As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I would definitely take the initial WotLK levelling experience over the ARR experience, but I would still say the relative quality differences here depend a lot on what you're looking for. I mostly have been wanting a fun MMO to level in, not an online single player RPG. Someone wanting the former may not be in the mood for lots of cutscenes, even if they're good(or middling to bad early on).

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So I found a crystal and it talked to me.

People don't have any memories and this crystal is trying to tell me what to do.

I think this crystal is up to no good

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SHENANIGANS!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My biggest issues with the FFXIV quest structure is that it slows down my gameplay and locks me into extended play sessions where I'm not advancing my character at all. That's the issue with the denouements, they are a stasis for me as a player when there is literal content I'd rather be doing and the game is all Tree Bearding me "Don't be hasty."

I feel there should be a middle ground between Wows themepark "fuck it just level" and FF XIV "NO YOU MUST SEE MY GRAND WORKS EVERY LAST ONE!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    So I found a crystal and it talked to me.

People don't have any memories and this crystal is trying to tell me what to do.

I think this crystal is up to no good

You talking to crystals now? Damn hippies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    My biggest issues with the FFXIV quest structure is that it slows down my gameplay and locks me into extended play sessions where I'm not advancing my character at all. That's the issue with the denouements, they are a stasis for me as a player when there is literal content I'd rather be doing and the game is all Tree Bearding me "Don't be hasty."

I feel there should be a middle ground between Wows themepark "fuck it just level" and FF XIV "NO YOU MUST SEE MY GRAND WORKS EVERY LAST ONE!"

TOR can hit this sweetspot sometimes but has its own pitfalls

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

TOR can hit this sweetspot sometimes but has its own pitfalls

SW ToR? Yeah they do a pretty good job of letting you skip content should you want to.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Interesting feeling - while getting back into the game this weekend and after leveling Gladiator past 20, I found myself pursuing, accepting and completing low-level world quests (1-5) just to interact with characters, explore, and feel like I was contributing to the world. I wasted ("wasted") hours for no real experience benefit.

Really should get back to the main campaign and put some effort into leveling up so that I can make some progress towards post-ARR stuff. But this world is fun and I'm enjoying reading all of the fun and clever writing and expanding my fast travel network.

And leveling crafting. Got most of my crafting classes up past 15, which was a satisfying way to spend some hours.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Interesting feeling - while getting back into the game this weekend and after leveling Gladiator past 20, I found myself pursuing, accepting and completing low-level world quests (1-5) just to interact with characters, explore, and feel like I was contributing to the world. I wasted ("wasted") hours for no real experience benefit.

Really should get back to the main campaign and put some effort into leveling up so that I can make some progress towards post-ARR stuff. But this world is fun and I'm enjoying reading all of the fun and clever writing and expanding my fast travel network.

And leveling crafting. Got most of my crafting classes up past 15, which was a satisfying way to spend some hours.

The writing of the sidequests is more often than not quite superb. It was something that really stood out for me when i first started.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

The writing of the sidequests is more often than not quite superb. It was something that really stood out for me when i first started.

The postmoogle chain is a really good set that shows you that there are many stories in Eorzea - and that not all of them have happy endings.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

The postmoogle chain is a really good set that shows you that there are many stories in Eorzea - and that not all of them have happy endings.

Also gives you a cap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular

I wish they had kept the postmoogle quests going into the expansions.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    heavensward has a spiritual successor to it but it's not literally the postmoogles again, stormblood sadly has nothing like it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I’ve been ignoring side quests altogether and focusing entirely on the MSQ. Get the feeling sometimes that I’m missing out on some good stuff.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I always enjoy going back and knocking out the sidequests while queuing for daily dungeons on my DPS classes. Decent xp/hr and they are a good excuse to see the sidequests. Some are of the 5 bear asses type, but quite a few add some small bits of worldbuilding and characterization, especially later on in the expansions.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I’ve been ignoring side quests altogether and focusing entirely on the MSQ. Get the feeling sometimes that I’m missing out on some good stuff.

The longest running chain is Hildebrand, which spans ARR, HW, and SB and stars Gentleman Inspector Hildebrand and his helpful assistant.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    It technically also spanned 1.0, but that content is no longer accessible.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    There are some 1.0 Hildibrand cutscenes on Youtube, but I'm not entirely sure if these are all of them.

• Options
    If anybody wants to generate a recruiter code, I would use it. First come first serve folks

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If anybody wants to generate a recruiter code, I would use it. First come first serve folks

Sure why not. AYSZA9VK

• Options
    Thanks. Cruising right along.

These Scions though, they sure need a crystal outside of this here base. Having to run back here everytime is getting real old

• Options
    I know, right? The fastest way to reach the base is actually probably to teleport to Limsa, take the aethernet to the arcanist's guild and talk to the ferry NPC next to it to teleport over to the port town it's in rather than teleporting to the nearest aetheryte in western thanalan.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm honestly betting that's something that happens with the ARR revamp whenever the patch drops. Along with some cheeky text about Ul'dah FINALLY getting off its ass and installing an aetheryte.

Javen on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm honestly betting that's something that happens with the ARR revamp whenever the patch drops. Along with some cheeky text about Ul'dah FINALLY getting off its ass and installing an aetheryte.

Yeah, the inconvenience of not having an aetheryte there is in fact commented on by the scions right now...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular

These Scions though, they sure need a crystal outside of this here base. Having to run back here everytime is getting real old

Warping to Limsa Lominsa, taking the aetheryte to the arcanists' guild, and hopping on the ferry to vesper bay saves a bit of time in some quest legs, but yeah, this is my biggest gripe with the game so far

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Or just install the aetheryte right in Minfilia's office so we don't have to click on one door to get into the Waking Sands and then on yet another door to get inside there.

• Options
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Or just install the aetheryte right in Minfilia's office so we don't have to click on one door to get into the Waking Sands and then on yet another door to get inside there.

Just let me turn in quests via linkpearl.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No spoilers, but the fix is already in. Just keep going.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, the inconvenience of not having an aetheryte there is in fact commented on by the scions right now...

I still love that the in-game story behind there not being a aetheryte there is incredibly petty and spiteful.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

There are actual in-game reasons for this.
    And the eventual new HQ has an aetheryte right out the front door.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

The actual in-game reasons only come up in the patch content, and are very obviously a post-hoc justification to all the complaints about there not being an aetheryte there.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

The actual in-game reasons only come up in the patch content, and are very obviously a post-hoc justification to all the complaints about there not being an aetheryte there.

Given that it's well known that the dev team has the game plotted out two expansions ahead (the devs were already working on Heavensward when ARR was released, for example) arguing that the details coming up in patch content (which is plotted out as part of the storyline for an expansion) doesn't really work as an argument that it's a retroactive correction. Also, look at who the statue in place of the aetheryte is of - the lack of an aetheryte in Vesper Bay was planned.

• Options
    I think the offhand in-story justification is a clever little wink and acknowledgement that it was an irritating design decision that they learned not to do.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    I don't see what the issue is. Every time you go back and forth between HQ and some random person who sends you right back you are putting your hard earned gil back into the economy.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I like the sky changing when you do stuff in SB
    But also everything being a fucking horror show while also bright and cheerful is jarring
    I had to look up the thing about meol because I was like if this is what I think it is I'm going to lose my shit
    Oh christ it is.
    aghhhhhhhh

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    The bright sky was one thing, but the annoying sound effect (faint high pitched tones) got under my skin.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    also msq dungeons with npcs is great so i dont have to swap classes to get a quick group

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options

NA Fanfest in November is canceled and JP and EU Fanfests in December and February are in "wait and see" territory, 5.3 patch delayed into late July or August, they're nearly fully set up for work-from-home now other than QA which should be up to speed by mid-June.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Bought Shadowbringers last night after hitting level 30 (on sale for $24 right now). Loving this. So pumped to play a bunch this weekend.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    How wise/unwise is it to only level mining and only the most relevant crafters, like maybe blacksmithing/goldsmithing? The cross class skills aren't the problem anymore, but there sure are a lot of materials that aren't just from mining involved, but I'm not sure the relative percentage, or cost that will be involved from buying the rest off the marketplace.

This discussion has been closed.