As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Winston and Hog are both fine in pub games at least, I don't follow OWL. Winston is fairly comp dependent and has a few bad matchups but I think he's underrated. When he works he can dominate.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Roadhog has killed TDM along with Moira, so both of them can fuck off, grind them into the ground. Plus Hog is constantly picked by DPS who pick tank for their daily loot box.

Winston seems perfectly fine at platinum. The game actually feels the best it has since before Bridget broke the game, the only standouts that really need nerfs are Mei because duh, and Lucio needs one aspect really dialed back to pick from and not make him a go-to pick (I always write it but bring back old school wallriding, or place speed over heals in his kit or just remove headshots from his primary).

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Winston and Hog are both fine in pub games at least, I don't follow OWL. Winston is fairly comp dependent and has a few bad matchups but I think he's underrated. When he works he can dominate.

Maaan when a monkey and I synch up and we're divin' targets together and the mutton is nice and leeean... they're so perky, I love that. *

And if you got that I love you, too! <3

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Maaan when a monkey and I synch up and we're divin' targets together and the mutton is nice and leeean... they're so perky, I love that. *

I feel like monkey mostly just blaves people into thinking they're in trouble. I mean, sure, if you've got your own pocket Tracer the back line is in trouble but monkey by himself can have trouble actually finishing off the back line.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I think Hog's pretty shitty as a tank to be honest. He owns space basically the same as any DPS does, he just has a higher HP pool, but a Symmetra or a Torb who has decided they want to own the area that they're currently in can probably do so better than he does. I could see a rework for him that plays up his ability to disrupt better. Maybe adding knockback to his LMB/RMB while cutting off just enough damage to make his hook combo not as deadly without help to anything but the squishiest. Or maybe he releases a gas cloud as he huffs that debuffs nearby enemies. With a fart noise. Because I think that's fair.

Winston I think is in a relatively good place at the moment. There are solid answers to him in all three categories, plus reasons to pick him to deal with characters in all three.

Both of them feel like they should be pretty low priority for changes or updates right now though.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020

I feel like monkey mostly just blaves people into thinking they're in trouble. I mean, sure, if you've got your own pocket Tracer the back line is in trouble but monkey by himself can have trouble actually finishing off the back line.

Winston can definitely kill squishies with his own damage, he just needs to choose his timing carefully so he can stick around long enough without being focused too hard. It's all about coordinating with your teammates to draw some of the attention off of yourself.

Zek on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Winston can definitely kill squishies with his own damage, he just needs to choose his timing carefully so he can stick around long enough without being focused too hard. It's all about coordinating with your teammates to draw some of the attention off of yourself.

That post was mostly an excuse to use the verb "blave" for Chance.

I do feel like monkey does gain some benefit from the "Oh Fuck" reaction out of proportion to how killy he is but he can kill squishies. That step up from not exactly squishy though is an issue.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    sometimes its a question of trades too. Is it worth dying to a winston if your team can finish him off? Like a widow vs winston, sometimes that widow should just keep shooting him rather than try and escape and get winston low enough that he can be picked...sometimes that's not a good trade.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

LIAR! LIAR!!! LIARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    As a Zen player 99% of Winston encounters are a fucking bloodbath fight to the death within the thunderdome so I don't want to hear any of this nonsense

• Options
    I know you mean that honest and true but on the other hand, Winston needs to be great at somethin', and can anyone name me a more dive-able hero than Zen? Like Ana. I'm a Tracer player - I love seein' Zens and Anas on the enemy team.

Look at it this way.

When a Winston or Tracer (or Genji or Sombra) sees you, it's like when you see a Roadhog or Bastion. You just give your arms a stretch and give your neck a pop and it's like "oh I'mma' have some fun" and then you light that dude up 'cause it's what you were made to do. (Like Ana.)

And so we are all connected, in the great circle of counters (nods sagely).
    Torb and Sym need to be patched out. Y'know, for (lazy hand wave) balance.

• Options
    I know you mean that honest and true but on the other hand, Winston needs to be great at somethin', and can anyone name me a more dive-able hero than Zen? Like Ana. I'm a Tracer player - I love seein' Zens and Anas on the enemy team.

Look at it this way.

When a Winston or Tracer (or Genji or Sombra) sees you, it's like when you see a Roadhog or Bastion. You just give your arms a stretch and give your neck a pop and it's like "oh I'mma' have some fun" and then you light that dude up 'cause it's what you were made to do. (Like Ana.)

And so we are all connected, in the great circle of counters (nods sagely).
    Torb and Sym need to be patched out. Y'know, for (lazy hand wave) balance.

My favorite targets as Winston are Widow and Mercy. Widow, because she's basically always away from the team so won't have support and it's just such an easy lopsided fight. Mercy because she's just straight up not going to fight back AND is probably going to try to GA to a teammate and oops, now there are multiple of you getting zapped, or even better, she GAs to the front and puts herself in the line of fire.

Zens tend to be pretty easy prey too, but his discord can fuck you up fast and Zens tend to be the ones who will just stand there, take their time to line up and unload in your face because they're used to being jumped on and won't panic. Anas I'll dive too, but you're a super easy target for sleeps, and they're almost guaranteed to drop a grenade at their feet, which is going to splash you too.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Oh man. Jump at Ana and put your shield between her and her team. They got no heals she can't nade you, profit.

Now I agree Sleep and discord/barrage are things to be aware of, but if we're talking about Zens that're lining up headshots on you as you fly in, we're talking about Widows that do, too. And to me, those are scarier.

Hard agree on Mercy.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I had a great DVA match, just flying around and creaming people in the face. I am getting back in the saddle with her, although the other tank picks an off enough that I am getting better at Rein, and he's actually pretty fun. I need to get better at my sit awareness, though.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    My Rein remains atrocious, but I went on like a 5-game winning streak in comp with D.Va last night. She's pretty much always been my best tank, and now that she's stronger than she's been in a while I've been wrecking face.

Then I ran into a string of games where the other tanks just flat-out refused to play main tank (understandable) so I started filling and inevitably dropping games again. Ended the night pretty much 50-50, but on the plus side I had at least one juicy 3-4 person bomb each match. Verdict: D.Va still fun.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just had 2 games in a row where the DPS decided to not deal with Pharah at all.

• Options
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Just had 2 games in a row where the DPS decided to not deal with Pharah at all.

I want to live in a world where the norm isn't for the entire team to ignore callouts and defiant in that countering issues is someone else's problem.

I do stumble on a few such games in my dumpster tier and win or lose they are glorious.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    It is a fine, fine line to walk : being the one who is willing to make callouts and being at peace with the notion that even if your teammates hear you, they will ignore you.

"Reaper on high ground, he's got ult.

He's totally about to ult, get ready. Here it comes!"

QUINTUPLE KILL

"Unavoidable. Nobody could have seen that coming."

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    As a Zen player 99% of Winston encounters are a fucking bloodbath fight to the death within the thunderdome so I don't want to hear any of this nonsense

https://youtu.be/12z1E4fttqM

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Oh, hey. It's been three weeks since they had that dev update where they said that they were going to be making more aggressive changes and updates much more frequently.

Boy, they sure followed through on that with their *checks notes* four minor numbers tweaks and nada on the PTR.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Oh, hey. It's been three weeks since they had that dev update where they said that they were going to be making more aggressive changes and updates much more frequently.

Boy, they sure followed through on that with their *checks notes* four minor numbers tweaks and nada on the PTR.

I mean yes, they are. Those changes were only on PTR for a week. They did balance updates on 1/16, 1/28 and 2/12. What are you expecting exactly?

• Options
    Yeah, I wonder if they're starting to gear up for something again. We were supposed to get one new hero prior to Overwatch 2 and it's been 4 months since that announcement and a lot longer than 4 months since the last hero came out.

That being said, I was thinkin' the exact same thing the other day. Maybe their thought process is something along the lines of "I know we said we were going to shake up the meta aggressively and often, but... does this just look balanced to you? I think it's balanced!

We got it! We got it, everybody! Go home! Overwatch has been perfected."

(A rousing round of applause.)

• Options

I mean yes, they are. Those changes were only on PTR for a week. They did balance updates on 1/16, 1/28 and 2/12. What are you expecting exactly?

I expected them to be making more aggressive changes and update more frequently.

They've made one very, very tiny update in the nearly month since announcing that was their plan, and have nothing else in the pipeline. So not so much doing the thing that they said they're do as continuing to not do much of anything like they had been for the last 3-4 months.

Oh, and we're still in a drought of absolutely anything at all because they're skipping all new hero and map stuff for OW2. But at least they're failing to live up to the low bar they've set.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, I wonder if they're starting to gear up for something again. We were supposed to get one new hero prior to Overwatch 2 and it's been 4 months since that announcement and a lot longer than 4 months since the last hero came out.

That being said, I was thinkin' the exact same thing the other day. Maybe their thought process is something along the lines of "I know we said we were going to shake up the meta aggressively and often, but... does this just look balanced to you? I think it's balanced!

We got it! We got it, everybody! Go home! Overwatch has been perfected."

(A rousing round of applause.)

They're definitely working on an Archives event! It's the event that they said they care the most about so has to be super duper extra awesome and cool?

Just like last year's where they... plopped recycled enemies into an unmodified regular map and you just delivered a payload from start to finish, while also implementing the intro cinematic schtick in the most godawful way possible.

...Yay.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Wasn't that the one with the Doomfist and Cool Evil Omnic at the end? Yeah, introducing Rialto, right?

I liked that one.

I continue to keep my fingers crossed that this year we'll get a variation on the Graffiti skin that doesn't have the vapor mask. I like to see my girl's grim grin.

• Options

I expected them to be making more aggressive changes and update more frequently.

They've made one very, very tiny update in the nearly month since announcing that was their plan, and have nothing else in the pipeline. So not so much doing the thing that they said they're do as continuing to not do much of anything like they had been for the last 3-4 months.

Oh, and we're still in a drought of absolutely anything at all because they're skipping all new hero and map stuff for OW2. But at least they're failing to live up to the low bar they've set.

Balance changes every two weeks is pretty aggressive. I wouldn't want the balance to be fluctuating more rapidly than that, and certainly not with huge changes. I think they had already started doing it when they made the video.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Wasn't that the one with the Doomfist and Cool Evil Omnic at the end? Yeah, introducing Rialto, right?

I liked that one.

I continue to keep my fingers crossed that this year we'll get a variation on the Graffiti skin that doesn't have the vapor mask. I like to see my girl's grim grin.

Retribution (Blackwatch team) was Rialto. Storm Rising (Tracer/Genji/Mercy/Winston) was Havana.

The 'cool' thing about Havana was supposed to be the weather effects. Which is, you know, a great big "Uh, so fucking what?"

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

this artist is extremely good at facial expressions, holy cow

• Options
    edited February 2020

Balance changes every two weeks is pretty aggressive. I wouldn't want the balance to be fluctuating more rapidly than that, and certainly not with huge changes. I think they had already started doing it when they made the video.

The changes they made since the dev update video are tiny, were to characters that I don't think anybody believes have a strong presence in the current meta, and there's nothing more on deck. I don't know where you're getting this assumption that we're going to be seeing more of them in a few days, completely skipping the PTR. Even HotS, a game that is essentially in maintenance mode, patches more often, more regularly, and more significantly than Overwatch has recently, even though all it (also) usually does is bump a bunch of random numbers up and down.

I'm not saying they need to shake up the meta every month, or be putting out a hero rework constantly. They said they were going to be more aggressive, more frequent, more willing to do riskier things, and targeting the current metas. It's been nearly a month since announcing that, and they have not done a single one of those things, and from the outside looking in, don't appear to even be trying to.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

The changes they made since the dev update video are tiny, were to characters that I don't think anybody believes have a strong presence in the current meta, and there's nothing more on deck. I don't know where you're getting this assumption that we're going to be seeing more of them in a few days, completely skipping the PTR. Even HotS, a game that is essentially in maintenance mode, patches more often, more regularly, and more significantly than Overwatch has recently, even though all it (also) usually does is bump a bunch of random numbers up and down.

I'm not saying they need to shake up the meta every month, or be putting out a hero rework constantly. They said they were going to be more aggressive, more frequent, more willing to do riskier things, and targeting the current metas. It's been nearly a month since announcing that, and they have not done a single one of those things, and from the outside looking in, don't appear to even be trying to.

The way they're targeting the current meta is with hero pools, which is still on the PTR. Presumably they're working on finishing that to bring it live and it's not ready yet. And they've undeniably increased the pace of their balance changes if you look at 2020 thus far instead of just the past three weeks.

• Options
    edited February 2020

The way they're targeting the current meta is with hero pools, which is still on the PTR. Presumably they're working on finishing that to bring it live and it's not ready yet. And they've undeniably increased the pace of their balance changes if you look at 2020 thus far instead of just the past three weeks.

There have been three balance patches since early December, one of which was exceptionally minor. It is just flat out incorrect that the pace of balance in 2020 has increased compared to any previous years. Here is the patch note history if you don't believe me. The only time that even comes close is about this time last year, but that was with a new map, Baptiste on PTR, and tons of bug fixes/balance changes to the way shields/armor/etc were handled instead.
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/pc?page=1

No other period even at a glance even comes close to the current drought.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020

There have been three balance patches since early December, one of which was exceptionally minor. It is just flat out incorrect that the pace of balance in 2020 has increased compared to any previous years. Here is the patch note history if you don't believe me. The only time that even comes close is about this time last year, but that was with a new map, Baptiste on PTR, and tons of bug fixes/balance changes to the way shields/armor/etc were handled instead.

I'm looking at past balance patches, and they were pretty consistently released once per month. This year they released two in January and one in February so far, and we'll probably see another PTR this month. That's faster than before. I don't know what else to tell you.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited February 2020

I'm looking at past balance patches, and they were pretty consistently released once per month. This year they released two in January and one in February so far, and we'll probably see another PTR this month. That's faster than before. I don't know what else to tell you.

Even just comparing apples to apples, last year in the same span had a new map, a new hero, two patches in January, the Bastet Challenge, and a patch in February, and those patches included the massive armor nerf and a zillion bug fixes. How is the current pace, which I'll again add that it includes the assumption of a patch that is assumed to exist but does not actually exist yet, faster than the same thing as before except a lot less? At best, it's about the same, which is still a far cry from their announced intentions.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Even just comparing apples to apples, last year in the same span had a new map, a new hero, two patches in January, the Bastet Challenge, and a patch in February, and those patches included the massive armor nerf and a zillion bug fixes. How is the current pace, which I'll again add that it includes the assumption of a patch that is assumed to exist but does not actually exist yet, faster than the same thing as before except a lot less? At best, it's about the same, which is still a far cry from their announced intentions.

I'm not denying that content development has slowed to a standstill because of OW2, but that's not what we were talking about. They promised to speed up their pipeline for balance updates and by all appearances so far that's what they've done. The "balance changes on PTR one week and live the next" would never have happened before.

Zek on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm actually not in a hurry for balance changes rn.

While there is still room for improvement obvious...things are more stable now than they've been in...hell damn near a year if we being honest.

• Options
    edited February 2020

I'm not denying that content development has slowed to a standstill because of OW2, but that's not what we were talking about. They promised to speed up their pipeline for balance updates and by all appearances so far that's what they've done. The "balance changes on PTR one week and live the next" would never have happened before.

Okay, but that's not more frequent, not more aggressive, not doing riskier things, and not targeting the current meta.

That's... less drag time between the PTR and live, and when they're putting fewer things on the PTR less frequently, the end result is the same cadence as before, maybe less. One week PTR, three weeks nothing, is not a faster pace than two weeks PTR, two weeks nothing. Particularly as you continue to gloss over the most recent patch being tiny tweaks to only a few characters.

And this is ignoring that the new content like heroes have always had drastic impacts, so saying that they're not really technically balance patches is dishonest.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    At this point since they finally took a bat to Ligma and Craptiste the smaller patches work, outside of the giant Mei warning they just ignored.

I'd really like them to fix things on the general playability factor, as in implement a stricter leaver penalty or at least let my fist travel through the internet to punch them in the face, no stacks on mystery heroes (and each team starts with a mirrored comp so no immediate steamrolls), make TDM DPS only, stop making me only play Paris or Horizon when I wanna play DPS because fuck you, etc.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Okay, but that's not more frequent, not more aggressive, not doing riskier things, and not targeting the current meta.

That's... less drag time between the PTR and live, and when they're putting fewer things on the PTR less frequently, the end result is the same cadence as before, maybe less. One week PTR, three weeks nothing, is not a faster pace than two weeks PTR, two weeks nothing. Particularly as you continue to gloss over the most recent patch being tiny tweaks to only a few characters.

And this is ignoring that the new content like heroes have always had drastic impacts, so saying that they're not really technically balance patches is dishonest.

When have they ever had that kind of pace? PTR has always been 3 weeks at least with a lot more time in between balance patches. Including maps, heroes, events, challenges, in your comparison is disigenuous.

I can't tell if you like this game or not. Your posts are always so negative and yet you're always posting. If you so consistently have issues with whatever then at some point maybe you need to come to terms with the fact that you don't like the game anymore. I don't mean to be a jerk but it's a real downer always having to read through this every week or two. It's not just you either, there's a few other select posters that have an identical attitude.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    SirToasty wrote: »

When have they ever had that kind of pace? PTR has always been 3 weeks at least with a lot more time in between balance patches. Including maps, heroes, events, challenges, in your comparison is disigenuous.

I can't tell if you like this game or not. Your posts are always so negative and yet you're always posting. If you so consistently have issues with whatever then at some point maybe you need to come to terms with the fact that you don't like the game anymore. I don't mean to be a jerk but it's a real downer always having to read through this every week or two. It's not just you either, there's a few other select posters that have an identical attitude.

From my perspective, when I posted cool shit from my games, or amusing clips, it's totally ignored and apparently forgotten, but the moment I post anything like "I wish tanks had better feedback and were rewarded for playing like a tank should," or "they need to do more to deal with throwers because I'm running into them constantly" that's an excuse to pile on that no, throwers are rare and actually -YOU'RE- the problem, and no, tanks should feel bad to play.

Yeah, I'm frustrated with the game right now. I've barely played it in the last week, and Jaunary was a fucking miserable mess of almost constantly running into throwers and assholes. It's been 8 months since we had any content update, period, and the latest two 'major' gameplay changes announced have been that they're removing maps and now heroes. The bright spot should be that they're updating more frequently and/or aggressively, but despite announcing that they want to do that, they haven't so far, and they failed at it immediately.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif