As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain [MARVEL] Vs. The Evil Avengers

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    --image snip--

So we've got Star-Lord, Rocket, looks like Moondragon, Nova, and Phyla-Vell, not sure who the person in the red band is?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They are part of the current team by Donny Cates!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    AL EWING IS RELAUNCHING GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED
    I was at the panel (solely because Al Ewing and Donny Cates were there), and the whole room erupted in clapping when Cates said Ewing is taking over GotG.

Ewing said that he's know for world-building, but here he's going to do universe-building; he's taking over space. The cast, he said, won't be just the people on that cover because he has the cosmos to play with.
    Iron Man 2020 ongoing from Slott, Gage and Pete Woods. Arno Stark will be the lead and the Iron Man for the MU

I just now realized that isn't going to be a comic that takes place in the far flung future, because 2020 is less than four months away.

Excuse me while I turn to dust.
    Slott was very charmingly excited when talking about getting to do Iron Man in 2020, because it meant he got to be the one who does Iron Man 2020. He said his whole Iron Man run so far has been setting up that.

Cates said that it was his dream to write two characters for Marvel: Venom, and Thor. Now look, I've seen Cates on a bunch of panels before, he's a dude who needs to be moderated just because he's a super-charming chatterbox, he's at ease talking and he'll just gab and gab. At this panel, he talked about how nervous he is to finally talk in public about doing Thor, and you could see it: his cheeks were flushed, he stumbled over his words, it was adorable. And clearly something that really means a lot to him.

He also said that he does three passes on each comic: one for grammar and spelling, one for story coherence, and one to determine "is this comic worth $4?" He says that he always tries to pack in as much comic as he can, so people get their money's worth; for Thor, he said it is THE MOST comic in a comic.

• Options
    I am 1000000% sure Hercules is joining, as Ewing said he wrote the Herc focused bits of No Road Home and the end tease which was set in the future and had Herc in space with a "new family"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

man am I really warming up to the stupid Avengers game

that seems like a real good Kamala and I'm actually really liking the performances

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

that seems like a real good Kamala and I'm actually really liking the performances
    Banner's read on "Why? Why?" was real good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the first trailer that's gotten me even remotely interested in the game

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    youtube.com/watch?v=vDDOg5d-UQQ

Banner's read on "Why? Why?" was real good

Troy Baker: he's a pro!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

they went right to the source:

I'd be surprised if Sana Amanat wasn't consulted as well

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it feels like that's also the trailer that's had the most shots of gameplay so far

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

they went right to the source:

I'd be surprised if Sana Amanat wasn't consulted as well

She's in the longer trailer that just got posted talking about it, so I believe she was?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    YEj0sZk.jpg

Armor looks good though I'm a bit iffy on the teeth. I get it and the gears are nods to the original IM-2020 armor but I'll have to see more of it in 'action' to see if it works. Nice logo too as well.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Not as cool as the last cover for 2020 that was posted

• Options
    so... do we think Gillen was deliberately setting up for this when he introduced 616 Arno Stark 6 years ago?

• Options
    One of the design sketches for the armor they showed at the panel looked really good. The shoulder gears didn't look weird or out of place or out of scale, just like a neat visual flourish.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's a real shame I haven't cared about an Iron Man comic for years

• Options
    I think I'm just not into what they have decided is the trajectory for that character anymore

• Options
    Tell me more. What do you feel that trajectory is? What do you dislike about it?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    really stopping and thinking about it

i think the only time i have liked an iron man solo story was armor wars

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I liked Gillen's run a fair bit (although the Godkiller stuff and his secret origin was eeeeh) and Fraction's run is the most definitive run the character has had in 20 years

But everything since Gillen left has been all over the place

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    It's tough to explain why it's not really doing it for me anymore, but I think going back as far as like... Extremis, and then the Fraction series especially, him altering his own physiology has become such a significant angle in that character and it feels so far afield of what he started out as.

Also the business angle of the character plot got weird as he kind of stopped being a business guy and more started... being tech willy wonka?

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I recently went back and read the Gillen/Ewing joint Iron Man: Fatal Frontier, and that was actually a pretty decent little story. It actually kind of felt like a Doctor Who pitch on some level, which was pretty funny to me.

• Options
    tdoeaehh2x52.jpg
    Better look at the GotG cover, along with solicit text and a blurb from Ewing
    Artist: JUANN CABAL
    IN 2020 -- SPACE IS THE PLACE!
    Once, they were a team of misfits. Now they're a family, and they've earned their peace. But the universe is not a peaceful place -- and it's only getting worse. The Great Empires are in turmoil. The rule of law is dead. And amidst the chaos, the Gods of Olympus have returned -- harbingers of a new age of war, reborn to burn their mark on the stars themselves. Someone has to guard the galaxy - but who will accept the mission? And will they survive it? Al Ewing (IMMORTAL HULK) and Juann Cabal (FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN) bring you in on the ground floor of a whole Marvel Universe of action and suspense!
    Al Ewing wrote:
    “Guardians of the Galaxy is a high-octane spy-fi action-adventure set against an evolving backdrop of interstellar politics, intrigue and suspense,” added Ewing. “War is coming - and if the Guardians can't stop it, they're going to be right in the middle…”

Considering the last time Ewing wrote a spy book it was Loki: Agent of Asgard and the last time he wrote a GotG member was the the great Rocket mini that was equal parts sci fi comedy and tragic noir (and also where Rocket got that suit) I am dying to read this

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ewing did write that short bit in the Guardians Annual recently where Wendell Quasar met up with Richard Nova and they talked about the disappearance of that newer Quasar, Avril.

• Options
    Oh dang, apparently Nic Klein is confirmed to be the artist for Donny Cates' entire run on Thor, which is planned to last for a while according to Cates. Meaning no fill-ins or artist swaps between arcs.

Also, the next arc of Immortal Hulk will have Hulk butting heads with both Roxxon as well as the various kaiju of the MU including Xemnu the Living Titan and Fin Fang Foom. Given Ewing is writing it I am sure American Kaiju will be showing up again.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I cannot wait to see what Ewing does with Xemnu

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Disney should hire Martin Scorsese to direct a Kingpin MCU thing.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Al Ewing GotG is probably the closest they've come to getting me to think about reading Marvel again.

So expect Marvel do so something BONEHEADEDLY stupid in the next week.

• Options
    Oh dang, apparently Nic Klein is confirmed to be the artist for Donny Cates' entire run on Thor, which is planned to last for a while according to Cates. Meaning no fill-ins or artist swaps between arcs.
    Oh yeah, Klein was the unannounced fourth guest at the panel. He said that during their first phone call with Cates, when Cates was describing the story, Klein would go "what??" after every couple of sentences.

(Incidentally, they said that the last issue of King Thor is gonna have some pages from every artist who's worked with Jason Aaron on Thor. That's gonna rule.)
    Also, the next arc of Immortal Hulk will have Hulk butting heads with both Roxxon as well as the various kaiju of the MU including Xemnu the Living Titan and Fin Fang Foom. Given Ewing is writing it I am sure American Kaiju will be showing up again.
    At the panel, all Ewing said was that the artist designed 5 kaiju, and that they are going to be attacking Phoenix, Arizona, with only Hulk to stop them. Did he say in an interview that the other MU kaiju will be involved as well? My impression during the panel was that it was just those 5.

As for Roxxon, one of the upcoming covers has the Hulk vs the Minotaur, and Ewing said that the government has failed to bring in the Hulk and so has turned to the private sector.

Another thing about the Hulk story set in the 9th universe: Ewing said that his goal was to make the audience emotionally invested in a completely inhuman protagonist, and they showed some pages with a kind of advanced amoeboid creature. He said this culture is very reliant on communicating via colors, and pointed out that the pages are missing one color: green. It's the forbidden color, "we'll see why".

• Options
    Oh another thing about NYCC: in the Artist Alley, Frank Miller's table is right across the aisle from Frank Cho's table. When I saw that, I was like "Ahahahaha

No thanks."

(Neither one has been at their tables once during the multiple times I walked by yesterday and today.)

• Options
    The covers for IH they released showed Xemnu and Foom, at least

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh shit, ok, I didn't know who Xemnu was because I'm a bad nerd, but I just looked up an image and yeah, they did show a cover of this dude fighting the Hulk

buuuuuuutttttt

I don't think it has to do with kaiju attacking Phoenix. Or, not just that. He mentioned that Xemnu (I didn't make out the name during the panel, but now I've pieced together that that's who it was) can mesmerize an entire planet, and we'll be seeing that happen. He also said that we're going to see the current Hulk fight The Hulk That Was; one of Xemnu's names is "The Hulk" or "The Living Hulk".

Delduwath on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    so... do we think Gillen was deliberately setting up for this when he introduced 616 Arno Stark 6 years ago?
    100% yes, absolutely

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    money can buy many beers

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also yeah I assume IM-2020 is Arno again? The gear thing has always kinda been his motif

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

This is the first exciting thing I’ve seen from this game.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    also yeah I assume IM-2020 is Arno again? The gear thing has always kinda been his motif

Can't wait for 616-Arno to meet OG-Arno. You know that's gonna happen sooner or later in the run.

This discussion has been closed.