an interview with Epstein from August 2018. Apparently the interview was agreed to be 'on background', so nothing could be attributed to Epstein, but dude's dead so fuck it.

https://nytimes.com/2019/08/12/business/jeffrey-epstein-interview.html

It's chilling. Epstein is open about his attraction to young girls and compares it to homosexuality, claiming that modern society not accepting it is an 'abberation'. He also has a young woman servants around in full view of the NYT reporter.

Epstein also claims to be advising Elon Musk and implies he's liaising between Musk and the Saudi royal family, or possibly helping Musk find a replacement Tesla CEO in case he was removed. This was around the time of Musk's "Taking Tesla private" tweet, where the private buyers were rumored to be Saudi. The rumors of Epstein being involved were what prompted the interview. But for all we know, those rumors were started by Epstein in order to get a NYT reporter over to his house so he could feel important.

Smurph on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    It doesn't take a lot of force to break the hyoid or damage thyroid cartilage. There's a significant difference between breaking your cervical spine and hyoid.

No opinions on the continued shitshow that is the prison system beyond it being significantly staffed with negligent, undertrained and unqualified folks that don't care about the people they're charged with keeping safe enough to serve their time.

Yeah, looking it up the hyoid is a tiny and not one that takes outside forces at all. Breaking it doesn't seem unreasonable with an adult's body weight behind it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Man, who is even the audience for that mock trial? Conservatives who are into the bible who are also into Chris Christie for some reason and who are also interested in watching a child trafficking mock trial?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Man, who is even the audience for that mock trial? Conservatives who are into the bible who are also into Chris Christie for some reason and who are also interested in watching a child trafficking mock trial?

I wouldn't put much emphasis on the Christie appeal, there. Given the makeup of the lineup, and the premise, it seems like Christie's likely being paid to job this one out.

So, conservative evangelicals get to watch as a high powered lawyer, on the side of God and the Bible, take on Christie, and THEY get to decide who is in the right.

This'd be like wondering who the audience for Hitler is, in the "Captain America on stage" section of Captain America. It seems likely that Christie was going to be portrayed as the villain.

• Options

There's nothing sinister about it. It's just a "Can this famous lawyer defend the indefensible?" piece of improvised drama. It's not an evangelical thing, check the venue!

However it is in extremely poor taste even without recent events and should never have been considered. Glad they cancelled it.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    MorganV wrote: »

I wouldn't put much emphasis on the Christie appeal, there. Given the makeup of the lineup, and the premise, it seems like Christie's likely being paid to job this one out.

So, conservative evangelicals get to watch as a high powered lawyer, on the side of God and the Bible, take on Christie, and THEY get to decide who is in the right.

This'd be like wondering who the audience for Hitler is, in the "Captain America on stage" section of Captain America. It seems likely that Christie was going to be portrayed as the villain.

But isn't Christie the prosecutor in this case? Why is the guy prosecuting child traffickers the bad guy? I'm confused.

There's nothing sinister about it. It's just a "Can this famous lawyer defend the indefensible?" piece of improvised drama. It's not an evangelical thing, check the venue!

However it is in extremely poor taste even without recent events and should never have been considered. Glad they cancelled it.

Is that a common thing? I've never heard of it before :0

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

But isn't Christie the prosecutor in this case? Why is the guy prosecuting child traffickers the bad guy? I'm confused.

"Mock trials" for fun are a normal thing debating societies do. Mock trials with famous crooked lawyers aren't a normal thing, but I assume it sounded like a good idea at the time.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Mock trials like this are routinely done - it's a way for the legal system to show how it works. The problem was with the setup of having Dershowitz presenting a trafficking defense when he's being credibly accused of being involved in such.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    If it was a church fundraiser, the theme might be something like the famous defense lawyer defending Judas Iscariot (who betrayed Jesus) and that wouldn't mean the church suddenly became Satanists, but that they were having a bit of fun with their Bible.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Mock trials like this are routinely done - it's a way for the legal system to show how it works. The problem was with the setup of having Dershowitz presenting a trafficking defense when he's being credibly accused of being involved in such.

It's also a not particularly subtle reminder that Dershowitz built his career on simultaneously specializing in defending abusive men while convincing "well-meaning" liberals that doing so made him a hero, because even the worst need a competent defense. It all plays less well when the nation collectively realizes that he is, at best, a mob lawyer for wife murderers, sexual traffickers, and pedophiles.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Quick note:
    But he will not be defending two Bible figures accused of kidnapping and child trafficking in a mock trial, after the event, set to take place at a New York synagogue this fall, was scrapped on Wednesday.

I feel a few of you missed that bit.

• Options

Maybe it's cause I live in the country? I don't know. I know schools do them. I googled it and the only results that came up for mock trials in my area were high school ones. I guess I didn't realize they were such a common thing elsewhere.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    It's like this was fucked up in every way it was possible to be fucked up, and even in some which are essentially impossible:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardbehar/2019/08/15/jeffrey-epstein-spent-time-alone-with-young-female-prison-visitor
    The day after he was taken off suicide watch, disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein spent at least two hours locked up alone with a young woman, in a private room reserved for inmates and their attorneys, according to an attorney who was visiting the prison that day.

"The optics were startling. Because she was young. And pretty,” said the visiting attorney, who asked that his name not be used because he didn’t want to create friction with the prison administration. NBC News has reported that Epstein paid his lawyers to sit with him in a room for eight hours a day for attorney-client meetings, allowing him to avoid his cell.

Because in America having money means you can literally pay to get let out of your cell despite having no bail.

who thinks that could possibly be a good policy and i just can't even any more.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    It's like this was fucked up in every way it was possible to be fucked up, and even in some which are essentially impossible:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardbehar/2019/08/15/jeffrey-epstein-spent-time-alone-with-young-female-prison-visitor
    The day after he was taken off suicide watch, disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein spent at least two hours locked up alone with a young woman, in a private room reserved for inmates and their attorneys, according to an attorney who was visiting the prison that day.

"The optics were startling. Because she was young. And pretty,” said the visiting attorney, who asked that his name not be used because he didn’t want to create friction with the prison administration. NBC News has reported that Epstein paid his lawyers to sit with him in a room for eight hours a day for attorney-client meetings, allowing him to avoid his cell.

Because in America having money means you can literally pay to get let out of your cell despite having no bail.

I don't want laws limiting how long I can spend talking with my attorney about my case that is about to go to trial.

This is a pre-trial situation. He's not being punished yet. He's awaiting trial.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    NotYou wrote: »

I don't want laws limiting how long I can spend talking with my attorney about my case that is about to go to trial.

This is a pre-trial situation. He's not being punished yet. He's awaiting trial.

Everyone should get the same amount of time the average amount someone who has a public defender gets.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »

To be even more explicit, the purpose of pre-trial detention is to make sure the prisoner doesn't run away or commit more crimes before trial.

However, when one purpose of pre-trial detention is to keep the prisoner from committing more crimes, and he's bringing in young, beautiful women, that's a potential issue that needs a bit of investigation.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That story is just unbelievably stupidly sourced. It's meaningless.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Forbes is about as credible a source as Russia Today.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    The New York Times has published an interview with Epstein from August 2018. Apparently the interview was agreed to be 'on background', so nothing could be attributed to Epstein, but dude's dead so fuck it.

https://nytimes.com/2019/08/12/business/jeffrey-epstein-interview.html

It's chilling. Epstein is open about his attraction to young girls and compares it to homosexuality, claiming that modern society not accepting it is an 'abberation'. He also has a young woman servants around in full view of the NYT reporter.

Epstein also claims to be advising Elon Musk and implies he's liaising between Musk and the Saudi royal family, or possibly helping Musk find a replacement Tesla CEO in case he was removed. This was around the time of Musk's "Taking Tesla private" tweet, where the private buyers were rumored to be Saudi. The rumors of Epstein being involved were what prompted the interview. But for all we know, those rumors were started by Epstein in order to get a NYT reporter over to his house so he could feel important.

Pedos always try to downplay pedophilia as another sexual preference (protip: it isn't since it involves victims by definition). That, "well, girls are too promiscuous these days" aka She Was Asking For It and "on the future, utopian societies will allow us to indulge as we please" (said utopian societies would likely exterminate all pedos) are the top 3 pedo rationalizations. Ars Technica dude also wrote those things on the Ars Technica forums, but somehow nobody could have expected it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    On the subject of corrupt guards and how easy it is to bribe them; there is not a single major correctional facility in this nation that is 100% contraband free. I promise you this on my life's blood. Many of these facilities don't even allow in-person visits anymore, the stated reason being contraband, though of course it's really just cruelty and a way for the prison to charge literally like ten bucks a minute for a fucking Skype call but I digress.

Guards. Guards bring the contraband in because prison guards are hilariously easy to bribe. Guards will also assault, or allow to be assaulted, certain inmates. If a street gang or whatever can scrape up enough dirty cash to do this, why wouldn't a billionaire? In fact, it would be EASIER for a wealthy well-connected person to do so. Exchange a couple hundred thousand to the CO union, grease a few palms personally, pay for some poor asshole's kids to go college, you got a dead rat. It's really not that big a stretch. Like... America's correctional institutions are, to a one, filthy as pig shit. Unreported assaults and rapes are commonplace. If you know literally anything about America's prison system, and I've done a considerable amount of research on the topic and had first-hand accounts from members of my own family (on both sides of the law mind,) you know what I'm saying lines up.

This was a hit. There's no conspiracy about it and playing around with "oh we just can't know that oh no we can't go off on conspiracies!" just kinda feels like playing it safe for absolutely no reason.