As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I really ought to get some RGB strips to brighten up my PC.

It's just so dark in there with the case sitting next to me.

I think I would need a seperate controller or software though, as the MSI Mystic light doesn't seems to have an option for multiple colours that isn't a rainbow.

In other news, over the weekend I updated most of my PC.

Ryzen 3700X I bought from ebay (works!)
    ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe (great price!)
    MSI X570 Meg Ace (I really only bought this due it seemingly having the least issues and the lower chipset fan)
    Noctua NG-D15 + white Chromax heatsink covers and chromax fans.
    Corsair LPX 2x16GB 3200mhz DDR4 ram (got it cheaper than what a 2x8Gb kit cost a couple years ago when ram prices were shit. Was hard to pass).

Reusing:
    WD black 2TB hdd
    EVGA Supernova 750w G2
    MSI GTX 970
    Internal Blu Ray drive
    Phanteks Pro M TG

I'm also going to format my Samsung Evo 850 and use it as well, but I want to wait until I'm more comfortable the stability of this PC before I erase everything from it.

Swapping in the new motherboard, CPU and cooler, ram and M.2 NVME SSD in my case was a nightmare.

The double edge sword was building the PC outside the case to make sure it works, but then forgetting to have the CPU power cables connected BEFORE I put everything in the case.

Because the Noctua NH-D15 is enormous and I could fit my giant hands to connect the cables there.

So that was annoying.

Now all that's missing from this build is a new GPU and monitor. And Maybe some RGB strips.

Anyway, currently have the CPU on auto and got the RAM set to it's advertised 3200hmz speed (was set much lower by default).

While using software like HWinfo and Ryzen Master, the CPU voltage seems to stay low most of the time, but in the motherboard it was showing under 1.48. I can lower it using either override or offset, but I'm wondering if there's a downside to doing so as opposed to just keeping it at auto.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Apparently some issues with hitting advertised boost numbers for a lot of new ryzen 3xxx series folks.

https://youtu.be/DgSoZAdk_E8

My friend and I were discussing this today. It seems crazy that AMD would sell a line of chips that simply aren't up to snuff.

The test (assuming it's from the same place as the article I read) wasn't scientific and could be riddled with biases, but the number of participants is quite high along with the number of them reporting subpar performance.

Perhaps it's an issue with the performance profiler, because if its not then surely AMD are about to face a veritable shit storm.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    It's not just De8auer, lots of posts about it on the amd subreddit. It just seems like either amd was full of shit with the marketing or there is something up with the boost processes.

5% of 3900x's hitting their advertised speeds is pretty shit.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Did they not have similar issues with the 2xxx, or was that just the pickiness with memory?

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Did they not have similar issues with the 2xxx, or was that just the pickiness with memory?

I hadn't heard anything like this about the 2000 series though there was a little with the 1000 series in that the "precision boost" was basically just "add 200mhz,call it a day" but I never really delved into it.

I didn't test my son's 3600 because it's ludicrously overpowered for what he does already.

Der8auer is a trustworthy figure in this space so I just think it's getting more visibility.

All amd had to do was pull an Nvidia and claim lower clocks and let people go nuts saying how good their chips were. Instead it's over promise and under deliver.

Intel fanboys are all over this too saying intel chips hit boost on all cores easily (which is true) but no one is talking about the insane value that the Ryzen 3000 chips represent because of this silliness.

Basically its an AMD own goal with either software/firmware, silicon quality, marketing or all of the above.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how to turn on virtualiazation on MSI X570? I haven't been able to find anything online or in the documentation.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to turn on virtualiazation on MSI X570? I haven't been able to find anything online or in the documentation.

Check:
    OC=>CPU Features =>SVM Mode =>[Enabled]

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »

Check:
    OC=>CPU Features =>SVM Mode =>[Enabled]

Great! Thanks.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Apparently some issues with hitting advertised boost numbers for a lot of new ryzen 3xxx series folks.

https://youtu.be/DgSoZAdk_E8

My friend and I were discussing this today. It seems crazy that AMD would sell a line of chips that simply aren't up to snuff.

The test (assuming it's from the same place as the article I read) wasn't scientific and could be riddled with biases, but the number of participants is quite high along with the number of them reporting subpar performance.

Perhaps it's an issue with the performance profiler, because if its not then surely AMD are about to face a veritable shit storm.

It won't be a shit storm. Worst case it'd go like the 970 4/3.5gig vram thing and people could get a few dollars back if they applied for it or something, with likely only a very small fraction of owners doing so.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Thoughts between Adata and Sabrent for nvme?

Looking at: adata vs sabrent

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    The shitstorm won't be the suit, it'll be the PR disaster. A billion Intel fanboys screeching about how "AMD faked numbers and AMD chips run like shit!!111" when even if they don't hit their theoretical self-OC limits, they're still a full tech generation ahead of Intel now.

• Options

It appears both have a 5-yr warranty. So depending on whether they have different controllers, they're functionally identical, so go with the cheaper one.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

I have the adata one and so far so good.

I might need to update the bios of my motherboard though as cold start ups do take a while compared to my old pc with just a sata sdd

EDIT: Do I have to remove my CPU, GPU and RAM before I can flash the bios from a usb stick?

The manual only says the CPU and ATX power cables are needed on my X570 MB, but if I just leave everything already installed and update the bios using this method could I potentially fuck up the other components?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »

I have the adata one and so far so good.

I might need to update the bios of my motherboard though as cold start ups do take a while compared to my old pc with just a sata sdd

EDIT: Do I have to remove my CPU, GPU and RAM before I can flash the bios from a usb stick?

The manual only says the CPU and ATX power cables are needed on my X570 MB, but if I just leave everything already installed and update the bios using this method could I potentially fuck up the other components?

No you can leave everything connected. Just make sure to go back in to the bios after flash and redo your settings

• Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    @KiTA I have the Arctis 7 Pro + Game DAC and I really like them. They are pretty comfortable for me. I did just have to RMA them though. My 7 year old son likes to steal them from my PC and play with them on the PS4 and somehow he messed up the MIC.

It retracts into the left side. It would work, but I had to damn near put the thing into my mouth to get it to register any input.

So I contacted Steel Series, showed them my receipt and sent them a few pics. They approved the RMA. Then I destroyed my headphones and my new ones should arrive on Tuesday.

Their customer support has been great for me. Maybe it's better now then it was?

Scared the shit out of me breaking my headphones in half though, since they worked fine except for the microphone.

Wait, the GameDAC works with a wireless headset?

... what is a DAC anyway? Fancy term for an external sound card?

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I read some reviews about issues cloning from SSD drives with 512 something or other to certain nvme drives because of 4k sector? I'm leaning towards paying a little more for the Samsung 970 Evo since I have a 2.5 860 evo and the software migration assistant would just work I'm assuming. Anyone have thoughts on forgoing this method and how I would clone to another brand?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    @KiTA I have the Arctis 7 Pro + Game DAC and I really like them. They are pretty comfortable for me. I did just have to RMA them though. My 7 year old son likes to steal them from my PC and play with them on the PS4 and somehow he messed up the MIC.

It retracts into the left side. It would work, but I had to damn near put the thing into my mouth to get it to register any input.

So I contacted Steel Series, showed them my receipt and sent them a few pics. They approved the RMA. Then I destroyed my headphones and my new ones should arrive on Tuesday.

Their customer support has been great for me. Maybe it's better now then it was?

Scared the shit out of me breaking my headphones in half though, since they worked fine except for the microphone.

A Digital to Analog Converter or DAC is part of a sound card. It takes the raw digital audio stream and turns it into the amplified, modulated electrical impulses that drive speakers and headphones. The DAC you get with onboard audio is usually pretty low end. It also won't run planar magnetic headphones if that's your thing.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

A Digital to Analog Converter or DAC is part of a sound card. It takes the raw digital audio stream and turns it into the amplified, modulated electrical impulses that drive speakers and headphones. The DAC you get with onboard audio is usually pretty low end. It also won't run planar magnetic headphones if that's your thing.

Juicing up the cans is more the job of the amp, which is a whole other thing.

And then you go down that hole of spending several hundred/thousands of dollars on DACs, amps, and transducers and your life is in shambles while you pick out minute sounds on a spectrograph while the world around you burns.

• Options
    I read some reviews about issues cloning from SSD drives with 512 something or other to certain nvme drives because of 4k sector? I'm leaning towards paying a little more for the Samsung 970 Evo since I have a 2.5 860 evo and the software migration assistant would just work I'm assuming. Anyone have thoughts on forgoing this method and how I would clone to another brand?

I just cloned across brands from Samsung to Silicon Power, with Macrium Reflect. It's free and there are YT vids that walk you through the process if you're unsure.

That issue is a concern only if you're moving from HDD to SSD/NVMe; and it's largely been mitigated at this point.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Incompatible+Disk+Selected

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Thanks @Mugsley appreciate the info! I'm looking at a HP EX920 1tb on sale - are these good?

edit - read some reviews, looks like a solid choice at $100

cardboard delusions on
  • Options

der8auer

AMD just released this statement:

“AMD is pleased with the strong momentum of 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ processors in the PC enthusiast and gaming communities. We closely monitor community feedback on our products and understand that some 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen users are reporting boost clock speeds below the expected processor boost frequency. While processor boost frequency is dependent on many variables including workload, system design, and cooling solution, we have closely reviewed the feedback from our customers and have identified an issue in our firmware that reduces boost frequency in some situations. We are in the process of preparing a BIOS update for our motherboard partners that addresses that issue and includes additional boost performance optimizations. We will provide an update on September 10 to the community regarding the availability of the BIOS.”

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    der8auer

AMD just released this statement:

“AMD is pleased with the strong momentum of 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ processors in the PC enthusiast and gaming communities. We closely monitor community feedback on our products and understand that some 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen users are reporting boost clock speeds below the expected processor boost frequency. While processor boost frequency is dependent on many variables including workload, system design, and cooling solution, we have closely reviewed the feedback from our customers and have identified an issue in our firmware that reduces boost frequency in some situations. We are in the process of preparing a BIOS update for our motherboard partners that addresses that issue and includes additional boost performance optimizations. We will provide an update on September 10 to the community regarding the availability of the BIOS.”

There's a reason why I'm waiting for second gen consumer MCM to upgrade - I expected some kind of unforseen kinks.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    Maybe this BIOS update will fix my 1.45v issue.

Or maybe not.

• Options
    I naively expect that stuff I buy works like it says it will.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I have a 3600. I'm not super keen on watching that 20-minute-long droning video linked above. Could someone paraphrase in ELI5 form what the actual problem with 3xxx CPUs is (or supposedly is) and how I can test to see if it affects mine?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I have a 3600. I'm not super keen on watching that 20-minute-long droning video linked above. Could someone paraphrase in ELI5 form what the actual problem with 3xxx CPUs is (or supposedly is) and how I can test to see if it affects mine?

If you're not noticing it don't worry about it.
    The gist of it is that AMD said a chip will boost to X speed and a lot of chips just aren't hitting advertised speeds. Some are 25mhz off and some are 200+.
    Basically the issue is that they promised a speed that too many people aren't achieving and there is internet hubub about it so they are hopefully fixing it.

If Intel had done this there would be a literal shitstorm about false advertising but since AMD is the new golden child this year it's an "oopsie" outside of people like Der8auer.

Again, if you haven't noticed it already I wouldn't worry about it but if you want to test it watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-G1Ukrg-Wk

Goes over some test stuff and is only 8 minutes :)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

If you're not noticing it don't worry about it.
    The gist of it is that AMD said a chip will boost to X speed and a lot of chips just aren't hitting advertised speeds. Some are 25mhz off and some are 200+.
    Basically the issue is that they promised a speed that too many people aren't achieving and there is internet hubub about it so they are hopefully fixing it.

If Intel had done this there would be a literal shitstorm about false advertising but since AMD is the new golden child this year it's an "oopsie" outside of people like Der8auer.

Again, if you haven't noticed it already I wouldn't worry about it but if you want to test it watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-G1Ukrg-Wk

Goes over some test stuff and is only 8 minutes :)

Also if it was Intel they wouldn't give a shit and never issue a fix.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    AMD has already announced a BIOS update to fix the boost clock issues, they'll have more info on the BIOS update roll out in one week. Their statement is pretty vague, just that they've "identified an issue in our firmware that reduces boost frequency in some situations" outside of the conditionals that already existed like workload and cooling solution.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I really don't care who "wins", but I wish we'd drop the plucky underdog bias towards AMD. Both companies have proven, multiple times, they will fuck consumers for their bottom line.

AMD should be getting taken to task for paper launching a CPU that can't hit it's advertised boost and for doing a "one good, one bad" chiplet strategy with a 500 dollar CPU. Thankfully we have people like der8aur and GN Steve to call both companies out when they do dumb shit.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    jgeis wrote: »
    AMD has already announced a BIOS update to fix the boost clock issues, they'll have more info on the BIOS update roll out in one week. Their statement is pretty vague, just that they've "identified an issue in our firmware that reduces boost frequency in some situations" outside of the conditionals that already existed like workload and cooling solution.

cshpjrioqr9b.gif

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Bought a 1TB NVME drive to replace my 512GB m.2 SSD.
    Should give me a bit of breathing room for all the games.

on another note I haven't had any game crashes with my video drivers but I consistenly have the driver crash and black screen all the monitors only to recover ~5 seconds later and bring 2 monitors back. I have to unplug and re-plug the cable into the 3rd to get it going again.
    This shit is aggravating.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

And then you go down that hole of spending several hundred/thousands of dollars on DACs, amps, and transducers and your life is in shambles while you pick out minute sounds on a spectrograph while the world around you burns.

Pfft, if your PCIE sound card isn't good enough, just get the Magni/Modi Schiit stack and be done with all this "audiophile" stuff.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @Aridhol I legitimately missed that post in the sea of quotes and YouTube embeds!

• Options
    All good :)

It's good they've acknowledged the issue and are fixing it up.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I really don't care who "wins", but I wish we'd drop the plucky underdog bias towards AMD. Both companies have proven, multiple times, they will fuck consumers for their bottom line.

AMD should be getting taken to task for paper launching a CPU that can't hit it's advertised boost and for doing a "one good, one bad" chiplet strategy with a 500 dollar CPU. Thankfully we have people like der8aur and GN Steve to call both companies out when they do dumb shit.

Yeah, AMD is fucking up with this stuff. It's not good, and yes, Intel would receive far more shit for it. Because they're still by far the market leader.

But AMD has lit a fire under the CPU space, a market segment that was nearly comatose for a decade, and provided far more power per dollar than Intel had done in forever, and has earned my trust so far as who I will spend money with. Since 08, it's been Intel.

If any company starts fucking up, they get dropped for whoever is offering the better deals. Corporate loyalty is dumb.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Pfft, if your PCIE sound card isn't good enough, just get the Magni/Modi Schiit stack and be done with all this "audiophile" stuff.

Already ahead of you brosef. I peaked down that well, got a glimpse of the abyss, got a stack, and washed my hands of that stuff. Shit is dangerous.

Instead, I'm thinking of plunking down several hundos on building a custom mechanical keyboard using switches that cost like a dollar apiece. :rotate:

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, running the test in that video, my 3600 is only boosting to 4150 mhz. I would never notice a difference between that and the advertised 4200 anyway, but it is a bit eyebrow-raising. Will be curious to see if they sort it with a bios update.

In unrelated news, I ran 3dMark and while I can't put up crazy numbers like I've seen some people post in here, I am amused by how close my graphics and CPU scores were to each other. I'll just assume that means the system is nicely balanced and neither is holding back the other. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Your 3600 is supposed to auto overclock. They have a target value that at least one core (or exactly one core, it's not clear) is supposed to reach. This is called the Boost Clock, apparently.

Currently, the chips use some form of voodoo to figure out how far to overclock. They found a flaw in this voodoo ritual that is causing the numbers not to go up as high as it could. They're updating the voodoo.

Edit: Oh wow, I should have hit refresh first lol.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Slow day in the PC Build thread.

• Options
    Slow day in the PC Build thread.

Threads not hitting advertised clock speeds

This discussion has been closed.