As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    well, ground back up to platinum with the Lurrus Enchants deck for the first time since last summer with Boros feather. Replaced the Pridemates with Starfield Mystics. Works great.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    46min video?!??

Deck tech plus 11 games, so that's about right.

Yeah, he only spends about 5 or 6 minutes discussing the actual deck before he gets to playing it.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    CGB has posted several decks in the past week or two that I don't want to come up against on the ladder. He had a video on a budget white deck that he guaranteed could take you straight to mythic. Though arguably I've been seeing some form of that deck for several months now.

I got to diamond before the month was up which was cool. Did it with an Azorius Flyers deck which was basically an aggro fliers deck. It's kind of funny how underutilized flying decks are in the meta, you can win a lot of games before you come up against someone who has an early answer.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    CGB is a whiner whose entire channel is centered around overhyping his own deck techs every week without really considering if they're good or consistent. Back in Ravnica he went hard for a UW control deck running the addendum draw 2 gain 2 life and addendum scry 3, draw 3 card. This season, he's the reason you occasionally see that Lurrus pile that's nothing but spot removal and Kroxa, which generally sucks ass but is miserable to play against and punishes unlucky starts.

Winota is very strong if unanswered and agent cheating is a big part of the meta right now, but don't trust him at all on deck strength.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    CGB has posted several decks in the past week or two that I don't want to come up against on the ladder. He had a video on a budget white deck that he guaranteed could take you straight to mythic. Though arguably I've been seeing some form of that deck for several months now.

I got to diamond before the month was up which was cool. Did it with an Azorius Flyers deck which was basically an aggro fliers deck. It's kind of funny how underutilized flying decks are in the meta, you can win a lot of games before you come up against someone who has an early answer.

I'm assuming this depends on server area, too, because personally I stopped running my aggro because everyone is running Clarion and Shatter, so if you go second you're kind of fucked.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I wonder how far up ranked I could get with my Monowhite Lifegain deck. I've only used it to farm quests

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I wonder how far up ranked I could get with my Monowhite Lifegain deck. I've only used it to farm quests

I hit mythic with mine last season. Haven't actually tried it since Ikoria launched though.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Life gain would at least have a good match up against cycling, assuming you have something to deal with foxes or rescuers.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I think i'm going to be playing more Historic. I was a bit weary of getting in to it but the Meta seems to be a lot more healthy than standard so far. Also I get to blow the dust off my Knights Tribal deck.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    CGB is a whiner whose entire channel is centered around overhyping his own deck techs every week without really considering if they're good or consistent. Back in Ravnica he went hard for a UW control deck running the addendum draw 2 gain 2 life and addendum scry 3, draw 3 card. This season, he's the reason you occasionally see that Lurrus pile that's nothing but spot removal and Kroxa, which generally sucks ass but is miserable to play against and punishes unlucky starts.

Winota is very strong if unanswered and agent cheating is a big part of the meta right now, but don't trust him at all on deck strength.

He ends the video at #1319 on the mythic ladder, so he has some pretty high level play to back up his comments.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    Life gain would at least have a good match up against cycling, assuming you have something to deal with foxes or rescuers.

Every time I answer a Fox with a Blightbeetle I get a warm glow.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

He ends the video at #1319 on the mythic ladder, so he has some pretty high level play to back up his comments.

He's a good player, but the fact that he grinds super hard doesn't mean that his model isn't based on repeatedly creating "meta breaker" decks every week and overpromising their strength.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I don't know, that white deck he was pushing I'm pretty sure will get you to mythic with a moderate amount of smart play - there's a reason some form of it is all over the Bo1 queue. Though yeah, at the end of the day I think he took a fairly common deck archetype and slightly tweaked it to use Lurrus, which certainly isn't a big brain move.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Somehow I just got to historic Platinum 2 on a single session with a silly little UR Kiln Fiend/Wee Dragonauts deck that does not use a single rare except the dual lands.

People just keep not expecting the Ghostform.

Drascin on
  • Options
    The joy of seeing your opponent's Gyruda companion and mulliganing to 5 to hit a Hushbringer. Then playing that on turn 2 and having him insta-scoop :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just saw that there's 24 days left on the mastery pass and I'm level 58/80. I thought that looked a little dicey and according to this calculator I'll only make it to level 74 when the season ends. That's just great. I've religiously done all my daily quests and gotten my 15 weekly wins every week and it's not enough?!?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm level 59 and it reckons I'm going to hit 88ish

did you fill in the "daily quests left/expected daily quest" slider in the expected progression section? It defaults to 0, compared to the weekly wins defaulting to 15

Basically there's 7250 XP available from quests/weeklies each week and 25XP from each of your first (iirc) 10 wins a day, so that's 21 levels left just from weeklies/quests with a couple of days spare and not counting the daily wins so you should be fine.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Ah, OK. I had left the 'expected number of daily quests' at the default 0. When I raise that to 25 it says I'll hit level 87. Thanks for the clarification :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm only at lvl 20 so I'm debating if I want to focus a bit. Really I only care about the packs and the cat, so I'm debating if it's worth the price.

I guess I'll see how far I can get in 2 weeks and reassess.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah if you hit every daily (meaning you clear them out before they elapse, not that you play every day necessarily) you're guaranteed at least 12 more levels at this point. It isn't hard to hit the cap as long as you can scrape together 15 wins a week and pay attention to the quests.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    I get really annoyed by the miserly 25 xp per win you get after you clear out all your dailies and quests.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I don’t bother getting the full 10 wins a day. I’ll usually pound out 5 for that first ICR, but my focus is on completing the daily quest.

• Options
    I don't really either, it would be one thing if I could reliably grind the unranked queue with fast decks and either win quick or scoop and move to the next, but so often you get paired with someone who's moving like molasses, or a control deck, or someone who gets mad and ropes you.

• Options
    I played a guy this morning who was getting nut draws for his cycling deck but would still take forever. I think he forgot that any cycling card in your hand means you can't watch Netflix while you play because it's basically the same as having full control turned on.

When you guys were talking about ranked constructed queue before, were you talking about Bo1 or Bo3? I'm trying to hobble together a sideboard for the Monowhite Lifegain deck and it's.....okay?

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    I don’t bother getting the full 10 wins a day. I’ll usually pound out 5 for that first ICR, but my focus is on completing the daily quest.

I usually stop after 4 and the last 100 gold payout.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Is it generally worth it to spend gems for the premium tier of rewards for doing daily quests? Should you hit a certain level first?

• Options
    Is it generally worth it to spend gems for the premium tier of rewards for doing daily quests? Should you hit a certain level first?

I've never regretted the gem payment (and have always maxed out) but I am also 100% F2P so it's all gravy as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I've never regretted the gem payment (and have always maxed out) but I am also 100% F2P so it's all gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Do you need to spend the extra gems for the bonus 10 ranks to max it out?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing is when I take a pile of jank I built entirely to complete quests into a game and win.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Do you need to spend the extra gems for the bonus 10 ranks to max it out?

I haven't yet nor do I ever plan to.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Here's hoping Agent of Treachery gets nuked from existence tomorrow.

• Options
    I'm trying out having both Conclave Tribunal and Banishing Light in my Monowhite Lifegain deck. Both have shown uses but it may be slowing the deck down. I'm using some other removal to help but the spells are mostly those two.

• Options
    I'm trying out having both Conclave Tribunal and Banishing Light in my Monowhite Lifegain deck. Both have shown uses but it may be slowing the deck down. I'm using some other removal to help but the spells are mostly those two.

Yeah, I'd probably cut it down to 4 of one or the other. I have a deck that runs Conclave as it's only removal and it's rare you need more than 2 of them in a match.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Here's hoping Agent of Treachery gets nuked from existence tomorrow.

My dream is to never see another 3feri again.

I think most of the agent decks could be kept in check if counter spells weren't dead cards so fucking often.

BSoB on
  • Options
    See, personally, I'm less concerned about Agent than I am about its enablers. Winota, Fires, and the like feel more like the problem. Hell, Winota decks regularly annihilate me in historic without Agent even appearing - she just comes in turn 3 and out pops Haktos and the Marauders, the new band that's sweeping life totals around the nation, or other similar stuff.

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    See, personally, I'm less concerned about Agent than I am about its enablers. Winota, Fires, and the like feel more like the problem. Hell, Winota decks regularly annihilate me in historic without Agent even appearing - she just comes in turn 3 and out pops Haktos and the Marauders, the new band that's sweeping life totals around the nation, or other similar stuff.

Winota especially feels like a Stoneforge situation. They're not gonna stop printing powerful Humans.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I think my biggest problem with Lucca isn't even that he can fish up an Agent. It's that he can do it TWICE. Dude comes in at 5 loyalty and his "get the one and only creature you put in your deck" ability is his -2. If you can't deal with him the first turn after he comes down (which you probably can't, because he just stole your best thing) then there's just more larceny coming down the pike.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/june-1-2020-banned-and-restricted-announcement?asp=4
    Players who have Fires of Invention and/or Agent of Treachery as a part of their in-game collection on MTG Arena prior to the game update on June 4 will receive an equal number of rare Wildcards added to their collection as part of the update.
    big ol' bannings!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    New Companion Rule:

Once per game, any time you could cast a sorcery (during your main phase when the stack is empty), you can pay 3 generic mana to put your companion from your sideboard into your hand. This is a special action, not an activated ability.
    Huh, not the rules change I was expecting.

• Options
    Does that change bring Companions in line with Commanders? I've never played Commander. I'm assuming this acknowledges that the Companion is "A Card" and therefore can be used for various cards-in-hand shenanigans.