As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    EErio9EW4AYLa6m?format=png&name=small

Looks like it could get pretty strong, especially with a few on the board

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Solid staple for gw proliferate

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Isn't that Pride Rock?

the castle cycle spoiled today are all based on seats of power

the black one is a star destroyer

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hmm i thought it was pretty clearly like a lamp because you use it to get stuff you wanted?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    actually you use it to get a random card off the top of your deck, not a tutor B)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'm looking at the red one and having a real tough time even telling what it is.

j04noqq2g5n31.jpg

That building looks pretty small for a castle unless the perspective is way off. And I guess they have a bonfire out front?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    The red one is definitely extremely hard to read with the colour scheme they used at that card size. Gonna need the full art for that one.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yilias wrote: »
    I'm looking at the red one and having a real tough time even telling what it is.

j04noqq2g5n31.jpg

That building looks pretty small for a castle unless the perspective is way off. And I guess they have a bonfire out front?

I think that might be the Tournament Grounds?

cd438d51-a778-4b38-8b4b-a6a9cd9b4b22.jpg

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I got invited to the early access streamer event by wizards again so I'll be doing a bunch of that tuesday night next week, so @ me with decks you wanna see get tried out! I'm definitely going to see what sort of control deck with that giant sweeper I can put together because that looks like a blast.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I got invited to the early access streamer event by wizards again so I'll be doing a bunch of that tuesday night next week, so @ me with decks you wanna see get tried out! I'm definitely going to see what sort of control deck with that giant sweeper I can put together because that looks like a blast.

T1 Wishing Well
    T2 Lucky Clover
    T3 double animate with fairy adventures

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Lovestruck Beast with Fblthp, the Lost.

Not because it's a combo, but just because I enjoy the mental image of Beast madly in love with Fblthp.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Maybe a real answer? I dunno, this might be bad:

WB Aristocrats with Ayara First of Lochwain, Syr Konrad the Grim, Cruel Celebrant, Rally for the Throne, Castle Ardenvale

Maybe with a silly Witch's Oven + Cauldron's Familiar combo

Harmonious Archon to turn your tokens into 3/3s

Maybe a knight sub-theme with Worthy Knight and Oakhame Ranger?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Ayara First of Lochwain could also be interesting with flicker effects

Charming Prince, Justiciar's Portal

If you want to abuse the Giant sweeper, you can use those to preserve your own creatures, or you can do shenanigans with Indestructible, like Gideon Blackblade, Resolute Watchdog, Sheltering Light

T5: Syr Konrad
    T6: Sheltering Light targeting Syr Konrad, then Realm-Cloaked Giant's adventure (Cast Off), then attack with Syr
    T7: Cast the creature side of Realm-Cloaked Giant

seems okay

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I started playing a Gates deck and oh my, fun.

Gates Ablaze gets outrageous if you get some good early ramp.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Echo wrote: »
    I started playing a Gates deck and oh my, fun.

Gates Ablaze gets outrageous if you get some good early ramp.

Get glaive on the board

Play Lazotep Plating at the end of their turn

throw the glaive on your army token.

Gates decks are ludicrously fun.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    They're so varied too! Gates just provide the engine, then you can go in several directions. This one has Gatebreaker Ram/Gate Colossus for face damage and Archway Angel for a fuckton of health gain.

Field of the Dead is just icing on the cake.

Echo on
  • Options
    Slipped a single Glaive in just for fun.

ycd47sj6n2mh.png

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Played a stodgy BW(U) deck that exiled all the opponent's stuff and then won with Kaya, Usurper because I have two of them randomly.
    Needs more BW cards in it and drop the remaining Ego, Thef U multicolours, and the locket mana sources, but it got me through Bronze because everyone sucks (me inclusive).

Or rather it ran straight into the wall that is Silver, and stopped winning, so I switched back to my modified Chandra.dek from the giveaway, and I'm almost at gold.

I still have no time to play though :/

discrider on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Man, nothing makes me lose interest in Magic faster than firing up Arena and playing some unranked games.

I wonder how Arena is supposed to draw in new players if people with small collections (and few skills) just get routinely crushed by highly tuned decks.

• Options
    Doesn't unranked do some weighted matching based on rarity levels in the deck?

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Doesn't really help if you're looking for easier opponents. Unranked is where all the top tier players test out a new deck before hitting ranked.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Doesn't really help if you're looking for easier opponents. Unranked is where all the top tier players test out a new deck before hitting ranked.

Oh good.

So where am I supposed to play? I'm guessing Draft. At least there everybody's running various flavours of jank.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

Oh good.

So where am I supposed to play? I'm guessing Draft. At least there everybody's running various flavours of jank.

You could just play ranked.

Ideally the matchmaking algorithm will relatively quickly get you to where you belong in the skill rankings and then you'll have good games from there. Ideally, anyway.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

Oh good.

Ideally the matchmaking algorithm will relatively quickly get you to where you belong in the skill rankings and then you'll have good games from there. Ideally, anyway.

"Ranked" sounds like "Super Serious" to a new player though, and if they're anything like me just ends up being RDR or Grixis Superfriends anyway most of the time which is also no fun to play against.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

Oh good.

"Ranked" sounds like "Super Serious" to a new player though, and if they're anything like me just ends up being RDR or Grixis Superfriends anyway most of the time which is also no fun to play against.

Ranked does sound like serious mode, but it is also the mode in which you are explicitly saying "I want my ranking to matter," which is true both for players who want to be actively getting better and players who just kind of want good matchups.

All I'm saying is that if you're not digging unranked matchmaking, try ranked and see if it's better. Don't avoid it just because it says ranked on it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Yeah even in gold levels ranked is still accessable, beyond that you get to the "only I may play" opponents.

• Options
    I kind of hate unranked because that's where I face 80% RDW looking for quick daily wins.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I find ranked is only better towards the end of rotation, when all the good players/tuned decks have migrated out of the lower brackets.
    Otherwise you run into the tuned decks looking to get out of Bronze all too often as well.

discrider on
  • Options
    I mean in any queue you're going to get a mixture of people who are ascending in skill level, on losing steaks and are at a low, on winning steaks and are at a high, and people who have settled at the right level.

That's just the nature of matchmaking competition. You could wait a long time so that it's as settled as possible, or you could accept variance in the quality of your opponents.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Oh good.

Ranked does sound like serious mode, but it is also the mode in which you are explicitly saying "I want my ranking to matter," which is true both for players who want to be actively getting better and players who just kind of want good matchups.

All I'm saying is that if you're not digging unranked matchmaking, try ranked and see if it's better. Don't avoid it just because it says ranked on it.

Yeah, my anxiety made it difficult for me to give Ranked a try, but after the constant hopeless losses of Unranked, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Turns out my jank kind of does do some work there. Perhaps I'd lucked out, but I actually won enough matches to get out of the very bottom rank. My White (quasi-)Weenie deck stood up surprisingly well against a counter-heavy Blue deck.

Also managed to get out a Turn 3 Carnage Tyrant, which was fun.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So many people are playing weird slow control decks in the standard event and not the fastest uninteractive deck possible to maximize grinding the xp I don't understand it.

• Options
    Oh neat, Untapped has proper stat tracking now.

My Ramming Speed Gates deck:

f7w1a5d0ue7a.png

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Is it smart enough to split stuff by matchups?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yep! These are my overall matchup stats. I pretty much never play aggro decks, so unsurprisingly mono-red gives me trouble.

22yq0xoc0oyi.png

• Options
    Last night I was watching my partner play unranked. She literally signed up for Arena yesterday and was playing unranked with one of the mono-color intro decks (with me coaching her).

She won about 50% of her games. Yeah, she encountered a few people playing serious business decks in unranked, but mostly they were other intro decks, and a few meme/experimental/goofy decks.

• Options
    BTW, of the current crop of intro decks, Azure Skies (mono-blue fliers) is arguably the best.

Yeah, it's not going to go toe-to-toe with a real deck, but there are worse things in life than a deck based around Cloudkin Seer, Frost Lynx, Spectral Sailor, Winged Words, and Windstorm Drake.

• Options
    ULGYG1Im.jpg

oh hello, better evolving wilds

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    oh for sure. I was talking with some people who didn't really understand just how bad mana was about to be, to the point where two color was going to need serious concessions to function and then they showed this and it fixed everything

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That will help a lot, though it doesn't make manabases much faster or less clunky for people interested in 2-pip cards T2 or T3.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    oh for sure. I was talking with some people who didn't really understand just how bad mana was about to be, to the point where two color was going to need serious concessions to function and then they showed this and it fixed everything

I think that's overstating the case a bit, even before we saw Fabled Passage.

Losing the checklands sucks, but we still have shocklands, and mana is never bad when shocks are around. Mana is particularly diverse right now, similar to (though not quite as ridiculous as) Tarkir block where literally the only trade-off for playing 3 colors was your bank account. A correction was inevitable.