As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10 minutes is too long to not have a [MOVIES] thread

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah if that's plagiarism, go ahead and shut music down. There's nothing left to make.

Finally, I've been waiting to pull this giant lever

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Gonna be honest, I'd also be pretty down with a musical that just straight up opened with an orchestration of the entire 23 minutes and 31 seconds.

I wanna hear an orchestra recreate the "whale song" section

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I love love love love phantom of the opera

It rules and also I wouldn't have ever gotten into musicals without it

But ALW is still a garbage person

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No no no no no

There's goes, "Ding ding dingding diggidingding" and mine goes, "Ding ding dingding diGGIdingding"

It's not the same.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I was more making a joke about how the only song of his I like is the one that sounds like my favorite band

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I was more making a joke about how the only song of his I like is the one that sounds like my favorite band

that definitely checks out

I, too, don't like most of the rest of Phantom's soundtrack

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I saw a cat sit on a mousetrap which now that I think about it was very large compared to the cat that sat in it either these cats are very small or that world has mice roughly the size of cats and boy that ain't gonna improve the cat infant mortality rate

Maybe it was a rat trap

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I hate ALW but I have to be honest and say that a lot of his music slaps

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I guarantee you this trailer changed lives

But for the better?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Phantom of the Opera is only worthwhile because it lead to the existence of Phantom of the Paradise and now Phantom of the Opera can stop existing it has fulfilled its only purpose.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Memories is a fucking banger

Music of the night is a fucking banger

Phantom of the opera is a fucking banger

Herod’s song is a fucking banger

Most of Joseph bangs

There’s a reason people put up with his turgid dreck

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm also pleased that Cats trailer didn't ignite anything in me.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm also pleased that Cats trailer didn't ignite anything in me.

You can only stoke what is already burning.

• Options
    I went to see Phantom and found it basically incomprehensible outside of the big numbers and the magic tricks

• Options
    I am basically immune to musicals as a concept since I don't listen to lyrics and I'm very glad of this fact tbh

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I am basically immune to musicals as a concept since I don't listen to lyrics and I'm very glad of this fact tbh

How do you do this, surely you must absorb the contents of words in the English language by accident

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Speaking of hearing riffs of other tunes. There was a musical cue that pops up a couple times in Godzilla that brought back memories of me humming the tune A LOT as a kid. And the last month or so had me utterly losing my mind trying to figure out what movie it was from.

Anyways I watched Ang Lee’s the Hulk and boom. It was the Danny’s Elfman Hulk theme it kept mentally evoking

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Thinking about it, I think I would declare Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat as his overall strongest work. The highs might not reach quite as high as some of the stuff from Cats or Phantom, but everything is just on a higher average level. The story is well-known and simple enough. It doesn't rely on the production spectacle as much so you don't lose out as much on the experience by just listening to the songs.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

How do you do this, surely you must absorb the contents of words in the English language by accident

I know multiple people who don't hear the words when they listen to songs and it blows my mind.
    Fortunately I can blow them right back just by explaining what the song is about.

One of my friends loves Josh Ritter but had no idea that The Curse is about mummies.

• Options
    Little Shop of Horrors is the gold standard of stage to film musicals.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

(As far as lyrics to songs go, I often don't pay attention to them until the third or fourth listen, because my ear is always picking apart the instrumentation first.)

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Memories is a fucking banger

Music of the night is a fucking banger

Phantom of the opera is a fucking banger

Herod’s song is a fucking banger

Most of Joseph bangs

There’s a reason people put up with his turgid dreck

Music Of The Night might be in my top ten songs of all time

It is fucking GOOD

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Andrew Lloyd Webber is member of the House of Lords and has voted fuck all times there, like 19 times since 1997

He notably did however fly over from New York as his own expense to vote in favour of the Tory government's tax credit cuts

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I despise ALW outside of his religious stuff, but JC has a few bangers and Joseph is completely fantastic all killer no filler musical theatre

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Gustav wrote: »
    Speaking of hearing riffs of other tunes. There was a musical cue that pops up a couple times in Godzilla that brought back memories of me humming the tune A LOT as a kid. And the last month or so had me utterly losing my mind trying to figure out what movie it was from.

Anyways I watched Ang Lee’s the Hulk and boom. It was the Danny’s Elfman Hulk theme it kept mentally evoking

There were a lot of classic Godzilla music cues included in there, was it just one you didn't recognize?
    E:Woop didn't read to the end of the post ignore me

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

rough estimate, about 75% of singing I find to be genuinely unintelligible unless I sit and really focus on it, which would bring that number down to...oh, 40%, maybe?

the rest is usually too poetic and abstract for me to extract any meaning from, which means I usually hear it, understand it, and then immediately forget it

I don't know the lyrics to most of my favorite songs

I do know some lyrics, and typically they're by artists who write strong narrative structures and sing really clearly, i.e. Dolly Parton, Harvey Danger

and nearly all rap is just right the fuck out, I'm literally too stupid for anyone faster than MF Doom

it wouldn't shock me to find out that I have some weird processing problem, frankly

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Andrew Lloyd Webber is member of the House of Lords and has voted fuck all times there, like 19 times since 1997

He notably did however fly over from New York as his own expense to vote in favour of the Tory government's tax credit cuts

Every now and then the Lords do something useful and I think "huh maybe as an institute it does have some merits" and then I remember people get there literally for being famous or wealthy and it's packed to the brim with loony assholes.

• Options
    I actually listened to the lyrics to a RHCPs record once and I was like "this literally makes zero sense Anthony"

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Beetlejuice the musical. There's a fuckin thing we saw in NY. It was crazy good. The kid playing Lydia is 17 and has more talent in her pinky than I could hope to have in my life.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tynic wrote: »

Every now and then the Lords do something useful and I think "huh maybe as an institute it does have some merits" and then I remember people get there literally for being famous or wealthy and it's packed to the brim with loony assholes.

It's a bizarrely functional place in many ways. Ostensibly and idealogically completely contemptible but weirdly effective in practice. That bill failed, for example, the government lost in the Lords over it, and Cameron/Osbourne were forced to drop the plans it was so controversial

It does absolutely have its fair share of nutcases though. And we have guys like ALW voting on things if they want to? What? Why?

Solar on
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »

There were a lot of classic Godzilla music cues included in there, was it just one you didn't recognize?

Oh yeah I knew the classics. Lost my god damn mind at the new Mothra arrangement. This is just a very brief little cue used a couple of times that was driving me up the wall because I couldn't place it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I actually listened to the lyrics to a RHCPs record once and I was like "this literally makes zero sense Anthony"

You have to be from California to get it.

• Options

It's a bizarrely functional place in many ways. Ostensibly and idealogically completely contemptible but weirdly effective in practice. That bill failed, for example, the government lost in the Lords over it, and Cameron/Osbourne were forced to drop the plans it was so controversial

It does absolutely have its fair share of nutcases though. And we have guys like ALW voting on things if they want to? What? Why?

I think there's something to be said for having sections of the legislative branch that both have decision-making power and are specifically selected for their expertise in certain areas, and the Lords can more easily fulfill this function since they don't have to be career politicians.
    Now I've got a fantasy UK going in my head where institutions like the Royal Society get a quota of seats in the upper house. That'd be interesting.

• Options

I think there's something to be said for having sections of the legislative branch that both have decision-making power and are specifically selected for their expertise in certain areas, and the Lords can more easily fulfill this function since they don't have to be career politicians.
    Now I've got a fantasy UK going in my head where institutions like the Royal Society get a quota of seats in the upper house. That'd be interesting.

A long suggested idea for reform is that Royally Chartered Institutes get seats that means the various artistic, cultural, journalistic, professional etc professions and institutions are all represented by experts that can provide experience and practical knowledge in the field of whatever. So policy gets proper scrutiny etc.

Since they (mostly) got rid of the hereditary peers and the rest will be gone soon I think it is halfway there in some ways anyway. It is, like I said, bizarrely effective. Probably because unlike the Commons its not filled with career politicians concerned bu reelection. It has been considerably more progressive than the Tory dominated Commons recently I'd say.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Between the Top Gun 2 trailer and the Cats trailer I think it's finally clear we have the technology for a SWAT KATS live action movie.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Between the Top Gun 2 trailer and the Cats trailer I think it's finally clear we have the technology for a SWAT KATS live action movie.

THE RADICAL SQUADRON

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I just showes my fiance the CATS trailer on my phone and she tried to retreat from the phone.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

Take the Mansun approach:
    https://youtu.be/y10Jk58zFa0
    The lyrics aren't supposed to mean that much
    They're just a vehicle for a lovely voice
    They aren't supposed to mean that much

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Little Shop of Horrors is the gold standard of stage to film musicals.

I want this to be true but the movie fucks up the ending and I don't know if I can forgive that

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

You have to be from California to get it.

And on lots of drugs, probably

This discussion has been closed.