As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Dunno, Marines could at least lose Chappy Dreads, since absolutely everybody agrees that they are bullshit.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Dunno, Marines could at least lose Chappy Dreads, since absolutely everybody agrees that they are bullshit.

Funny enough that's easy.

Just put them on the legends list because they are FW.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Funny enough that's easy.

Just put them on the legends list because they are FW.

They are forgeworld AND out of print. I think the being out of print is the main thing here.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hey 40k duders. Got a history question.

I found these three minis floating around in my collection yesterday, and I can't ID them to save my life. Anybody got any ideas?

They look Chaos-y and Marine- or Demon-y to me, but I can't find them anywhere on record.

hIVSkZch.jpg

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Right one is Epic Magnus? The left two are chaos marines.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    McGibs wrote: »
    Right one is Epic Magnus? The left two are chaos marines.

img4f3b7185c2f35.jpg

Yep.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Magnus the uhhh, Not Quite Red.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I was trying to make a Chaos warrior army for Warhammer I wanted the man o war demons to use as a standard top
    My brother though had a bretonnian army he somehow got the Pegasus knight from it and did that. I did ask if it was the Warmaster one which he said it was too fancy to chop up to do that. While he pulled out that mini
    I don't know if he still has that army as he really lost total interest in Gw's games for various reasons the last I talked to him {9 years ago}

• Options
    Does anyone have one of the grav chutes for primaris revivers they are willing to part with?
    I know someone said they don't like the look of them or because they snap off easily

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Does anyone have one of the grav chutes for primaris revivers they are willing to part with?
    I know someone said they don't like the look of them or because they snap off easily

They DO come off fairly easily. It's kinda a pain in the ass.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    it is 23 minutes past midnight on the east coast.... now where are my Tau rules?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The most exciting part of the this psychic awakening book is the stuff militarum tempestus is getting I think.

They get some really useful doctrines among the other stuff.

+6 range for rapid fire weapons

Ignore heavy weapons when moving and +1 to hit when disembarking

Exploding 6s when within half range

Exploding 6 for infantry when targeting the closest unit

Count shooting wounds as double for morale

Also that 2 shot pistol that automatically does mortal wounds on hits.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Yesssss the T'au stuff is great in the new book.

It makes the normal builds better, but importantly, makes Farsight Enclaves super viable as an alternate playstyle.

Veteran Crisis suits with a bs3! Six commanders! The ability to deny! Yes give it all to me.

Also, you might see ion riptides now with the relic cannon. Six shots Str 9, ap -4, 3+d3 damage. Hell yeah.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

It makes the normal builds better, but importantly, makes Farsight Enclaves super viable as an alternate playstyle.

Veteran Crisis suits with a bs3! Six commanders! The ability to deny! Yes give it all to me.

Also, you might see ion riptides now with the relic cannon. Six shots Str 9, ap -4, 3+d3 damage. Hell yeah.

My paladins feel very attacked right now.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    These last few months have been kinda ridiculous for me in terms of GW news. I play Sisters of Battle, Grey Knights, Tau (Farsight Enclaves) and have a small Stormtrooper detachment I used to ally in with the Sisters or GK before monofaction rules.

Since December there have been new rules for Sisters of Battle, Grey Knights, Tau (particularly Farsight Enclaves) and Guard (particularly stormtroopers!)

I need to get cracking on adding these fancy new Sisters models to my existing metal models, and it doesn't help having to ponder how I want to play my Crisis Suit unit or whether I should even bother and just run 6 Commanders!

• Options
    I know of the oddly evolving rumor that's been the 9th edition box set has gone from Sisters of battle vs necrons to Black Templars Vs Orks to now Space Wolves vs Orks. But what has cropped up is the Engine War one as it's rumored to have two of the knights and a bunch of demons. because I have thought of why? and that's going to be another $250+ box . Other than the Adeptus Titanicus titans I am meh about Titans as I view them as an investment I would rarely use

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Where are you hearing rumours of a box set for Engine War?

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

My paladins feel very attacked right now.

Everything feels very attacked right now. That's doing on average 17 damage to T8 before invulns presuming you have a way to give it rerolls to hit, and it means you get to just constantly use your nova reactor to give the Riptide a 3++. It's very nearly a must-take.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Where are you hearing rumours of a box set for Engine War?

A discussion in wow classic , facebook and. People on reddit where the wow conversation points to

• Options
    The 3+d3 damage is with Nova Reactor, without it's the same as an normal overcharged ion accelerator (Heavy 6 shots but "only" d6 damage).

Honestly I'm more concerned, in terms of alpha strike bullshit escalation, in what Guard got. The best rules seem to be for Leman Russes and Artillery, and those were already top performers. Guard indrect fire in particular is pretty degenerate gameplay with essentially infinite range, ignore LoS, no interaction, no maneuver just roll dice and kill enemy models... and they got a bunch of buffs here.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure 9th edition will be a re-tooling of 8th edition, but I'd really like for them to adopt some things from Apocalypse. Consecutive actions and shooting, along with not assigning damage/ removing models till the end of a turn definitely let's you get your funsies in with your big stompy units. I'm still a little disappointed that GW teased us with that short-story featuring the Tau and the Deathguard, I thought I'd have my rules for them by now. :(

• Options
    With the ammount of dice in 40k, I'm not sure how they'd do damage-at-the-end-of-the turn mechanic. It works in apoc because each unit only rolls a dice or two to attack with, and only a couple d12/d6 of damage is ever assigned to any given unit. The same system with 40k, youd have to keep Track of each hit on a unit, and what weapon did that hit (damage, AP), which is ludicrous. You could simplify it and make saves as normal, but then inflict damage at the end of the turn, but then you'd get a case of "ghost" units. Units that are GOING to die, but not until the end of the turn, so the controlling player can do stuff they might not normally, like overcharge a unit of plasma because it doesnt matter.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    wouldn't be that hard to bookkeep.
    Just lay dead units on their side until you remove them.
    then if you are going second you can still attack with those units and remove them for reals at the end of the round.
    I would prefer random plasma overcharges over entire units getting deleted before even getting to move.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I spend a lot of time modeling and painting my dudes, I wouldn't want to be laying them flat all tye time and risk damaging bits or screwing up tue paintjob.

Same issue I had with Shadow War.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    With the ammount of dice in 40k, I'm not sure how they'd do damage-at-the-end-of-the turn mechanic. It works in apoc because each unit only rolls a dice or two to attack with, and only a couple d12/d6 of damage is ever assigned to any given unit. The same system with 40k, youd have to keep Track of each hit on a unit, and what weapon did that hit (damage, AP), which is ludicrous. You could simplify it and make saves as normal, but then inflict damage at the end of the turn, but then you'd get a case of "ghost" units. Units that are GOING to die, but not until the end of the turn, so the controlling player can do stuff they might not normally, like overcharge a unit of plasma because it doesnt matter.

I mean, that actually sounds kind of cool and fluffy.

A mortally wounded hellblasters being all "For the Emperor!" and swinging for the fences knowing he's toast anyway?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    You might say they were a bit t’ardy.
    I spend a lot of time modeling and painting my dudes, I wouldn't want to be laying them flat all tye time and risk damaging bits or screwing up tue paintjob.

Same issue I had with Shadow War.

Rest assured that GW will be happy to sell you bespoke cardboard punched tokens at very competitive prices.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Khraul wrote: »

I mean, that actually sounds kind of cool and fluffy.

A mortally wounded hellblasters being all "For the Emperor!" and swinging for the fences knowing he's toast anyway?
    Right, I'm just saying it's not that great a translation of the apocalypse system. It's for sure better than current alphastrike 40k because you get to use your toys before they evaporate, but it's not nearly as interesting as the apoc mechanics. The idea isn't exactly "this unit is mortally wounded, but can still shoot before he dies", the idea is "these units are all shooting in the same space of time, not in an abstract turn sequence".
    But it's not really a simultaneous shooting mechanic if the players know how effective their shooting is when they do it, and it impacts decisions in the next phase/activation.

Apocalypse: Roll hit, roll wound, then wounded target get's assigned a damage dice (d6 or d12). At the end of the turn, you pick up all of a unit's damage dice and roll them to pass saves. The interesting thing with this is you don't KNOW that a unit will be killed until after its saves are rolled. So if you're shooting say, a rhino full of berserkers, and you hit and wound with 4 lascannon shots, you don't know if it will actually die because it might end up passing 2 or 3 of it's damage saves. So you need to dedicate more shots into it just to be sure, or not and live with the risk that it might still be alive next turn.
    Conversely, if you're trying to deliver a truckfull of berserkers in a rhino and it gets shot with 4 lascannon hits, you don't know if it's actually dead. Do you bail the guys out now, or keep them inside and hope their ride survives?
    If you KNOW that rhino is going to die, the choice is already made, which robs the system of a bit of the cool surprises.
    Again, it'd still be a better system, but unless you're rolling saves at the end of the turn, it's not nearly as elegant as the apoc one.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's kinda ridiculous that every system set in the 40k universe has some form of I go you go except the main system. Come on gw!

• Options
    I get it- it's asking for another massive redesign and rebalancing of the rules. I think the broad consensus is that GW has to find a way to neautralize both the effectiveness and negative play experiences that stem from the alpha strike.

Nobody likes seeing a third of their army get blown away before you've gotten to lay a hand on them.

• Options
    You don't even need to do a massive change of the game's core rules.

Shooting is the problem.

Just nerf the shit out of ranged weapons, sometimes people will say to add a "night fighting" rule back to turn one but you can go further and just straight up removed the shooting phase from turn 1. Call the first turn "the maneuver turn" and have it just be about moving out of your deployment zone and dancing with any of the units that can make it across the board for turn 1 charges - which is enormously less of a negative experience because you can control what gets charged.

I hear there used to be rules that you could only shoot the closest enemy model, they could bring that back. In general shorten the ranges of long range guns so models need to at least move to get into range. And of course the cover rules could be stronger, the ones from last year's Chapter Approved's "Cities of Death" where cover gave -1 or -2 to hit would be much better than +1 armor.

• Options
    Removing the shooting phase is feel bad way to nerf some armies for others aren't insane. Night fighting is a good start. The cover being better is another though some armies just ignore it. Maybe bring in kt rules where you get negative shooting over half range.

I think maybe a better thing is tone down damage it increase armor. The issue with marines is AP is the most efficient way to increased damage and they get a lot of it for existing.

Also it never happens but maybe points need to be rebalanced to reduce the number of units on the board. Not sure on that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Removing the shooting phase is feel bad way to nerf some armies for others aren't insane. Night fighting is a good start. The cover being better is another though some armies just ignore it. Maybe bring in kt rules where you get negative shooting over half range.

I think maybe a better thing is tone down damage it increase armor. The issue with marines is AP is the most efficient way to increased damage and they get a lot of it for existing.

Also it never happens but maybe points need to be rebalanced to reduce the number of units on the board. Not sure on that.

Could just go back to playing at 1500 pts.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How important are pathfinders and fireblades? Since farsight enclave can run two commanders I want to try running two coldstar commanders in the list I've been planning.

This is the list I'm looking at running.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: Farsight Enclaves

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight
    . 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: 4x Fusion blaster

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: 4x Fusion blaster

+ Troops +

Strike Team
    . 6x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
    . 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Strike Team
    . 7x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
    . 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Strike Team
    . 7x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
    . 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits
    . Broadside Shas'ui: 2x Smart missile system, Heavy rail rifle
    . 6x MV4 Shield Drone

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment -3CP (The Eight) (T'au Empire) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: Farsight Enclaves

+ Lord of War +

The Eight: Broadside Shas'vre Ob'lotai 9-0, Commander Bravestorm, Commander Brightsword, Commander Farsight, O'Vesa, Shas'o Arra'kon, Shas'o Sha'vastos, Sub-commander Torchstar

++ Total: [113 PL, 2,004pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I mean you are 4 points over so you might have to change something. Not sure what you would want to drop. They 8 are cool but not crazy competitive I think. I love them as an idea though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I mean you are 4 points over so you might have to change something. Not sure what you would want to drop. They 8 are cool but not crazy competitive I think. I love them as an idea though.

Yea, I'm trying to figure out how to drop those 4 points.

I'm not super worried as far as competitive. I'm mostly just making something to goof off with when playing with my friends. I don't want to get face rolled though so I'm not sure how important markerlights are at this point.

I also just really like mech based stuff for the Tau so being able to run two commanders is pretty awesome. I will eventually branch out into more Tau stuff, eventually not running the eight and adding some more stealthy stuff with ghostkeels, stealthsuits, and shadowsun but for now I'm keeping it really minimal.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Well with their great ballistic skill, the more Commanders you run, the fewer markerlights you need. For my future FSE lists I'm asically thinking 3 Cadre Fireblades + 3 Firesight Marksmen and that's it, reliably get one target to 5 for my Riptide and either my Crisis Suits can handle themselves at innate BS3+ plus multiple strategems to get to 2+ or I break them up into 3 more Crisis Suit Commanders, the Firesight trait gained a "have a free markerlight within 12 inches" ability too, so if they just move up amidst my Stealth Suits and Fire Warriors they need zero support, hitting on 2s rerolling 1s.

• Options
    So my roommate has a bunch of the old Broadsides, with the 2 rail rifles kn their backs. Are their rules for running them like that, or should we just use the 3 extra rifle bits to convert 3 more Broadsides?

• Options
    My assumption has always been that if you've got an old model with wargear that isn't reflected in the current rules, you can run it as whatever you'd like.

I hope that assumption's correct because it comes up a lot for my army...

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    With some recent horse trading and swapping I picked up a moderately sized primaris space wolves force from a buddy and played it against his GK last night. He was super stoked to play the new GK rules and I felt kinda bad when I demolished him by turn 4. That said, he played a pretty infantry heavy list to try out a bunch of the new strats/psychic powers/etc. He's also stuck in the mindset of deep striking as much as possible which meant I really only had to play against half his army at a time. GK definitely has some cool new tools and abilities, but I think you really need to build a super competitive list with them to stand a chance.

We played using a maelstrom cards system from goonhammer that I really, really enjoyed.

Basically:
    1. draft 18 of your 36 maelstrom cards to use as your deck for the match
    2. shuffle, draw 5
    3. discard up to four of those five cards, but you have to discard to the bottom of the deck
    4. "activate" three of your five card hand, these are the only cards you can score in your turn but you have to score them if possible. (No hanging onto them to get D3/D6 vp of a better outcome)
    5. Your two remaining cards are secret. Each turn you score cards you draw back up to five and can activate your hidden cards or your new draws, but you can only have three active cards at a time.

It was actually a lot of fun and let both of us steer our own objectives while still having a bit of RNG on what cards we end up with. We both had to make some solid decisions on what and when we could score active cards.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    We played using a maelstrom cards system from goonhammer that I really, really enjoyed.

That's actually the official version of Maelstrom right now, it was updated in the most recent Chapter Approved. It's a damn good system.