As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I only mentioned it because I have a 3600 as well, and while it mostly kept to the 40s with the stock cooler, that dropped to the 30s once I put on a cooler that probably isn’t even as robust as a Noctua. If that cooler could only keep it idling at 50, I’d probably wonder if I had seated it askew or applied the thermal paste unevenly or something, but of course, not a big deal if it’s staying that cool under load.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Did some more looking at temps, and it’s idling at like 45-50, depending. After an hour or so of Monster Hunter cranked it got up to 75-79, so a bit higher than what I thought. As soon as I quit out through it dropped down to 65-60 pretty quickly (which is why I initially thought it was 65 under load).

The cooler is a Noctua, but it’s a smaller one; this is an HTPC in my living room cabinet so it’s going to run a little hotter than normal I think because of the confined space. I played with the fan curves a bit more so hopefully that helps. It’s a bit louder than my old setup (i3-4330 with a GTX 970), but I’m also pushing out 4K @60fps so I figure I’m also taxing it a bit more.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    That sounds nearly perfect, to me, especially considering the confined space.

• Options
    I should also say my cpu fan points directly into another Noctua that vents out of the case, and I had that blowing a bit lower than I should. So adjusting that should help too.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Your temps are perfectly fine. I really wouldn’t fret about it much. As long as the CPU isn’t throttling, you’re good to go with those temps. Especially in an HTPC.

Unrelated news, Amazon already processed my refund for the 3900X, so switcheroo complete. I know myself well enough I should have known a month ago I was going to end up wanting the 3950X as impractical as it is. I realized a long time ago upgrading my PC is basically a hobby of its own at this point.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Thanks folks! Really appreciate the piece of mind.

Gnome, btw, your setup is beautiful. Nice work!

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Speaking of which. Pictures after final clean up and lighting changes:
    kEvoV81.jpg?1

The purple pops more in RL than it does in the picture. The RAM, CPU block and radiator fans are purple. The purple from the radiator fans kind of bleeds through the grommets which makes a cool purple glow emanate from the back of the case. Unfortunately that's really hard to see in the picture.

I want to train my GPU power cables a little better, but for now I'm fine with this.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Hm, wonder if I should get a GPU or a monitor the next time I have some money. I'm still on a R7 260x, and I'm assuming at this point decent onboard GPUs aren't far behind it, much less anything real.

But since my old main monitor broke I've been limited to the little 1366x768 thing I had been using as a secondary, so it's not like the 260x is having to put in much work...but if I buy a new monitor and suddenly the GPU becomes a bottleneck that feels shittier I think? Though I guess I can always run things in little windows and enjoy the spare real estate. But I kind of worry about an old card maybe failing and leaving me boned. :rotate:

You should be able to get an RX 590 8GB for around the $200 mark, and a reasonably nice 144Hz 1080p 24 inch monitor for under $200.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I took the time to finally try Argus Monitor, as a one stop monitoring and fan control solution. It was super easy to get my case fans setup to cue off my average GPU temperature which is exactly what I wanted. My AIO handles the CPU just fine, and the only time my case is building up a lot of hot air to be expelled is when the GPU spools up. I liked the experience enough I went ahead and about a 3 year license for 20 bucks. I know there are free tools like SpeedFan out there but Argus did exactly what I needed with minimum fuss and that's worth 20 bucks to me.

Added bonus: Once I got the fan curve dialed in I dropped my average GPU temps under load by about 5c and my 2080 Ti is regularly boosting to and holding 2ghz on the core. Overall noise is probably the same, it's not quiet...but I didn't build the system to be quiet, I built it to move air and keep my GPU cool.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    @Drascin

Would something like the Fractal Define R6 fit your needs better? It has 360mm of space in the front so you could mount the two AIO exhaust fans high up on the front or even at the bottom, leaving space for a front-facing intake fan to blow cooler air on the GPU. Also, no tempered glass panels.

I will also second the recommendation on the AIO for your use case, since you live in Spain and (I HEAR but have no first hand experience) that you're not as reliant on air conditioning as we in the US are.

Yeah, I have never had AC in my life, and honestly it seems unlikely any flat I rent comes with AC unless I start doing significantly better money-wise.

And I do have an old fractal case, that was pretty good, the only problem I have is that finding replacement parts around here is a pain in the ass. So I lost one filter hold, and never managed to get a replacement, so the thing is pretty dusty and it's a pain in the ass to clean decently.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So for I have yet to see any core on my 3950X get to 4700mhz. Maximum I've seen is 4650. I have adequate cooling, the CPU never gets anywhere near it's thermal limits. During normal operation I've never seen it above 65C. The VRM on my board is more than good enough and I have plenty of power going to it with a 1000W PSU and both the 8 and 4 pin CPU power connects hooked up. I'm not really going to get upset over 50mhz, it's more an interesting case study in how little we understand exactly how these Ryzen CPU's do their clock business.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So for I have yet to see any core on my 3950X get to 4700mhz. Maximum I've seen is 4650. I have adequate cooling, the CPU never gets anywhere near it's thermal limits. During normal operation I've never seen it above 65C. The VRM on my board is more than good enough and I have plenty of power going to it with a 1000W PSU and both the 8 and 4 pin CPU power connects hooked up. I'm not really going to get upset over 50mhz, it's more an interesting case study in how little we understand exactly how these Ryzen CPU's do their clock business.

I think it depends on other core loads somehow as well.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Check your bus frequency. The base clock is supposed to be 100MHz, and mine sits at ~99.7ish. So I get close to 4.5GHz but not quite.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Can you use Ryzen Tuner (or w/e it's called) to tweak those settings?

• Options
    edited January 2020

Check your bus frequency. The base clock is supposed to be 100MHz, and mine sits at ~99.7ish. So I get close to 4.5GHz but not quite.

Yeah, that's a good point. My bus speed in CPU-Z is being reported as 99.8mhz. I wonder why that is?
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Can you use Ryzen Tuner (or w/e it's called) to tweak those settings?

Ryzen Master? It can tune a lot but I've only started to play with it.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Strange thing, I've been using the auto-undervolt option in Adrenalin and it turns that setting off whenever I shut down my computer. Not sure how to make that the permanent setting.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    A little research on the 99.8 clock thing: It's called "spread spectrum clocking" and it's a feature that helps reduce electromagnetic noise. You can supposedly disable it but people don't recommend it. I'm not going to kvetch over 50mhz so I'll leave it be.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Admittedly I've only explored Ryzen Master a little, but I think it'll only let you set voltages but not offsets. So while I have a stable 4.3 all core OC, it wont drop below 1.265v which I guess is fine, but if I left it on auto it'll bounce between ~.9v to ~1.45v which is unacceptably high.

You should be able to adjust the BCLK though, maybe adding a MHz will keep you at 100Mhz and get you to 4.7?

• Options
    I think 1.45v is pretty normal for these CPU's. The 3950X certainly bounces up there a lot under almost completely stock settings. I can't imagine it's a dangerous voltage level if they come out of the box doing it.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Soon.
    gsMPMRa.jpg

And by soon, I mean maybe within the year, so don't hold your breath. But at least I have an actual work area now.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    So I've been reading more about Ryzen volts and temps, just trying to understand how these work. Apparently viewing the voltage in tools like CPU-Z or HWInfo is going to give you false numbers because of how Ryzen actually puts cores to sleep, making their voltage unreadable, when they are not being used. According to this Reddit thread, with official replies from AMD, the chip itself regulates all voltage, using built in firmware, and if you haven't manually OC'ed your chip it will never put dangerous volts through it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbbfce/3900x_being_overvolted_on_amd_ryzen_power_plans/

On top of that I've noticed that Ryzen Master is regularly showing CPU temperatures much lower than other tools. Ryzen Master is showing my chip idling at 35.5C right now, while Argus Monitor is showing 45C. Neither is scary, but it could mean that our current crop of tools is not interpreting Ryzen temperatures correctly. It could also be the difference between an average core temperature and the package temperature being reported. I'm going to poke around a little more and see what I come up with on that front.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So I'm considering a new system. My current one does pretty well with everything i throw at it, but It's several years old by now (Dell, i-7, 6700, 3.4Ghz 24gigs ram with a 960 nvidia) and can't support the newer video cards.

Previously I've generally been happy with getting a stock Dell system, and buying my own 200-300 dollar video card to put inside myself and thats worked pretty well until now. This time i want something with a pretty nice video card (but not tip top stuff) so i can look at getting an index VR headset.

Again, doing the math it looks like the cost of building it myself vs having dell do it, is within a margin of 'I'll just pay it and be lazy' for the most part, but its been a while so I have a few questions:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-desktop-special-edition/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop/xdvsetcr006s?view=configurations&configurationid=50ce1b56-070b-4c6d-8db4-46809705f1ce

This is what im thinking about.
    Firstly, is there any reason the 9700k core would be a bad choice vs the 9900 or 9900k?
    Next, is there anything special about the next level up network card that I should care about? its only 20 bucks more but I know nothing about current network stuff.
    From what I've looked up the 2070 super is pretty close to the 2080 in performance, but is there any reason to step up further? Especially with my VR goals in mind, is there anything about the 2080 vs the 2070 super that would especially be VR helpful.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I'm considering a new system. My current one does pretty well with everything i throw at it, but It's several years old by now (Dell, i-7, 6700, 3.4Ghz 24gigs ram with a 960 nvidia) and can't support the newer video cards.

Previously I've generally been happy with getting a stock Dell system, and buying my own 200-300 dollar video card to put inside myself and thats worked pretty well until now. This time i want something with a pretty nice video card (but not tip top stuff) so i can look at getting an index VR headset.

Again, doing the math it looks like the cost of building it myself vs having dell do it, is within a margin of 'I'll just pay it and be lazy' for the most part, but its been a while so I have a few questions:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-desktop-special-edition/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop/xdvsetcr006s?view=configurations&configurationid=50ce1b56-070b-4c6d-8db4-46809705f1ce

Firstly, is there any reason the 9700k core would be a bad choice vs the 9900 or 9900k?
    Next, is there anything special about the next level up network card that I should care about? its only 20 bucks more but I know nothing about current network stuff.
    From what I've looked up the 2070 super is pretty close to the 2080 in performance, but is there any reason to step up further? Especially with my VR goals in mind, is there anything about the 2080 vs the 2070 super that would especially be VR helpful.

I would take the 9900 if you're not planning on overclocking because i7's don't have hyperthreading anymore. You'd go from 8 core 8 thread to 8 core 16 thread for $70.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Is there any particular reason it has to be a Dell?

You can get a better system for that price from a different vendor. I configured this on iBuyPower quickly to see what you can get for that money:

AMD Ryzen 7 3rd Gen Configurator
    Case Thermaltake Suppressor F31 Tempered Glass Gaming Case - Black
    Case Fans 3x [Silent] be quiet! Pure Wings 2 PWM 120mm Black Fan
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8x 3.6GHZ/32MB L3 Cache) - Free Upgrade to AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor
    Processor Cooling be quiet! DARK ROCK SLIM CPU Cooler
    Memory 32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - GSKILL Ripjaws V
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
    Motherboard ASUS PRIME X570-P --RGB, Gb Lan, USB 3.2 (7 Rear, 4 Front)
    Power Supply 650 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Gold
    Advance Cabling Options Standard Default Cables
    Primary Hard Drive 1 TB ADATA XPG SX8200PNP PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 3500MB/s; Write: 3000MB/s
    Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 AC1200 Wireless Network Card 802.11ac Dual-Band (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) up to 867 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.2
    Operating System Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)
    Keyboard iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard - Free Upgrade to iBUYPOWER Standard RGB Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse iBUYPOWER Gaming Optical Mouse - Multi-Color LED Lighting
    Advanced Build Options - Thermal Paste Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks
    Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
    Rush Service Standard Service - Estimated Ship out in 5-10 Business Days

This comes out to $1,995.00.

In terms of price Δ vs a BYO, you are probably looking at $400-$500. Mine system is extremely similar, but with better RAM, slightly less expensive motherboard (about $50 less), much nicer case, and I didn't need an SSD. I ended up around $1350, not including the monitor I got as well.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

If you build it yourself that $2000 can get you the 9900k and a 2080 Super.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

If you build it yourself that $2000 can get you the 9900k and a 2080 Super.

And probably still have a couple Franklins left over!

• Options

I would take the 9900 if you're not planning on overclocking because i7's don't have hyperthreading anymore. You'd go from 8 core 8 thread to 8 core 16 thread for $70.

My Dells have always been reliable, I've never had a bad one over 20+ years of computers, so its just been a matter of trust, not saying your wrong about others possibly being a better value, I'm rather sure your correct, its just hard to change at this point, especially since im going the slightly more expensive route. (I'm usually happy with a 1k-1300 dollar system).

It's also been a long time since I've touched the inside of a computer other than to install my video card, so I just don't quite trust myself to build it and not screw something up.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

My Dells have always been reliable, I've never had a bad one over 20+ years of computers, so its just been a matter of trust, not saying your wrong about others possibly being a better value, I'm rather sure your correct, its just hard to change at this point, especially since im going the slightly more expensive route. (I'm usually happy with a 1k-1300 dollar system).

It's also been a long time since I've touched the inside of a computer other than to install my video card, so I just don't quite trust myself to build it and not screw something up.

I uh think you quoted the wrong person lol

I still stand by my earlier assertion that a 9900 is a better value for your choice.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I just love seeing my core temp at 36ºc when the ambient temperature is 29ºc. 7 deegrees over ambiente is just delicious.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

I still stand by my earlier assertion that a 9900 is a better value for your choice.

yeah i just picked one to generally reply.

I'll consider the 9900, I kinda missed the fact that the 9700k is still an i-7. i thought they were both i-9's , one just newer or a difference in cache.

What about the network card difference and the 2070 super vs 2080 for vr?

• Options
    edited January 2020

yeah i just picked one to generally reply.

I'll consider the 9900, I kinda missed the fact that the 9700k is still an i-7. i thought they were both i-9's , one just newer or a difference in cache.

What about the network card difference and the 2070 super vs 2080 for vr?

There's almost no difference between the 2080 vs 2070 super, not worth a consideration.

I'm probably the last person to ask about gamery networking stuff, but as far as I know unless you're big in to competitive multiplayer shooter stuff you're probably not going to get much out of it.

Edit further: Oh, it's WiFi. Uh, I dunno I generally steer clear of WiFi completely.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested
    Amazon has dropped the 3900x to $469

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just pulled the trigger on a XFX 5700 RX card. It's on sale for $300 right now which seems to put it at a pretty good price point for the performance, and apparently you can flash it to pull 5700XT clock speeds. We'll see if I'm that motivated or CPU limited, which is an older intel 4690 i5.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    side note, the reference blower XFX RX5700 has no backplate... neither does it need one. I'm running my pc without a side panel behind my monitor, and that videocard is SOLID in place, zero need for a support thingy either. The metal cowling is not gonna sag or move a milimetre. The reinforced PCI-Express slot and 2 screws are more than enough.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Backplates don't usually do shit for gpu sag because they're not attached to the bracket and the sag starts/happens at the bracket (where you screw in).

Back plates can help with cooling but it's very marginal.

• Options
    Back plates can make it look awesome, tho

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Backplates don't usually do shit for gpu sag because they're not attached to the bracket and the sag starts/happens at the bracket (where you screw in).

Back plates can help with cooling but it's very marginal.

Really? Most of the GPUs I've installed, the backplate screws directly into slot bracket.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I just checked my 2080 super and Rx 590 and neither one is structurally tied to the pci slot/ IO plate.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I just double-checked my 980Ti and yeah, the backplate isn't directly attached to the backplate bracket.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    My 2060's backplate is definitely resting on the case slot rather than fully held by the pci slot, which seems like a good little detail to reduce wear on the motherboard.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
This discussion has been closed.