As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    Are you in a good Free company? Your free company should be helping you though these things. If you are in GHOST shout it out, we love that stuff. Just bear in mind you may need to shout it out more towards prime play time, when more people are on.

Unrelated note: I can't seem to luck out enough for healer pants to drop in Copied Factory.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Welp, done everything I can for Skybuilder, now I just have to hope I don't get shoved out of the top 12.

Did they do anything to mitigate the amount of bots that filled the lists last time?

No idea. I'm assuming not, I only heard about a single ban on Sarg. I'm just glad I finished at #10.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Are you in a good Free company? Your free company should be helping you though these things. If you are in GHOST shout it out, we love that stuff. Just bear in mind you may need to shout it out more towards prime play time, when more people are on.

Unrelated note: I can't seem to luck out enough for healer pants to drop in Copied Factory.

Nah, I left FC's years ago. I like the quiet. When I played (both time of day, and just gaps of inactivity) never seemed to align with anyone I knew, so it was just basically random people going on and on about anime and other stuff that didn't interest me. Nothing wrong with that; I just wasn't really feeling it, and like the solitude, despite it being an MMO. :lol: I hadn't been in GHOST since ARR I think, anyway; I left with some other people for an offshoot FC, but left that sometime during HW.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Unrelated; do the coins from the 24m raids in HW and SB not drop the coins anymore?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Unrelated; do the coins from the 24m raids in HW and SB not drop the coins anymore?

coins still drop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah there's still things you can buy with them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    That's what I thought, but I didn't get one from the monastery last night. Weird. Or maybe I did and thought it was trash and completely missed it? :rotate: Ah well.

I don't really need them for anything anyway, now that all the old stuff is augmented by default, and I'm not hanging onto any non-upgraded stuff. I guess I'll check if there's anything else other than those things I still need, and then just trash the rest. Inventory is getting crowded.

EDIT: Going through all my retainers and checking gear for any materia I can extract. This is taking a bit. :lol:

I think I may need to draw a line and dump all the 24m gear sets that aren't complete and I don't really want anyway, for glamour. And maybe go through and figure out which of these old primal weapons I can just craft replicas of, if I want for glamour, instead of filling up all my slots. Probably all I really should be hanging onto is artifact/anima/etc gear and "top end" sets from every expansion for leveling purposes (i.e. Ironworks, Shire, etc; though, it's getting unlikely that any future expansions will start you below 60 or 70; but I suppose you never know when a BLU like job will come along and start from scratch).

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    note that the crafted versions of primal weapons tend to have extra particle effects on them, not exactly the same as the drop versions.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    note that the crafted versions of primal weapons tend to have extra particle effects on them, not exactly the same as the drop versions.

That's ok, the more blinding the better! :lol:

Maaaaaaan I want a house in Ishgard. It is going to be a clusterfuck when they finally open this place up.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

That's ok, the more blinding the better! :lol:

Maaaaaaan I want a house in Ishgard. It is going to be a clusterfuck when they finally open this place up.

A glorious mess, yeah. For a preview, they're adding new wards on the existing zones soon too aren't they?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yeah, each one is getting a few more wards.

Like when they opened the SB area, it's a great time to get a house in one of the previous locations. I've got a fantastic house in Mist (small on the beach, on the corner with the marketboard and all the housing vendors), that would be hard to give up but I like the aesthetic of Ishgard a lot more.

Hopefully, if they open up as many wards as the others have, it'll be so many at once that botters can't camp every plot. :rotate:

Question about DoH/DoL: The 490 crafted gear for them, it should be the "best" crafted..crafting gear for the expansion, right? We will probably get one more round of upgrades and/or gear via scrips next patch, but otherwise, it should be safe to go all in on gems?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    they're adding more wards to all the existing zones next patch which should be soon, Ishgard housing seems like it's not coming until the very end of the expansion I think, maybe not until we finish the next reconstruction phase after the current one, which will be around the time of the next main story quest content patch so still a ways out. At the very least it's not coming in the next patch with the other housing zones.

Or well TECHNICALLY I don't think they've actually admitted there's going to be ishgard housing, but it seems pretty obvious from the way the firmament area is designed, looks exactly like a housing district.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I don't expect Ishgard as housing until the expansion is over. Maybe 5.5 or 5.55? EDIT: yeah, I know they haven't said officially it will be a new district, but man it would be dickiest of dick moves to not have it be after all this, the design/layout of the zone, how long people have been asking for it, etc. :lol:

Do you mean the next patch as in 5.35? I don't think 5.4 is gonna be for a few months still.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I hit the point in 5.3 where I need better item levels and man it's cool so far

BUT I have less than a million gil. Crafters are all at 80 as are gatherers (except fishing) so I need to figure out a solid way to start making some cash. Anyone have any hot tips they don't mind sharing? Gathering is relatively easy, I just pop around and grab the lucrative stuff. But getting good at crafting seems pretty fun if I can figure out how to make it lucrative. I'd love to get a house at some point but I dunno if I'll ever have the funds for that, even if a plot was available.

• Options
    I don't expect Ishgard as housing until the expansion is over. Maybe 5.5 or 5.55? EDIT: yeah, I know they haven't said officially it will be a new district, but man it would be dickiest of dick moves to not have it be after all this, the design/layout of the zone, how long people have been asking for it, etc. :lol:

Do you mean the next patch as in 5.35? I don't think 5.4 is gonna be for a few months still.

yes, the new housing districts in the existing areas are opening in 5.35, last I heard.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

BUT I have less than a million gil. Crafters are all at 80 as are gatherers (except fishing) so I need to figure out a solid way to start making some cash. Anyone have any hot tips they don't mind sharing? Gathering is relatively easy, I just pop around and grab the lucrative stuff. But getting good at crafting seems pretty fun if I can figure out how to make it lucrative. I'd love to get a house at some point but I dunno if I'll ever have the funds for that, even if a plot was available.

Look at how you spent your money when leveling a crafter to save time. See if any of those items have little competition and good returns for the cost to make on the market board.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    alternately make what people want at the cutting edge, be that top tier HQ food or HQ grade 2 tinctures or neo-ishgardian armor or whatever.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    SniperGuy wrote: »

It really depends on how much you want it.

You've got crafters and gatherers to 80 (FSH is its own ecosystem, though it does help with one path to money), so everything you make can be pure profit, if you're willing to invest the time. With the exception of a handful of items that come from tomes or desynth; pretty much everything you want to make can be gotten for free.

Before anything, if you aren't already using it, ffxivteamcraft.com is far and away the most valuable resource on the internet for crafting. You can set up timers for gathering too, but I find Garland Bell still more useful there. I haven't played with the new in-game sim for crafting, but you can do it on teamcraft, save your rotations, copy macros for the game, etc. You can fine tune recipes to know exactly what stats you need to HQ things, figure out if you need a food buff, or need a component to be HQ to cross the line, etc. It'll notify you if your rotation has things put in an obviously bad order (i.e. using innovation then not using a synth for several steps, etc) to really cut out any unnecessary CP usage to maximize everything.

Do you have high stats? go for the 5.3 stuff. It's still close enough to the patch for the DoH/DoL gear to be really profitable, but any components you buy are just going to put margins on your income. Get a list of items you need, if components are on timers for collection nodes, set an in-game alarm or use an app (I've got dual monitors so I've always got stuff open on monitor 2), whatever, so you're getting what you need. Fill up on Hi-Cordials (lower timer, more GP, it can make the difference between getting multiple nodes that overlap time, or missing one) with your Grand Company currency, and find or figure out a good rotation to get as many of whatever you're aiming for, with as much HQ as you can. EDIT: Neo-ishgardian is still good, particularly since it can be upgraded. However, consider looking into items for leve's as mentioned later, as you might be surprised how similar in prices these things can be, despite the leve stuff requiring substantially less stats.

Aim to HQ every craft with no HQ components. Only use the absolute minimum HQ components as necessary to 100% HQ your craft. Any more is unnecessary, and HQ components usually cost substantially more than the NQ ones; and most of the time you can make up the difference with a cleaner macro, and pocket the difference. It's frequently harder to HQ components, if you're crafting your own, than the end item itself, so don't stress over whether or not the components you're crafting are HQ. If you can swing it, great, but in some cases I've found that I'm better off selling the HQ components and just crafting more of what I need of NQ, even if I have to marketboard the base components, as the price of the base components is usually less than the difference in price between the NQ and HQ result, so I'm still making money.

If you want to automate as much as possible, basically ignore the varying status (poor, normal, good, excellent) as you can't macro for those reliably. However, if you're on the low end of stats for what you're making, they can make the difference between a NQ and HQ result, but you have to do it manually.

If you want to deal in volume, you can just craft components and/or food. You can't just rely on one or two things here though (EDIT: You need to pick a bunch of different items to sell; sometimes one thing will sell well, sometimes it won't. Having flexibility here is key, and you can't have that if you've got everything invested in one or two items), if you're going this route you want to watch the marketboard for a few days (or a whole week, how much things sell on a weekend can be different than weekdays), see what things are selling frequently, particularly one that seem to have fewer of them on the board, but still sell a lot. Then judge if the craft is too annoying, or if timers for nodes conflict, or whatever. It is very important if you do this to not flood any given items market. There is no quicker way to drive down somethings price than to post 20 of them instead of 5 (EDIT: stacks, not total items, don't post 20 different stacks of one item). If others see a ton at once price they're going to assume theirs won't ever sell so they'll lower the price and it'll just go down and down. Don't bother trying to deal with undercutters, you're more likely to drive down the price, than to help yourself. They'll dump their stuff, and you'll still have yours for sale when people need them. However, if you notice a fast moving item hasn't sold in a day or two, you might need to either lower your price, or bank it until the weekend/weekday. Also, you basically have to have extra Retainers to go this route, the cost of these things can add up, but they're low enough, that those 40 slots fill up fast. Plus, making these items isn't notably easier than making the big ticket items, so it's just a choice. EDIT: To be clear, if you're going volume, you have to be playing a lot. Much of it moves fast, and you need to move with it. If you'd much rather make a big thing and throw it up and are ok having it take a couple days to sell, this probably isn't the way to go.

Don't have high stats (or even if you do)? Find a list of crafting leve's and make that stuff. Always HQ them. Always. You can do them with lower stats (sometimes much lower) and a lot of them still sell for a ton of gil. Sometimes, for the difficulty in getting components, or the stats required, I'd argue substantially more profit than the high end crafts, and they don't require you to spend 10mil gil in overmelding. :rotate: Focus on the leve's that allow 3 turnins per leve as those are the most prized, since you can get more xp/leve and people using them will want them. However, there's usually one leve per tier that is more XP than the others, that is good too. If the item the leve wants can also be bought from a vendor (NQ), you have to weigh hoping people want that extra XP more than they want their gil. This method is better at the start or end of an expansion, as people are leveling up and/or catching up, but it can be good at all times too.

What to avoid: selling base materials. I don't mean components, I mean like the base item you get from a node. Other than the newest patches material, the raw materials are almost always dramatically less than even the next step component. And even the newest stuff, if it's not HQ, it is basically worthless, and the window even HQ's are worth a lot, is relatively small (and still have the base requirement of very high stats, which cost a lot in investment to acquire). However, this can leave you an opening to save yourself time, particularly if you can make your crafts without the need of HQ components, as you can frequently find stuff for virtually nothing at NQ, and you don't have to spend the time getting it yourself. As I said before, don't flood the market, on anything. Even the armor/weapon crafts, if people see a ton of any one item, they're going to undercut to sell theirs, or if they're buying, they might wait, knowing prices are going to go down. You can be better off keeping something in your bag and selling it later, if there are already too many on the board, and you've already crafted it. Don't assume! Always check prices before you buy/sell. Always re-check if you are selling something you often sell, but don't look at it in the marketboard very often. Sometimes there are too many, sometimes there are none, and you can raise your price. However! Don't just jack up your price an insane amount if you've got the item to yourself. There's a limit to what people will pay, and if some other crafter sees you selling that typically 100k item at 200k, it's going to give them an in to sell it for 150k, making more than they would have, and you getting nothing. Don't meld gear before you sell it. People typically don't want pre-melded gear, particularly if you've only melded the non-advanced slots anyway, and overmelding yourself is absolutely not worth it, for something to sell.

If you're selling something that stacks and want them to move, don't sell them individually. Sell items in stacks that correspond to its need. What I mean by that is, if you look at your crafts and <item> always needs 3 in most every instance you use it, sell it in multiples of 3. Pick your poison here, you can go 3, 9, 30; just keep in mind that the more you sell the slower it will move, unless it is something that people need a ton of. Food, sell in 5 or 10 stacks. Regardless, generally, the larger the stack, the lower your individual price needs to be. Conversely, if you're selling individual items, you can raise your price. All the time I just need 2 items, and the board has stacks of 99. I will routinely buy a much higher priced item, because it is how many I need, than more at a much lower price. I don't want to deal with offloading a whole stack when I only need a couple, and chances are, because it's an off number stack (97 vs 99) I'll have to lower the price even more, because people are weird (all or nothing baby! :lol: ). Just do it within reason.

I'm sure I could think of more stuff, but that's probably enough for now. Hope it helps! Just remember, you're not going to go from 1m to 30m in a day, or a week, or maybe even a month (unless you're just going in hardcore). As long as that number is going up, you're good.

EDIT2: I forgot one other thing; You'll be checking the marketboard a lot doing all of this. Always keep an eye out for people dumping stuff. All the time I will catch someone selling something for 200 each, when they typically go for 1000. Buy it and resell it (or use it). Don't let those things slide. As long as you have a bit of a buffer in your wallet, that is basically free money. EDIT: in stacks. don't go buying up individual items at 200g and sell for 1000g thinking you're going to be making a lot of money. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I hate the fact that I'm going to have to literally schedule my life around the 5.35 launch date to increase the chances I can actually get a house this time.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options

also yeah the limited availability of the housing system sucks

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Is there a place that says if an armor set shares a model with another armor set?

For example, I'm looking at the Facet set, and I swear I've seen those designs before. I thought it was from a 24m, but I just looked through them on XIV Style, and I don't see them. I figure somewhere has to have some basic link if armor is reused?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Is there a place that says if an armor set shares a model with another armor set?

For example, I'm looking at the Facet set, and I swear I've seen those designs before. I thought it was from a 24m, but I just looked through them on XIV Style, and I don't see them. I figure somewhere has to have some basic link if armor is reused?

https://www.garlandtools.org/ is where you can check if armor has any shared models.

I use it pretty often myself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020

https://www.garlandtools.org/ is where you can check if armor has any shared models.

I use it pretty often myself.

Thank you! I wasn't crazy, it was a 24m set; I just missed it. Diabolic. The caster one anyway. Apparently the Fending is Yafaemi, them pulling from different raids is probably what mixed me up.

So now I can go through and figure out what 24m sets have been made into crafted sets (I know the colors won't be the same, but the crafted ones are dyable) and can not worry about holding onto those sets from those old raids anymore.

Just trying to prune down the damn retainer inventories :lol:

EDIT: I get to make a spreadsheet though! Games are always better with spreadsheets! (I'm not joking)

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm super annoyed by them pulling sets from different raids for that crafted set, because they skipped the yafaemi healer/caster sets I really like and would love a dyeable version of.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hmm...I think my authenticator I've had since way back in FFXI days is on its last legs. I have to push the button several times to get a code.

Does anyone have any experience changing your SE account authenticator? Is it a pain? I wonder if it's better to just go with the software authenticator, or if the physical one is more secure.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm...I think my authenticator I've had since way back in FFXI days is on its last legs. I have to push the button several times to get a code.

Does anyone have any experience changing your SE account authenticator? Is it a pain? I wonder if it's better to just go with the software authenticator, or if the physical one is more secure.

I think it's pretty easy, but make sure you get an emergency code out of your account before your authenticator dies or it'll get much harder.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I think it's pretty easy, but make sure you get an emergency code out of your account before your authenticator dies or it'll get much harder.

I think the serial number on the back of the authenticator may also be of use if it dies on you.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

If you have the serial number it's easy to remove the authenticator.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Hmmm...decided to get the skysteel crafting tools. Both tiers are trivial to just macro. EDIT: And I'm using gear I got before these tools were implemented.

I know the gathering ones are godawful (I still haven't completed them. it's just mind numbingly boring) and their own problem; but I don't quite understand the purpose of making the crafts require so many, but it's not like they get any harder, so it's just pushing a macro, waiting, repeat.

They could have just jacked up the scrip cost for the base materials, and made them require 5/10 or something, and functionally nothing would have changed, except less time wasted.

I dunno. I wish I could do this in the app or something, so at least I could free up myself to do something else for the next several hours while I push two buttons mindlessly. I could just watch a show on netflix, but I need to mow the yard, and I'm pretty sure I could hold my phone in my hand and push Synthesize > Macro while I did it. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Getting more into crafting and whoops spent all my money on gear and I still can't craft what I wanted to craft since it isn't high enough craftmanship. Gotta buy more gear!

Also I wish I could put the timers for what nodes are up for gathering in the game somewhere. Having to use a separate browser window for that is annoying.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There are in game timers that you can set to node times.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Do the Heavensward classes ever get a proper attire? I was all excited when I was given a coffer for the level 50 job quest, but it was just random gear.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Do the Heavensward classes ever get a proper attire? I was all excited when I was given a coffer for the level 50 job quest, but it was just random gear.

They do at 60. New jobs get their first official class set at the level cap of the expansion theyre introduced.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

For the combat jobs there are sidequests in the level 40-50 range where you get pieces of the outfit that is the 'iconic' look for the job(usually what is worn by whoever is teaching you the job in the first place). For the crafters/gathers the level 50 weaver/leatherworker starred recipes have the various class specific equipment that is whatever the masters are wearing.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I hit 50 on my PLD last night (first ever char). Now what?

**checks notes**
    Ok so I have to get wine for a guy before he'll fight Titan.

Man this story is great........

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The Compant of Heroes are A+ trolls and I legitimately love it.

This discussion has been closed.